A&D Neighborhood Bar, Informal Cocktail Bar with Snacks at 9th and N Street in Shaw

Just want to put in a good word for this joint, brought to you by the same folks as SunDeVich and Seasonal Pantry. Cheap artisanal drinks and amazing (but very limited) food menu. The bar in front was packed on Saturday night, but the back room was quite empty. If you're in the neighborhood after 5 PM and looking for addictively tasty bar grub, you need to make your way to this place.

Cheap artisanal drinks and amazing (but very limited) food menu.

Cheap? Wait what? My visits there involved $12 cocktails and I saw PBR was $5. Unless they lowered their price points they are above average for the neighborhood.

The cocktail menu seems to mostly be in $8-10 range and were served in large-ish jam jars. That seem like a decent price, bordering on low end considering the ingredients. I didn't check the beer or wine prices. I probably also have a skewed sense of pricing in the neighborhood prices as my other neighborhood drinking experiences were at Corduroy and The Passenger.

Oh crud! That's what happens when I rely on Google to provide address. It doesn't look I can fix the title, so hopefully an admin will catch the mistake soon.

The cocktail menu seems to mostly be in $8-10 range and were served in large-ish jam jars. That seem like a decent price, bordering on low end considering the ingredients. I didn't check the beer or wine prices. I probably also have a skewed sense of pricing in the neighborhood prices as my other neighborhood drinking experiences were at Corduroy and The Passenger.

If they're in the 8-10 range they've lowered their prices and lowered them significantly. They were all $12 when they opened. Some were good, some were misguided. All of them made me wish I was having a $10 cocktail at the Passenger, Hogo, or Rogue 24 instead.

Have been to this place a few times since it opened, and the cocktail program seems to have changed substantially over the past few weeks -- they've begun making their own bitters, liqueurs and shrubs and making some interesting, delicious

Definitely worth a second trip.

Oh crud! That's what happens when I rely on Google to provide address. It doesn't look I can fix the title, so hopefully an admin will catch the mistake soon.

[Anytime a title needs fixing, just shoot me a PM!]

I assume A&D stands for Ali (Bagheri) and Daniel (O'Brien). :)

Cheap? Wait what? My visits there involved $12 cocktails and I saw PBR was $5. Unless they lowered their price points they are above average for the neighborhood.

Their website doesn't list drink prices, but this is what Fritz Hahn's January write up had to say:

Cocktails are $12, except for the eggnog, which is $5. Beers are predominantly $6 or $7.

Maybe they've had a markdown? It would certainly make the place more attractive for an after-work happy hour.

If they're in the 8-10 range they've lowered their prices and lowered them significantly. They were all $12 when they opened. Some were good, some were misguided. All of them made me wish I was having a $10 cocktail at the Passenger, Hogo, or Rogue 24 instead.

I was there Sat night. One cocktail was $8, one was $12, and the rest were $10. And upon receiving the bill, I noticed the cocktail prices actually included tax. Attached is a picture of the cocktail menu.

I had the Shaw Sling. It was fine (I liked it well enough but don't need to get it again).

post-889-0-25164800-1368448397_thumb.jpg

And upon receiving the bill, I noticed the cocktail prices actually included tax.

Man, this is halfway there.

The first restaurant in this town that includes final, tax + tip, all-inclusive prices on their menus is going to get raised to Large Font in the Dining Guide, and is going to get my business often, and I don't care if it's a Burger King.

I should add that The Swiss Bakery does not allow gratuity which is also halfway there. *Every single time* I walk out of there I say a little "thank you" prayer to them.

Tip Jars have become "Existence Jars." You're supposed to tip someone for selling you a candy bar, wiping your tires dry, or handing you a paper cup. I am so sick of companies not paying their employees well enough where they have to essentially beg for money.

Yes, of *course* I know that will cause things to be 20% more expensive. Make it so.

---

I just got alerted that Columbia Room includes tax and tip in their prices. Is this true?

Not all the menu items included tax. The price for the cocktails included tax but the price for the corn nuts did not. I don't know whether the beers or other menu items included tax.

The reason I noticed was that our check listed the $10 cocktail as $9.xx and the $8 cocktail as $7.xx (I don't remember the exact price though I could calculate it.) The corn nuts, however, were listed as $3.00 (menu price). So the total bill was $21.30.

(As an aside, I've found enough errors, both in my favor and not, that I always review the check before paying.)