Flair Bartenders

I think TGIFriday's got rid of the flair thing in the last few years. I think they were sick of the jokes. There was some weird stuff when I went to the one at GW about a year ago. The waitress gave change from a wad of cash that she had for anyone who paid cash. Note that was gave change and not made change. Then it all went back into her server's apron.

I have no idea if TGIF is still trying to get its bartenders nationwide to do flair but there at least some TG's in this area with flair bartenders. One of them is in Fairfax.

Some years ago the instructors at our school got caught up in flair. There really was a lot of practice and effort involved and they did become the best flair bartenders in the region going so far to be entered in "big time" flair competitions nationwide and in Canada. We had one instructor who was quite a character and got into the flair world enough that we had a visit from the #1 flair person in the world at that time per the competitions that determined that type of thing.

In practice while working and with busy crowds they call some of their little tricks working flair. Really simple fiips in the midst of preparing a lot of drinks. But then some of them go far far beyond that and do put on sort of amazing shows with some pretty incredible tricks.

It doesn't do anything for me...but the locals have been hired for shows, sponsored shows, done performances in the midst of some corporate events etc.

I guess its fine if your thing is watching a bartender flip a bottle and catching it on his/her forehead, bouncing it off their elbow and then flipping it again 3-10 times.

So if you wish to see a little flair in this region I believe there are an active group of flair bartenders at a TGIF in Fairfax at the least. If you want to watch a show be prepared to see a lot of drinking drunk bartenders from around the region cheering on some more accomplished flair bartenders try and defy gravity and perform exotic juggling type tricks while flipping bottles and possible breathing fire. :D

I guess its fine if your thing is watching a bartender flip a bottle and catching it on his/her forehead, bouncing it off their elbow and then flipping it again 3-10 times.

The only positive thing I can think of when it comes to "flair" is weighted cocktail shakers. I prefer the extra bit of weight when shaking a drink, yes a glass shaker would work, but with the weighted metal I do not have to worry about another glass shaker breaking dumping delicious intoxicants all over the floor.

• Like 1

....a little tidbit I learned about flair bartenders the other day:

Our school was contacted about providing 2 flair bartenders for a party/event on a Saturday. The offer was for $150/person for 4 hours plus tips. It was some sort of corporate event. I would assume some range of anywhere from $50-200 for tips.

Many of the better flair bartenders in this region are connected to our school as former students and instructors. I called one of them who is in the middle of it and knows all of them. He responded that they are all working and that they are all making more than that on a Saturday.

Not a bad gig IMHO.

(the really good ones are better than most everyone at a TGIF.)