Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

The white tiles are throwing me, and so is the presentation of the rice.

There is a lot of not-readily identifiable substance in this bowl. Is the orb a meatball? Is there any cabbage in this dish?

The orb is not a meatball. There is no cabbage in this dish.

Nope. The restaurant is in the District, not in the suburbs.

Art and Soul is in the District (Capitol Hill). But, more importantly, not the right answer. :)

There are a number of southern/nawlins type spots in the city though. You've already eliminated Georgia Brown's and Acadiana.

Am I right to assume this is a lower or medium priced place? Basing that just on the white tile which doesn't seem to imply fine dining. Also, would it be right to assume you were sitting at a bar or does this place have white tiled tables?

Staying away from other finer dining ideas, two that come to mind which might fit the bill: Marvin or Bayou?

Porcupine's Italian salad: What we know: In DC, in the bar area of the restaurant (I assume this means that she was at a table in the bar, not at the bar itself); upscale food; possibly casual restaurant.

This photo has really been bugging me. The tableware looks like something my mother used in the 1970s. And, I've had way too much time at home the last couple of days, tending my flu-stricken husband and making lots of stock. So, every chance I got I ran over to the computer and I've searched the websites of every f*ing Italian restaurant in DC. I don't see this tableware, I don't see that table -- granted, a lot of places don't include photos of everything.

Anyway, I'm going to take a stab in the dark: 2Amys?

Porcupine's Italian salad: What we know: In DC, in the bar area of the restaurant (I assume this means that she was at a table in the bar, not at the bar itself); upscale food; possibly casual restaurant.

Anyway, I'm going to take a stab in the dark: 2Amys?

Remember that Porcupine (who isn't as generous with hints as some others ;):D ), wrote that the place 'definitely isn't rustic.' Not sure you could say that about 2Amys else I'd think it a good guess. Still think Bibiana is a possibility. Porcupine?

Art and Soul is in the District (Capitol Hill). But, more importantly, not the right answer. :)

There are a number of southern/nawlins type spots in the city though. You've already eliminated Georgia Brown's and Acadiana.

Am I right to assume this is a lower or medium priced place? Basing that just on the white tile which doesn't seem to imply fine dining. Also, would it be right to assume you were sitting at a bar or does this place have white tiled tables?

Staying away from other finer dining ideas, two that come to mind which might fit the bill: Marvin or Bayou?

Neither Marvin nor Bayou. Sorry, I should have made this more clear earlier - this is not a Southern creole/jambalaya, although there is tomato in this stew as well. This was closer geographically than Eastern Europe or the Middle East.

Moderately priced, entrees in the low-mid 20s. Tables with white tiles, cloth napkins.

Remember that Porcupine (who isn't as generous with hints as some others ;):D ), wrote that the place 'definitely isn't rustic.' Not sure you could say that about 2Amys else I'd think it a good guess. Still think Bibiana is a possibility. Porcupine?

Have you been to Bibiana? I cannot imagine that tableware or that table there, even in the bar. Porcupine wrote that the place isn't 'rustic,' but then she described The Ashby Inn as 'rustic.' I've been to the Ashby Inn numerous times and I would never have described it as rustic. Historic, yes. (Ok, maybe the bar area in the basement could be described as rustic, otherwise, no.) Frankly, I'm beginning to think that Porcupine brings her own tableware and asks the restaurant to plate the dish in it :P

JimRice: Wow-cheezepowder for mvp! I'd just gotten my head around latin/caribbean with the last hint but no further.

Porcupine: LauraB-too funny! But I think you may be onto something with the Porcupine bringing her own tablewear idea. Notice how she mainly posts photos and then doesn't so much guess on others? It all fits. :)

Have been to both Ashby and Bibiana. Believe Bibiana has some darker, grainy wooden tables though not exactly sure.

I was thinking New Orleans/Cajun too and also shifted to Latin America after the last hint. I thought about which places in DC have somewhat upscale Latin American food, thought of a few places including Mio, and looked at pictures to see if they had tile tables.

I didnt know what a mofungo ball was. :)

I also have no idea what porcupine's picture is - It doesn't seem like the restaurants that I'd guess have striped wood tables/bars.

Porcupine's Italian salad: What we know: In DC, in the bar area of the restaurant (I assume this means that she was at a table in the bar, not at the bar itself); upscale food;

yep.

OK, 'nother hint - let's see who pays attention to what I write in individual restaurant threads - currently my favorite restaurant and (in my opinion) the best restaurant in DC.

1. yes

2. yes

I've had a really good salad at Graffiato before, and both the unfamiliar wood and wedge of La Tur thrown on top pulls me there; but there's also something about the quality of the ingredients, the excellent cutting, and the proper dressing of the greens that pulls me even more strongly to Fiola, so I'm going to go ahead and uncomfortably guess that you had a lunch salad at Fiola.

Have you been to Bibiana? I cannot imagine that tableware or that table there, even in the bar. Porcupine wrote that the place isn't 'rustic,' but then she described The Ashby Inn as 'rustic.' I've been to the Ashby Inn numerous times and I would never have described it as rustic.

We sat in a room that appeared to have once been a back porch. Nicely appointed, but still, wood siding and all... well, it struck my as rustic. Not Hunter's Head Tavern rustic, but, you know... rural? anti-urban? Certainly when juxtaposed with the level of cuisine it sturck me as rustic. <shrug>

I've had a really good salad at Graffiato before, and both the unfamiliar wood and wedge of La Tur thrown on top pulls me there; but there's also something about the quality of the ingredients, the excellent cutting, and the proper dressing of the greens that pulls me even more strongly to Fiola, so I'm going to go ahead and uncomfortably guess that you had a lunch salad at Fiola.

et voila! Fiola it is! Though not lunch. We popped in on a whim around 9:00 on a weeknight after hearing an author talk at 6th and I Historic. One thing I didn't think of until now that could have been misleading: we asked them to split the salad for us, so the picture shows only a half-portion.

et voila! Fiola it is! Though not lunch. We popped in on a whim around 9:00 on a weeknight after hearing an author talk at 6th and I Historic. One thing I didn't think of until now that could have been misleading: we asked them to split the salad for us, so the picture shows only a half-portion.

Seriously? I know that Fiola is your favorite DC restaurant! I considered it, but the tableware and table just didn't seem right -- I've been to Fiola numerous times and I've never seen either of those. And you were there after a 6th & I? Was it Al Gore on Thursday? If so, I'm going to be even more sick -- we had tickets, but husband's flu prevented us from attending. :(

Since I already know what this is, I'll remain mum, but what do you think are distinctive about the veggies here?

Well, it's the variety. Many Ethiopian places you get the vegetarian sampler and you get three or four, maybe five different dishes. Here you get three or four with different lentil preparations, a couscous, shiro, beets (mmm!)...and some I can't identify!

Looks Afghan...is that pumpkin on the side there? Bamian?

I'm going to guess Panjshir.

I knew that with this crowd, this one would go quickly. Both were excellent guesses, but TheMatt got it: towards me was the Zamarod Palow ($15.95), towards my young dining companion was the Shalgam Palow ($15.95), and on the right was a side order of Kadu ($5.95). I made sure to get the characteristic square bread in there as well.

Bamian is a step up from Panjshir these days (and really, always has been), but Panjshir, Cisco-ish that it may be, is still pleasant.

Well done, both of you. (my son) Matt was incredulous at the possibility of all this, but I told him that with this group, it's just a matter of time. I showed him this, and he was amazed.

Porcupine: Wow! Nothing could have been more obvious than that which is my excuse ( :D ) for why I didn't get it. That and being offline when the last hint came in which would have sealed the deal. Totally knew it was your favorite restaurant; you'd posted that explicitly and I remember kind of agreeing with it; easily for Italian. On Fiola, having had lunch at that bar a bunch of times (and dinner several more in the dining room), I don't remember wood like that but guess there must be some somewhere? Or did you bring your own tablewear as LauraB guessed? :P

Well, it's the variety. Many Ethiopian places you get the vegetarian sampler and you get three or four, maybe five different dishes. Here you get three or four with different lentil preparations, a couscous, shiro, beets (mmm!)...and some I can't identify!

This is the only outstanding puzzle, and since I asked you to post it (and know the answer), I feel obligated to prod you for clues. I'd say that right now, in most people's minds, this could be any of twenty places. So how can we narrow it down? Everyone has lentils (many with 2-3 varieties), beets, and shiro (often powdered chickpeas); less have couscous - so that is the biggest clue so far. But it may not be enough to go on, and my gut feeling is that people will be flailing without additional hints unless they're hard-core Ethiopian enthusiasts (and I don't think we have all that many). I think it's good to let guessers sit awhile and, um, "stew," but in this case, it may prove fruitless. Plus, the accountant in me wants a balanced set of books. :)

Let me start by trying to identify the individual items (we all know this is a vegetarian sampler, and I have no clue what the individual things are, so I don't think I'm violating anything here by guessing). Here we go, starting at 12 noon and going clockwise:

1. green lentils, perhaps a very vinegary spinach

2. beets that will make you tinkle red in the morning (don't panic)

3. mixed green beans and deeply colored yams, more likely carrots

4. kaisa (a mild cottage cheese), oh wait, is that the couscous?

5. collard greens

6. I dread to think this is potato salad, but it may be

7. red lentils

8. yellow lentils

9. some type of squash (?), but the top piece almost looks like marinated lotus root - whatever it was, I'll bet it was good

10. shiro in the center

This, on a glass-topped white table with some type of dark wood lattice structure in the background (which may be the chair across from you at your two-top by the window), ochre walls, and what appears to be light earth-toned large-tiled floors.

Hell, that should be enough. Consider yourselves dispatched, concurrent, multiprocessor subtasks! Divide, and ye shall conquer! :)

Ethiopian is a cuisine I don't know well in terms of DC restaurants. So, to keep any others interested who may be like me, I'll put up last night's dinner. Won't call this "easy" but think it's the first of its kind on the thread and I'm sure it has to be easier (less "sadistic" anyway ;) ) than the last one I posted. Broadly popular and welcome kind of dish. And, yep, there's a hint in this intro. :)

post-2258-0-97418600-1359865700_thumb.jp

Ethiopian is a cuisine I don't know well in terms of DC restaurants. So, to keep any others interested who may be like me, I'll put up last night's dinner. Won't call this "easy" but think it's the first of its kind on the thread and I'm sure it has to be easier (less "sadistic" anyway ;) ) than the last one I posted. Broadly popular and welcome kind of dish. And, yep, there's a hint in this intro. :)

attachicon.gif020113.photo(12).JPG

Turning the picture sideways, starting at the bowl of rice, and going clockwise, do we have salmon, flounder, white tuna, scallops, and red snapper on shredded daikon? I see the powdered wasabi on the bottom, and I assume that's ginger next to it. This is a very crowded serving. The three things I'm not sure about are the flounder (which is somewhat pinkish), the red snapper (which is somewhat reddish), and the ginger (which looks something like pear sorbet). It looks like you're sitting at a sushi bar, and might have turned the plates to get everything in the picture. I'm also not quite sure what that red "cylinder," is (which part of the scallop is on top of) - it looks like a thin stick of dynamite.

The fish looks moist and well-stored, if nothing special, but I just don't see anything distinctive enough for me to guess this.

Porcupine: LauraB-too funny! But I think you may be onto something with the Porcupine bringing her own tablewear idea. Notice how she mainly posts photos and then doesn't so much guess on others? It all fits. :)

Have been to both Ashby and Bibiana. Believe Bibiana has some darker, grainy wooden tables though not exactly sure.

mwah ha ha. Actually, there have been two I identified immediately (Szechuan-style beef noodle soup from A&J; Panjshir), but logged in after somebody else got them.

Seriously? I know that Fiola is your favorite DC restaurant! I considered it, but the tableware and table just didn't seem right -- I've been to Fiola numerous times and I've never seen either of those. And you were there after a 6th & I? Was it Al Gore on Thursday? If so, I'm going to be even more sick -- we had tickets, but husband's flu prevented us from attending. :(

About that table: it's in the bar area (possibly it's the table closest to the bar, on the front side, anyway), up against the column that looks like it's filled with leaves. I've seen the brown earthenware-looking tableware many times at Fiola, most often as the side plate they put those fantastic little rolls on.

And yes, we saw Al Gore.

First hints for the sushi photo:

- first one was already given in the initial post. not just about the photo. also in what was written when posted.

- this is a place that really focuses on fish (sushi/sashimi/maki). doesn't have the breadth of spots with book menus.

Re: TheMatt. Think that may be the first dish posted here from a restaurant I'd never even heard of. But it looks good! Regular rotation spot for you, Matt?

Looks like Enat in Lincolnia

How did you possibly guess this?

---

darkstar, it's not at all obvious to me what your verbal clues are. "Broadly popular and welcome kind of dish" sounds like something you'd read on a Chinese-American menu. "First of its kind on this thread" implies it's substantially different than Yo! Sushi unless you mean it's the first duplicate which I don't think you mean.

How did you possibly guess this?

---

darkstar, it's not at all obvious to me what your verbal clues are. "Broadly popular and welcome kind of dish" sounds like something you'd read on a Chinese-American menu. "First of its kind on this thread" implies it's substantially different than Yo! Sushi unless you mean it's the first duplicate which I don't think you mean.

Maybe better than "broadly popular" is "most popular"

Two more hints:

1. This is a place really known for only one other, somewhat more 'distinctive' thing (food wise) aside from the standard fish.

2. post-2258-0-22105500-1359929636_thumb.jp

We're out of pictures so here's a new one. I moved the egg off center so you could see what was underneath

I'll tell you what this is ... this is the oddest thing I've ever seen.

Jalapeños

Cilantro

Guacamole

Green Onion

Sweet(-ish) Soy-Based Sauce

Platanos

Crema

Fried Egg

Polenta Cake

Shredded Pork

Some sort of Latino breakfast with an Asian influence?

You've got the elements or close. The sauce was somewhat sweet, but I didn't notice soy. I'll mention it's short rib rather than pork. There are also pomegranate seeds on the plate.

Latin American style dish but it's not a Latin American restaurant. (And not an Asian restaurant either)

Green Pig Bistro? (I'm watching the Super Bowl; I'm not trolling the internet for menus.)

I gave SF+4 to Jon Karl when the Ravens were ahead 28-6. This *should* have been the easiest $5 bet I've ever won. Now, I'm shuddering.

The 2008 Thomas Dundee Hills Pinot Noir and 2010 Bedrock Zinfandel (with 100+ year old vines) were excellent, however, and I eked out a 21-19 ping-pong win.

---

PS - I lost $5 because the guy took a safety. :(