Rieux

Barmini, Cocktail Bar Attached to Minibar with Beautiful, Modern Decor, Great Cocktails, and Excellent Bar Snacks

"Rye Here" with passion fruit salt, cayenne spice rub, lemon juice, maple syrup Kasteel cherry beer, and barrel-aged bitters.

1) That actually sounds gross

2) Where's the rye whisky?

1) That actually sounds gross

2) Where's the rye whisky?

Here's a more comprehensive list, that drink does indeed include whiskey...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2013/02/05/inside-barmini-jose-andress-cocktail-lab-next-to-minibar/

Rye Here – rye, lemon juice, maple syrup, kasteel cherry beer, barrel-aged bitters

Have to say, I like how comprehensive the menu is and it includes a lot of the classics I love. Old Pal? Yes, please.

How 'bout you get a still very lovely couch for about $2000 instead of the price of a car and knock those cocktail prices down to a "reasonable" $10-14 in keeping with other local spots where there's an emphasis on mixology. Seriously, $20 for a cocktail?! Just because it's at Minibar? No thanks.

How 'bout you get a still very lovely couch for about $2000 instead of the price of a car and knock those cocktail prices down to a "reasonable" $10-14 in keeping with other local spots where there's an emphasis on mixology. Seriously, $20 for a cocktail?! Just because it's at Minibar? No thanks.

Couldn't agree more.

Couldn't agree more.

Me, too. if Chef Andres wants to brag about exorbitant cost of the bar's furnishings, that's his right. It's kind of a turn-off for me given the price point of the drinks, to the point that I wouldn't care to go. But I know some people will want to go BECAUSE of things like that sofa, so I am sure the place will be a raging success.

Me, too. if Chef Andres wants to brag about exorbitant cost of the bar's furnishings, that's his right. It's kind of a turn-off for me given the price point of the drinks, to the point that I wouldn't care to go. But I know some people will want to go BECAUSE of things like that sofa, so I am sure the place will be a raging success.

Well, I spend faaaaaaar more money on cocktails than I probably should, and I highly doubt I'll ever set foot in Barmini, so I'm doing my part to vote with my pocketbook. Which is too bad, because D.C. could use more good cocktail places. Just not cocktail places with this level of pretension and pricepoint.

Looking at the picture of the bar at the Washington Post link my first thought was that it looks like the living/kitchen area of one of those window-filled apartments that you see on Selling New York on HGTV. My second thought was how many beverages I could make on my own at home for the cost of a cocktail there.

I can't believe i'm writing this, because the ridiculous prices of cocktails here (esp in the last few years) has long been a pet peeve of mine.

But i'm a bit surprised by the consistent criticism of the prices. the menu says the cocktails will range from $14-20. I'll give you that $20 seems rather high. but the last time i went to the round robin, i think drinks were $15, and at the gibson, and proof i'm pretty sure i've had some $14-$15 drinks. and isn't the columbia room $70 for 3 drinks with a small plate of food? that's probably about $20 a drink. So, i'm not saying that the drink prices are entirely justified, but with the exception of the $20 drinks, they don't seem to be that much higher than the drinks at a lot of places in town, and presumably at least some of the drinks will use some of andres' molecular gastronomy wizardry, and thus deservedly cost more than a more standard drink.

• Like 1

I can't believe i'm writing this, because the ridiculous prices of cocktails here (esp in the last few years) has long been a pet peeve of mine.

But i'm a bit surprised by the consistent criticism of the prices. the menu says the cocktails will range from $14-20. I'll give you that $20 seems rather high. but the last time i went to the round robin, i think drinks were $15, and at the gibson, and proof i'm pretty sure i've had some $14-$15 drinks. and isn't the columbia room $70 for 3 drinks with a small plate of food? that's probably about $20 a drink. So, i'm not saying that the drink prices are entirely justified, but with the exception of the $20 drinks, they don't seem to be that much higher than the drinks at a lot of places in town, and presumably at least some of the drinks will use some of andres' molecular gastronomy wizardry, and thus deservedly cost more than a more standard drink.

I think the prices are too high at the Gibson as well, and I've never been to the Columbia Room precisely because I can't help but compare its price to the late, lamented "seven cocktails and seven food pairings for $77" thing that Gina used to do at PS 7.

Though D.C. can always use more thoughtful cocktail spots, there are plenty of places serving good to great cocktails largely in the $10 to $13 range, including Passenger and Hogo. And talking about molecular gastronomy, my recollection is that even Booker and Dax in NYC (Dave Chang and Dave Arnold's place) prices its cocktails at $14 pretty much across the board, and those are molecular-intensive in an extremely high-overhead neighborhood. (To say nothing of all of the amazing cocktail places in other cities -- hi, Portland; hi, Sable in Chicago -- where the price point for their cocktails is more like $9 to $12; I recognize that's comparing apples to sidecars.)

Bottom line: if the cheapest cocktail on your menu is $14 and you're bragging about a couch that cost more than a car, I'm going to hazard a guess that you're not pricing your drinks commensurate with what they're "worth" to me, and I won't be patronizing that establishment because I will, personally, feel ripped off. Everyone else's mileage might certainly vary, and I have no doubt that Barmini will be packed to the gills.

Oh, and as an incidental aside: you'd be amazed at how many cocktails (of the -tini, -jito, and -rita variety!) are $15 at the Lucky Strike in Gallery Place. The answer is more than four. It's pretty unconscionable.

I didn't know about Barmini when I wrote this post six weeks ago. I have felt this resentment smoldering for quite awhile now, and I think it took something "like this" to flush it out (the public outrage will fade quickly, and this bar will be frequented mostly by tourists). If the market would support $25 cocktails, that's how much they'd cost. Quite frankly, the only reason I spend $12 on a cocktail these days is to avoid spending $11 on a crappy glass of Albariño or $8 on a mass-produced beer. Name your method of execution.

I'd never go a place like this. Then again, the gin-based "Halle Berry" I ordered at R24 this week (which I think might have been $12?) was both very good and the first cocktail I've gotten anywhere in quite some time. More wine than spirits for me but, even that I tend to have wine in more often than out.

I think a Cooper Mini (er, Mini Cooper) or ipad minis, while also fully priced, are better deals than anything in a glass from a spot called Barmini. :)

Let me add Graffiato and Dino to the list of places with extremely good cocktails for extremely reasonable prices (nothing on Dino's menu is more than $11, and Graffiato's sixteen listed cocktails are almost exclusively $11).

In fact, I think I'll head over to Dino after work today to partake of their wonderful happy hour, where all cocktails are $3 off at the bar and there are delicious and complimentary pickled things to boot!

But i'm a bit surprised by the consistent criticism of the prices....

sandynva said just what I was thinking. I didn't think the prices were that far beyond alot of other places, though I also agree that cocktails are overpriced in many places.

I can understand what everyone has said about why they don't want to go to Barmini. I'm up for trying new places once, and it sounds like Barmini may have some unique cocktails. As I mentioned above, I tried emailing them for a reservation. Apparently they aren't taking requests until 2/15. If I do end up going, who knows, maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't. (And I guess I should report back.)

Ok, I know some posters have already decided they won't be going to barmini, but here's my report from my visit this week.

Reservations are made online only. You ring the doorbell, and someone lets you in. You enter a foyer (where you can check your coat and where the restrooms are located) and then go through a door to the main space.

Soon after being seated, I received a delicious mini "amuse" type cocktail of whiskey, ginger, spices, and water. The staff said there are 106 cocktails on the menu. I ordered:

• Rapid blinker - rye, grapefruit, elderflower, raspberry
  • Veruka salt - peanut rum, drambuie 15, pineapple grog, simple syrup, salt
  • Jersey lightning - peach brandy, applejack, egg, lime, sugar, seltzer

If I recall correctly, my cocktails were $14 or $15 each. Yes, pricey, and they weren't large cocktails. The alcohol and flavors were well balanced and tasty, and I thought they were all great. I'd order each one again.

The menu also has 10 savory snacks and 4 dessert type snacks. I had:

• Grilled cheese sandwich - buttery toasted bread with 3 cheeses and truffle plus a dollop of honey mustard on the side
  • Banh mi miniburger - juicy short rib burger, bone marrow (which I didn't notice), vegetables. It came in a cute mini cardboard burger box

I was impressed, and I'm planning to go again to try other cocktails. I know, some of you aren't going. :P

• Like 3

Went to Dead Rabbit in NYC this week. Absolutely amazing. They don't take reservations; they have a list of 75 incredibly cool classic cocktails (see here: http://www.deadrabbitnyc.com/menus/drinks/parlor/mixed-drinks/) that goes waaaaaaaaaay beyond the standards but still has its feet firmly planted in history (with all cocktails tied to a particular provenance, being it Jerry Thomas in 1862 or William Boothby in 1891), utilizing really interesting ingredients like sherbets.

Everything I had there was delicious and pleasingly proportioned, and they were each all $14.

All $14! They were easily worth it.

I'm still not going to Barmini. :)