Park The Segway Outside

Nadya

It seems as though the Segway riders posting to this thread are of two minds. However, would it be safe to say that the preponderance of opinion expressed here is that everyone should assume that anyone riding a Segway is disabled?

Is that because such a large percentage of Segway riders are, in fact, persons with disabilities? If that's the case, have riders' groups considered trying to get it certified as a medical device themselves, so that its benefits can be shared by a greater percentage of the disabled community versus being reserved for those of sufficient means to pay for it out of pocket? (I know from the discussion upthread that Segway isn't allowed to do it for themselves due to a marketing agreement with a wheelchair manufacturer to whom they've licensed pieces of the technology.)

If, on the other hand, non-disabled persons are attempting to receive preferential treatment from use of a Segway because they're aware it may be assumed they're disabled... well, honestly, shame on them.

Clement Moore (1779-1863) was a brilliant biblical scholar, a graduate of Columbia College, a professor of Asian and Greek literature, the author of a two-volume Hebrew dictionary, and a board member of the New York Institution for the Blind, among many other things.

And the only thing anyone remembers him for is writing "'Twas The Night Before Christmas." :)

• Like 1

It seems as though the Segway riders posting to this thread are of two minds. However, would it be safe to say that the preponderance of opinion expressed here is that everyone should assume that anyone riding a Segway is disabled?

Even though about 25% of the segways we have sold went to people with some sort of a disability, I would definately not assume a segway rider is disabled.

Is that because such a large percentage of Segway riders are, in fact, persons with disabilities? If that's the case, have riders' groups considered trying to get it certified as a medical device themselves, so that its benefits can be shared by a greater percentage of the disabled community versus being reserved for those of sufficient means to pay for it out of pocket? (I know from the discussion upthread that Segway isn't allowed to do it for themselves due to a marketing agreement with a wheelchair manufacturer to whom they've licensed pieces of the technology.)

I think it has been tried, but it is tough when the manufacturer is repeating over and over that this is not a medical device. Unfortunate for those who cannot pay for it out of pocket that they are stuck with a rascal or something similar. Or for their insurance company if they find out about the Ibot and the insurance gets a bill for $29k.

mike

Now I agree with Nadya We seem to be beating a Dead Horse.(For the ones that didn't understand her last post)..You all have your opinions and won't budge one way or the other ,myself included..And finally I agree the guy that brought the Segway in ,in the first place could or schoud of left by the doorway within sight and asked for a table where he could keep an eye on it .Or put it back in his Room at the hotel and if not staying there back in his car trunk..I take mine to New York City and glide all over midtown and have been to several restaurants and even get the free plug-in and never a n negative comment ..So Rock I also say lock this up and put it to Bed..We have a no-win thread going on here :)

I dont like it when people bring their bad attitude and arrogancy into the restaurant.

That's fair enough, but as a PWBAAA I wish to remind you that you are not to ask me to disclose my bad attitude and arrogancy in advance of my visit, though I may choose to reveal either, or both, to you during the course of my meal should the red snapper bisque be too tepid or the Donnhoff too warm for my taste.

Enough ALREADY

We have had our fun, and it is time to get back to the business of good food and good customer service.

And several of us got together on our Segways today - and had a marvelous meal, where we, and our Segways were most welcome....

Great site, I plan on spending more time on it finding out more about DC wild and wonderful places to eat and be merry!

I think I know this guy!

Back in Feb - May of '05, I used to work at Rock Creek Restaurant in Bethesda, and this 60-something man used to roll in with the segway.

The owner HATED this guy because he would just come bursting through the door with the thing.

It was funny because he would stand there on the thing while waiting for the table and then roll over to the table and dismount.

I guess he had a little trouble walking, but I always wondered why he had no trouble standing on that thing for the half hour he was waiting for a table.

Hi. I am the owner of Rock Creek, and I can say that we most certainly do not HATE the man who comes in on his Segway. When we built Rock Creek we went to enormous lengths to make it not only handicapped accessible but handicapped friendly. The person who comes into Rock Creek regularly who uses a Segway is someone who needs his Segway -- the same way someone who comes in in a wheelchair needs the wheelchair. We welcome him each and every time, and will continue to do so.

So while this is an "enough already" thread, I have to say that I was really offended by the tone of a good deal of this -- try having a neuromuscular disease that requires assistance and see how welcome you are in the restaurants of DC.In the future when someone comes in on a Segway, try to note the reason rather than focus on the inconvenience. That could well be you some day.

Hi. I am the owner of Rock Creek, and I can say that we most certainly do not HATE the man who comes in on his Segway. When we built Rock Creek we went to enormous lengths to make it not only handicapped accessible but handicapped friendly. The person who comes into Rock Creek regularly who uses a Segway is someone who needs his Segway -- the same way someone who comes in in a wheelchair needs the wheelchair. We welcome him each and every time, and will continue to do so.

So while this is an "enough already" thread, I have to say that I was really offended by the tone of a good deal of this -- try having a neuromuscular disease that requires assistance and see how welcome you are in the restaurants of DC.In the future when someone comes in on a Segway, try to note the reason rather than focus on the inconvenience. That could well be you some day.

That was a fantastic response, Judy, and pretty much nails my personal opinion on the subject and the reponses here. And, your thoughts hold extra credibility given that you have dealt with the same situation(s) as was originally the subject of this thread.

Today's Washington Post says...

The week's Washington Auto Show is full of fast, fabulous machines, but what really got our motors running was a chance to hang with the fast, fabulous Redskins running back Clinton Portis .

But when we rushed to the Convention Center on Tuesday night, who's the first person we bumped into? Sen. George Allen test-driving . . . a Segway. The Virginia Republican zipped back and forth, grinning broadly. (This was his first time on the geek machine, so, no, he's not the guy who rolled into Bistro Bis.) We asked what his Segway Platform will be if, as rumored, he becomes a presidential candidate in '08: "Keeping America moving forward with new innovation!"

Nadya says:

The Moving Finger writes; and having writ,

Moves on; nor all your piety or wit

Shall lure it back to cancel Half a Line,

Nor will your tears wash out a word of it.

Edited by Nadya

Nadya says:

The Moving Finger writes; and having writ,

Moves on; nor all your piety or wit

Shall move it back to cancel Half a Line,

Nor all your tears wash out a word of it.

Intergret - the remorse one feels after the full ramifications of a posting have come to pass.

Glad I have an edit button, :lol:

Rocks

I feel the need to summarize, in the hopes that if I say it all, nobody else will have to :lol:

a) to my understanding, nobody on this thread is virulently anti-Segway.

:huh: it is understood that Segways can and in fact are used by some disabled folks as a means of transportation. More power to them.

c) however, if one is seeking privacy and anonymity, as stated above and on the Seg site, perhaps riding a vertical machine that makes one tower above most people in traditionally pedestrian-only areas is not maybe the best choice to make. Particularly as this device, unlike a motorized wheelchair etc., is used predominantly (as per my understanding of the posts here and elsewhere) by able-bodied folks, if one rides it as a medical necessity, one probably ought to be willing to 1) inform the restaurant (for example) ahead of time of the need to ride it freely; 2) be understanding of the difficulties that a device of such size would cause, particularly in a small space; 3) be prepared to explain in person that the device is necessary (the chance of there being gaps in the lines of communication of any restaurant is pretty good); and 4) be sensitive to the needs of those about you. It might also be a good idea -- though clearly not a requirement -- to provide some visual cue, such as a bumper sticker, as to the necessity of the device -- at the very least, it would probably cut down on the number of times one is questioned about the need for the machine!

c) it is good to assume the best of people -- whether riding Segways or hostessing restaurants.

d) finally, as in all situations in which one is introducing a new variable into "standard" social equations (whether proceeding down the avenue or eating in a fine restaurant, etc.), it is important to be cognizant of the role you are playing and to be polite to those caught unawares by you and your fabulous new Thing. This goes for everyone, everywhere, with any sort of newfangled machine :) .

Phew.

The Bistro Bis Segway rider has written to the Reliable Source chat in the Washington Post Live OnLine:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpdyn/conten...6012701279.html

I won't excerpt it here, but his post is currently halfway down and is identified as "Las Vegas, Nev., and Washington, D.C.:". He has apparently left his phone number with the Reliable Source ladies.....

The Bistro Bis Segway rider has written to the Reliable Source chat in the Washington Post Live OnLine:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpdyn/conten...6012701279.html

I won't excerpt it here, but his post is currently halfway down and is identified as "Las Vegas, Nev., and Washington, D.C.:".  He has apparently left his phone number with the Reliable Source ladies.....

[That link isn't working for me. But the discussion is -->HERE<--.]

Interesting to note that DR himself posted a little further down the thread.  Rox on Rocks.  Or Vice Versa.

you mean, besides this one?
Northwest: Hey ladies, where can I go in the city for lunch or happy hour where power women eat and hang out? I'm looking to meet an older power-type rich-ish woman. She could either be single or married but open to an affair. I remember years ago The Palm was a good place but where could I go now?

No matter how you slice it, tho, I think Nadya earned her $5 on this one.

And this site has gotten more out of it than that.

Hey it has been a great glide with you guys, and next week, we will have a bunch of Segway HT users in town, from all over the country, for an event at Walter Reed Army Hospital for vets returning from Iraq who will be learning how to use the Segway to help them with their mobility.

Dinner will be served......

The Segway rider is now fully outed. Link is here.

Maybe this is a trend with legs.

No matter how you slice it, tho, I think Nadya earned her $5 on this one.

The new information that came out of today's article:
-- It seems that Nadya was more accomodating to the Segway user than she led us on to believe in the first post. The Segway guy noted that he was treated well and gave her a tip. I'm interested from Nadya as to why she was more forward about her thoughts than her actions.
-- The Segway guy was disabled as many on the thread correctly assumed.

Anyway, this whole incident and the subsequent discussion was still a great learning for me and I'm sure many others!

I'm interested from Nadya as to why she was more forward about her thoughts than her actions.

I'm not Nadya, but all along I've thought her original posting was nothing more than a humor piece based on a real-life event. The actual events were interesting enough, but her embellishments and style are what made it funny. It was an exercise in creative writing, at least that's the way I've always seen it.

Cheers,

Rocks

I'm not Nadya, but all along I've thought her original posting was nothing more than a humor piece based on a real-life event.  The actual events were interesting enough, but her embellishments and style are what made it funny.  It was an exercise in creative writing, at least that's the way I've always seen it.

Cheers,

Rocks

I COMPLETELY agree. Nadya's posts are often the most engaging, interesting, humorous and fun posts on this board and others. She has a fantastic ability to take a simple slice of life and share it in a manner that's designed to entertain. Her initial post on this subject fit her style 100%. What it turned into, however, was naturally unexpected. And those who have not had the pleasure of enjoying her superb posts over the years may not have understood its true nature.

I am thrilled that no animals, vegetables, minerals or anything else was injured as a result of this Segway story.

Do hotel restaurants ever have access to wheelchairs? If so, then perhaps disabled Segway patrons can call in advance and request someone from the restaurant to meet them outside for assistance to their table.

This also alleviates the problem that occurs when a disabled Segway diner with his Segway parked in the coat closet needs to pee.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I COMPLETELY agree.  Nadya's posts are often the most engaging, interesting, humorous and fun posts on this board and others.  She has a fantastic ability to take a simple slice of life and share it in a manner that's designed to entertain.  Her initial post on this subject fit her style 100%.  What it turned into, however, was naturally unexpected.  And those who have not had the pleasure of enjoying her superb posts over the years may not have understood its true nature. 

I am thrilled that no animals, vegetables, minerals or anything else was injured as a result of this Segway story.

Given the fact the about 25% of the posts on this thread were from "shrimps" and "clams", I think it is safe to say that many people who advanced their opinions had no idea who Nadya is, what she does or how she writes. And when you mix that up with a politically-charged topic that involves potentially disabled persons, half-jokes can be taken the wrong way.

I love reading the posts on this site and think it is a wonderful resource. Let's all hope that it is an endeavour fully open to participation from "non-insiders" so we can appreciate input from an even wider and more diverse group.

. . . I think it is safe to say that many people who advanced their opinions had no idea who Nadya is, what she does or how she writes.

The most intriguing thing about Nadya (to me, at least) is that English is NOT her first language. Yet, her facility with written English is more advanced than 99.99% of native speakers and that includes ME. :lol:

After reading some of her posts, I often wonder if she isn't the reincarnation of Joseph Conrad.

The most intriguing thing about Nadya (to me, at least) is that English is NOT her first language.  Yet, her facility with written English is more advanced than 99.99% of native speakers and that includes ME. :lol:

After reading some of her posts, I often wonder if she isn't the reincarnation of Joseph Conrad.

or Vladimir Nabokov.

I disagree. This site has gotten NOTHING from this post. Remember, Don is not in it for the sheer number of members. We had an 10+page post on disabled issues and segway fanatics, nothing which relates to the mission of this site which is FOOD.

And this site has gotten more out of it than that.

Hey it has been a great glide with you guys, and next week, we will have a bunch of Segway HT users in town, from all over the country, for an event at Walter Reed Army Hospital for vets returning from Iraq who will be learning how to use the Segway to help them with their mobility.

Dinner will be served......

I disagree.  This site has gotten NOTHING from this post.  Remember, Don is not in it for the sheer number of members.  We had an 10+page post on disabled issues and segway fanatics, nothing which relates to the mission of this site which is FOOD.

I must respectfully disagree. Don has received quite a bit of publicity for this site stemming from Nadya's initial post. And, much of this site is about restaurants and all that goes with them, including etiquette issues and horror stories. If this was just a place for people to offer reviews of various restaurants, it would not be nearly as valuable to us as it is.

I must respectfully disagree.  Don has received quite a bit of publicity for this site stemming from Nadya's initial post.  And, much of this site is about restaurants and all that goes with them, including etiquette issues and horror stories.  If this was just a place for people to offer reviews of various restaurants, it would not be nearly as valuable to us as it is.

I won't speak for Don, but IMHO I do not think he is looking for publicity like that...I could be wrong. This site is getting quite large.

This site is about food in my opinion. The horror stories are light moments and jokes that Don kindly lets us post. Put 40 pages on disabilities is NOT related to food.

I won't speak for Don, but IMHO I do not think he is looking for publicity like that...I could be wrong. This site is getting quite large.

[i'm really not looking for anything other than to provide an enjoyable community for people here - any goals I had for this website were reached long ago. Publicity is fine and I won't turn it down, but I'm not going to go seek it out either.

I do think this has been an interesting topic, a trainwreck at times, but largely entertaining, and closely enough related to the local restaurant scene where it has been appropriate.]

Do hotel restaurants ever have access to wheelchairs? If so, then perhaps disabled Segway patrons can call in advance and request someone from the restaurant to meet them outside for assistance to their table.

This also alleviates the problem that occurs when a disabled Segway diner with his Segway parked in the coat closet needs to pee.

Cheers,
Rocks.

No comments about this as a potential solution for all parties?

We ahve customers in wheelchairs and in motorized scooters all hte time. As anyone who has been to Dino can attest, we are crowded and have very limited space to accomodate. But we do our best. We also have folk come in with no visible sign of need ing accomodation and who have not made a call ahead. We may only have upstairs seating or a booth and these options may not work for them. The only thing we can do in these situations is to make them wait until we can offer them a table that meets their needs. If they call in advance, then we can plan for it and make things go easier.

It seems to me that the Segway issue falls most closely into the latter category. Soeone on a Segway does not immediately bring to mind that they need accomodation and if they don't bring it to our attention in some way, no matter how subtle or direct, we would not have as easy a time accomodating them. We would try, but we could only do what we could do.

No one likes to have to announce their special needs, but it helps. I don't like to say that I have a defibrilator but I have to every time I am asked to go thru a metal detector. But there is no other way the screener will know. So until there is some type of tag issued to a Segway or some other way to distinguish one using it for need versus someone using it for want, the restaurant deserves to get a little forwarning so they can make arrangements.

On a Saturday night, I would probably not accomodate a Segway user who was not using it for disability. It would interfere with my ability to deliver service to all my guests. I also would not be able to accomidate a request to store a bike in the restaurant for a cyclist desiring to dine in my restaurant. On a Tuesday night, we could handle it. But for a person using it for health reasons, I would figure out something no matter what.

[i'm really not looking for anything other than to provide an enjoyable community for people here - any goals I had for this website were reached long ago. Publicity is fine and I won't turn it down, but I'm not going to go seek it out either.

I do think this has been an interesting topic, a trainwreck at times, but largely entertaining, and closely enough related to the local restaurant scene where it has been appropriate.]
No comments about this as a potential solution for all parties?

I think that would have to depend on the layout of the restaurant - for instance, are there steps involved, how wide is the space, is it possible to manouver without nicking something, etc. We have three steps down separating the lounge area from the main dining area, so getting past these would take some planning but certainly can be done. I imagine it would be different for every individual restaurant depending on the layout.

Also wanted to say big thank you to everyone for your very kind and warm words of support, it means a lot to me. Once I recover from the weekend, I will post something meaningful.

Edited to add I agree 500% with what Dean wrote re: accommodation. It's all about common sense, what we have and what we can and cannot do without imposing on others.

We had an 10+page post on disabled issues and segway fanatics, nothing which relates to the mission of this site which is FOOD.

I looked for the "mission statement" you seem to cite, I couldn't find it. I did find a welcome from Don though. Please note the line in which it is stated, "...I hope you'll feel welcome in joining and nurturing a vibrant, dynamic community. It's not going to be about the food; it's going to be about people."

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to say Welcome!, and to thank you for stopping by. Please click on "Register" and become a member - it's quick, it's easy, and it's free (and always will be). As a member, you'll be able to post, search topics, contact other members, attend fun events, make new friends - even get to try a piece of ventworm cake (click here)! There's really no reason not to register, so please do!

Please forgive my slowness in getting the topics populated with some of my older writings - I'm trying to get this forum up-and-running in my spare time, and it will be a couple more weeks before things are fully functional.

When other people begin posting I'll be moving my initial postings out and/or down into the threads, if for no other reason than because I don't want to see my name everywhere. I'm determined to use a light touch to moderate this forum, and wish to remain discrete and as behind-the-scenes as possible. Each and every individual here is more important to me than the site itself, and I hope you'll feel welcome in joining and nurturing a vibrant, dynamic community. It's not going to be about the food; it's going to be about people.

Welcome!

Rocks

I think that would have to depend on the layout of the restaurant - for instance, are there steps involved
If I'm not much mistaken, the police-model Segway (It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. Lot of pickup but no cigarette lighter) can go up stairs in power assist mode (not with a rider, thouth). It's also classified by Homeland Security as a suitable two-wheeled vehicle to transport fully suited-up bomb technicians to a Hot Zone that may or may not be a restaurant.

If I'm not much mistaken, the police-model Segway (It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks.  Lot of pickup but no cigarette lighter) can go up stairs in power assist mode (not with a rider, thouth). 

I was suggesting someone from the restaurant could go meet the disabled patron outside, at the parked Segway, with wheelchair transport. I'm not sure how many restaurants have wheelchairs at their disposal, so this may or may not be a viable solution.

My last comment:

I am afraid that in some aspects of this controversy, Nadya has been vilified. Thats really unfortunate since she is really a nice person. And while we all can learn about the issues of others, most of us don't have it analyzed on a website and in the Post!

One of the major raisons d'etre for this board is because a bunch of other boards wanted to be about food and thought that excluded any discussion of the dynamics around food, drink, dining, and hospitality and the people that like to discuss them. So no, this board is not all about the food.

Edited by jparrott

Just something to break up your day, excerpted from an AP article at www.nytimes.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Segway Inc. is recalling all 23,500 of the self-balancing scooters it has shipped to date because of a software glitch that can make its wheels unexpectedly reverse direction, causing riders to fall off -- and in at least one incident, break some teeth.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, with whom Segway is cooperating on the voluntary recall announced Thursday, said consumers should stop using the vehicles immediately. . .

Segway is offering a free software upgrade that will fix the problem. The upgrades will be done at Segway's 100 dealerships and service centers around the world, according to Segway spokeswoman Carla Vallone, and the company based in Bedford, N.H., will pay to ship the devices to the appropriate center if need be."

Just something to break up your day, excerpted from an AP article at www.nytimes.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Segway Inc. is recalling all 23,500 of the self-balancing scooters it has shipped to date because of a software glitch that can make its wheels unexpectedly reverse direction, causing riders to fall off -- and in at least one incident, break some teeth.

Segway must have read about the fracas at a certain DC restaurant. Nice to see that they've come up with a solution to pesky Segway riders trying to get into restaurants.

Segway must have read about the fracas at a certain DC restaurant. Nice to see that they've come up with a solution to pesky Segway riders trying to get into restaurants.

I'd much rather have my teeth broken by Nadya than in an ignominious stumble off a geek-mobile.