"Why Does Anyone Drink Wine?" by Rory Sutherland in The Spectator

John William G

One of my neighbors was getting rid of his late partner's stuff at a yardsale and asked my advice about what to serve to the people who had helped him. Specifically, he asked for a not-too-expensive Champagne. I told him to forget it. Everybody liked drinking Prosecco and a very drinkable one could be had for about $10 a bottle. Outdoors on a late summer afternoon? What else do you need? Much better than beer, IMHO. Who cares about the wine snobs? They aren't picking up the tab.

On 6/7/2013 at 11:56 PM, Barbara said:

Who cares about the wine snobs?

A whole lot of people - many of them wine writers - love using this term.

I've never seriously used the term "wine snob" in my life - people are either pompous, or they're not, and it has nothing to do with wine.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, DonRocks said:

A whole lot of people - many of them wine writers - love using this term.

I've never seriously used the term "wine snob" in my life - people are either pompous, or they're not, and it has nothing to do with wine.

I've been an apprentice wine snob for 40+ years. Never managed to graduate. Suspect cheating by examiners.......

An NZ wine judge tries a glass of "natural" PN in a restaurant, doesn't like it, and privately texts the winemaker that she should get another job. She publicices the text and then..... Here are two wine commentators on the matter.

Although I've never met him, I consider Tom Wark a friend. We've spoken by phone several times and collaborated on a project. That said, I go with Wine-Searcher on this, even though I'm a fully paid up member of the League of Pear-Shaped men, and white, and old, and.........

The comments section on Wark are well worth the read. Commentator vs. commentator.

https://fermentationwineblog.com/2020/12/a-sip-of-wine-a-mean-email-a-bad-pr-move-an-ugly-tale/

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2020/12/wines-problem-with-old-white-men