DonRocks

dr.com 2013 Spring Picnic - May 5th, 12-6, Fort Hunt Park

I just got this message:

Hey Don, the fish is called "Ilish" (sometimes you see it in English as Hilsa) and it's a Bangladeshi specialty. If you get a chance to try a pressure cooker version, jump at it. The bones become soft and edible and you get all the flavor. Maybe for the spring picnic ill ask my (Bangladeshi) mother in law to make some. Good stuff!

What more can anyone ask for than a long-cooked, Bangladeshi river fish with rice for our first picnic dish?

Not trying to change the idea of the picnic, which is a grand buffet, but imagine if we could show up in a sizeable number and have 6-8 of the area's more interesting food trucks join us...?

Or we can all just meet at L'Enfant Plaza metro on a weekday.

Not trying to change the idea of the picnic, which is a grand buffet, but imagine if we could show up in a sizeable number and have 6-8 of the area's more interesting food trucks join us...?

Or we can all just meet at L'Enfant Plaza metro on a weekday.

You aren't going to get the food trucks without a sizable guarantee.

You aren't going to get the food trucks without a sizable guarantee.

Yeah, plus these picnics are really a chance for our own cooks to shine. The food at these picnics is better, and certainly more bountiful, than you could get at any food truck in the country.

Does anyone need me to do anything in terms of kickstarting major items? Caja china, for example? Hint, hint, Adam.

Bruce, maybe you could bring some kibbee nayeh? ;)

May is a pretty tough month for me so far- my charity's derby party, mother's day+ brother's graduation, then porsche club event the next weekend, and memorial day weekend is out for me. Do we want to do a date vote? I really hope I don't have to miss two picnics in a row! I love the food we have I would love someone to freshly fry spring rolls again! Yay spring!

Middle of May is bad for us. Memorial Day will probably be a problem for a lot of people. Early June looks OK.

The caja china is a large volume cooker. I haven't seen enough of a turn-out at the last few picnics to justify it. But if you want on-site stunt cooking and porky goodness (or some other small animal), that can be arranged.

June 9th or 16th? (I would love to actually make a picnic eventually...I seem to always be travelling when the time comes.)

June 9th or 16th? (I would love to actually make a picnic eventually...I seem to always be travelling when the time comes.)

The 16th is Father's Day, so that might be a problem.

Are we considering April at all?

Fort Hunt Park, site C-002, is currently available every Sunday from April through June.

There is still availability for the weekend of the 13th and 14th of April, which marks the 8th anniversary of the website. April weather is kind of unpredictable, but some of the May - June dates have already been reserved now. How do people feel about the 14th of April? Too soon? Late June is more summer than spring, but maybe it would work.

I created a poll, leaving out Mother's Day, Father's Day, Memorial Day Sunday and/or dates already reserved. (Apologies for not rereading dates people could not attend. I just put in all dates not accounted for in the previous sentence.)
There's always the possibility of using a different site, if people would prefer that.
ETA: Creating a poll in the existing thread did not seem to work, but I also can't delete it, so I'm creating a separate poll.

There is still availability for the weekend of the 13th and 14th of April, which marks the 8th anniversary of the website. April weather is kind of unpredictable, but some of the May - June dates have already been reserved now. How do people feel about the 14th of April? Too soon? Late June is more summer than spring, but maybe it would work.

I created a poll, leaving out Mother's Day, Father's Day, Memorial Day Sunday and/or dates already reserved. (Apologies for not rereading dates people could not attend. I just put in all dates not accounted for in the previous sentence.)
There's always the possibility of using a different site, if people would prefer that.
ETA: Creating a poll in the existing thread did not seem to work, but I also can't delete it, so I'm creating a separate poll.

Creating the poll did work - it's up at the top. Everyone scroll up and vote!

I'm looking forward to a spring picnic, preferably after the crush of team dinners & before I have to throw a grad/promotion picnic in June-so May is better than other times (although we still have lax games every weekend, I can't wait until my life is not ruled by kids' sports). I'm up for smoking meats...& I'm sitting on the stash of tablecloths & sundry tablewares, so I'll be there early....maybe if someone would like to come up w/ a theme, or a challenge dish...it might inspire some creative efforts...

I'm looking forward to a spring picnic, preferably after the crush of team dinners & before I have to throw a grad/promotion picnic in June-so May is better than other times (although we still have lax games every weekend, I can't wait until my life is not ruled by kids' sports). I'm up for smoking meats...& I'm sitting on the stash of tablecloths & sundry tablewares, so I'll be there early....maybe if someone would like to come up w/ a theme, or a challenge dish...it might inspire some creative efforts...

The two leading contenders for the date are May 5 and June 23, and C-2 is still available for both of them. I doubt it will be for much longer, so the poll will be closing soon. People who haven't voted should vote now.

If we do May 5, that's Cinco de Mayo, so maybe there's a theme in there somewhere? It's also apparently National Hoagie Day. That might be even better as a challenge. I've never celebrated National Hoagie Day before :) .

Once we have the date set, we'll need volunteers to help Thistle with the setup and for the other various picnic tasks.

If we do May 5, that's Cinco de Mayo, so maybe there's a theme in there somewhere? It's also apparently National Hoagie Day. That might be even better as a challenge. I've never celebrated National Hoagie Day before :) .

This paleo chick says please god no! to the national hoagie day theme. ;)

How does Cinco de Mayo work for you? :)

Any other suggestions? I'm not good at coming up with themes and was just trying to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

The cool thing about sandwiches and Paleo is that so many sandwich fillings are fair game without the bread. Can wrap all the meats and veggies in large lettuce leaves or have on top of a salad.

Hmmm. Theme ideas if not Hoagie Day...

Guess Mexican is too obvious?

The Nationals will be playing at Pittsburgh (Pirates) that day.

Tammy Wynette, Karl Marx, Chief Bender and the actress who played Alice on the Brady Bunch all have May 5th birthdays. Could go in all kinds of crazy thematic directions based on one or more of those. :D

May is close enough to summer that it could be a BBQ theme. And, of course, zillions of great things can be grilled and smoked. :)

Only 30 people have cast votes? That's not good...

Anytime you guys want me to intervene, let me know. I view my role here as paying for the site, and letting y'all have at it.

Only 30 people have cast votes? That's not good...

Maybe change the title so people know to vote? Ppl might just think we are yacking and not deciding?

Anytime you guys want me to intervene, let me know. I view my role here as paying for the site, and letting y'all have at it.

Unless our snark-o-meters have hit a new high :wub:

I've already voted, & will try to make whatever date is selected, but I have to say, a combo of Cinco de Mayo, Tammy Wynette/Karl Marx bdays (southern/zakuski) sounds very promising, & thematically, could provide some interesting dishes...