Choirgirl21

Beuchert's Saloon, 6th and Penn SE on Capitol Hill - Chef Andrew Markert Comes from PS7s

I'm really looking forward to trying this place. Has anyone been yet?

No, but I can tell you that Andrew is a *fine* cook. During his (very) brief tenure as Chef de Cuisine at Tallula, that restaurant was as good as it has ever been.

Their Twitter account doesn't lead me to believe it's quite open - do you have information to the contrary?

As of noon today, the windows are still covered over with paper, so, no, not open yet.

UPDATE: EaterDC is reporting a likely soft opening sometime next week.

No, but I can tell you that Andrew is a *fine* cook. During his (very) brief tenure as Chef de Cuisine at Tallula, that restaurant was as good as it has ever been.

Their Twitter account doesn't lead me to believe it's quite open - do you have information to the contrary?

Don't have to tell me. I was a big fan of PS 7's. :)

And no information here, just assumed because the website was up and running and I didn't see anything to the contrary that it was. I am rarely early to the party on these sorts of things. :P

thank you all for the kind words we are still working through the last inspection and are hoping to open late next week. that is if nothing else changes between now and then. ill try to keep you posted and i look forward to having you all as guests at Beucherts Saloon.

• Like 2

Stopped by during their first "soft open" night last night. Love the space which I would describe as cozy and old school. We didn't go for any of the delightful looking cocktails, but did sample a couple plates of food. Since it was literally their first night, I don't feel right reviewing the food but will say we thoroughly enjoyed. The owners were so friendly. Think this just may become a regular spot...

Wow. The Hill finally gets an artisan cocktail lounge like many other parts of the city. I was in last night shortly before midnight and was still able to have some real food! Amazing! The pate I had and its condiments were delicious. The pate had a smoked quality to it that I really enjoyed. The drinks are expertly made and the space is gorgeous. Beuchert's took over a frame shop that did shitty work so Schadenfreude added to the pleasures of food and drink.

Wow. The Hill finally gets an artisan cocktail lounge like many other parts of the city.

That's not entirely true. The vibe is a bit different, but Gina Chersevani's Eddy Bar (the bar inside Hank's) has been open since last summer. Her cocktails are consistently excellent and are among the most inventive in DC. Harold Black also opened a few months ago, though I've heard more about their wacky reservation policy (now abandoned) than the actual cocktails.

I went to one of the soft opening events and really enjoyed it. The space is cool, especially the blond wood on the ceiling and the the retro-futuristic light fixtures. Also, the open kitchen contained within an old delivery door (i think) that looks great. I had a beet salad, nicely dressed and the beets perfectly cooked (not overdone as often happens). Also had the gnocchi with lamb sauce. Gnocchi were light and sauce was earthy and delicious. They mentioned lunch was on the horizon.

Best of luck guys.

That's not entirely true. The vibe is a bit different, but Gina Chersevani's Eddy Bar (the bar inside Hank's) has been open since last summer. Her cocktails are consistently excellent and are among the most inventive in DC. Harold Black also opened a few months ago, though I've heard more about their wacky reservation policy (now abandoned) than the actual cocktails.

I was thinking more of dedicated lounges rather than bars in restaurants. I overlooked Harold Black because the barriers to entry have so far kept me out.

I was thinking more of dedicated lounges rather than bars in restaurants. I overlooked Harold Black because the barriers to entry have so far kept me out.

Under this criteria, I think Wisdom deserves consideration, too, though, since I've never been there, I can't say for sure (or how you define "Capitol Hill" for that matter, since it's more "Hill East"). That said, I look forward to trying Beuchert's, which seems to have a more ambitious menu than most "artisanal" bars.

I'm glad to read this positive review. Not long after their soft opening began I started going to Beuchert's nearly every night for my customary post-performance rye Manhattan wind-down. I can tell you that no matter who happens to be making the drinks there, they are consistently good and well crafted. And because their kitchen stays open until 11 on weeknights, I've also been able to sample some of the food. On the excellent paté see above. The chicken the one time I had it was not successful (under-re-heated and not well roasted to begin with) but it sounds like they have since corrected that. Their salads have been winners: simple but inventive and carefully prepared. The fries are perfect and the charcuterie is some of the best I've had--sliced on a great beast of an antique slicer. The atmosphere is genuinely neighborly and friendly. Brendan, Nathan, chef Markert and their staff are making a great effort here and I hope they get the strong support from the neighborhood (and elsewhere) that they deserve.

• Like 1

Last Sunday I was down there to visit my buddy Anthony and was happy to see Brendan there as well - less happy to see that Chef Markert had cut himself right good while cutting butter!

But the charcuterie was awesome, as were the roasted marrow bones, and I got to make a mess doing a sherry bone luge afterwards. Also, the egg cream was fantastic, and now I need to go to Union Market and try one of Gina's.

Finished a major project today after months of toil for little recompense but much enlightenment, so decided to reward myself with drinks at Beuchert's. The Beltway Boy--rye, aperol, amaro, peychaud's bitters, and a spritz of absinthe--is a lovely, many-layered drink, though maybe just a tad dark for a hot day; Bob's No. 17 (vodka, blood orange, aperol, orange bitters) was more refreshing, if not as complex. Got talked in staying for supper and opted for the "low" end of the menu, which made me excited about what the "high" end might produce. The B Burger, made of Roseda dry-aged beef, was one of the best I've had, certainly the best on the Hill--the meat was deeply flavorful and juicy; the dry aging gave it a funky, spicy, almost sausage-y flavor (the bartender said they also add butter to the mix). Bob's Cumberland and Mash was a good housemade sausage topped with whipped potatoes, pickles and mustard, with a side of housemade chips. We also shared the GPod (?) fries, fresh, skin-on potatoes sitting on top of the sauce ravigote. Heavy for the weather, yes, but so good, who cares? Based on this admittedly limited sample, this looks like it could be the best new place on the Hill in a long time and by a long shot.

I know this is such a minuscule thing to love, but I had a chance to try Chef Markert's hand at Monday's Taste of the Nation; I still cannot wipe the cellular memory of the loveliness of his housemade tomato jam. By far the best I've tasted! It may be a tad sweeter than normal tomato jams, but I think I could pair it with almost anything just so I can have some tomato jam....

Last night I had a Halibut special. Delicate and tender, the fish was served over a small bed of onion-spiked spinach with a sunchoke sauce. This was a simple but beautifully prepared dish--a cut above most of the food I have had at Beuchert's, though most of my diet there has been liquid. Brendan proudly showed off the things that are springing to life at the family farm, so the season will bring interesting things.

I just wanted to quickly weigh in and say that this place is really, really good. Fantastic drinks, consistently good food, great service. Only complaints are that the seating at the bar looking into the kitchen can be really tight. But that's a small quibble. This place is fantastic.

This place is fantastic.

This was our impression as well when we went. SE Capitol Hill has itself a winner.

You beat me to it. I have to say, I've quite disagreed with Seitsema recently, and definitely on this place. I think it is fantastic.

After a brunch date on Sunday, I went over to Beuchert's to harass Anthony. I overhead a dish that was oxtail sausage gravy and biscuits, or something like that?

HOLY CRAP I MUST HAVE THAT IN MY STOMACH

(PS they might be making the best Ramos Gin Fizz in town right now, and they use a mixer for it, so it comes out quickly.)

• Like 1