Funny and Clever Names

Sthitch

So...

I was raised as "Mike" but when I got to college I decided to go by "Sean" since all the correspondence, etc., had that name on it. Then I kept running into people from high school and before who knew me as Mike, so I started signing my emails "Sean Mike". Which got me the nickname of SnM in college, and is different enough I tend to use it IRL, as the kids wouldn't say.

My family and my brother's JMU friends tend to call me Mike, still, while at work I'm just Sean.

My Twitter handle is HighwayStar, which came from the days at UVA where we'd change our "real names" on the RS/6000s regularly. GWAR's spin-off band X-Cops did a cover of the song Highway Star, and it just stuck with me. I think I even had some stories with a character related to that song back on my days on alt.cyberpunk.chatsubo on USENET...

My mom used to go to a Dr. Hyman Hunter. And I also have heard of a Dr. Hands.

There's a Rhoda Dendron in Greenville, SC, and for those who grew up near Fairland and E. Randolph Road (Colesville) in the 1980s, a dentist had a wooden sign (in the shape of a molar) in the corner of his yard that said Tooth Acre.

There's a Rhoda Dendron in Greenville, SC, and for those who grew up near Fairland and E. Randolph Road (Colesville) in the 1980s, a dentist had a wooden sign (in the shape of a molar) in the corner of his yard that said Tooth Acre.

There was an ophthalmologist and optometrist in the New Jersey of my youth named Seymour Bien. Looks like he might still be there.

Despite his failings (???) I tend to think ex Congressman Wiener, now running for Mayor in NYC had to be the toughest hombre or hombress in Congress or elsewhere.

How did that guy ever survive elementary school, middle school and high school with that name?

Assuming his next campaign goes nowhere he should probably get a job at the sausage place in Clarendon.

Despite his failings (???) I tend to think ex Congressman Wiener, now running for Mayor in NYC had to be the toughest hombre or hombres in Congress or elsewhere.

Apparently you are unaware of the former New Hampshire Congressman Richard Nelson "Dick" Swett. :)

yeah....

Its curious: of the many Richard's in this world, how many become Ricks and how many become Dicks???? :D

And then there are the intelligent few who go by their middle name. :)

My mom said she sometimes called me Dickie Don when I was a baby. :(

yeah....

Its curious: of the many Richard's in this world, how many become Ricks and how many become Dicks???? :D

My wife was telling me the unfortunate story of a young man she went to high school with, his father, a famous Jazz pianist/arranger/jingle writer in Chicago, was always called "Big Dick" and so when people referred to his son Richard they called him "Little Dick" - the eldest went by Dick Marx until he died, his son stuck with Richard.

I just remembered two more: a friend of mine in Ireland, Enda Story; and, a friend of my ex in Mexico. She was a lovely Swedish with the first name of Viva. She married a guy with the last name Zapata, in Mexico. She became Viva Zapata!

By the way, I was not joking he practices in Fairfax.

If you were joking, his name would have been C. Harry Beavers.

How about the ones that don't translate well. My cousin Esta Margolis married an airline pilot named Richard Mona. They traveled a lot, and whenever they were going into a Spanish-speaking country, the officials examining her passport would fall all over themselves laughing about her name--in Spanish, Esta Mona means "this monkey."

I remember reading a brief story in the Edmonton Sun, probably back in the late 80s, about a couple about to marry. If I recall correctly he took her last name. His name: Robin Thursday. Her name: Tuesday Hood.

Too bad they didn't take each other's names!

I remember reading a brief story in the Edmonton Sun, probably back in the late 80s, about a couple about to marry. If I recall correctly he took her last name. His name: Robin Thursday. Her name: Tuesday Hood.

That's funny. A coincidence, as well. My (late) cousin Esta grew up in Edmonton, which is my father's home town.

My wife was telling me the unfortunate story of a young man she went to high school with, his father, a famous Jazz pianist/arranger/jingle writer in Chicago, was always called "Big Dick" and so when people referred to his son Richard they called him "Little Dick" - the eldest went by Dick Marx until he died, his son stuck with Richard.

I saw Richard Marx performing at our Picnic with the Pops last night! He referred to his three sons as "The Marx Brothers." He also talked about his Dad, who scored some of "littlle Dick's" songs for orchestra before he died. Nice, laid-back show.