porcupine

Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

And Don, please feel free to delete my post with instructions. You were faster than you said you'd be. And I *may* have had a drink already on an empty stomach. Just saying it's a possibility.

• Like 1

And Don, please feel free to delete my post with instructions. You were faster than you said you'd be. And I *may* have had a drink already on an empty stomach. Just saying it's a possibility.

Your post with instructions shows how much you care about people here. I'd rather not delete it unless you really want me to.

Your post with instructions shows how much you care about people here. I'd rather not delete it unless you really want me to.

Well thanks. :) Totally fine with you leaving it, just figured it was taking up unnecessary space.

Damn, Don beat me to it, but I knew it was Fishnet immediately as well (yay me :P).

What she said. Could have been my first WDID win but Top Chef got in the way.

Ebbit

Absolutely. (Ding! Ding! Ding!)

Kamil Kubik (who seems to be from the Thomas Kinkaide school which fits right in with Old Ebbitt Grill).

They make a big deal out of this painting on their menu, and the painting itself rests along the left wall when you first walk in - I didn't really take a close look at it (as my back was towards the wall), but it seems to be a triptych, or maybe something even more than that.

(B.A.R. - the only way someone will guess from a painting alone is with a further hint. I essentially gave mine away with the second post, but only to someone with a decent knowledge of the DC restaurant scene (hence, Craig Erion). Yours is seemingly Northern Indian, but unless someone knows precisely the origins of a blue North Indian deity (with an aura around his head? Could this be Vishnu?), they're very unlikely to get this without additional clues). None of us wants a giveaway, but we're going to need *some* hints unless someone directly recognizes this painting, or its symbolism (and that's assuming you're *really* being coy and are exceptionally knowledgable about the Bhagavad Gita).

I'd say Haandi (speakers on, get ready to do dramatic, neck-wiggling, chair dance), Falls Church, but it's not. And the reason it's not is because they have about eight of these pastel-colored paintings flanking their walls, but they're ensconced, and if I remember correctly, each of them has a rounded top that doesn't reach the ceiling (which yours does).

(B.A.R. - the only way someone will guess from a painting alone is with a further hint.......unless someone directly recognizes this painting

Isn't that the point? My hint is that you (DonRocks) should recognize it.

ETA - Actually, this is a good point. Posting a picture of just the decor (or an element of the decor) minimizes the culinary sleuth work and does turn into a guessing game. Although I am not the first to do this, I think that going forward it should be pictures of a dish, but not too tight of a shot that eliminates subtle, background hints.

Rather than delete my post above, I will give more hints: Rocks likes this place, in Virginia, Indian

BLB's is interesting. The carrots and potatoes are not cut with much precision, and the chick peas seem like an afterthought. You can see the oil glistening atop the demiglace, and the herbs (IT Parsley?) seem haphazardly draped across the meat. But the meat appears to be roasted beautifully. Thinking....thinking......

Rather than delete my post above, I will give more hints: Rocks likes this place, in Virginia, Indian

BLB's is interesting. The carrots and potatoes are not cut with much precision, and the chick peas seem like an afterthought. You can see the oil glistening atop the demiglace, and the herbs (IT Parsley?) seem haphazardly draped across the meat. But the meat appears to be roasted beautifully. Thinking....thinking......

Hell, no, don't delete it! "Virginia, Indian" is a obviously a big hint, so let's keep it going.

BLB's is, to me: braised (not roasted) pork shank, with autumn vegetables: carrots, pearl onions, hominy, squash (although it could be potato), and what appears to be cilantro which perhaps lends a Latino note. It's on a light-wood table without a tablecloth, spoon and ramekin of butter at the top, and an oily (perhaps from the meat's own juices) sauce (not gravy; sauce). This looks like a very "consistent" restaurant to me - one that puts out above-average dishes on a high-volume basis. The odd thing about this dish to me is that there's no visible starch, so I'm guessing this is only part of the whole.

I think it's too straight-forward for Oyamel, but could be Ceiba (Tunks is more direct than Andrés). I'm not spending a lot of time writing this (five minutes total), so it's time for someone else to chime in based on what I write here.

One thing people need to realize about me is that I'm not a savant; I'm a hard worker. I don't memorize carpeting, or artwork, or tablecloths (although this thread is forcing me to pay attention!) - I struggle immensely with posts such as these, and in case anyone is holding back waiting for "the master" to chime in, they'd be making a big mistake. I am no more qualified than anyone else to guess these photos, and that's why I love this thread so much - we're all on even ground here. Yeah, I have a ton of experience, and am good at what I do, but damn, this is so difficult for me, and this thread is where I want the community to come in as a whole and sort it all out - I can't do it on my own. I just can't.

This thread is a team effort, dear friends, and we've got to do it together, or it won't get done.

Where did I dine?

I have no idea, but best guess on the ethnicity falls somewhere between Israel and Afghanistan or South America. Would have guessed Faryab, but the tables don't match.

Isn't that the point? My hint is that you (DonRocks) should recognize it.

ETA - Actually, this is a good point. Posting a picture of just the decor (or an element of the decor) minimizes the culinary sleuth work and does turn into a guessing game. Although I am not the first to do this, I think that going forward it should be pictures of a dish, but not too tight of a shot that eliminates subtle, background hints.

I don't think posting decor shots is wrong; it's just harder to guess without additional clues. However, it's also somewhat educational - I suspect that everyone will notice that picture on the back of Old Ebbitt's menu from this point forward, and will also take a look to see it on the left wall also. They make a really big deal out of it - an entire page of the menu is devoted to an explanation of the artist, so it's an integral part of the restaurant. That said, I doubt anyone would have gotten it without the follow-up hint (would you have, Craig?)

"Rocks likes this Indian restaurant in Virginia" is a bad clue because I don't want to simply go through the dining guide and start flailing around with the Italic restaurants (so I won't). I would have considered Woodlands due to the dilapidated ceiling tiles, but a peek through the window in this picture doesn't show any artwork that reaches the ceiling. I do think detective work like this is fun (yeah, I'm an oddball), but a hint leading people to the fact that it's vegetarian, or Southern Indian might be even better (not sure if you could do that with this picture or not). Anyway, all this to say that decor shots are fine!

And now I have to figure out why I mistook a lamb shank for a pork shank. :(

BLB, how about a tiny clue - nothing major? I think the cilantro and hominy together are significant.

La Canela has a lamb shank on the menu, but its description and tabletops don't match the picture.

I think we're going to need some more clues.

"Rocks likes this Indian restaurant in Virginia" is a bad clue...... I would have considered Woodlands due to the dilapidated ceiling tiles, but a peek through the window in this picture doesn't show any artwork that reaches the ceiling.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! It wasn't so much a piece of art as it was a poster, and pretty much the only aesthetic flourish in the whole joint. But I took that picture specifically for this thread; for this website.

I've lived in the vicinity of Woodlands for 10 years. The first 5, I never even considered stopping in there. Shitty strip mall, decrepit interior- no thanks. But then Don at some point wrote a post about the Special Ravi Masala Dosa he had at Woodlands, and how fabulous it was. So i gave it a shot, and have been there 30+ times since. (PS - there is no $10.95 better spent than their weekend lunch buffet). I love the Woodlands, and recommend it to all of my friends.

Thanks Don.

Where did I dine?

post-2-0-74322900-1359161533_thumb.jpg

Not a hint, but a clarification: the purple is due to the flash bouncing off the black tabletop - there should be no purple in this picture, so don't let that throw you.