Jump to content
porcupine

Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, reedm said:

Betty's Grill

Give that fan a contract!

The dish is known as Aji de Patos.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I had lunch here today:

IMG_3393.jpg

I might say Mangialardo's, except I don't think they have any seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marty L. said:

I might say Mangialardo's, except I don't think they have any seats.

I figured someone might guess an Italian-style Deli (I would have), but this isn't one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jandres, do we get a hint? My impression is that it wasn't a good dish - it may have been healthy and palatable, but it just doesn't look good: For example, the salad looks like it isn't dressed at all, without even a drop of dressing. I'm thinking something called "Ahi Tuna Poke" that was purchased in a generic office deli on the ground floor of a High Rise for $7.95, but who knows? (This is absolutely not a dis on you; just the dish).

Where did I dine?

IMG_3426.jpg 

Hey, if I charge restaurants to take photos like this, and put them on Instagram, can I become rich and famous, or do I have to continue being ethical, substantive, and obscure; and then wait to be "discovered" fifty years after my death?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

jandres, do we get a hint? My impression is that it wasn't a good dish - it may have been healthy and palatable, but it just doesn't look good: For example, the salad looks like it isn't dressed at all, without even a drop of dressing. I'm thinking something called "Ahi Tuna Poke" that was purchased in a generic office deli on the ground floor of a High Rise for $7.95, but who knows? (This is absolutely not a dis on you; just the dish).

Where did I dine?

IMG_3426.jpg 

Hey, if I charge restaurants to take photos like this, and put them on Instagram, can I become rich and famous, or do I have to continue being ethical, substantive, and obscure; and then wait to be "discovered" fifty years after my death?

It actually tasted better than it looked. Purchased from a sushi restaurant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 8:13 PM, DonRocks said:

jandres, do we get a hint? My impression is that it wasn't a good dish - it may have been healthy and palatable, but it just doesn't look good: For example, the salad looks like it isn't dressed at all, without even a drop of dressing. I'm thinking something called "Ahi Tuna Poke" that was purchased in a generic office deli on the ground floor of a High Rise for $7.95, but who knows? (This is absolutely not a dis on you; just the dish).

Where did I dine?

IMG_3426.jpg 

Hey, if I charge restaurants to take photos like this, and put them on Instagram, can I become rich and famous, or do I have to continue being ethical, substantive, and obscure; and then wait to be "discovered" fifty years after my death?

Don, since that looks like a barely-steamed naked squash, I'll throw out the guess of Elizabeth's Gone Raw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, weezy said:

Don, since that looks like a barely-steamed naked squash, I'll throw out the guess of Elizabeth's Gone Raw.

You know, that's a *great* guess, and the truth is that my photo simply isn't fair, as I moved the squash to one side of the plate (I'm thinking of renaming this website DCFoodPorn.com :)). 

Okay, here's a hint: The restaurant is known for its work with garden-fresh produce, and you might be able to think of it if you visit our DC Hotels forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Josh Radigan said:

The restaurant formally known as Poste, but don't know it's new name

That's a good guess, but they wouldn't serve something this simple on a plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did I just spend $13.95 on this?

IMG_3796.JPG

Or, where did I just pour $19.95 down a rat hole after this, a can of Diet Coke, and a $3 tip?

(I specifically asked for "light mayonnaise," and I was the only person ordering at the restaurant - it came out drowning in mayonnaise. This sandwich was actually *worse* than it looks, and no, I absolutely did not finish it.)

And here I was hoping to come up with a secret source for Po' Boys.

Somebody check on me tonight to make sure I answer my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

shitty shrimp po-boy....hmm....too many possibilities.

Crawfish - don't waste any more time guessing: X

I cannot get this metallic aftertaste to go away ... eee-Yuck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I had some bad fried crawfish at Dogwood Tavern...did you go there?

8 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Hmmm. NO Po Boy Shop?

Ha, no - our posts crossed paths. I'll tell you this much though: On a related note to yours, two-weeks ago, I most likely darkened the door of their sister restaurant, William Jeffrys Tavern, for the last time. Every single time I've been, I've told myself, 'Never again' - this time, I quite likely mean it (although, to their credit, they had Right Proper Hâxan Porter on tap). You *really* need to know your beers to navigate their minefield beer list - I had a Grapefruit Radler that was pretty bad (the one they have at Tail-Up Goat is pretty good). If anyone from Vintage II Restaurants sees this: You're just trying to do too much in the kitchen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...