La Tagliatella, a Poland-Based Italian Chain Owned by AmRest - Both Clarendon and Germantown Branches are Closed

New here but have been into the NoVA food scene for a while -- just curious if anyone has heard what's replacing La Tagliatella in Clarendon. A commenter over at ArlNow claims that a huge (500+ restaurant) chain has swooped in to take over the space. Anyone have any insider information?

Can't be any worse, I hope!

New here but have been into the NoVA food scene for a while -- just curious if anyone has heard what's replacing La Tagliatella in Clarendon. A commenter over at ArlNow claims that a huge (500+ restaurant) chain has swooped in to take over the space. Anyone have any insider information?

Can't be any worse, I hope!

Although I don't know any specifics (btw, welcome, dano!), I don't see how it could be anything *but* a large chain. Look at the location, look at the space - it's amazing Restaurant 3 lasted as long as it did, quite frankly. The odds of any restaurant of merit going into that building are quite low, and I'm saying that just based on the situation.

La Tagliatella was *horrible*. But look across the street from it.

Gawd. This sounds SO utterly horrifying that I'm considering going. I mean, something's got to hold the bottom of the tent down, right?

Having heard about the, er, origins of the joint when news got out that it was coming to town, I was immediately skeptical. And then seeing the truly brilliant WaPo review, my worst suspicions were confirmed. So despite walking by the place easily 200 times, I never dared to go in.

But while we're on the topic of bad Italian, what are follks' go-to Italian restaurants in NoVA? I've had trouble finding chill but excellent Italian food in the area. So being Italian myself, I tend to just make my own. But I'd love a good, easy, reasonably priced spot to frequent. (Sorry if this question belongs in a different forum, still trying to figure out how this all works.)

• Like 1

The unloved (on here) Pazzo Pomodoro in Vienna is pretty solid Italian.  Not fancy, but solid (like I said).

Kibbee, why do you say that Orso is on the decline?  We have not been since Will left (not the reason), but some reports have it holding the line on quality.

• Like 1

The unloved (on here) Pazzo Pomodoro in Vienna is pretty solid Italian.  Not fancy, but solid (like I said).

Kibbee, why do you say that Orso is on the decline?  We have not been since Will left (not the reason), but some reports have it holding the line on quality.

I'm just summarizing the thoughts of those who miss Will, and who bemoan the smaller menu....but I included it because I still like it.

I'm just summarizing the thoughts of those who miss Will, and who bemoan the smaller menu....but I included it because I still like it.

Not just a smaller menu, but a much less interesting one.  The mains are all burger, panino, chicken parm, fairly straightforward pastas, etc.  Some of the apps are a little bit interesting, but overall Will's inventive cooking has been lost from the menu, and I no longer see a reason to go to Falls Church for this food.

However, the straightforward-not-fancy-but-solid Italian place we used to go to in Arlington is gone.  I'd love to find another place - even better if it does delivery.  Pupatella is marvelous and definitely the place for pizza and fritti, but for straightforward pasta dishes (shrimp fra diavolo, etc.), I'm looking for a new place in Arlington.

After leaving the Germantown Wegmans yesterday, I noticed that La Tagliatella looked very empty.  I pulled my car into the parking lot, got out, and it was, empty, with doors locked.  I am guessing that this means the location has closed (there was no sign on the door).  I peered through the windows, and the bar looked cleaned out and the tap handles removed from the taps.  Was this the last open location in the area?

• Like 1

After leaving the Germantown Wegmans yesterday, I noticed that La Tagliatella looked very empty.  I pulled my car into the parking lot, got out, and it was, empty, with doors locked.  I am guessing that this means the location has closed (there was no sign on the door).  I peered through the windows, and the bar looked cleaned out and the tap handles removed from the taps.  Was this the last open location in the area?

Indeed it was.

• Like 1