Rustico is slated for an opening in February. I would say on the later side of that estimate. The chef is awesome, the GM is a greatguy who has worked for the company for quite some time. Should be aces across the board when it opens.

Rustico is slated for an opening in February. I would say on the later side of that estimate. The chef is awesome, the GM is a greatguy who has worked for the company for quite some time. Should be aces across the board when it opens.

The restaurant that was going to open before Vermilion...glad to hear it's finally going to open. Had long talks a long time ago about Rustico when it was supposed to be in Del Ray where the Caboose is now..

The menu is shaping up to be more American than Italian - the brick oven pizzas are definitely a nod to the culture, but there will also be steaks, planked fish, salads, and sandwiches (chef's also been playing around with the idea of a paella from the oven). The bar is concentrating on beer instead of wine with more than 250 in bottle and 30 on tap.

I'll post more specifics as the opening draws near...

Just out of curiosity, how does an establishment cope with keeping 30 draught beers fresh?

Vigilant taste testing for quality control, of course! :) Our beer director jokes, but that's actually a large part of it. The other part is controlling the volume of beer per delivery and rotating the kegs on a certain schedule. The Rustico bar staff are major beer lovers, so rest assured the program is going to be well-run.

The bar is concentrating on beer instead of wine with more than 250 in bottle and 30 on tap. 

I'll post more specifics as the opening draws near...

Please do keep us informed. 30 beers on tap... mmm...

If they want to make it an overflow lounge for the pizza operation, I'm going to Rustica (opening in March  :lol: ).

Rustica? Who, What, When and WHERE?

Rustica?  Who, What, When and WHERE?

Who - Rustico...newest restaurant from the folks who run Tallula, Vermilion & Evening Star Cafe

What - rustic American cuisine with pizza and a whole lot more! Around 280 beers on the list, including 30 on tap & casks of real ale (not to mention seasonal sangrias, wine & liquor)

Where - 827 Slaters Lane, Alexandria (www.rusticorestaurant.com)

When - we're shooting for the beginning of March, so keep your fingers crossed.

I've been privileged to have been included in a number of tastings for the new menu & I have to say I am SO excited about this place. There are dishes on the menu that are absolutely amazing (and believe me, I'm not saying that because they pay me to!).

Look for updates on the Rustico thread...I'll keep you updated as much as I can!

Mark your calendars - Tuesday, March 14 (it's not as far away as I think it is!)

I want a full report as I will be in the lovely NW.

Mark your calendars - Tuesday, March 14 (it's not as far away as I think it is!)

Any firm word on what will be on tap (or, more importantly, on cask) at the opening?

Any firm word on what will be on tap (or, more importantly, on cask) at the opening?

All in good time, my dear, all in good time! I can safely announce to all those who insist that Miller Lite tastes great AND is less filling, they will have a tap all to themselves that pours that tasteless swill they call beer. That's the only real sell-out tap I can think of off the top of my head at 3:30 in the morning. The rest I either REALLY enjoy or have never heard of (but then again, I am far from a beer geek like some of my colleagues).

Four casks have been ordered and ye who arrives first through the doors of Rustico gets tapped, I've been told. There will always been a firkin to be had - how fast they rotate depends on you the drinking public. But with more than 280 beers to choose from, why would you spend all your time just drinking one kind?!

I'll be able to convey solid intelligence on the taps, firkin and a sneak preview of my top five strangebrews in the bottle (or nitro can) on Wednesday, March 8th.

Until then, I bid you all a good night.

First cask will be Clipper City's Loose Cannon out of Baltimore.

Rustico Draught List:

Guinness Stout

Miller Lite

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

New River Pale Ale

Rogue Seasonal (Rogue Skull Splitter)

Blanche de Chambly

Trois Pistoles

St. Bernardous Abt 12

Duchesse de Bourgogne

Sawtooth ESB

Smuttynose Old Brown Dog

Breckenridge Avalanche Ale

DeKoninck

Iron City Lager

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Seasonal (Aprihop)

Stone's Smoked Porter

Victory Prima Pils

Victory Golden Monkey

Weyerbacher Hop Infusion IPA

Kasteel Raspberry Lambic

Blackthorne Cider

Allagash Grand Cru

Brooklyn Brown Ale

Stoudt's Scarlett Lady Best Bitter

Abita Purple Haze

Oxford Hefe Weizen

Clipper City Seasonal (Small Craft Warning)

District Chophouse Nut Brown Ale

Eggenberger Dunkl

(All taps subject to change)

Cheers!

OK, typed too soon. We're looking more toward mid to late next week instead of the 14th. I'll post the second I have a firm, absolute concrete date (promise)!

I'm so excited. I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. I'm so excited and I just can't hide it. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. I want you.

<_<

That is for you Joe! ;)

Nice web site.

The only bad thing about this place is that there is not a metro stop nearby.

That is for you Joe!  <_<

Nice web site.

The only bad thing about this place is that there is not a metro stop nearby.

It's not far from Braddock Road metro...

It's not far from Braddock Road metro...

According to Google maps it is .9mi, not bad, but not great.

According to Google maps it is .9mi, not bad, but not great.

a misdemeanor when good food is involved...and if you do it right, you don't even have to cross a main street...and afterwards, exercise to help the digestion. <_<

Where will the parking be, I wonder? Rustico is on the corner of a tiny street with roughly a half dozen parking meters. And there's no street parking permitted on Slaters Lane. Is there a parking garage in the vicinity that I don't know of?

Can't wait to try it, though! I've enjoyed Evening Star, Tallula and Vermillion.

Where will the parking be, I wonder?  Rustico is on the corner of a tiny street with roughly a half dozen parking meters.  And there's no street parking permitted on Slaters Lane.  Is there a parking garage in the vicinity that I don't know of?

Can't wait to try it, though!  I've enjoyed Evening Star, Tallula and Vermillion.

I believe there is a parking lot in the rear of the shopping area. Last time I was by there it was blocked off, but I am quite certain the City of Alexandria <_< would not allow that much retail to go in without adequate parking. Maybe MelGold can provide additional details.