Oyster House, Owner Sam Mink and Chef Brett Naylor on S. 15th and Sansom Street in Rittenhouse Square -

My friend Katie Loeb runs the bar program at Oyster House (1516 Sansom Street), so I'm not completely unbiased, but I very much enjoy both raw and cooked options there. One of their specialties is fried oysters with chicken salad, a Philly tradition dating from a time when oysters were cheap and chicken was expensive. Or something like that.

Food's good, drinks are good, there's pretty much always a cask beer on. And Nodding Head brewpub upstairs makes exceptional, moderate alcohol beers for pre- or post-imbibification.

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.
Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

Just up the street from Ludwig's is a pleasent respite from walking around mid-town Philly, Sansom Street Oyster House. With windows that open onto the street and a large handsome bar, the obvious appeal here is anything raw and while the beer isn't special, you can't beat some oysters and Bass to while away the afternoon.

To update the prior posts, Nodding Head is gone (possibly relocating), as is Katie Loeb (the cocktails are still excellent, though), but Oyster House is still going strong. I spent my New Years weekend in Philly and took refuge from the Mummers with some oysters and a bloody.

Are those hard, round biscuits, i.e., "oyster crackers?" I don't remember seeing those recently, but I think I've seen them before.

Had dinner here at the bar by myself and absolutely loved it. Just a great, classic place. Fantastic cocktails, great oysters, and I also enjoyed the grilled octopus. The only thing approaching a complaint would be that the clam chowder was a bit short on clams. But otherwise just a great experience.