Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Hmm, no Thai in their right mind would serve sushi, and no Japanese (right or wrong mind) would serve *that* sushi, so ... is this a Korean-owned restaurant in Springfield?

Nobody's going to guess the inferior "Cuban sandwich" in the second picture (if it wasn't from a "known" sandwich shop, I wouldn't be harping on this).

I could give you all about twenty more from the past couple of weeks (last night, for example, I had Mansaf, which is considered the national dish of Jordan - no picture needed, I don't think - this (Palestinian-owned) restaurant has moved to a new location, which was formerly an outlet of a vegan mini-chain). I wish I could say the food was good, but no dice.

18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

... is this a Korean-owned restaurant in Springfield?

Nobody's going to guess the inferior "Cuban sandwich" in the second picture (if it wasn't from a "known" sandwich shop, I wouldn't be harping on this).

Don is getting close. A bit farther north, in the amorphous suburbia of Lincolnia.

Not Kumo or Nua Haus....

1 hour ago, genericeric said:

I used to meet a business contact for lunch at Yamazato nearby.  I don't think we ever ordered Edamame (if they have it), but is the sort of pan-asian that would have the mix.  Sushi wasn't bad if you could accept what it was, which was a little 'fussy'.

Bingo, we have a winner! Yamazato it is.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, DonRocks said:

Hmm, no Thai in their right mind would serve sushi, and no Japanese (right or wrong mind) would serve *that* sushi, so ... is this a Korean-owned restaurant in Springfield?

I could give you all about twenty more from the past couple of weeks (last night, for example, I had Mansaf, which is considered the national dish of Jordan - no picture needed, I don't think - this (Palestinian-owned) restaurant has moved to a new location, which was formerly an outlet of a vegan mini-chain). I wish I could say the food was good, but no dice.

Would your Cuban have come from SUNdeVICH?

5 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Would your Cuban have come from SUNdeVICH?

Indeed. It was the "Havana," and it was nothing resembling a Cubano; it tasted something like a vinegar-braised "BBQ"-pork sandwich - it wasn't "bad," so to speak, but it had nothing in common with a Calle Ocho Cubano.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, naxos said:

Sisters Thai

52 minutes ago, weezy said:

If it wasn't Thai Square, then I imagine it's Bangkok 54

The Gang Keaw Wan Roti appetizer ($10) is one of the best versions of curry chicken you'll find in the area - it's markedly better than Thai Square's. There were about six slices of really good Thai eggplant as well.

31 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

The Gang Keaw Wan Roti appetizer ($10) is one of the best versions of curry chicken you'll find in the area - it's markedly better than Thai Square's. There were about six slices of really good Thai eggplant as well.

Well.. if not one of the above, then perhaps Elephant Jumps

1 hour ago, naxos said:

Well.. if not one of the above, then perhaps Elephant Jumps

That's right, and it brings up an issue: Elephant Jumps is "different" than any other Thai restaurant I've been to, certainly in the DMV. Why it's different, I'm not sure: Is it "region," or is it "style?" I'm blindingly ignorant about regional Thai cuisine, and would appreciate any input about any differences - this could be an entire forum by itself.

• Like 1

While I am certainly no expert, I have travelled a bit and I think that the green curry served with what looks like roti is similar to Thai food served in the south near Malaysia. 

While bread is not normally served in most of Thailand, in my experience, roti is definite served in Penang Malaysia, geographically close.

Sisters Thai has a similar appetizer that I have enjoyed .

That’s all I know on the subject.

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

That's right, and it brings up an issue: Elephant Jumps is "different" than any other Thai restaurant I've been to, certainly in the DMV. Why it's different, I'm not sure: Is it "region," or is it "style?" I'm blindingly ignorant about regional Thai cuisine, and would appreciate any input about any differences - this could be an entire forum by itself.

When I put together the Middle Eastern food primer for this community, one of my goals was to tease out a similar treatment of Asian cuisine. I am totally ignorant of the regional nuances across Asia, and whenever I'm in Falls Church or Annandale, I'm forced to wing it and hope for the best. I have a few favorite go-to dishes, but I know I'm missing a veritable feast of dishes that I'm simply unaware of.

47 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

I don't know, but I would like to go!

Well, you can. 🙂

I figure people will get this one - this place is virtually identical to how it was when I was last there, probably 8-10 years ago.

Honestly, I ordered poorly - there was too much fried food here; I was hoping for something lighter, but I didn't pay enough attention. The spring rolls were the best dish, in part because of their (somewhat) novel protein.

21 minutes ago, naxos said:

Looks like salade nicoise components ...

But sun if afternoon seems like city faces west... Toulon or Marseille

You're *so* close - it's a classic sandwich (and a perfectly good example of one) from this city.

Actually, I'll give it to you both: It's a Pan Bagnat from a kiosk, Chez Felix, where I haven't been in nearly twenty years - a lot of people get these, and walk a block to the beach and eat them either on the rocks, or on a bench.

IMG_3224.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

You're *so* close - it's a classic sandwich (and a perfectly good example of one) from this city.

Actually, I'll give it to you both: It's a Pan Bagnat from a kiosk, Chez Felix, where I haven't been in nearly twenty years - a lot of people get these, and walk a block to the beach and eat them either on the rocks, or on a bench.

IMG_3224.jpg

I'm a fan of Pan Bagnat. I have used Jacques Pepin's recipe often.

Where did I dine?

Three dishes and Mango Lassi from the Saturday evening menu:

• Masala Dosai:  Rice Crepe with Cauliflower Filling, Coriander and Pepper Chutney, Sambhar
  • Kali Bowl:  Jerra Rice, Chicken Curry, Black Chickpea, Sweet Corn & Coconut Salad, Raita
  • Chennai Fish Fry:  Fried Norwegian Salmon, Peas Pulav, Channa Masala, Tomato & Cucumber Salad

1715298281__01copy.jpg.d04f5231a2bc185163e4bc689d856a89.jpg1211798194__02copy.jpg.e3adb9d0992eec085ea41ce442d19367.jpg

6 hours ago, dslee said:

Where did I dine?

Three dishes and Mango Lassi from the Saturday evening menu:

• Masala Dosai:  Rice Crepe with Cauliflower Filling, Coriander and Pepper Chutney, Sambhar
  • Kali Bowl:  Jerra Rice, Chicken Curry, Black Chickpea, Sweet Corn & Coconut Salad, Raita
  • Chennai Fish Fry:  Fried Norwegian Salmon, Peas Pulav, Channa Masala, Tomato & Cucumber Salad

1715298281__01copy.jpg.d04f5231a2bc185163e4bc689d856a89.jpg1211798194__02copy.jpg.e3adb9d0992eec085ea41ce442d19367.jpg

choolah in mosaic district?

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Where on Earth did you find this?

Back on August 10, 2019, after a delicious dinner at Le Comptoir du Vin, my dining companion and I decided to take a walk to check out the food truck at Fadensonnen.  Instead, we happened upon Larder featuring Guest Chef Juliet Orbach cooking her Persian and Jewish comfort food for Saturday Supper.  We ordered 4 dishes to share and enjoyed a delicious second dinner!  Ever since that night, I have been following Larder on Instagram for their Guest Chef Saturday Suppers.  Highly recommend Larder and Le Comptoir du Vin.  It's such a joy discovering exciting new places to eat.

• Thanks 1