DonRocks

Fiola Mare, Washington Harbour, A 9,000 Square Foot Italian Seafood Concept by the Owners of Fiola

This is important; to the best of my knowledge, the bidding feature is NOT in use in DC. 

Easy enough to call/email Fiola for reservations  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reedm said:

This is important; to the best of my knowledge, the bidding feature is NOT in use in DC. 

Easy enough to call/email Fiola for reservations  

Out of curiosity - why is that important? The bidding feature that has inspired such pearl clutching is an optional feature - again, as someone who has actually used the app in question paying a premium is not necessary to request or make a reservation - at ANY reserve restaurant. For example, I've requested a reservation, been presented with the option to pay more for a table, and have declined each time. Each time my reservation and meal went off without a hitch.

If anything, I would rather restaurants be able to experiment with more dynamic and market driven pricing models (let's face it, an 8pm reservation at Fiola Mare on Saturday is more valuable than 8pm on a Wednesday) if it allows them to maxmize profit and therefore (a) survive, and potentially (b) expand staff benefits, hours etc etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keithstg said:

Out of curiosity - why is that important? The bidding feature that has inspired such pearl clutching is an optional feature - again, as someone who has actually used the app in question paying a premium is not necessary to request or make a reservation.

If anything, I would rather restaurants be able to experiment with more dynamic and market driven pricing models (let's face it, an 8pm reservation at Fiola Mare on Saturday is more valuable than 8pm on a Wednesday) if it allows them to maxmize profit and therefore (a) survive, and potentially (b) expand staff benefits, hours etc etc.

It is important only in the sense that I did not want to lead people to believe Fiola Mare is using the bidding feature. I could have been clearer in my original post.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keithstg said:

Out of curiosity - why is that important? The bidding feature that has inspired such pearl clutching is an optional feature - again, as someone who has actually used the app in question paying a premium is not necessary to request or make a reservation - at ANY reserve restaurant. For example, I've requested a reservation, been presented with the option to pay more for a table, and have declined each time. Each time my reservation and meal went off without a hitch.

As the chief pearl clutcher, I'm happy your reservations have gone off without a hitch,  but that's hardly reassuring   The whole point of making a reservation is that the night goes off without a hitch!  Now, suddenly it's a great success story that you made a reservation and actually got to keep it?!?!?   Is this the brave new word of the hospitality industry?!?  

I suppose you could claim victory at the fact the you made it through the entire meal without getting out bid during the evening. "I'm sorry sir but there's someone I the lobby who wants your table.  You can pony up another couple hundred dollars right now or I'm going to have to ask you to leave."  

Ok, that last comment was a little over the  top, but what happens when you make a regular reservation for Saturday night and someone comes in after you and makes a premium reservation?  Do you get a call saying you're SOL?  Do show up that night to find your table sold to the highest bidder?  Or do you get the call saying if you want to keep your table, there's going to be a 100% surcharge to your bill?

http://youtu.be/4T2GmGSNvaM

On 10/26/2016 at 10:42 AM, Bart said:

As the chief pearl clutcher, I'm happy your reservations have gone off without a hitch,  but that's hardly reassuring   The whole point of making a reservation is that the night goes off without a hitch!  Now, suddenly it's a great success story that you made a reservation and actually got to keep it?!?!?   Is this the brave new word of the hospitality industry?!?  

I suppose you could claim victory at the fact the you made it through the entire meal without getting out bid during the evening. "I'm sorry sir but there's someone I the lobby who wants your table.  You can pony up another couple hundred dollars right now or I'm going to have to ask you to leave."  

Ok, that last comment was a little over the  top, but what happens when you make a regular reservation for Saturday night and someone comes in after you and makes a premium reservation?  Do you get a call saying you're SOL?  Do show up that night to find your table sold to the highest bidder?  Or do you get the call saying if you want to keep your table, there's going to be a 100% surcharge to your bill?

Oh brother. While I think that the entirety of your post is over the top, here are a couple things (that could easily be verified by either (a) using reserve, (b) taking a look at reserve's site or (c) me explaining better in prior posts):

- When I say went off without a hitch, I mean that although I did not elect to pay a premium I was always able to obtain the reservation I wanted, at the time I wanted it. In my experience, failing to bid over the menu price did not result in an inferior reservation time or table.

- Each restaurant has a finite number of tables in/ on reserve, and once allocated, they are gone. So in the hyperbolic example above, once a reservation is made and accepted the restaurant doesn't have the ability to boot another in favor of an increased bid, at least not how I understand Reserve to work, or have observed Reserve working.

- As to the notion of bidding in general, while I agree that the process could be more transparent (like Resy's system of paying for reservation times, for example) I see no reason why restaurants shouldn't explore it - especially during things like Inauguration week as you noted upthread.

Also, no affiliation with Reserve, but maybe I should have invested.

Anyhoo, Don - maybe time to move this discussion out of Fiola Mare's thread?

• Like 2

Looking forward to brunch here next weekend! But, just wanted to note.. I bought my friend a $200 gift card as wedding gift and then, without knowing or expecting it, got a $25 gift card for Casa Luca. That was very nice!

• Like 3

I've never been to Fiola Mare, but was thinking of going there next weekend for our anniversary.  Is it still great?  Washingtonian suggests it slipped as attention is on Del Mar and Sfoglina

1 hour ago, funkyfood said:

I've never been to Fiola Mare, but was thinking of going there next weekend for our anniversary.  Is it still great?  Washingtonian suggests it slipped as attention is on Del Mar and Sfoglina

I've only been for brunch and was just there for New Year's, and the cooking was solid and precise as ever. Special shout out for the panna cotta and the lobster ravioli, which has always been wonderful but is getting more and more eye-poppingly pricey if ordered a la carte.  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 11:30 AM, funkyfood said:

Here's the answer from Washingtonian.

I went to dinner tonight with my Mom and I am still kind of reveling over the whole meal.  We got a glass of sangiovese and rose (from a hilarious magnum, double magnum? larger wine bottle (I forget the name for the next size up)) at the bar hoping to score a bar table or bar seat as we had no reservation.  A table opened up very quickly and we jumped on it.  We had the spring gem salad, which I admit did not sound interesting or great, but it was terrific- the greens were super fresh, it was light and tangy, with peas, favas, leek panna cotta (just a bit on the bottom of the plate), cucumbers- the dish was way better than I expected- a terrific salad.  We split the adriatic seafood grill, asparagus and spinach.  Really we probably over ordered by a side.  The adriatic seafood grill had a filet of fish (I forget what it was, gave it to Mom), lots of calamari, langoustine, lobster tail and claw.  The sauce on it was really terrific.  We thought the langoustine and calamari really stood out on the dish- the calamari had nice char and spice and was tender enough to be noticeably good.  The lobster was a little tough- fine, but not as good as expected.  The sauce was just delicious, I could have slurped it with a spoon and definitely dipped bread in it.  I was also shocked how good the vegetable sides were, these were no after-thought.  The truffle asparagus were the biggest asparagus I have ever seen in my life, but managed to not be too tough and really had a great flavor.  The spinach also had a really nice sauce to it, although it was more a broth than a sauce.  Our waiter and the bar manager were just extraordinarily nice and friendly.  While a bit pricey, ($200 with tip and 3 glasses of wine) it was just delicious and fun.  

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

No deal on brunch anymore 🙁

Everything is a la carte and steep.  Lobster ravioli now $60.

I remember, several years ago before Del Mar (and Fiola Mare) opened, that Fabio made a somewhat sarcastic comment (and I can't remember whether it was on Facebook or Twitter, and quite honestly, I can't remember the specific meat) mocking people growsing that an entrée cost $40. 

This may not seem like a big deal now, but at the time, it was a very aggressive comment (not incorrect, but certainly aggressive) - now, the entire restaurant world has followed suit.

Fabio Trabocchi was a absolutely a trendsetter when it came to raising à la carte prices in DC into stratospheric levels. This is neither good, nor bad - it simply is what it is.

In the long-long term, DC's high-level restaurant pricing will be aligned with the rest of the world, and also with the economy.

cheezepowder, prepare yourself for a lot of closures in the coming years - we came out of the recession, before it was time to come out of the recession, and have been deluding ourselves ever since.

If you're a chef, sign a long-term contract.
If you own real estate, take your profits and run.

15 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The Lobster Ravioli is also a $20 up-charge now on the Fiola prix fixe menus. 

Is this a bad year for lobster?

On 10/17/2018 at 9:25 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

On 10/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, mtureck said:

The Lobster Ravioli is also a $20 up-charge now on the Fiola prix fixe menus. 

Is this a bad year for lobster?

Oh damn.  I love that dish.  

BTW:  There are some very tasty recipes for a lobster fettuccine with a rich alfredo type sauce.  I've never bothered making any type of ravioli from scratch..so fettuccine does the trick (and saves lots of time).  Wonderful dish...plus you can add as much lobster as you like.   (no - neither my pasta, sauce, or any side element equals either Fiola or Fiola Mare...but its still quite delicious.)

On 10/17/2018 at 9:48 PM, DonRocks said:

I remember, several years ago before Del Mar (and Fiola Mare) opened, that Fabio made a somewhat sarcastic comment (and I can't remember whether it was on Facebook or Twitter, and quite honestly, I can't remember the specific meat) mocking people growsing that an entrée cost $40. 

This may not seem like a big deal now, but at the time, it was a very aggressive comment (not incorrect, but certainly aggressive) - now, the entire restaurant world has followed suit.

Fabio Trabocchi was a absolutely a trendsetter when it came to raising à la carte prices in DC into stratospheric levels. This is neither good, nor bad - it simply is what it is.

In the long-long term, DC's high-level restaurant pricing will be aligned with the rest of the world, and also with the economy.

cheezepowder, prepare yourself for a lot of closures in the coming years - we came out of the recession, before it was time to come out of the recession, and have been deluding ourselves ever since.

If you're a chef, sign a long-term contract.
If you own real estate, take your profits and run.

Pretty much.

Had brunch at Fiola Mare prior to the last La Traviata  performance.  We started with the Raviolo Carbonara ($22), a large dumpling filled with a runny egg yoke and delicious jamon Iberico.  I don't find the quality/quantity disproportionate to the price.  The second dish was the Gragnano Spaghetti alla Granseola ($26) - fresh tasting Alaskan King Crab with tomato sauce.  It was slightly spicy and very enjoyable.  Again, worth the money.

I did not order the Lobster Ravioli because I think that price is completely out of whack with the cost of the ingredients and not in line with the cost of other dishes.

The third was Shrimp & Grits ($26).  The two shrimps were overcooked, but I did enjoy the boudin noir.  The last dish was Steak and Eggs ($38) - ordered medium rare.  I found the meat (filet mignon) mushy and we did not bother to finish that dish.  If we had more time, I would've preferred to try their prime rib (only available at 1 p.m.).

The service was impeccable as usual.  With drinks, tax and tip, $240.  Once upon a time, the meal would've cost half it did.

20 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Will be back on Open Table on Jan 7, 2019.  I think ditching OT in DC is very short sighted.

I am curious why you think that.  When I reserve online, I don't mind that it is Resy or Yelp or Reserve.  Are some patrons loyal to OpenTable for some reason?  Maybe they are familiar with the process and/or get points?