Cheese

We've had a number of discussion threads about specific cheeses, regional cheeses, cheeses suitable for specific uses, and cheesemongers, but surprisingly not a catch-all location for the love of all things cheese, so maybe a new topic will get the ball rolling.

Quick take: yesterday in Canada, I got a taste of Beehive's (UT) "TeaHive", cheddar-style made from Jersey milk, then rolled in bergamot. It took 1st in the herbed cheddar category at the 2012 ACS competition. Only mildly aged, I thought it was outstanding; the flavor combo is savory and inventive, and the firm-but-not-hard texture made it entirely too easy to snack on.

Everona Dairy "Piedmont Reserve", Rapidan VA. 100% unpasteurized sheep, aged 6-12 months. Superficially resembles a pecorino, with a really inviting aroma, and color and nice crumbly crunch that suggests even more age, but apart from the initial taste it stumbles short on nutty greatness.

Fromagerie du Presbytère "Le Bleu d'Élizabeth", Centre-du-Québec QC. Organic, pasteurized cow's milk, inoculated with roquefort penicillium. Double winner 2013 Canadian Cheese grand prix in the bleu and organic categories. This has been my go-to bleu in recent years while in Canada, superficially resembling a well-veined roquefort and decidedly sharper than most, but not quite as active as a Cabrales. Fantastic if allowed a bit of age.

Respectfully tasted,

I inadvertantly found the local cheese bin at a nicer Swiss grocery store (Manor) and discovered Tomme de la Venoge nature. It's made by Fromagerie de MM Bory in the town of Dizy, Switzerland. It comes in a variety of flavors but I stuck with the "natural" version.

I have a new favorite cheese. Left to soften, it is creamy and pungent, although not as strong as Epoise. The rind has a soft bloom that helps cut the sharpness of the cheese. It is runny enough that I had to use a spoon to enjoy. If I was able to bring home cheese as gifts this is what you would all receive.

I inadvertantly found the local cheese bin at a nicer Swiss grocery store (Manor) and discovered Tomme de la Venoge nature. It's made by Fromagerie de MM Bory in the town of Dizy, Switzerland. It comes in a variety of flavors but I stuck with the "natural" version.

I have a new favorite cheese. Left to soften, it is creamy and pungent, although not as strong as Epoise. The rind has a soft bloom that helps cut the sharpness of the cheese. It is runny enough that I had to use a spoon to enjoy. If I was able to bring home cheese as gifts this is what you would all receive.

Didn't the Swiss, rather than the French, invent raclette? (sp?) If so, you should be looking forward to winter and apres-ski for a real treat.

Indeed, one of the few things I am looking forward to about winter is raclette.  In January there is a mandatory ski retreat and apparently we eat enough that week to fulfill any craving one might have.  There will be fondue in my future as well.

On another cheese note...this week there was a wine and cheese for parents and teachers*.  There was a platter of what we would call Swiss cheese but when I made a comment about the Swiss cheese I was quickly corrected that I ate emmental now.

*Back to school night is much more fun for all involved when there is wine and cheese in a relaxed setting.