Boulevard Brewing Single-Wide I.P.A - Kansas City, MO

PappyVanWise

I've enjoyed the past few beers under 6% ABV, so I thought I'd find another to throw out there, and Single-Wide I.P.A. it is.  Boulevard was founded in 1988 as a local brewery for Kansas City but has grown to be the 10th largest craft brewer in the country (and yes, we can argue about the definition of a craft brewery, 160,000 barrels sounds like a lot to me).

Boulevard Brewing is new to the Richmond area, and perhaps to Virginia altogether.  The local Whole Foods had a roll out similar to the one New Belgium had in Arlington when it became available.

From the website:

"Boulevard Single-Wide I.P.A. is our take on a style that originated in 18th century Great Britain. This American version"”inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A."”boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping."  It's at 5.7% ABV and claims to have a mix of six different hops listed on the website.

It comes in 6 packs of bottles for about $9, and both the VA and MD Total Wines show it as in stock.  Boulevard recommends to pair it with spicy or cajun foods.  

Happy Drinking,

Eric

This was a really nice brew. I did not read VikingJew's description in detail before I drank.....its sharp bite and classic fruity profile seemed like a 7-8% ABV. Congrats to Boulevard for creating this snappy a brew at 5.7%. There was something that smoothed out the sharpness just enough to make it very drinkable. Maybe it's the combination of the six hops?! Bravo!

I was hoping I'd like this a little more, with the big splash Boulevard made in Richmond, also for purely selfish reasons. This is a beer from Kansas City, and I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan, so I was hoping I could find a beer to drink through football season, while watching the boys improve on last year's 2-14. Having it between the two other IPAs, it just wasn't a stand out. Back in Black is a much smoother version while All Day has the bite with less alcohol, making it a better choice for a session beer. Luckily Boulevard has a big portfolio available in this market, so I'll drink on and find something that could work.