$20 "Wednesday", Feb 13th, 6:30pm at Shanghai Taste, 1121 Nelson St, Rockville, MD

porcupine

Shanghai Taste is a new restaurant on Nelson St. in Rockville. Based on one visit, it seems very promising. I now have two people attempting to translate the Chinese menu. Anyone interested in a $20 Tuesday sometime in the next several weeks? (Remember, as per tradition, $20 Tuesdays don't actually have to be on a Tuesday.) If there's general interest I'll set something up. And I'll buy dinner for anyone who translates that menu for us.

• Like 2

FYI this is a tiny restaurant. With this many people we might end up at 2 separate (non-contiguous) tables. I will stop in tomorrow and find out if they take reservations (I have doubts). If not, may I suggest we meet there at 6:30? Or even earlier if everyone can?

Also, for those who can't make it, I'd be happy to organize a weekend outing except that I don't have a free weekend for a long time. So if someone else wants to take on that project, go for it.

Updated:

moi

Mr Porcupine

Soup

Daniel K

cheezepowder

DCDeb +1

LauraB

darkstar965

Tweaked

Albert Yi

We have a wee bit of a problem. I spoke with someone at ST today. They don't take reservations, they don't have a table large enough for all of us, and they don't think they can seat that many of us all at the same time at 6:30 on a weeknight. I got the vague impression that if we showed at 6:00 we'd have better luck. I also got the impression that they really don't want to try to seat a dozen people together. It really is a small place.

They do, however, have a table that can seat 8.

Here's what I propose: Mr P and I will step aside from this event. The rest of you go, and if you can agree to meet earlier than 6:30, do. If not, be prepared to sit at two or three different tables. I've cut-and-pasted a translated Chinese menu and posted it in the restaurant thread, so print a copy and bring it along.

We have a wee bit of a problem. I spoke with someone at ST today. They don't take reservations, they don't have a table large enough for all of us, and they don't think they can seat that many of us all at the same time at 6:30 on a weeknight. I got the vague impression that if we showed at 6:00 we'd have better luck. I also got the impression that they really don't want to try to seat a dozen people together. It really is a small place.

They do, however, have a table that can seat 8.

Here's what I propose: Mr P and I will step aside from this event. The rest of you go, and if you can agree to meet earlier than 6:30, do. If not, be prepared to sit at two or three different tables. I've cut-and-pasted a translated Chinese menu and posted it in the restaurant thread, so print a copy and bring it along.

At the risk of asking three overly obvious questions:

1. As small as it is, can it accommodate 12-15 in total?

2. If yes, might there be a four-top that could be next to the table of 8?

3. Get there at open or however early necessary to grab the dozen spots?

We can pretend we don't all know each other--which actually is kind of true. :D

Seems kind of wacky to me that the P's step out given the herculean efforts to first scope this place out and then work with other members to scan, translate and republish a pretty long menu!

Whaddya say, Porcupines?! We can make this work, no? :)

At the risk of asking three overly obvious questions:

1. As small as it is, can it accommodate 12-15 in total?

2. If yes, might there be a four-top that could be next to the table of 8?

3. Get there at open or however early necessary to grab the dozen spots?

We can pretend we don't all know each other--which actually is kind of true. :D

Seems kind of wacky to me that the P's step out given the herculean efforts to first scope this place out and then work with other members to scan, translate and republish a pretty long menu!

Whaddya say, Porcupines?! We can make this work, no? :)

1. I had a quick look today - I'd say they can seat about 36 total, almost all at 4-tops, not easy to re-arrange to hold 8 or 10 or 12.

2. Not really, given the traffic pattern and location of that table.

3. If everyone else is game, I am, too. It's easy for me to get there early but I was reluctant to force others to do so.

Willing to try to make it work, but also willing to step aside. It's easy enough for me to get to ST and keep munching my way through the menu. My only regret would be that it would be nice to see some of you again (or meet you for the first time).

Let's take a poll: what's the earliest you can get there? Keep in mind if your coming up the inner loop of the beltway that traffic is very heavy and can be quite slow getting to and through the I-270 spur. It helps a little if you can carpool.

Just took a look at the dining room. Photo #10 of 27 on their yelp page shows it best. Also just phoned them since no website with hours.

We can totally make this work with everyone. They told me they open each day at 11 and are almost never busy between lunch and dinner hours.

Depending on how early people could get there, we could just be confident of getting tables near enough to each other or we could have two waves with the first wave getting there 30 min earlier or whatever and getting some tea. I could probably get there as early as 5:30 that day.

I can remove myself from the list -- somehow I thought this was a lunch, now I realize that it's a dinner. Unfortunately, I have previous plans for that evening. Really disappointed, as this place is 5 minutes from my house. Hope everyone else enjoys it.

Wait list? I could be there early.

Given how the logistics are shaping up, shouldn't be a problem to just add one, Anna. If anyone can't be there by 6, maybe let us know here and I'll change the time in the title to six with the understanding that those who can be there by 5:30, please do so so we can occupy a few tables.

Updating from Porcupine's last update:

Updated (please let Porcupine/Me know if anything changes or looks wrong):

Porcupine (2) (can be there by 5:30?)

Soup (1) (ETA?)

Daniel K (1) (5:30)

cheezepowder (1) (5:30)

DCDeb (2) (6:00)

LauraB (OUT--boo :( )

darkstar965 (1) (5:30)

Tweaked (1) (ETA?)

Albert Yi (1) (ETA?)

Anna Blume (1) (5:30)

Total: 11

Arriving at 5:30, getting a table, and maybe ordering things that take a long time to come out:

porcupine

Mr P

DanielK

cheezepowder

darkstar965

Anna Blume, and

DCDeb +1 (arriving a little later)

Soup, Albert Yi, what say you?

Count me in for 5:30. See you Wednesday!

guys, just looked at the weather. they are calling for snow showers. If it is not too bad, I will make it @ 5:30. 5:30 works better for me as I can get home before the kids go to bed.

However, if the weather is bad, I will beg out. I know I am being wishy washy. My appologies. If someone needs a spot who can definitely commit, I will give up my spot. Let hope for now snow until after 9pm tomorrow.

Soup

The weather report I'm looking at suggests that it's not going to get cold enough to turn from rain until well overnight, if at all, so we should be safe.

But even if it does drop enough for flurries or sleet at rush hour, the high temperatures today and the mid-40s high tomorrow suggests that it won't stick to the roads.