Rye Bread

The Doctor

Where are you?

I like the rye from the bread place in the shopping center next to Strosneider's in Bethesda a lot. (Sorry. Forgot the bakery's actual name.) Czech friends say the breads from there are much like those in Czech. (I thought the bread in Czech was better, but this is good)

Oh, and you might also try La Caprice DC on 14th and Oak. (Where the old Giant was.) They make nice bread, although I have not had the rye.

I like the rye from the bread place in the shopping center next to Strosneider's in Bethesda a lot. (Sorry. Forgot the bakery's actual name.) Czech friends say the breads from there are much like those in Czech. (I thought the bread in Czech was better, but this is good)

I thought they didn't take Czechs.

Where are you?

Oh, and you might also try La Caprice DC on 14th and Oak. (Where the old Giant was.) They make nice bread, although I have not had the rye.

When I lived in Bethesda I used to go to that place. They had good ryes also IMHO.

It's called Breads Unlimited. If you want rye with caraway seeds you have to ask for "corn rye"-- if you ask for seeded rye they will tell you they don't have that.

But do you think they are good, Zora, seeded or not? My experience is from over a decade ago...but I probably bought ryes from there for a decade before that and was very pleased.

Breads Unlimited sounds like a good bet. Their website has a long list of rye bread options: Brooklyn Rye, Corn Rye, European or Pesant Rye, German Rye, Onion Rye, Seedless Rye, Rye, Walnut Raisin Rye, and Whole Grain Rye. Do they slice their bread? (Or at least on request?) I was instructed to bring a sliced, seeded rye.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm in Adams Morgan, so I probably wouldn't venture to both Union Market and Bethesda, since they're in opposite directions. However the Jewish Rye at Lyon looks like it may fit the bill. Le Caprice, maybe.

Breads Unlimited. Do they slice their bread? (Or at least on request?)

Le Caprice, maybe.

Yes, they will (or maybe do. I forget.) slice the bread at Breads Unlimited.

Caprice is good.

Adams Morgan - have you checked if Heller's has rye?

The good news: donrockwell.com now has a definitive threat on where to find good rye bread, or indeed any bread, in the DC area.

The bad news: After calling Breads Unlimited yesterday afternoon and learning their stock of ryes was nearly depleted, and then several friends asking me to consider the value of bringing the freshest bread possible, I ended up going to the Firehook Bakery down the street this morning and picking up two loaves of Jewish rye. Happy Easter!

I just came home with a loaf of corn rye from Breads Unlimited, and after eating a couple of slices with butter, J. declared it perhaps the most perfect rye he'd eaten since leaving NYC. Crispy crust, tender moist crumb, and that Proustian aroma/flavor of caraway, for those who have grown up eating this kind of rye bread.