We've got reservations at Matyson and Marigold Thursday and Friday and was wondering if there were any must-haves or standby's that stay on the menu b/c of popularity. Matyson has a Passover tasting menu that I doubt we'll try so at least there we'll probably be ordering off the regular menu.

Pax,

Brian

Pathetically replying to my own post....but with a follow up question. Actually, Django and Matyson both had reservations tomorrow, so I scooped both and wanted opinions on which you'd recommend first.

Pax,

Brian

Pathetically replying to my own post....but with a follow up question. Actually, Django and Matyson both had reservations tomorrow, so I scooped both and wanted opinions on which you'd recommend first.

Pax,
Brian

Maybe one for lunch and one for dinner? Matyson's menu changes too frequently to speak in anything but generalities - I have had excellent fish, seafood and lamb, and all of Sonija's desserts are wonderful, especially her chocolate ones.

For anyone that cares: the husband and wife chef team at Matyson is moving to Napa to open a restaurant (name unknown yet). Matyson will be taken over by the longtime sous chef.

Speaking of moving chefs, anyone been to Talula's Table that was opened by the folks from Django?

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.

Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

Well, this thread helped more than pay for the subscription fee to this site b/c we batted 1.000 for our meals in Philly. Thursday evening we chose Matyson over Django and couldn't have been happier with our meals. We started with the highlight of the night (and maybe weekend), fried soft-shelled crab. Little did we know that they just came in season, but we got one of the last ones from the kitchen and it was perfect. The table seated after us had to settle for tempura shrimp, which seemed to use the same breading, but you can get that year-round. I also got a bowl of the matzoh bowl soup since it was a special from the tasting menu, but it's tough to measure up to Max's Kosher Cafe matzoh ball soup. Good but not "wow" (though I liked the dill added). Our entrees were seared scallops and a potato-crusted halibut, both of which were perfect. Scallops are potentially my wife's favorite food, and she thought they were the best scallops she's ever had. We ended with apple crepes and coconut cream pie, but the small amount of chocolate that we had in the pie showed me we made a mistake by not getting the chocolate creme brulee. Great start to the vacation.

Travel tip: Sorry to extend this post further, but thought folks might appreciate this insight. We got our hotel on Priceline.com the night before. I put in four stars, center-city Philly, two nights, and $100 and it was immediately accepted by Loews at 1200 Market Street, a block from City Hall. What a steal. This place was stylish (Art Decco restored), clean, friendly, and unpretentious. It's even pet friendly. When we got home this evening, I turned on MTV and saw the exact hotel on "Bam's Unholy Union"!!! He got married in the hotel and his wedding party stayed in the hotel. Most people probably wouldn't take the reference of one of the founders of Jackass, but if you see the episode you'll see this is actually a really nice place. The rooms for my wedding's hotels in Rockville were over $100 but not as nice as this place. Plus, you could walk 10 blocks in either direction to cover pretty much all the great food, history, and shopping that Philly offers. My advice is to start off with a price lower than my $100 though wink.gif