Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

If you want hyper-organized and easy-to-follow, I count about 8,500 other threads on this website that meet those criteria.

I know a good thing when I see it, and this organized chaos is a good thing. It is a thread to enjoy, start to finish - or - pick a photo, and go forward from there.

I'm with Don, separate threads in a forum and restrictions on who can post when will take away the fun!

If people just utilize the quote feature when giving their guess or comments (quote the original photo unless you are commenting on a specific post, in which case quote that post), it will be easier to follow imho.

I'm with Don, separate threads in a forum and restrictions on who can post when will take away the fun!

If people just utilize the quote feature when giving their guess or comments (quote the original photo unless you are commenting on a specific post, in which case quote that post), it will be easier to follow imho.

Just to be clear, I'm not sure everyone who expressed a view on this was even arguing the same thing. Hillvalley proposed the separate forum idea. Like you, Choirgirl, I wasn't a fan of a separate forum/separate threads but had suggested a "two at one time" rule to keep things a bit simpler. A courtesy if nothing else to those who post pics. Rocks seemed to be against both the separate forum and simultaneous topics ideas but not clear since he mostly supported organized chaos, which, for the record, I like also.

Just to be clear, my dish wasn't technically a ballotine. I'm happy to reveal, or let people keep guessing.

I vote you reveal since the place was already guessed correctly.

Next up:

Think it must be a bowl since it seems to have some depth and the surface area surrounding it is much bigger than the diameter of the circle enclosing the food. The rustic serving dish/bowl should help narrow this down significantly. The dish itself is more sophisticated than the bowl alone might imply.

Woodberry Kitchen?

My guess for the meat would be rabbit. I *guess* it could be veal, but it's so difficult to get large pieces of meat off a rabbit that it's often presented in mosaics, or roulades, etc., whereas veal is often done in bigger chunks.

Right on all counts, sir. Rabbit roulade. It was delicious.

Poached egg

Brussels sprouts

Bacon, possibly another kind of pork?

Mashed potatoes or polenta?

Greens, possibly arugula

Some kind of a sauce or gravy

The biggest question: is that a wooden bowl or plate that it's sitting on?

Not bacon, but suckling pig. Polenta. It's a bowl.

Think it must be a bowl since it seems to have some depth and the surface area surrounding it is much bigger than the diameter of the circle enclosing the food. The rustic serving dish/bowl should help narrow this down significantly. The dish itself is more sophisticated than the bowl alone might imply.

Woodberry Kitchen?

Not Woodberry Kitchen, but you're on the right track.

Right track. Hmmm. Woodberry is basically farm-to-table on steroids (inclusive of the venue with plenty of reclaimed wood) so Porcupine means either that kind of place or something else up Baltimore way. Guessing it's the former. Half the spots in town now have pigs in their names or on signs. I may be going off track now.

The Pig on 14th?

or

The Green Pig?

It's a wild card but one other idea that comes to mind given this is decently well put together but of relatively simple ingredients emphasizing local (as I think Porcupine meant with her kind-of-a-hint ;) ): Seasonal Pantry

Seasonal Pantry.

Seasonal Pantry? :D (just kidding)

Your quasi hints, so far, are tough. If I put food quality/food innovation on top (as a numerator) and rusticity/lots of cool wood on bottom (as a denominator), I can't think of any place with as big a ratio that Woodberry would have. They're one of the truly best restaurants in the region irrespective of type. And no restaurant has reclaimed quite as much wood or cans and jars its own food quite as much as they do. So, feel like whatever this is will be down a notch or so from that.

Sophisticated food. Would serve suckling pig. Maybe menu changes frequently. Lots of wood/rustic/reclaimed elements in venue design.

Birch & Barley

Whoops, I misread porcupine's last post. I thought she was saying that it was not Eola but was one of three which included Seasonal Pantry. Now that I look at it closer, I realize that she was saying that it was NONE of those. Shouldn't try to do this while also cooking dinner, or anything else, for that matter.

As far as tableware goes, the bowl is a red herring. The overall setting, however, is indeed rustic. And it's some of the most sophisticated food in the area. I didn't think too many places would meet this criteria. Now I need to go try Seasonal Pantry.

AlexC, I haven't been to Ripple in a while; sounds like I need to go there, too!

As far as tableware goes, the bowl is a red herring. The overall setting, however, is indeed rustic. And it's some of the most sophisticated food in the area. I didn't think too many places would meet this criteria. Now I need to go try Seasonal Pantry.

AlexC, I haven't been to Ripple in a while; sounds like I need to go there, too!

Palena?

Well I was going to say this earlier on, but didn't think the plating was quite right, and the fact that you say the dish is a red herring leads me to think even more that it's wrong, but I have to make sure anyway that it's not Suna?

Hmmm, most sophisticated in the area and I know Porcupine has a high bar. You didn't specifically axe Birch & Barley (which is somewhat rustic) but I'm guessing it's not since the food, while quite good, doesn't quite rise to that level. The most sophisticated/best places (truly topmost tier) are mostly (but clearly not entirely) fine-dining type venues that wouldn't be fairly described as "rustic."

Also thinking this is wrong just because not "rustic" enough though the food would certainly fit the bill: Eve.

And, if that isn't right, I'm going to step out of this one and let someone else get it. I know I'll have a head-knocking moment when this one is unveiled! :)

Re: Ripple. Go soon. I think Logan Cox's departure is imminent if not in the next couple of days?

And, if that isn't right, I'm going to step out of this one and let someone else get it. I know I'll have a head-knocking moment when this one is unveiled! :)

I know the answer, and after this morning's hint, you guys are going to smack yourselves on the forehead for missing this one.

Yep, I'm on record expecting a bruised forehead on this one. :wacko: But that's okay, I think I have a good new one teed up.

Re: Ripple. Go soon. I think Logan Cox's departure is imminent if not in the next couple of days?

Yep, I'm on record expecting a bruised forehead on this one. :wacko: But that's okay, I think I have a good new one teed up.

Me too. :unsure:

I can't see your photo clearly Darkstar. It's huge and blurry when I open it. I can tell it's a burger, with jalapeno and some skin on fries, but that's about it.

Aside, I wish people would start using something like Photobucket to upload and include photos, rather than attaching them. Would be so much nicer for several reasons. Just sayin'. :)

• Like 1

One of the BRG Burger Joint locations?

I think you just insulted BGR whose fries are never this greasy. I can't speak to the quality of the hamburger patty itself (because I can't see it), but if someone handed me this plate of food, for free, I wouldn't eat it unless I was starving. Those fries are *nasty*.

On the burger photo: yes, the photo doesn't do it justice. Didn't have my camera and borrowed my dining companion's android. OT note: iphone camera better than android camera.

Fries were the best part of the dish and I'm near certain anyone would agree if they'd been there or if I could have attached a couple of the actual fries. They look "greasy" for a slightly misleading/less-obvious reason. Not a burger chain. Burger was better than BGR's (imho).

On the burger photo: yes, the photo doesn't do it justice. Didn't have my camera and borrowed my dining companion's android. OT note: iphone camera better than android camera.

Fries were the best part of the dish and I'm near certain anyone would agree if they'd been there or if I could have attached a couple of the actual fries. They look "greasy" for a slightly misleading/less-obvious reason. Not a burger chain. Burger was better than BGR's (imho).

I'll be interested to see how (or if) this plays out, but I know I'm sure not going to guess it without a lot of hints. I'll try to make some observations: the one semi-unusual thing on the burger itself appears to be jalapeños (I assume that white thing on the left is a seed, so they aren't just pickles), and the white cheese could be jack, or who knows what. The ramekin looks like it contains ranch dressing, not mayo, because it's *so* white. The fries may have parsley as a topping, and appear to be house-cut, possibly fried in peanut oil (olive oil?).

Your clue about the fries looking greasy for a less obvious reason is interesting, but unless you got a side order of grease, it's not obvious to me what it is. And with that said, as it stands right now, this burger looks like it could be served at any of 500 taverns in town, so I'm going to bow out of this one for now. The fact that you said it's not a burger chain makes it harder, not easier - at least to me.

Good luck on this one guys! This could be anything from Wilson Tavern to Quarry House. Who knows, maybe one single hint will change everything, but I don't think I have a prayer here.

Because Don made me laugh (know he wasn't trying to :) ), I'll offer just a bit more for tonight.

Yes, the fries are absolutely hand cut. In my experience that's somewhat rare in and around town as we've discussed on other threads.

The cheese was a good quality white cheddar with better-than-average bite.

The ramekin contained a decent aioli, also housemade.

More here than meets the eye, and not just because the photo sucks.

Burger & fry pic: based on your hint, are they duck fat fries? Blue Duck Tavern?

Blue Duck Tavern wouldn't dare serve that lettuce and tomato, but your comment about the duck fat fries may be correct. I also don't think it's BourbonSteak. It can't be.

However, for porcupine's picture, I went so far as to write Blue Duck Tavern several days ago and ask if it was their dish (it wasn't).

In Googling Blue Duck's burger and fries, I found a very funny picture (unrelated to any of this).

Are they the malted fries at Rustico?

More burger hints:

- No jalapenos as a few have guessed. Pickles but pickles pickled in house (bit of a trend emerging?)

- No on blue duck. No on wilson tavern. No on quarry house. Good guess on Rustico/malted fries but, alas, no there also.

- Yes on them being duck fat fries. The duck fat and the closeness of the fries to the camera is why they appear greasy. They weren't. They were very good.

- This is a place with a history. has been reviewed extensively on all the relevant websites and by the pro food critics. Mildly interesting, not-that-well-known history but, suffice to say, reviews have spiked upward after a few years getting their sea legs.

More burger hints:

- No jalapenos as a few have guessed. Pickles but pickles pickled in house (bit of a trend emerging?)

- No on blue duck. No on wilson tavern. No on quarry house. Good guess on Rustico/malted fries but, alas, no there also.

- Yes on them being duck fat fries. The duck fat and the closeness of the fries to the camera is why they appear greasy. They weren't. They were very good.

- This is a place with a history. has been reviewed extensively on all the relevant websites and by the pro food critics. Mildly interesting, not-that-well-known history but, suffice to say, reviews have spiked upward after a few years getting their sea legs.

8407 Kitchen Bar?

Still on burger (the only active contest right now I think?):

8407 Kitchen Bar and Eat Bar are very good guesses. Better than the initial guesses before the wave of hints. And, kudos especially to Josh Radigan, first to comment on the bun. While not brioche, you're on the right path there that it is a non-standard bun like most everything on the plate.

Sorry, no on 8407 and Eat Bar. Lots of clues above now on this. Surely someone will get this. They should. It's not patently obvious but nor is it absurdly obscure. Important balance for WDID, no?