Visiting Monticello

lion

Does anyone have recommendations for vineyards or restaurants for lunch/dinner on a visit to Monticello midweek? My in laws are visiting and there's a chance we may scoot down to Charlottesville for a day.

Thanks!

am just in the process of looking into a visit to Charlottesville this weekend so this is based on research and not experience. We are planning to visit Barboursville Vineyards, Trump Winery, and Jefferson Vineyards. We're dining at the Glass Haus Kitchen which was recently reviewed by Tom Sietsema. hope that helps a bit.

Near Monticello, I've always enjoyed the buffet at Michie Tavern (pronounced Meeky). It's *right there*, and wonderful for people of all ages. Fried chicken, a carving station, biscuits, mashed potatoes, green beans, hot apple cider, etc. - click on the menu, and what you see is what you get. It's a guilty pleasure for me, and I've been several times.

• Like 1

Barboursville yes (the '09 Octagon has not been released yet which won the 2013 Governor's Cup; I believe Dave McIntyre said its release date is August. The $50 Octagon they had two months ago was not as good as Keswick's Reserve which is the winery we liked the most, ten minutes away. Keswick has one of Virginia's best reds, their 2010 Reserve cabernet. It was one of the top wines in the recent Governor's Cup and if you are serious about wine you should consider it. $75.00 and it is worth it. http://www.keswickvineyards.com/ A third winery is King Family who also had a red in the Governor's Cup that did well. http://www.kingfamilyvineyards.com/ This is in Crozet and one of the great pizza places in America is there, Crozet Pizza. It is a Charlottesville tradition; has a GREAT deal of character and ambience and seriously, great pizza! http://www.crozetpizza.net/

Glass Haus Kitchen is the hottest restaurant in Charlottesville and would be doing well if it was in D. C. Chef is from Standard Grocery in Staunton. Sietsema gave it two and one half stars; only open a couple of months and the chef is one of the ten semi-finalists for a Beard award in the mid Atlantic (i.e. Woodbury Kitchen, Charleston, Eve, Komi, etc. north to the Hudson river) http://www.glasshauskitchen.com/

Until Barboursville releases the new Octagon in August Keswick is the other winery to go to right now. Again, about ten minutes on back roads.

Near Monticello, I've always enjoyed the buffet at Michie Tavern (pronounced Meeky). It's *right there*, and wonderful for people of all ages. Fried chicken, a carving station, biscuits, mashed potatoes, green beans, hot apple cider, etc. - click on the menu, and what you see is what you get. It's a guilty pleasure for me, and I've been several times.

We ended up there for lunch since the the day's activities made it difficult to stop by any of the vineyards. Very enjoyable comfort food for a cold and windy afternoon. The fried chicken was unbelievably crispy and juicy.

Thanks Don!

On 6/21/2020 at 2:04 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Thinking about going to Monticello next weekend.  Never been.  Hopefully it won't be burned to the ground before we get to see it.  Will likely grab a bite at Michie - they have beer/wine?

Yes - I suspect hard cider is your best bet.

I've been here 4-5 times in the past, and have always gotten the buffet (the fried chicken is good).

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 21.32.18.png

I took these on Jun 22, 2019: IMG_2097.jpgIMG_2099.jpg

In the midst of the pandemic, Michie's is serving indoors, with every other table available for seating.  Monticello is only selling tickets online and you have to reserve an entry time.  We stayed overnight at Boar's Head Resort.  You can download their app and then use your phone as digital key (bluetooth).  However, I couldn't figure out how to check out using their app.  We did go to the pool but the kids played by themselves.  This was our first overnight trip since the pandemic started - felt more like a hassle than a fun trip.

• Confused 1