dr.com "Adventures in Korean Homestyle Food" Dinner at To Sok Jip - Feb 12th, 5:30 PM (Also Feb. 19th!)

Escoffier

This is totally exploratory, but if you'd like to learn something about Korean food, this could be the closest you can get to Korea without travel and airport security and the TSA massage.

To Sok Jip is a VERY small restaurant in Annandale. It seats about 30 people. It's always busy (trust me on this, everybody waits unless you are there 10 minutes before they open). There's a good reason for this and it comes out of the kitchen. This is some of the most authentic Korean food in the DC metro area.

Now the interesting part. We would like to take no more than 8 people to To Sok Jip for dinner in early February. This will give you a chance to brush up on your Korean and think about food you'd like to try. Dinner should cost around $25 a person. Not quite a Twenty Dollar Tuesday but close.

A proposed menu, shared dishes, suggestions to come. We need a serious commitment to this because if To Sok Jip makes space for us, we HAVE to be there. Dinner will be fairly early in the evening because it gets crowded very quickly.

Post if you're seriously interested in attending. If we get more than 8 people initially, we will do this again.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:30pm sharp. Do not be late. Bring cash (and your appetite).

Second date: Feb 19, 2013. Same rules apply.

A proposed menu, shared dishes, suggestions to come. We need a serious commitment to this because if To Sok Jip makes space for us, we HAVE to be there. Dinner will be fairly early in the evening because it gets crowded very quickly.

You're not going tonight, are you? This is just to gage interest?

Okay, a running tally (incidentally, Grover and I just returned from To Sok Jip...a trip to look over the menu for suggestions for dinner...oh, and coincidentally, eat).

The Feb 12 Group

1. TheMatt

3. Darkstar965 +1

4. thistle

6. Weezy +1

8. Kibbee Nayee and Lady KN

The Feb 19 Group

1. cheezepowder

2, deangold +1

4. Albert Yi

5. Soup

6. noahcofc

8. DanielK +1

Some teasers from the menu, perhaps? How about a simple chicken noodle soup with home made flat noodles similar to fettucini, hunks of chicken, and broth that has flavor enough to be considered kosher? How about a clam soup with the same noodles and a broth that reminds you of Summer days at the shore? Crisp kimchi, marinated jicama that just might be addictive, cucumber kimchi with a nice crunch and lots of flavor?

You're not going tonight, are you? This is just to gage interest?

Nope, we're gauging interest. We'll have to arrange this with To Sok Jip. If 10 of us showed up at one time, we probably wouldn't finish eating for two hours because everyone couldn't be seated at once. I'm thinking February.

There are 4 Tuesdays in February. Personal preference is Feb. 12 at 5:30 at To Sok Jip. I realize this is somewhat early, but we're serious about this being a very small restaurant that fills fast. Add to that, they don't do reservations (I doubt they have ever even thought about doing so) and that nothing is pre-made so is made as ordered and you may be able to see why we'd like to be there early. Don't expect valet parking either. There is limited parking in front of the restaurant, there is some behind the restaurant and there is a large parking lot in front of the Giant. Here is some information about To Sok Jip. It's directly across the street from Honey Pig if you need a landmark to shoot for. I'd suggest parking in the Giant lot and walking toward Columbia Pike. Turn slightly left and walk in front of the stores in the building across from Honey Pig. The entrance is on the side across from the auto parts store.

Here's a link to Google Maps. This should give you an idea of exactly where To Sok Jip is located. It is directly across the street from Honey Pig at 7211 Columbia Pike in Annandale. The entrance is between the white and black cars.

DO NOT PARK IN FRONT OF JOSEPH'S COAT. YOU WILL BE TOWED. BE EARLY, BRING CASH, COME REALLY HUNGRY. DINNER STARTS AT 5:30pm PROMPTLY!

We have a winner for the last spot Welcome cheezepowder. No doritos but plenty of Korean food goodness.

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't assume everyone will be able to make the exact date and time you decide on, so you may want to either announce a date and time, or keep taking names. :)

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't assume everyone will be able to make the exact date and time you decide on, so you may want to either announce a date and time, or keep taking names. :)

"Feb. 12 at 5:30 at To Sok Jip" Here's the deal. we spoke to one of the nice ladies at To Sok Jip and we can bring 8 people on Feb 12. So, we will arrange a second dinner for Feb 19. We'll need four people on the existing list to volunteer to go the next Tuesday. With the second date, we can take an additional four, so who wants to volunteer to wait a week?

Sure. Honestly I can probably get off work early and just drive there. How early do you think I should leave from Bethesda?

Depending on where in Bethesda, I'd say a bit over an hour to be safe. The problem is you can never tell when an accident will totally paralyze traffic on either side of the bridge.

Feb 12 works... as long as there is a way to get there via metro. I'm a carless urbanite.

Personally, I'm a hedonist :D. Annandale isn't exactly near, close to, conveniently located, within the proximity of anything Metro-centric. With that being said, If you can make it to the Braddock Rd. Metro by... oh 4:45pm, we should be able to pick you up (and we'll take you back there as well).

We're going to pick up Alex at Braddock Rd. Metro on the 12th at 4:45pm. If you need a ride, we can (with a minor bit of work carry 4 more people in additon to Alex (wear deodorant and be friendly, please). Send me a PM if you need a ride. We'll also be really nice and carry you back to the Braddock Rd. Metro because otherwise, it's a really long walk from Annandale.