Bethesda location seems to have closed--windows are papered over and there is a for rent sign in the window.

We've been going every few months with the boy to recreate "The Cricket in Times Square" Chinese dinner.

Damn...It wasn't perfect but it was SO much better than what you can get out hear in Gaithersburg.

There's plenty of great Chinese in Gaithersburg and Rockville - why drive all the way to Bethesda?

There's plenty of great Chinese in Gaithersburg and Rockville - why drive all the way to Bethesda?

Because we haven't found any we like? The lure of Barnes and Noble, plus Georgetown Cupcakes, makes an evening in Bethesda pretty tempting.

(We've tried Tai Shan, Pacifica, China Jade and others. We've been disappointed at all.)

Because we haven't found any we like? The lure of Barnes and Noble, plus Georgetown Cupcakes, makes an evening in Bethesda pretty tempting.

(We've tried Tai Shan, Pacifica, China Jade and others. We've been disappointed at all.)

I've had excellent meals at all 3 - what didn't you like about them?

What about Joe's Noodles, China Bistro, Sichuan Jin River, Bobs 66 x2, Michael's Noodles, Seven Seas, Tony Lin's...

Interesting topic, and now for an orthogonal diversion....

The food of China offers many millennia of towering gastronomical achievements, dwarfing most of the rest of the world by comparison. But in our area, I would hazard an assertion that Chinese cuisine stacks up about 5th place in terms of all the cuisines of Asia -- Vietnamese, thanks mostly to Falls Church; Korean, thanks mostly to Annandale; Japanese, thanks mostly to some of the high end places downtown; and Thai, thanks to the many little gems hidden all over the metropolitan area.

OK, now back to the main thread....

• Like 2

Interesting topic, and now for an orthogonal diversion....

The food of China offers many millennia of towering gastronomical achievements, dwarfing most of the rest of the world by comparison. But in our area, I would hazard an assertion that Chinese cuisine stacks up about 5th place in terms of all the cuisines of Asia -- Vietnamese, thanks mostly to Falls Church; Korean, thanks mostly to Annandale; Japanese, thanks mostly to some of the high end places downtown; and Thai, thanks to the many little gems hidden all over the metropolitan area.

OK, now back to the main thread....

This reads like someone who has not spent time in DC's Chinatown, which is Rockville, MD.

This reads like someone who has not spent time in DC's Chinatown, which is Rockville, MD.

I have, and I don't disagree with Kibbee (and might even add India). That said, I think this city is *totally* overrated for ethnic cuisine - we may "have it," but is "it" any good? I don't think it is, for the most part (this conversation just came to mind).

My Chinese-born friends urge me to go to China for an eye-opening experience (the seafood in Shanghai, for example).

I've had excellent meals at all 3 - what didn't you like about them?

What about Joe's Noodles, China Bistro, Sichuan Jin River, Bobs 66 x2, Michael's Noodles, Seven Seas, Tony Lin's...

We loved Pacifica for a few years and find it tired now. Tai Shan has tended toward gloppy. I don't remember what we didn't like about China Jade but I know we've tried it once a year since we moved here in 2006.

Joe's--not my thing. China Bistro--dumplings are too doughy for my taste. Sichuan Jin River--liked the tea smoked duck. Haven't been to Bob's since it reopened. Haven't tried the others.

I will say that 2/3 of the family likes New Fortune for Dim Sum.

I still miss the Mandarin style Chinese of my childhood.

The truth is that I eat paleo-style 95 percent of the time. Chinese is rarely on my radar these days. But when it is, I want dumplings and Tinkling Bells Pork. From City Lights. I can get it at Meiwah too. Without the cupcakes next door or the Barnes and Noble across the street and the Apple Store down the block.

On the bright side, I think this just dramatically increased the odds that we will be checking out Redwood the next time we are in Bethesda.

I don't think there are any especially good Vietnamese, Thai, or Korean restaurants in the DC area. For example, the much touted Sok Top Jip is just good home-cooking. It's good but not elevated. Same for Vietnamese and Thai. Japanese food stands out because of a few high end Japanese restaurants.