Dinners near White House, Historic Locations Preferred

ScotteeM

My BIL and adult nieces are visiting from Denver next week (5/9-5/11) and they're staying at the Hay-Adams. They're looking for dinners nearby, preferably with a nice view of major landmarks and historical atmosphere. BIL said, "Something like Elway's" (in Denver). I checked the Elway's menu here: http://www.elways.com/Menu/Dinner

I think they tried and failed to get a reservation at Old Ebbitt Grill.

Anyone know how Lafayette--the restaurant in the Hay-Adams--is?

I'm thinking about Oval Room or Equinox as an option for one night.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

What about J & G Steakhouse, with drinks before or after on the rooftop terrace? I haven't been there since the W Hotel took over the space, but that view from the rooftop was always one of my favorites. I don't know what kind of reservations that requires, though.

• Like 1

The Oval Room also comes to mind (minus a view). Central is also close by.

I wouldn't normally recommend these places for eating but Elephant and Castle and Del Frisco's Grill have nice front patios for people watching along Penn Ave. and views of the Old Post Office...and of course they are close to all Mall activities. Might be a good spot for them to get afternoon drinks. Further along, Paul Bakery also has a nice patio area by the U.S. Navy Memorial.

And speaking of the Old Post Office, a tower tour is always a good bet for panoramic sight seeing.

• Like 1