Chesapeake Bagel Bakery - Owned (Maybe) By The Largest Bagel Holding Company In The U.S.

I wouldn't bother writing this, but the Harrison Street (Arlington) Chesapeake Bagel Bakery has signs up saying that they're the "only deli in Arlington that roasts their own roast beef and turkey."

(Earl's, you might want to take note of this.)

I was going to order something very plain, but ended up dropping $7.80 on a roast beef and cheddar sandwich, on a plain bagel, with lettuce, tomato and light mayo.

Aside from the fact that they forgot the cheddar, if this roast beef was roasted in-house, I'm the King of Siam. It was *disgusting* - that same grayish-brown, fat-streaked, garbage that you get on any cheap party platter. I haven't had Subway's roast beef, but I suspect it's precisely at this level of quality. We've all seen it, and it's nothing like freshly roasted beef.

I'm not saying they *didn't* roast it because I can't prove it, but if they did ... why bother? Horrible. This is false advertising unless my palate has betrayed me ("Have you ever mistaken a Rhone for a Burgundy?" "Not since lunch.")

In case anyone didn't know, Chesapeake Bagel Bakery was purchased by the same company that owns Einstein Bagels and Manhattan Bagels in 1999. However, when you go to the Einstein Noah Restaurant Group website, and click on "Our Brands," there's no mention of them.

That either means they divested, or they're just too ashamed to admit they still own the brand. Either way, a smart move. There is no separate website for Chesapeake Bagel Bakery that I could find; only this.

In case anyone didn't know, Chesapeake Bagel Bakery was purchased by the same company that owns Einstein Bagels and Manhattan Bagels in 1999. However, when you go to the Einstein Noah Restaurant Group website, and click on "Our Brands," there's no mention of them.

That either means they divested, or they're just too ashamed to admit they still own the brand. Either way, a smart move. There is no separate website for Chesapeake Bagel Bakery that I could find; only this.

Chesapeake Bagel Franchise Corp. is still listed as a subsidiary of Einstein and Noah Restaurant Group, Inc. in the latter's most recent 10K filing with the SEC. Not that anyone really cares, or should.

Chesapeake Bagel was started as a local chain back in the 1980's. I recall the folks that started it. It was always a mediocre bagel at best.

I see it was sold into a mediocre chain and now they are making less than mediocre false claims about roasting roast beef and turkey. Sounds like they owe big apologies to Earls in Arlington. That description sounds like it desecrates the description of freshly roasted.

I see it was sold into a mediocre chain and now they are making less than mediocre false claims about roasting roast beef and turkey. Sounds like they owe big apologies to Earls in Arlington. That description sounds like it desecrates the description of freshly roasted.

Not that I go there often, but that sign about roasting their own roast beef and turkey seems to have been there as long as I can remember. It may even pre-date the advent of Earl's. It is not the kind of place were I suspect the management is checking up on the signage with any regularity. I do not know if it were ever true, but it never ocurred to me to take that sign seriously. FWIW, I have seen the turkey and it is definitely not freshly roasted; it appears to be standard deli turkey.