Best Places To Buy Cheese

Joe Riley

We've had luck there recently, Heather. What did you experience?
Ammoniated taleggio, and a crottin that resembled in flavor the piece of shit that it's named for. My fault for buying the taleggio wrapped instead of having them cut me a fresh chunk.

I was going to check the WF version.

If that's the whole ingredient list, I really don't see where the evil lies. :o Sure, grating it yourself is better, but it doesn't look like this is some egregious fake food product.

That's the whole list, and I don't think it's particularly evil. (Bland, yes. Evil? No more so than any other Kraft food item.) However, it may be that all its averments of purity and lack of fillers are meant to distinguish it from other green-canned competitors, which may be egregious fake food products. I don't know.

I'll save you the trouble by consulting ... the green can of Kraft parmesan cheese that is in my refrigerator. (A hush overtakes the crowd.)

There is a big to-do on the front of the container about it being "100% Real Grated Parmesan" with "No Fillers." Also, right below the ingredients -- presumably because so many people look there to see what is going on -- it says: "No fillers means we use only real parmesan cheese, not imitations or substitutes."

Real Parmesan from Wiscnnsin, aged 6 months. Yeal like Gallo Hearty Burgundy is real red burgundy ( you can't tell it apart from DRC Grand Escehezeaux) and like phne sex is like the real thing. American lable law is a list of what lies you can tell. Filler isn't filler unless is there to prevent caking. And that Potassium Sorbate, when will the poor misguided folk in Parma ever learn that the key to better life is the ingestion of unnecessary chemicals!) cannot be in there to protect what is not there in the first place- flavor!

What Kraft is is fake, abominable cheese that didn't mke the grade to be sold is some sembalance of real cheese form mixed with saw dust and added preservatives. Buy some real grated cheese and then freeze it if necessary but use real cheese. Real cheese doesn't come in a foiled cardboard tube!

i was looking for some info on this- search "kraft parmesan" on google and look at the title of the link that goes straight to the kraft page :P
I looked it up earlier this morning and saw the same thing :o:lol: .

What Kraft is is fake, abominable cheese that didn't mke the grade to be sold is some sembalance of real cheese form mixed with saw dust and added preservatives.

I won't say it was Kraft, because I don't know, and things might have changed since the mid-80s, and maybe my coworker was pulling my leg, but what she said is that they took off-spec cheeses ("cheddar", etc., that didn't pass quality control testing), bleached them, dried them, processed them in several other ways, and added flavorings.

OK, I have a question to you all (and on a serious note), lets assume I have a great hunk of grateable cheese from a reputable dealer. Once I get it home, what is the best way to store it in my refrigerator so that I extend the life and keep it's taste optimal? To I wrap it in paper, plastic, zip lock? How quick must I use it?

I finally made it over to "Cheesetique" in Del Ray. They seem to have a very nice selection. Italian, French, English, Spanish, Domestic. I sampled the "Stinking Bishop" from England. Wonderful cheese with a long finish. Not quite as "Stinky" as I would have liked but still good. I Also sampled a cheese from Wisconsin similar to Talleggio that was quite good (The name escapes me). They also have a 30 day Pecorino Toscano that is really nice. Very lactic. I tasted a very nice Colby too. The cheeses seem well cared for. They are not organized in any particular way which, makes for sort of willy nilly shopping. Plus, the cheese case is very low so that you spend most of the time bent over. The prices are about what you would expect for a speciality cheese shop. The cured meats are ok. Not a big selection and nothing you can't find elsewhere. Overall I'd say it's a nice little shop and I for one am glad to see another individually owned business around. I heard that a butcher will be opening on the same block soon! A good artisan bakery and that's all you need. :o

i was looking for some info on this- search "kraft parmesan" on google and look at the title of the link that goes straight to the kraft page :o

Or, you can click on the third link and purchase it through Amazon.com. Check out the reviews! 4.5 stars!!

i was looking for some info on this- search "kraft parmesan" on google and look at the title of the link that goes straight to the kraft page :o

Hilarious...and it's an official Kraft website, too. For those who missed it (Google updated today) you can still see it here for the moment.

For a classic example of "necessary but not sufficient", read the FDA standard of identity for "parmesan cheese" in section 133.165.

To draw an analogy, this is like defining "the road to New York City" as a contiguous paved surface no less than 40 feet wide, navigable by most four-wheeled vehicles. It is traversed by starting on the service road in front of Corduroy, turning right (north), and driving for no less than 120 miles. The feds permit the replacement of sections of pavement with bridges, toll plazas, ferries, gravel roads, farmers' fields, ponds, and Evel Knievel's jump and/or landing ramps. Following these directions, there are plenty of places you won't end up (truth in labeling), but you won't necessarily find New York either.

I heard that a butcher will be opening on the same block soon! A good artisan bakery and that's all you need. :o

While not a bakery per se, the coffee shop on the same strip (forget the name, dark red awning) had one of the best baguettes I've ever bought in a store, along with a good selection of other breads.

I needed two kinds of cheese today that I knew Whole Foods wouldn't have, and that even if they did I probably wouldn't want to buy it there anyway. I'm not a fan of their Silver Spring cheese staff who among many missteps pronounced "pecorino" "pammoreeno" the last time I was there. WTF.

I called Cheesetique to see if they had what I needed and they did not, so after confirming that Arrowine did, I traversed across state lines and have nothing but rave reviews for the shop. Fantastic staff, great selection, really just great all-around service.

Next field trip will be to Cheesetique, which I've also heard great things about.

Who wants to go in on opening a cheese shop up here in MD? Anyone? Anyone?