Coppelia, Chef-Owner Julian Medina's All-Night Cuban and Pan-Latino Diner on W. 14th Street in Chelsea

I came across Coppelia because I was looking for a spot that's open for breakfast at 7am on a Sunday. Coppelia is open 24 hours. (I wasn't in the mood for a 24 hour Korean place.) It calls itself a "latin diner." I started out as the only customer, and the server was friendly. I had the huevos rancheros, a side of tostones, strawberry juice, and a cortaditos (espresso/foamed milk - came unsweetened). The huevos rancheros were 2 eggs (arrived with broken yolks), creme fraiche type cream, and tomatillo salsa on a crispy tortilla with beans and rice underneath. (Picture below.) I enjoyed the eggs, especially paired in a bite with the crispy tortilla. There was some salsa on the eggs, but more salsa would have been great. I enjoyed the beans and rice - good flavor, not salty. I also liked the tostones - crispy, hot, not too greasy. The strawberry juice was a bit too sweet and thick for me. I'm not sure if Coppelia will be on my regular NY rotation, but it's definitely someplace I'll go back to when I'm looking for an early morning breakfast. And it has wifi, no password needed.

post-889-0-94208900-1367278104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1