Maketto, Asian Street Food and Fashion Market at H Street and Linden Court NE

We went for a late lunch on Sunday, and it wasn't remotely crowded. You don't get the full menu, but what they have is fantastic. And given how gorgeous it was yesterday, it was wonderful to sit outside. 

Mark: we did the exact same...stopped by around 10:00 am, realized they didn't serve lunch until 11:30, got a coffee, then wandered up and down H before returning around 12:30 pm. I was really surprised at how few people were there for lunch after seeing what it was like on Saturday night, when it took me damn near 20 minutes just to get a cocktail at the bar. Love the layout, that back area is perfect on a beautiful day, and the Cambodian sandwich is on point.

Cheers!

• Like 2

I was there on Saturday afternoon and it wasn't too crowded. The cafe menu has four items and we ordered them all.  Cambodian pork noodle soup was by far my favorite of the dishes. Pork steam bao and pan-fried leek buns were good but nothing very special- a little heavy.  Soy milk and Chinese doughnuts (looks like churros- but not as sweet)- are good but I prefer a little more sugar in my dessert.

I love the mixed-use concept, the space is beautiful, and I will definitely return for dinner sometime.

I found it amusing and annoying that Maketto had been open for two days, and a greeter at the door asked if we've been here before.  I think they need a better opening line!

• Like 2

I absolutely love this space, though I found it a little confusing to navigate.  When I first saw the stories about the conception of the business however many years ago that was, it didn't sound appealing to me.  I doubt I'm remotely near their target demographic.  But the execution of the idea has been fantastic.

Today t stopped in for mid-morning coffee and hung around reading until lunch service started.  I ordered too much food and brought a lot home.  I forgot how big the soup bowls were at the Union Market space, and so just the soup would have been more than enough.  That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the Cambodian pork noodle soup and will be enjoying it again for dinner, along with the Cambodian pork sandwich. On the latter, I thought I was ordering the pork bun, but I probably wasn't clear in my choice of words.  I should have realized the error in translation when the total price was higher than I expected.  The sandwich looks delicious, but I decided to leave it intact and focus on eating as much soup as I could.  Even though I thought I ate a decent amount of it, the bowl was still quite heavy as I carried it on the walk home.  I wonder how much the full portion weighs in pounds :ph34r:  ;) .

I wasn't impressed with the space or the food. Admittedly they are going for a look and feel that I don't enjoy: urban, hipster, sparse, uncomfortable chairs, loud music. I ordered the soy milk and Chinese donuts and the pork buns.  The donuts were greasy, heavy, and bland.  The milk was served in a big, plastic soup bowl which was awkward to drink from.  As mentioned above the pork buns were fine.  I found them on the spicier side, which annoyed me as there was no warning about the spice.

My biggest pet peeve about the place was the use of plastic bowls, disposable plates, and bathroom paper towels.  How hard is it to buy real napkins?  Why serve the soy milk in a soup bowl that is going to be thrown away and take up space in a landfill when you have mugs for coffee?  The less than polite reply from the manager type person when I inquired if the disposable bowls were temporary or permanent will keep me from returning any time soon.

• Like 1

My biggest pet peeve about the place was the use of plastic bowls, disposable plates, and bathroom paper towels.  

I get that you don't like the place, but do you hold all the places you frequent to this standard?  This would wipe out like 60% of my food options.  To provide context for those who haven't been here, you wait at the counter, place your order and pay, and then wait for the food to be brought out.  I have not experienced table service for breakfast/lunch here.

• Like 2

If they were only using disposable for everything, I would feel differently about the bowls.  And I realize and appreciate that with Chinese donuts and soybean milk the milk is traditionally served in bowls.  But if you are already washing dishes for beverages why not buy an extra dozen or two bowls to use and save some landfill space?  The bowls that they use are awkward to pick up and drink out of.

And yes, I expect actual napkins, not bathroom paper towels, from a restaurant.

• Like 1

I see you are doubling down.  You are a cornerstone member of this DonRockwell community, and I don't take that lightly.  Still, I find your review here Yelpish and unfair, and I just want to defend an emerging business and this website's standards.

You ordered 2 dishes.  On one hand, you say the donuts are bland.  On the other hand, you say the pork bao are annoyingly on the spicier side.  Perhaps you would have preferred your donuts spicer, say with cinnamon sugar, and your bao more bland.  I would have yawned with this alternative.  You present a very narrow range for an acceptable taste profile here.  Moreover, these flavors reflect fairly the Asian presentation of those items.  You do say your donuts were heavy and greasy, I would not have found that acceptable if my order (as pictured in post #49) had been presented that way.

You ask "How hard is it to buy real napkins?"  Then you criticize the "manager type" for being less than polite.  See a disconnect here?

Speaking of napkins.  Clearly we are talking about clean, paper-based amenities.  Last night, I dined at Hill Country, where they keep rolls of paper towels on the table as napkins, the same type used to clean countertops, windows, and yes bathrooms.  Countless other BBQ joints do the same thing, as well as wharf venues.  Have never heard these places criticized for their napkins.  I get that your personal preference is otherwise, but is this really fair game to criticize?

Implicit in your posts is that there isn't value.  We are talking about a $4 Chinese donuts and soy milk (two donuts and about an 8 ounce pour of soy milk), and a $6 pair of pork bao.  I have a picture of this breakfast at post #49 in this thread, with the napkin.  A $10 breakfast for 2, aplenty.  I don't think you can buy breakfast meals at McDonalds for less than $10 for two.   Recently there was a DonRockwell challenge to name a $150 dinner for two, all-in, including $25 for corkage.  Not a lot of contenders.

Finally, I don't recall any individual restaurant being criticized for their carbon footprint or whatever on this website.  I agree that this is an important issue, but I would take on the entire industry instead of criticizing Maketto on their opening week.

I live nearby, and consider Maketto and their staff my neighbors.  While I think they are fair game for criticism and that people should vote with their dollars, I don't think they should be subject to higher standards than those that other similar restaurants, especially in their infancy, are evaluated on.

• Like 2

I'm not going to defend my review: negative opinions of beloved restaurants are never fun to read but we aren't all going to love the same place.  I used to have similar reactions when people posted negative opinions of my beloved Palena.  With one exception, see below, I'm not going to go tit for tat with you.  The beauty of America is that we can have opposing opinions, state them, and move on.

You're right, we don't talk about carbon footprints of restaurants on this website and I think that is something that should change.   After living abroad and seeing what the rest of the restaurant world is doing it is something that I am more aware of now.  I'm sorry I picked a restaurant you like to use as my first example but it is what it is.  We create a lot of unnecessary waste in this country, and DC itself is covered with litter from the Lincoln Memorial up the Hill to RFK and over to Nats Stadium.  It's time we started talking about ways to change that.

• Like 3

I see you are doubling down.  You are a cornerstone member of this DonRockwell community, and I don't take that lightly.

I'm not going to defend my review: negative opinions of beloved restaurants are never fun to read but we aren't all going to love the same place.  I used to have similar reactions when people posted negative opinions of my beloved Palena.  With one exception, see below, I'm not going to go tit for tat with you.  The beauty of America is that we can have opposing opinions, state them, and move on.

You're right, we don't talk about carbon footprints of restaurants on this website and I think that is something that should change.   After living abroad and seeing what the rest of the restaurant world is doing it is something that I am more aware of now.  I'm sorry I picked a restaurant you like to use as my first example but it is what it is.  We create a lot of unnecessary waste in this country, and DC itself is covered with litter from the Lincoln Memorial up the Hill to RFK and over to Nats Stadium.  It's time we started talking about ways to change that.

[i think you're both awesome, and in just about every way, you're both correct. Both pieces of writing stand very nicely on their own merits, so I don't feel any need to defend them, but I will state that I, too, would love to see a more vocal presence regarding "carbon footprint" (which is what I call, "selfishly throwing your trash on your neighbor's lawn." Don't forget, I was a consultant for nearly 25 years with the EPA, designing and implementing their primary enforcement system, basically with one other person, and our environment is something that's near and dear to my heart. However, as much as I silently cheer for Greenpeace, in their little rowboats, getting in the way of whaling ships, I prefer to think of myself as more of a "Teddy Roosevelt" outdoorsman, using common sense and basic human decency as my guidebook. That is the picture I want you to have in your mind). :) Thank you to both DaRiv18 and hillvalley for their consistently thoughtful insights here. Note also that me leaving these posts in this thread (which I will), unfairly makes Maketto the involuntary poster child for an industry-wide problem - I think we can all agree on that (it's important not to do, because if we did, Maketto addressing all issues would, in the public's subconsciousness, solve the problem (*) - and it wouldn't even scrape the surface of it). (*) Never, ever, underestimate the stupidity and selfishness of the masses, looking for the tiniest of sub-atomic fissures in order to justify their egocentric lifestyles.]

• Like 1

Finally, I don't recall any individual restaurant being criticized for their carbon footprint or whatever on this website.  I agree that this is an important issue, but I would take on the entire industry instead of criticizing Maketto on their opening week.

I took issue with all of the disposable packaging material for eat-in food at Good Stuff Eatery when I went there a number of years ago.  I've only been there the one time, so I don't know if they've changed that.  The thing that particularly galled me was that every receipt also bore an "enviro" charge to go with your eat-in meal wrapped in packaging materials that will land in the trash within minutes without even leaving the store.

And, until these recent comments I did not realize Maketto was using bathroom towels for napkins.  I got a couple with my order and even wrapped one of them around a container of something I brought home in the event the lid popped off, as I had other things in my backpack.  I guess I'm not all that perceptive but If they're bathroom towels, they're a pretty good fake for a napkin (and unlike paper towels out at a BBQ joint).

I, like hillvalley, came away a little underwhelmed.  I thought the food was pretty good. I liked the Bao quite a bit -- and was pleasantly surprised by the spice -- and my accomplice's Cambodian Sandwich was large and tasty, kind of an overstuffed bahn mi.  The soup was OK, but in these days of fine noodle soups, unexceptional.  The price was right.

I, too was unimpressed by the paper and plastic.  It just feels low rent.

The design was clean to the point of boring, and the merch predictable to the point of ennui.  I am not against paying way too much money for clothing, but I don't feel that a place offering Vans and cute socks is particularly interesting.

The indoor and outdoor seating options are nice, the coffee was pretty OK and it will be a fine place to grab lunch on days that I bring my car.  But, as a groundbreaking mixed-use destination, it doesn't seem destined to break much ground.

• Like 1

Oh DC...

A lot of criticism for a young chef trying something new for the area, most of it not centered on the food/drinks his team is putting out.

Oh, please.  When he puts his lunch counter in the middle of a boutique, it's arguable that the proprietor is not even centered on his food and drink.

Oh DC...

A lot of criticism for a young chef trying something new for the area, most of it not centered on the food/drinks his team is putting out.

Oh, please.  When he puts his lunch counter in the middle of a boutique, it's arguable that the proprietor is not even centered on his food and drink.

Erik has maintained throughout that Maketto is a team project - a mixed-use space that isn't strictly a "restaurant", per se, but more along the lines of a marketplace. The proprietor *is* centered on his food and drink. But Erik's not the only proprietor. The other proprietors, Will Sharp and Chris Vigilante, are centered on their fashion lines and coffee, respectively.

I also don't think that "a place offering Vans and cute socks" is that cool; but, when combined with food I really like, an innovative and in-depth coffee program, and (you have to admit) a *bit* more in terms of retail than just "Vans and cute socks", it's a really great concept.

It's a new idea; if the kitchen is still working out a few kinks, fine - the place hasn't even been open a month. I get it if you don't like the aesthetic or layout or appeal of the combination of retail and food service, but some people (like me) dig it. It's a beautiful, open, clean space with some dope clothing and good (soon, hopefully, to be great) street food. There are a lot of places that offer tablecloths and linen napkins - this isn't one of them, nor was that ever the plan for Erik and his partners.

• Like 5

Erik has maintained throughout that Maketto is a team project - a mixed-use space that isn't strictly a "restaurant", per se, but more along the lines of a marketplace. The proprietor *is* centered on his food and drink. But Erik's not the only proprietor. The other proprietors, Will Sharp and Chris Vigilante, are centered on their fashion lines and coffee, respectively.

I also don't think that "a place offering Vans and cute socks" is that cool; but, when combined with food I really like, an innovative and in-depth coffee program, and (you have to admit) a *bit* more in terms of retail than just "Vans and cute socks", it's a really great concept.

It's a new idea; if the kitchen is still working out a few kinks, fine - the place hasn't even been open a month. I get it if you don't like the aesthetic or layout or appeal of the combination of retail and food service, but some people (like me) dig it. It's a beautiful, open, clean space with some dope clothing and good (soon, hopefully, to be great) street food. There are a lot of places that offer tablecloths and linen napkins - this isn't one of them, nor was that ever the plan for Erik and his partners.

I'm pleased that you like the place. Perhaps you should think in terms of writing a detailed, positive review instead a response to my candid (and often positive) observations, which I stand by.

If they were only using disposable for everything, I would feel differently about the bowls.

You're right, we don't talk about carbon footprints of restaurants on this website . . . After living abroad and seeing what the rest of the restaurant world is doing it is something that I am more aware of now.  I'm sorry I picked a restaurant you like to use as my first example but it is what it is.  We create a lot of unnecessary waste in this country, and DC itself is covered with litter from the Lincoln Memorial up the Hill to RFK and over to Nats Stadium.  It's time we started talking about ways to change that.

You are right, it is what it is. Before we move on, please clarify this point for me. In your original post, you would actually prefer Maketto to use disposable for everything? That would minimize unnecessary waste? I don't have the international living abroad experience that you do, so it doesn't quite register with me how this leads to a less littered DC. If we are going to make Maketto the poster child for the wrongs of restaurant waste, we should at least clarify whether they are using too much disposable products, or not enough.

Pork noodle soup was outstanding. We were impressed when we had the soup at Union Market, but this was clearly better. More layers of flavor, spicy but not overpowering. A meal all by itself. We also ordered the Cambodian Sandwich. Quite good, but the touch of sweetness was a bit much. When nothing on the drink menu jumped out, the bartender offered to create a cocktail based on flavors we liked. The result was a fantastic bourbon-based drink. Great food and solid service. We'll be back.

Pork noodle soup was outstanding. We were impressed when we had the soup at Union Market, but this was clearly better. More layers of flavor, spicy but not overpowering. A meal all by itself. We also ordered the Cambodian Sandwich. Quite good, but the touch of sweetness was a bit much. When nothing on the drink menu jumped out, the bartender offered to create a cocktail based on flavors we liked. The result was a fantastic bourbon-based drink. Great food and solid service. We'll be back.

I loved the pork noodle soup we had today, possibly the best version of the three times I've ordered it. It had bone-on meat (chicken drumstick) in it, which I don't recall before.  The last time I had it at Maketto, I liked it but didn't think it was as spicy as the UM version. It had heat but not as much as I could stand; I like heat right up to the breaking point.  At the time, I was grateful, as I hadn't figured out how to get water, and real spicy would have been a problem.  This time I downed plenty of water and loved the soup with all its heat.  I couldn't finish, so my husband ate the rest.  He also had the Cambodian pork sandwich, which he ate before and has liked both times.

Our friend from Baltimore also had the soup and thought it was good.  We all agreed that it is a $10 bowl of soup.

(And the napkins were regular paper napkins.)

(And, despite myself, while awaiting our friend's arrival, I found a pair of shoes I really wanted to buy, but I'm sure I can find them cheaper elsewhere.  Thanks to the curator for alerting me to their existence.)

(And, I still find the layout of the place a little confusing but I love the design of the space.)

• Like 4

The indoor and outdoor seating options are nice, the coffee was pretty OK and it will be a fine place to grab lunch on days that I bring my car.  But, as a groundbreaking mixed-use destination, it doesn't seem destined to break much ground.

I don't think of it as groundbreaking, just cool.  Certainly there are plenty of restaurants that already sell limited retail, mostly their own branded gear like baseball caps and t-shirts.  We ate dinner at Busboys and Poets the other day, they have retail up front in a form of a bookstore.  And basically every major big retail spot already does this model on the inverse scale, offering a cafe/diner/cafeteria in a small footprint of their giant retail space (think Target, Walmart, Ikea, Nordstrom's, etc.).  Did B. Smith ever hawk her own line of goods at her restaurant, I certainly saw it all the time at Bed Bath and Beyond.  And which cafe restaurant hasn't also doubled as an art gallery, with prices and artist contact info below each wall-mounted piece.

Maketto is doing more of the Urban Outfitter's type of thing, but the vending machine also offers some ironic/industry items like Sharpies, condoms, and Japanese toy stuff.  It's like a hipster's Cracker Barrel, without the folksy knick-knacks.

Also, instead of bringing your car, have you considered walking, or hailing a bicycle taxi?

I don't think of it as groundbreaking, just cool.  Certainly there are plenty of restaurants that already sell limited retail, mostly their own branded gear like baseball caps and t-shirts.  We ate dinner at Busboys and Poets the other day, they have retail up front in a form of a bookstore.  And basically every major big retail spot already does this model on the inverse scale, offering a cafe/diner/cafeteria in a small footprint of their giant retail space (think Target, Walmart, Ikea, Nordstrom's, etc.).  Did B. Smith ever hawk her own line of goods at her restaurant, I certainly saw it all the time at Bed Bath and Beyond.  And which cafe restaurant hasn't also doubled as an art gallery, with prices and artist contact info below each wall-mounted piece.

Maketto is doing more of the Urban Outfitter's type of thing, but the vending machine also offers some ironic/industry items like Sharpies, condoms, and Japanese toy stuff.  It's like a hipster's Cracker Barrel, without the folksy knick-knacks.

Also, instead of bringing your car, have you considered walking, or hailing a bicycle taxi?

To my mind, Maketto might be the victim of its own hype -- it wasn't the mind-blowing mixed-use experience I have been led to believe.  (For what it's worth, I checked with my son, who lives in the neighborhood, to see if I was just too old, and he more or less agreed with me.)  As for the car, it's a 25-block round-trip from my office -- a little far for a lunchtime stroll but a quick dash given easy parking and light traffic in that neck of the woods.  I promise to bring colleagues so that our carbon footprint is, on average, lower.

HEADLINE

I like it! But, not everyone will, as this is DC, different strokes and all that.

BACKGROUND

In full disclosure, I have biases like anyone that might predispose me to not like this place. I'm not a fan of cute or trendy for the sake of cuteness or trendiness. I tend to prefer focus in food-service businesses, smaller menus, those kinds of things. And, I'm much more interested in food quality and flavors that I am in any "artistry" or other adornments and experiments.

So, I half expected to really not like Maketto before going this week for the first time. I was wrong. In two words, the reason why: it works. More detail below.

THE CONCEPT

The idea that this is a coffee shop, a bar, a restaurant and a fashion and accessory purveyor, along with opening delays very long even for DC, raised many eyebrows over the winter, including mine. But, entering Maketto, especially on a nice day, one is just flooded with light, calm and friendly people (yes, I was surprised too) that made it all very easy to like.

The fashion and accessories part of the business, occupying part of both floors, probably isn't something I'll be a big customer of. But, I do appreciate that there are products on these shelves which are unique and stylish, as one sees more regularly in NYC or Portland (OR) or San Francisco and not so much here. Clearly targeting 20 (maybe 30) somethings but, by the looks of it, doing that rather well. I think it really understating this part of Maketto to characterize the retail mix as "Vans" and whatever else. It is fashionable. It is cool. And, if it was in SoHo, noone would have blinked.

Finally, the buildout really suits what I think Erik Bruner-Yang was trying to do. It's modern, hip, light, airy, fashionable, comfortable and quite welcoming, all at once. One can recognize the design as cool and modern without sacrificing comfort and easy traffic flow and navigation once inside.

MAIN, STREET-LEVEL, FLOOR

The retail store occupies space at the front (H St NE) of the main and second floors. On the main floor, behind and south of the retail shelves, is the bar, which serves a very nice selection of quality pastries and croissants by day. You can buy a pastry here and then pay for it upstairs if you're here for coffee. There is also plenty of seating and, toward the back, a really lovely outdoor area fronting the glassed-in kitchen. I was told 15 or so seats can be had in that kitchen for dinner, which is only by walk-in.

SECOND FLOOR

More retail goods here along with the Vigilante Coffee bar. I'll post more about the coffee shop in the still-kinda-new Coffee Forum but, suffice to say, these guys are doing much right. For whatever reason, the baked goods are more limited upstairs though, so be sure to check the wider downstairs assortment before climbing the cool steps. At the back of this floor, more great outdoor space with more seating.

SERVICE

This strikes me as rather important here given most will need some assistance in navigating the space depending if they're there for dinner, coffee and a pastry, cocktails, to buy some cool magazines or a combination of aims. I've only been once so far so this perception will evolve but I sensed the same kind of casual yet professional and hospitable service on both floors"¦in all areas"¦here as we have at Rose's Luxury, Red Hen and other newer spots in town. As I browsed shelves, I was approached just once in a friendly way with an offer to help. As I asked downstairs how it worked in terms of coupling one of the pastries with coffee upstairs, the answer was swift and just sensible. I could choose a pastry, take it upstairs and pay there with the coffee. When I began asking questions about the coffee program with the barista upstairs, he was happy to engage and I learned a lot about what they're doing. LIkewise the server who brought me food (you order at either bar down or upstairs and they give you a number and find you wherever you decide to sit).

While not super intuitive, the genuine friendliness of the staff made it easy and relaxing to enjoy.

COFFEE

Again here, I'll write more in the coffee forum about this but will say here this is a serious coffee shop with committed coffee people behind it. They're (one of?) the only shops in town to really use siphons and you can choose that or a pourer with typically two bean choices. I had an interesting Hawaian brew, just 4 days from when roasted.

FOOD

Can't say much here yet since haven't yet been for dinner, which is, by far, the most extensive food menu. But, can say the morning bun is very nice. And, enjoyed both the steamed pork boa and cambodian pork soup with just minor nits. On the former. maybe a bit bigger with more dough that I'd prefer but had plenty of pork filling. And, really enjoyed the soup with it's complex broth, bone-in chicken leg, gentle heat and noodle though maybe a little noodle overkill.

BOTTOM LINE

Maketto is an exciting new concept for the District. In my humblest of opinions, there can be something for everyone and anyone here if they're open to it. Prices are quite reasonable on food and market standard on coffee.

• Like 4

I stopped by today for lunch and a coffee.  Before tackling the food, as a neighbor, let me say that I love how "lived-in" this place already feels.  On a warm, Spring day (before the deluge this afternoon), the space was open and airy, sprinkled with a nice variety of people: moms with strollers getting coffee and snacks, friendly neighborhood hipsters, business-y folks having meetings over coffee, and a few folks who just wandered off the street to see what the big open space was.  All of the various seating spaces were pleasantly buzzy, but not filled.  I really think Maketto will prove to be a beloved neighborhood hangout, regardless of how groundbreaking of a concept it is or is not perceived to be.

I ordered the leek buns and noodle soup.  I have been a big booster of James' work during his tenure at Union Market, and agree with those above who feel that the move to a legitimate kitchen has upped his game that much more.  The leek buns are steamed (I guess the "pan fried" description is for how the leeks are cooked before going into the bun), and filled with a leek, mushroom, and noodle (bean thread?) mixture.  The filling itself is fairly mild, but made for a great snack with the pillowy bao and hoisin sauce.  The soup was fantastic -- a great value at $10.  The broth seemed just that much silkier and more complex than its previous form at Union Market.  The grilled pork was tender and added a welcome smoky grilled flavor that was lacking in the old form.  I had a chicken wing hidden in the depths that definitely added to the heft of the soup, which I sadly couldn't finish.

I enjoyed a nicely made flat white on the upstairs deck, and look forward to spending many days in the courtyard this Spring/Summer.

Despite being a fierce neighborhood booster, I do have a couple of criticisms.  With regards to the discussion on disposable bowls, spoons, etc. I would have to agree that it would make my experience that much better if they used real bowls/spoons as opposed to the once and done versions they are using now.  Secondly, and totally selfishly, I would love to see just one more vegetarian (or even pescetarian) menu option on the lunch/cafe menu.  I remember James serving a delicious grilled eggplant thing alongside the Num Pang at one point over at Union Market.  Something like that would be amazing.

• Like 4

Despite being a fierce neighborhood booster, I do have a couple of criticisms.  With regards to the discussion on disposable bowls, spoons, etc. I would have to agree that it would make my experience that much better if they used real bowls/spoons as opposed to the once and done versions they are using now.  Secondly, and totally selfishly, I would love to see just one more vegetarian (or even pescetarian) menu option on the lunch/cafe menu.  I remember James serving a delicious grilled eggplant thing alongside the Num Pang at one point over at Union Market.  Something like that would be amazing.

I think some of this will work out with time.  The first time I ate there, I encountered a friend who came in with someone else for lunch.  Since there weren't significant vegetarian options on the menu (I think the leek buns were it), they headed a block down to go to Toki instead.   Once they settle in, it would be good to have something for vegetarians.

Also, on the gossip front  :ph34r:, when I was first having coffee there (within the first week), I heard Erik Bruner-Yang tell someone that he had tried to persuade them not to have lunch right away.  He apparently was overruled on this, so I'm giving them extra leeway on lunch.

I went two weeks ago and enjoyed everything. They were quite busy and it's a bit awkward of a layout. The line starts at the end of the retail space, but you can surpass the line and get drinks at the bar, but if you want to eat you need to get back in line! We had the pork buns, pickled vegetables, and tawainese fried chicken. The chicken was great but it's served on bread. I like how the bread gets soggy and sops up the sauce, but some people don't like soggy things texture-wise (ahem, my husband), so it's off-putting for some. I also had a mala colada which was a frozen coconut drink made with sichuan peppercorn -- perfect balance of sweet and savory and very refreshing.

The deep, minimalist, mix-use space reminds me of a lot of places in LA that I visited recently on Abbot Kinney blvd. It's refreshing and I haven't seen a location quite like it in DC.

I absolutely love this space, though I found it a little confusing to navigate.  When I first saw the stories about the conception of the business however many years ago that was, it didn't sound appealing to me.  I doubt I'm remotely near their target demographic.  But the execution of the idea has been fantastic.  

I stopped by today for lunch and a coffee.  Before tackling the food, as a neighbor, let me say that I love how "lived-in" this place already feels.  On a warm, Spring day (before the deluge this afternoon), the space was open and airy, sprinkled with a nice variety of people: moms with strollers getting coffee and snacks, friendly neighborhood hipsters, business-y folks having meetings over coffee, and a few folks who just wandered off the street to see what the big open space was.  All of the various seating spaces were pleasantly buzzy, but not filled.  I really think Maketto will prove to be a beloved neighborhood hangout, regardless of how groundbreaking of a concept it is or is not perceived to be.

I, like hillvalley, came away a little underwhelmed.  I thought the food was pretty good. I liked the Bao quite a bit -- and was pleasantly surprised by the spice -- and my accomplice's Cambodian Sandwich was large and tasty, kind of an overstuffed bahn mi.  The soup was OK, but in these days of fine noodle soups, unexceptional.  The price was right.

I, too was unimpressed by the paper and plastic.  It just feels low rent.

I wasn't impressed with the space or the food. Admittedly they are going for a look and feel that I don't enjoy: urban, hipster, sparse, uncomfortable chairs, loud music. I ordered the soy milk and Chinese donuts and the pork buns.  The donuts were greasy, heavy, and bland.  The milk was served in a big, plastic soup bowl which was awkward to drink from.  As mentioned above the pork buns were fine.  I found them on the spicier side, which annoyed me as there was no warning about the spice.

My biggest pet peeve about the place was the use of plastic bowls, disposable plates, and bathroom paper towels.  How hard is it to buy real napkins?  Why serve the soy milk in a soup bowl that is going to be thrown away and take up space in a landfill when you have mugs for coffee?  The less than polite reply from the manager type person when I inquired if the disposable bowls were temporary or permanent will keep me from returning any time soon.

Nice work Pat, Josh, Waitman, and hillvalley getting shout-outs on Eater! http://dc.eater.com/2015/5/7/8565425/the-early-word-on-h-street-hot-spot-maketto

Had dinner here again last night. Absolutely no wait at 7:30, were able to be seated immediately. Things seemed to get a bit busier after that, but so far I have not had much trouble at all getting in on weekdays or nights.

And I continue to love the place. Our favorite thing last night was the American Wagyu Tartare, which was wonderfully spicy and flavorful. Big fan as well of the Khmer Tamarind Salad, which brought a lot of freshness to our meal as a whole. The fried chicken is also fantastic, and is quite a bit of food, as it should be at $25. Service was wonderful and attentive throughout, and we thoroughly enjoyed our entire experience. Really happy this place is so near my home, and that they do so many things (coffee, lunch, dinner) well.

• Like 2

Finally managed to make it there for lunch yesterday. I will agree the place is a bit challenging to sort out, but in the end, the food was delicious, and if I lived closer, I would be a frequent customer.

As I may have mentioned in another thread, I'm a "customer friend" of James, and he always impressed me with his Union Market offerings. He was working when we visited, so I was able to talk a bit about the concept, ordering, etc. When we visited, the cooking/prep area was in full swing, but it was apparent customers were not seated in the area. I learned the area is used for seating only in the evening, as is the bar, and that the open areas, while used for lunch, are for socializing, etc. (I didn't ask him, but it certainly seemed the "controversial" plastic ware is for lunch only.)

The soup was delicious, as was the num pang. The pork buns were great, as were the leek buns. The portions are quite large, and although we should have known better, we over ordered.

Bonus points for the choice of still or sparkling bottled water that is free of charge (the name escapes me). The retail goods were interesting, and although I'm older than their target demographic, that part of Maketto did not dominate the space.

Overall, I agree that this is a cool concept. While it is new, Maketto is unique in the area, and deserves some slack as it gains its footing.

• Like 1

Didn't feel like wasting a day under fluorescent office lights, so opted for a very nice couple hours at Maketto yesterday. Started with a late morning Cappuccino and croissant.  I enjoy Vigilante coffee wherever I get it and this was no different. Croissant was nice too.

After pretending to do some work in the upstairs cafe for a bit, I was ready for lunch. Cambodian Noodle Soup and it was superb. Loved how the broth was light and spicy but still robust. I'm glad that the more viscous, porky Tonkatsu broths haven't spoiled me for the lighter SE Asian stocks. Heat (spice) level was perfect for me. Tons of peppers, chiles, cilantro and other toppings in the bowl with a healthy portion of noodles -- and a whole chicken wing that I picked and added on top once it cooled. So fantastic, I'll be back soon when I can arrange another "work from home" day. My total for coffee/pastry/soup/tip was just over $20.

The space is terrific, I'm not sure what there is to be confused or off-put about. What interested me was the many outdoor seating options in the two level courtyard - hadn't seen all of them in pictures. Chef Bruner-Yang and partner were in the house. Already seems to be a popular local hub for other H St/Hill business owners from conversations overheard in the cafe. Excellent addition to that neighborhood and the city as a whole. I'll echo comments above that perhaps it only seems an odd place to starched shirt Washingtonians, but no one would bat an eyelash seeing it in Brooklyn, LA or Portland.

• Like 2

Maketto had been on my list for the past few months, and we finally made it (somewhat unintentionally) on Friday about two weeks ago.  When we were quoted a 45-minute wait at Ocopa (for a 4-top), we left a name and headed across the street for a drink.  Maketto had a table available immediately if we wanted food, so we figured that we'd do a round of drinks and snacks and decide at that point whether to abandon the Ocopa plan.  (Spoiler: we didn't.)

We only ordered from the small plates section, mostly because there were more pesca-friendly dishes that appealed there, but also to avoid committing ourselves to a full meal from the get-go.  Fermented vegetables were unmemorable, some sort of thinly sliced white root vegetable (I don't think we were ever told what exactly, and I didn't care enough to ask).  I'd hoped for an interesting assortment of pickled vegetables, but no such luck.  The red snapper crudo was in a tasty sauce -- sort of like a very light Thai curry -- but the fish itself was a bit too fishy for my taste.  We were fans of the leek steam buns except the bf (who thought they were just okay).  Basically what you'd expect if you're familiar with the pillowy carb delivery vehicle, but I enjoyed the vegi-friendly take on what's usually only a carnivore's option.  The bf and I loved the generously portioned scallion pancake -- more bready and less greasy than you'd find from a mine-run Chinese restaurant, veering less Asian with the addition of fantastic scallion compound butter. The oysters on egg omelette was the other table highlight -- thin and slightly stretchy (from the addition of some sort of flour? an effect about which we were warned), the oysters' creating almost-creamy pockets in the egg.  Nostalgically reminded me of a late-night hawker stall meal in Singapore back in college.

By far my favorite drink was our pregnant friend's turmeric "drinking vinegar" (so hot right now) with palm sugar and soda water -- like an exotic Italian soda.  (They'll also mix the vinegars with booze, and I bet it would be great with the suggested bourbon pairing.)  The bf's Mala Colada -- basically a spiced pina colada -- was delicious (he loved it), but a bit heavy for my non-on-a-beach taste.  Prego's husband's Pink Kao (an intriguing-sounding combination of Kaoling, ginger, Aperol, honey, lemon, and Angostura bitters) just tasted disappointingly flat -- everyone's least favorite.  I can't recall the name of my brown-liquor cocktail, but it tasted like a twist on an old fashioned that was good but read too wintery for the weather.

I enjoyed our experience, but it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped/expected from the hype.  After the one round, the vastly superior cocktails and more interesting (in my opinion), consistent food at Ocopa beckoned us back across the street.  For now, Maketto is a better-than-H-Street-average addition to the neighborhood -- I'll definitely happily return -- but Ocopa is the better restaurant.  (I'm still confused by Maketto's concept, despite the discussion on this board and actually having eaten there, walked through the space, and even purchased some ridiculous socks (as an joke gift) from the front store.  Do they actually expect people to be buying $80 shoelaces, or is it just an occasionally self-subsidizing decorative scheme?)

• Like 1

I would like to thank the Pope.  Not for his humanitarian efforts or his 'servant leadership' qualities.  No, I would like to thank him for a much more selfish reason.  I want to thank him because he was able to make DC a ghost town last night allowing EatRunEat and I to enjoy a gorgeous first fall evening while enjoying some incredible food at Maketto.  EatRunEat and I arrived around 8 to find more employees than customers and we sat at the table of our choice.  Our server, Adam, came over promptly and introduced us to the menu.  He stated that the best thing to do would be to order everything at once so the kitchen could 'fire' the dishes at the appropriate times.  This would ensure that the dishes arrived hot and we would not be drowning in a sea of plates.

EatRunEat and I decided to go with the pork bao, fried chicken, Cambodian sausage and fish with curry.  The bao was light and the flavor of pork was such that it didn't need the hoison sauce that it came with.  Everyone gushes about the fried chicken and it's well deserved.  It's fried to perfection and it's spicy enough to notice but not be overwhelming.  I don't know where to being with the Cambodian sausage.  Neither EatRunEat or I could put our finger on what the taste of it was but we enjoyed it.  The sausage was tangy, somewhat sweet and savory with a little spice.  We're going to get it again to see if we can pin down exactly what the flavors are.  We finished up with the fish and it was quite nice.  It was flaky and paired really well the the curry sauce.  Lastly, I tried something that I'd never had before, sipping vinegar.  I got the ginger vinegar and sipped it in between courses.  If you haven't tried sipping vinegar before I really recommend it.  Even if you end up hating it, you're only going to be out two bucks so it's no big deal.

The food, weather and service combined to be one of the best dates I've ever had with EatRunEat.  Gracias Pope Francis, gracias!  

• Like 5

Anyone else been recently?  Most of the dishes in the post review are no longer on the menu, and the washingtonian doesn't cover much.

This wasn't quite true, although there are some differences at least on my visit.

I'm nowhere near cool enough to be in this building but they were nice to me anyway.  Dinner was great.  Not doing a course-by-course but we ordered about 1/3 of the menu and the table favorite was the whole fish curry.  Glad we asked our server for recommendations because it wasn't on our list originally.  I forget what we cut to make it happen.  Lots of spiciness and cool pickled things throughout the various courses.

The fried chicken has been covered.  It's ridiculous, don't skip that.

Spicy wagyu tartare was probably my second favorite thing after the curry, although I was prepared for more heat after warning from the server; don't be too scared to order it.

Seats by the kitchen enhanced the experience, although I regret not paying more attention to the work.  I wonder if the check average is higher in there; it smells so good so we were hyper-salivating by the time we got to order.

Everyone should order the onion cocktail and then tell me what you think it tastes like.

Go with people you already know and like and won't be embarrassed to be eating fish eyeballs and soaking up last drops of sauces with the last crumbs of bread or bao in front of.

• Like 4

I had a great family birthday dinner here tonight. We are so totally spoiled that this can be our wander in without reservations with a baby and a toddler neighborhood joint.

The menu is substantially different than on my prior visits.  We started with the tofu and 100 year egg and Taiwanese fried oyster.  The tofu was light, with chopped black egg on top along with a julienned cucumber and herb salad.  The sauce below had a recognizable fish sauce component, but was not terribly funky.  A nice bite but not overly spicy.  The egg looked aggressive, but really wasn't.  Overall a nicely balanced dish that even your reluctant non-food friends would probably enjoy.  The oyster dish was a take on the standard Chinese oyster omelette.  The fried oysters on top could have been more crunchy, though they weren't bad.  All the flavors were there from the standard version, but with a healthy kick of spice and acidity that I really enjoyed.

We shared the rib eye bao platter and the vegan wok fired noodles.  The bao platter sounds big, but can easily be taken down between 2 people (plus a toddler).  It comes with 5 bao (an odd number to choose for a dish meant to be shared), a generous serving of sliced, medium-rare steak, several types of pickled vegetables, herbs, a savory paste of some fermented thing, hoisin sauce, and ma-la chili oil.  Every component was excellent, and you couldn't go wrong building sandwiches to your own tastes.  I could go for hair on fire numbing spice, and my son was happy with his hoisin/pickle/beef bao.  The wok fired noodles are a giant portion of wide noodles with greens and mushrooms in an umami-bomb mushroom sauce.  So damn good.  Reminiscent of really good pad see ew, but definitely not the same thing.

Service was gracious (as always), from the first encounter at the front, to the moment we said goodbye.  I know some people are intimidated by the "cool factor" of the space, but the staff there has never been anything but kind and accommodating.  Go go go.

• Like 8

Service was gracious (as always), from the first encounter at the front, to the moment we said goodbye.  I know some people are intimidated by the "cool factor" of the space, but the staff there has never been anything but kind and accommodating.  Go go go.

Absolutely agree with this. In fact I think it's one of the warmest, most casual spaces to spend time in around town. Just wish I lived closer.

• Like 1

Maketto received quite a bit of love on year-end food round-ups- particularly for the fried chicken.  The fried chicken is absolutely delightful, but so is the scallion bread, crispy dumplings filled with gruyere cheese and braised beef, and wok fried noodles- to name just a few of the stand-outs.  More insights on my recent blog post:

12/28/15 - "Maketto: A Super Supper" by Lori Gardner on beenthereeatenthat.net

• Like 1

Maketto received quite a bit of love on year-end food round-ups- particularly for the fried chicken.  The fried chicken is absolutely delightful, but so is the scallion bread, crispy dumplings filled with gruyere cheese and braised beef, and wok fried noodles- to name just a few of the stand-outs.  More insights on my recent blog post:

12/28/15 - "Maketto: A Super Supper" by Lori Gardner on beenthereeatenthat.net

We had the gruyere dumplings the other day.  What an interesting dish.  It sounded odd to me, but the flavors all came together.

• Like 1

We finally tried the dim sum brunch yesterday. Fantastic. They have a few dishes from the regular menu (fried chicken, wok-fried noodles, crispy beef dumplings, bao), but we stuck to stuff not on the regular menu. The pork shumai and the crystal shrimp dumplings were probably our favorites, although we didn't have anything that wasn't good. I'm very happy I live around the corner from Maketto. 

• Like 4

Did you make a reservation or were you able to walk in?  I have been meaning to try, but also feel like I've enjoyed most of the menu at other times and don't want to battle a crowd on Sunday morning if I don't have to.  Your comments about the shumai and shrimp dumplings coupled with my recent realization that they also have don tot has me thinking I need to make a mid-Sunday morning visit happen soon. 

I was in the area yesterday around lunchtime so I popped in here for the first time.  The staff was mellow, nearly catatonic, but everyone was friendly and handled a newbie well.

I wanted to split a bun order (get one leek bun ($6 for two) and one pork bao bun ($6 for two)) but was told I couldn't because they "couldn't split the order on the machine".  And with the kitchen being in another building there was no way to convey the message when I placed the order.  Too bad.  This seems like a no brainer and I'm sure I'm not the first one who asked to try one of each.  Oh well, I just got the pork bao which I've been in love with since first trying it at the Union Market Popup.  Since winter has finally come and I was chilled, I ordered the Cambodian Pork Noodle Soup.

The soup was great.  Warm and filling and hit the spot.  The buns were a disappointment a couple of different ways.  First, the bottoms stuck to the paper/cardboard tray the were served in so they kind of ripped apart when I tried to pick them up.  Second, they were much more doughy and a lot less meaty than the Union Market version.  They were also drier in both the filling and the dough.  I've had these buns a few times before at dim sum places because they always looked so good, but I always ended up disappointed because the dough was so thick and so dry it created instant cottonmouth and there also seemed to be very little filling.  (No wonder with the thickness of the dough).  So when I first tired them at Union Market it was a revelation!  The dough was much thinner (approaching the thickness of thick potsticker wrapper), and wasn't dry at all, and the filling inside was abundant and moist.  It was almost as if they injected some sauce inside.  I loved those things and learned how to make them at home (with help from this site).

Mine were good, but not as good as the Union Market version.  Now, I'm sad to report that current buns bear little resemblance to the ones I fell in love with, and my crude home made buns are better than what they serving.  At least what they were serving yesterday.  They reminded me about everything I didn't like about all the buns I had prior to the Union Market Popup........very thick, very dry dough and not much filling.

• Like 2

Nice weather, a free Sunday, a love of dim sum, and some nice reviews above all came together and my wife and I took our two kids here for brunch yesterday. We got there at 11:45 and ended up having to wait a half hour to get seated. We could have eaten a little earlier, but we decided to wait for a table in the kitchen in back instead of up front.

The staff was mellow, nearly catatonic,

The place, and the staff were much more lively today! It was buzzing with energy.

We ordered a lot of the items mentioned previously and pretty much loved them all. We started with 4 pork buns because my kids were such fans of the Union Market version and I'm happy to report they bore no resemblance to what I had earlier in the week:

The buns were a disappointment a couple of different ways. First, the bottoms stuck to the paper/cardboard tray the were served in so they kind of ripped apart when I tried to pick them up. Second, they were much more doughy and a lot less meaty than the Union Market version. They were also drier in both the filling and the dough. I've had these buns a few times before at dim sum places because they always looked so good, but I always ended up disappointed because the dough was so thick and so dry it created instant cottonmouth and there also seemed to be very little filling. (No wonder with the thickness of the dough). So when I first tired them at Union Market it was a revelation! The dough was much thinner (approaching the thickness of thick potsticker wrapper), and wasn't dry at all, and the filling inside was abundant and moist. It was almost as if they injected some sauce inside. I loved those things and learned how to make them at home (with help from this site).

The bottoms didn't stick, the filling was moist and "liquidy" like I remembered from Union Market, and there seemed to be more filling and less dough per bun. Pretty much the opposite of my quote above.

Since there were four of us, we got to sample a wide swath of the menu, including the fried chicken, a few different kinds of dumplings and the wok fried noodle which was very good. It was wide flat noodle (think Drunken noodles) with some broccoli stems and hot peppers and some other stuff. It looked like soup and was served in a bowl but there wasn't any broth. It had a great smoky taste.

The only dish we didn't love was the scallion bread, but that had more to do with us being far too stuffed to enjoy it. It was our last dish and just too heavy for that late in the meal. Heroically, we pressed on and ordered the Chinese Doughnut with Soy Milk for dessert. It looked like two giant bread sticks made out of fried dough sitting across a large bowl of warm milk. You broke off a piece and dunked it in the milk and ate it. It was sweet without being overly sweet. Very nice.

We all enjoyed it more than a similar outing to The Source. Just wish it was closer!!

Here's a photo of yesterday's menu just to give you an idea of what they offer. I don't think they post it online and I believe it changes regularly, so it may be different next Sunday.

post-3390-0-93964700-1452546186_thumb.jp

• Like 5

If you're craving the fried chicken, but can't make it for dinner, I was happily surprised last week when I saw that the Num Pang (Cambodian sandwich) is now offered with your choice of pork, chicken, or vegetarian.  I opted for chicken, just for a change of pace, and bam.  Each half had a sliced fried breast with a drizzle of that delicious sweet, funky sauce.  Highly recommended.

The ginger kombucha was a perfect, bracing accompaniment.

• Like 4

As a rule, I never venture out for dinner on Valentine's Day. This year, however, my wife wanted to go Maketto for lunch, and the lure of a Sunday Dim Sum brunch made it a request I couldn't refuse.

Parking was an adventure as usual, so it was 1145 by the time we walked in the door. The frigid temperaturesdidn't deter many people, and we were greeted by a line of at least 30 people that snaked around clothing area. The wait was estimated to be 60-90 minutes, which turned out to be quite accurate. (They don't accept reservations for lunch/brunch, btw.)

I eventually wandered upstairs to get tea and coffee, and was very tempted to stay there after I noticed a kimchi and pork belly croissant in the display case. Instead, I resisted and ordered a flat white, which turned out to be one of the best I've had in memory, as well as some black tea for my wife. The upstairs area offered a couple of dishes other than pastries, by the way.

As we stood in line, I assumed we would be seated when we reached the host stand, but I learned that was required to simply get on the the list. It seems like a somewhat inefficient way to do things, but I'll know better next time.

By the time we were seated, we were both quite hungry. I really wanted to try the Taiwanese fried chicken, but my wife more interested in a number of other dishes.  In the end, we selected the Char Sui Bao, Salt and Pepper Oysters, Mala Cucumbers, Anchovy Brittle, Turnip Cake, Chicken Gyoza, and Braised Beef.

Like others here, I became a big fan of James Wozniuk during his pop-up days at Union Market. More often than not, I was drawn to his soups and sandwiches, since everything he produced was superb. I've also been to Toki a number of times, and I think Maketto is a welcome addition to the area. While my wife plays it a bit safe with gyoza, bao etc., I'm more likely to order dishes that are harder to find. (In this area, of course).

In any event, everything we ordered was delicious. My personal favorites included the fried oysters and the turnip cake. The oysters, which appeared to be breaded in a light panko crust, were perfectly cooked, with crispy and greaseless exteriors and creamy interiors. They were lightly drizzled with what appeared to be a bit of mayonnaise, and served on a shredded cabbage mixture, and accompanied by a smear of spicy sauce.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the turnip cake, a traditional dish I first tried while I was in Taiwan. Three generous slices of the cake, which had small slices of sour sausage throughout, were served in a soy based sauce, and were topped with XO crumbles. (Turnip cake is somewhat similar in texture to a fried potato cake, and it's a savory dish in no way resembling an American dessert cake.)

The peanut anchovy brittle was delicious as well, and the sweet/umami/salty combination was a nice treat.

Service was fast, efficient, and friendly once we were seated, and our server was quick to provide her own suggestions. Prices are very reasonable for this area, and the total for our 7 food items was $52 before tax and tip. (We didn't order any additional drinks).

Looking forward to a return trip so I can finally try the fried chicken!

• Like 5

Given the abundance of Asian restaurant options in California, specifically San Diego and the Bay Area, I was surprised my brother and my cousin wanted to go to Maketto during their short trip in DC from California. We ended up having a late dinner there Friday evening a few hours after their arrival.

Between MichaelBDC, my brother, my cousin, and myself we split the wok fried chinese broccoli, spicy laab over bone marrow, fried chicken, and New York strip bao platter. We enjoyed it all even though the laab ignited a fire in my mouth that was difficult to drown and the fried chicken itself was not as spicy as I remember it. We all thought it was great, especially the fried chicken.

MichaelBDC and I were also surprised to see Erik Bruner Yang clear our dishes from the table. We were both impressed that he would bus our table when he could have directed another member of the staff to do it.

DC may not have the sheer number of great Asian restaurants like other city but some of the ones we have, like Maketto, are really superb. This would be a great restaurant anywhere in the country and I think we are lucky that it is in DC.

• Like 4

I see Eric there and at Honerycomb in Union Market all the time. There is seemingly no ego there. Doing what needs doing. His attitude is a big part of why I love his joints so much.

I don't know if this is the place for a random Eric story, but I was at Honeycomb a few months ago looking lost and he asked if he could help.  I had just bought some short ribs at Harvey's and told him I had some vague notion of doing something East Asian with them.  He went into the back and made me a braising liquid from scratch (which turned out fantastic), and charged me peanuts for it.  I was really impressed. He didn't know me from Adam.

• Like 7

I don't know if this is the place for a random Eric story, but I was at Honeycomb a few months ago looking lost and he asked if he could help.  I had just bought some short ribs at Harvey's and told him I had some vague notion of doing something East Asian with them.  He went into the back and made me a braising liquid from scratch (which turned out fantastic), and charged me peanuts for it.  I was really impressed. He didn't know me from Adam.

This is amazing.

• Like 1