Rustico, A Neighborhood Restaurant Group Chain in North Alexandria and Ballston

We, too, have been to Rustico at least six times in the past sveral months for lunch...mostly highlights with the pizzas being well-above-average..the basic magherita-style is well balanced with crispy-chewy crust and no "wetness"; the aforementioned park ragu is sublime, the lastest special, scallops with sweet pea grits is a great buy at $15.00 for lunch..avoid the gluten-free pizza crust....the chicken salad is also first rate, the tuna burger solid but a bit bland...All in all, a great neighborhood place that has found its comfort zone...and the beer, of course..and real ale.

We, too, have been to Rustico at least six times in the past sveral months for lunch...mostly highlights with the pizzas being well-above-average..the basic magherita-style is well balanced with crispy-chewy crust and no "wetness"; the aforementioned park ragu is sublime, the lastest special, scallops with sweet pea grits is a great buy at $15.00 for lunch..avoid the gluten-free pizza crust....the chicken salad is also first rate, the tuna burger solid but a bit bland...All in all, a great neighborhood place that has found its comfort zone...and the beer, of course..and real ale.

I had the scallops w/ sweet pea grits recently for dinner when I went down to Rustico to keep Eric company on St. Patrick's Day. The grits in that dish are outstanding. While the scallops were fine, the grits are the star of that dish.

I had the scallops w/ sweet pea grits recently for dinner when I went down to Rustico to keep Eric company on St. Patrick's Day. The grits in that dish are outstanding. While the scallops were fine, the grits are the star of that dish.

d'accord. go now. off the hook. one helluva dish. might i suggest dales's pale ale on draught as an accompaniment? yes. i do. 20 oz.

After being disappointed that Eamonn's was closed for Easter (but I am very glad for them that they had a day of rest), a very hungry gebaby demanded lunch soon, making a quick decision to go here.

A very unexpected choice for an Easter luncheon was the Fried Oyster special for today. Lightly breaded, I think it came in six large pieces on a plate atop of a great apple and some sort of root-slaw, plus a chipotle, spicy aioli sauce. The sauce was important, as there wasn't much seasoning to the breading, but it wasn't quite bland either. Gebaby did not care for it but instead enjoyed parts of his Kids' menu Cheese and pepperoni pizza. My friend and I agreed this was a great dish to share and enjoy and I am very thankful for her and gebaby's company on this beautiful Easter Sunday.

I'm surprised that I don't hear more buzz about Rustico. I always enjoy myself there and the food is always of good quality, especially given that it's one of the few places in town selling DR.com-caliber food at chain-level prices.

Peak Organic Nut Brown Ale is a new favorite of mine thanks to the recommendation of our server, and went guzzlingly with my Vermont cheddar burger ($12). The burger was beefy and juicy, although I do wish there had been some kind of sauce on it for added kick and lubrication.

The malted fries were the star of the show. Fries that are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside are easy to come by if you know where to look, but to get fries that have the right texture and also taste like quality, rustic potatoes is a rare gift. Definitely ask for extra smoked ketchup, and request a bottle to take home. They don't do it, but I'm sure if enough people asked...

email from WaPo:

Frank Morales Leaves Rustico

Frank Morales tells me he resigned on Wednesday from Rustico and its parent, the Neighborhood Restaurant Group.

"We have parted ways," confirmed Michael Babin, co-owner of the organization, who declined to go into specifics about the chef's departure. "I have tremendous respect for Frank and we appreciate everything he did at Rustico."

Morales returned the bouquet in a telephone interview: "It's a wonderful restaurant."

So why is he leaving after two years, especially with no other job lined up? "I did all that I could do" there, he says. "The good news is I'm not leaving town."

Part of Morales' role had been to help the Neighborhood Restaurant Group develop new businesses; one idea he leaves unfinished is Birch & Barley on 14th St. NW. The two-story, beer-themed restaurant and bar was originally scheduled to open last summer with Morales at its helm, but major structural issues have delayed the launch.

"It's coming, it's coming along," says Babin -- now eagerly searching for a chef to replace his former employee

I spoke with Frank Morales today about his future, and it would seem to be awash in suds. Read more. I'm still trying to find out what will happen at Rustico and Birch & Barley now that Morales is out. Chefs who focus on beer-friendly food don't exactly grow like barley in Russia.

Frank didn't exactly have a resume teeming with beer concepts when he came to Rustico. He was incredibly open-minded though and came to appreciate its versatility not just as a drink to pair with food but also as a wonderful flavor component to create with. Both Rustico and Birch & Barley offer open-ended adult playground-like platforms for a like-minded individual.

Rustico was our last night out during our trip. It was a schlep from Dupont Circle, but well worth it. Less than 1 minute after placing our order, a big gentleman with glasses, beard, and dressed in his best flannel shirt and jeans informed us that they were out of of gazpacho and apologized profusely for the mixup. My wife's melon and tomato salad and our bucket of fries came quickly and were both delicious. The star was the roasted mushroom pizza. I have always been a big fan of pizzas in wood fired oven and they do it perfectly. The crust was crisp on the bottom and tasted of the fire it came from. I had the Luke, I am your Father beer flight, which matched up well with the hearty pizza. Plating the butterscotch pudding in a mason jar is a trick I will have to remember for the future.

Overall, we were very impressed by the quick and courteous service and the quality of the food. It seems that the restaurant is doing just fine since Chef Morales departure.

Dan

I just got a press release that says Rustico (and Buzz) will be opening a second location in Ballston next summer at 4075 Wilson Blvd.

That is awesome news. My wife and I perform right across the street.

Sucks that it's going to take a whole year...

That is awesome news. My wife and I perform right across the street.

Sucks that it's going to take a whole year...

That is indeed great news for those of us in Arlington. Based on the address, it appears to be in the Liberty Center complex.

Disappointing night this past weekend at Rustico. Food was subpar, service too. This contrasts with our previous visits in which we were pleased with both. Admittedly, there seemed to be an Octoberfest celebration so the place was mobbed. This understandably had an adverse effect on the service. It was annoying to wait for water, drinks, and then for our food but not all that unexpected given the crowd. We didn't expect much different and were ok with it or else we would have dined elsewhere. I'm not sure if it was the crowd that adversely affected the food as well but we found the food across the board to be less enjoyable than previous visits. Things started good - my beet salad was good. Tangy goat cheese and sweetly flavorful beets. And my wife's butternut squash soup tasted like autumn in a bowl. Auspicious enough beginning. The entrees were most disappointing, however. I ordered the roasted mushroom pizza. Goat cheese, spinach, roasted mushrooms, and mushroom cream sounded promising but failed to deliver. Bland, chewy crust, shriveled dry mushrooms, and only a smattering of the other ingredients. Another diner's scallop dish was ok though the portion was quite small. Three scallops perched on a small tart of some sort was small indeed. The scallop was cooked well but the odd sweetness in the accompaniments gave the whole dish a weird taste. My wife did like her roasted chicken breast and the sweet potato puree was ok but the sauteed greens served with it again had a weird sweet taste to them. Not sure if they finished the greens with apple cider or something sweet but it was an odd taste.

I think we'l have to eventually give Rustico another try to see whether it was the crowds that night that resulted with our subpar experience or if the cooking really has gone downhill but this was a disappointment.

Disappointing night this past weekend at Rustico. Food was subpar, service too.

Same place. Same night. Totally different experience. Found myself with an extremely rare Saturday night off, and took my wife to Rustico. We caught the tail end of the Oktoberfest debauchery, and they certainly seemed to be a bit overwhelmed, but from the hostess to the bartender to our server to the food, everything was great. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about both the menu and the beers whcih helped make it a great night. Halfway through our meal, the chaos has largely subsided, and the staff seemed to have caught their breath. I heard there was several thousand at the festival, and when it ended Rustico was about the only place to stumble, so in retrospect I am surprised it was not more insane.

The cask condtioned beer they had, Clipper City Marzen I think, was just awesome.

Had a late lunch here today. Beet salad, baked cheese, duck confit pizza, and the chicken & waffles were all flavorful and satifying. I don't drink much beer, so while the food is good, it will not be enough to entice me to drive from Takoma Park. Loved the space, though.

I have to admit that I didn't anticipate great things from Rustico last night, given the ups and downs of previous reviews, and the fact that I was going with a party of nine at 10 p.m. on a Friday. I figured, sure, there'd be some beers, some burgers, some pizzas, and everyone would be in a post-Iron Man 2 good mood so it wouldn't really matter if things were kind of meh.

I'm more than happy to say I was wrong. Rustico performed, and performed well.

One of the dishes of the night would have to have been the first special we tried, an asparagus and burrata bruschetta ($12). The young asparagus had just enough of a char on them to highlight the creamy, delicate cheese; other people must have taken a chance on this, too, as we tried to get two orders and instead got only one, the last of the night. We also had two starter pizzas (Roasted Mushroom, mushroom cream, goat cheese, sauteed spinach [$14] and Duck Confit and Cracklins, brie and sautéed onions [$16]) shared amongst the group -- both solid presentations from the pizza oven, with great flavors, and perhaps just a bit too much of a crust-to-topping ratio.

The Grilled Dry-Aged Cheddar Burger, toasted brioche, red wine - shallot aioli, malted fries ($12) is a burger that could have been designed specifically for the birthday boy. Good thing, too, as he had accidentally left his wallet at home and was thus prohibited from trying any of the many beers available (the primary reason he chose the spot, although also it was mere minutes from the theatre). Of course, after the starters, he had to bring half the enormous, juicy, perfectly-cooked sandwich home, along with the pile of excellent fries. Slightly less than half, actually, because hands kept snaking over to steal them when he wasn't looking -- but for once, I was not among the fry purloiners! No; that's because I was one of the three at table who ordered the special, Soft-Shell Crabs, avocado purée, cucumber salad, and shoestring potatoes ($27). At just under twice what I've been paying around town for a single soft-shell as an appetizer, these were two beautiful, meaty specimens, caught at 4 p.m. that day (our server immediately informed us*), perfectly fried with just enough crunch but not too much batter, allowing the flavor of the crabs to shine through. The shoestrings were more like matchsticks, but that was fine with me -- crunchy, salty, and just barely potato-y, they were essentially another element of crispiness to play off the softness of the puree, cucumber bites, and crabmeat.

Another member of the party couldn't resist the Grilled Bone-In Pork Chop, chorizo fried rice, cherry compote ($22). This massive portion (much of which accompanied her home as well) was described by GennaroE as having "no right to be that tender and delicious" and I think he has half a mind to ask how they're brining that chop to keep it that way. The cherry was not too sweet, collaborating with instead of fighting the heat and spice of the other flavors on the plate. Gennaro described his own Half-Chicken Two Ways, creamy fregola & spring pea stew, herb chicken jus ($18) as far exceeding his expectations, a huge (I'm sensing a theme here) half-chicken that was juicy and full of spring-herb flavors -- although none of us could determine what the "two ways" were.

Probably the weakest dish was the Spinach and Ricotta Canelloni, creamy walnut sauce, confit shrimp & herb salad ($18). I didn't taste this, but it was deemed by those who did to be not bad, just underwhelming: filling a bit on the bland side, and the diner who ordered it didn't care for the texture of the shrimp, which also were very gently flavored. Nothing made this dish jump to life, and compared to the others on the table, it just felt lackluster.

I know I'm supposed to talk about the beer now, but honestly, I have no idea what beers people ordered and what they thought of them; for the most part, people were too busy talking about the food -- and other topics, of course, like how all the Louboutins the costumers put on Gwyneth Paltrow in the movie made us dislike her even more than usual** -- to comment too heavily on the libations.

Since this was a birthday celebration, there was dessert: Red Velvet Cheesecake, whipped cream, chocolate covered pretzels ($8). A rich yet light concoction from Buzz across the street, it was exactly right to end the meal, and the evening.

I'm not in that part of Alexandria that often, but I can say with confidence that I'll be back at Rustico, and before Iron Man 3 is out, for sure.

*I was reminded just how much of a neighborhood spot this is by our server's interactions with us -- or maybe it was just his personality. As you might have gathered, this was a table of self-professed sci-fi/comic book geeks, and at one point the topic of the Tauntaun sleeping bag came up. Because he was in earshot, our server dove right into the conversation. It wasn't at all unpleasant, just a bit unanticipated, as was the cartoon cow he drew on the take-out container for the burger (alas, no piggy on the pork chop's box).

**Unabashedly girly geek-out. No shoes or movie stars were harmed in the writing of this review.

Half-Chicken Two Ways, creamy fregola & spring pea stew, herb chicken jus ($18) as far exceeding his expectations, a huge (I'm sensing a theme here) half-chicken that was juicy and full of spring-herb flavors

This was the best chicken dish I've had in months. It hit all the right notes: super crispy, well seasoned skin; moist, flavorful meat within; a creamy mix of fregola and peas -- almost risotto like -- that offered a perfect foil to the crispness of the chicken; and a large portion to boot.

Other highlights were the bruschetta, which married creamy burrata perfectly with asparagus and some very nice, well grilled bread; the softshells, which had the perfect balance of crisp coating and meaty interior; and that pork chop, which was brined and cooked perfectly (crazy tender, nicely charred) and then paired up with a delicious chorizo fried rice and cherry compote, all of which worked together beautifully.

I didn't know what to expect from Rustico, but it far exceeded anything I hoped for. The kitchen was totally on point with both presentation and flavor on just about every dish (the cannelloni being the only exception). Plus, most everything we got actually seemed worth more than what it cost -- a refreshing change from most of the places I've frequented lately. Another refreshing change? The food was served hot, not luke warm.

If Rustico were any closer to me, I'd probably be there a lot. In their price range and style -- and based on just one visit -- I think there are few restaurants that can compete, especially in DC proper.

This is really good news. I've always really, really wanted to like Rustico (being an insane beer geek/snob) but none and of the dozen or so reworkings of their menu have ever really clicked. Gonna have to go back and give it another shot, I guess.

Finally got back to re(re-re-re-re-re-re-re)try Rustico in its latest iteration and the results are very, very good.

Started with the Asparagus Bruschetta, which was the highlight of the meal. Perfectly charred Italian bread slathered with ricotta (and what seemed to be better than your run-of-the-mill stuff to boot) was topped with grilled asparagus and a healthy slab of burrata then drizzled with olive oil. As Leelebo mentioned - the char against the creaminess of the cheese worked very, very well. The second best burrata I have ever had (next to the inestimable offering at Dino.)

For an entree I tried the wood-fired ribeye. It was 1/2" thick - good quality meat with little to no gristle and a nice layer of fat (but not too much) around the edges. Very well cooked to my order of rare, but I found myself wishing for perhaps a slightly thicker cut to allow for a bit more char on a steak cooked this rare. It was served with a very modest pour if gorgonzola cream sauce (which was perfectly fine given the potency of the flavor it imparted) and two skewers of grilled red potatoes and onions. The potatoes in particular were very well done, with a nice sweetness to them than balanced the tart gorganzola. The one big fault in the dish was the "root beer steak sauce," which at first taste was very interesting but asserted itself as overly sweet and cloying as the meal continued.

For dessert, a lemon tart topped with a blueberry compote (perhaps a bit overly sweet for the dish, or perhaps just a bit too much of it) and white chocolate shavings. The lemon custard itself was nice enough, but the crust could have used a bit more (as in any) flakiness - it came off as a bit soggy.

All in all, though, easily the strongest meal I have ever had here by a very long shot. Very much want to go back and try the "Crispy Tuna Loin" - flash fried yet still rare. I am intrigued.

One of the dishes of the night would have to have been the first special we tried, an asparagus and burrata bruschetta ($12). The young asparagus had just enough of a char on them to highlight the creamy, delicate cheese; other people must have taken a chance on this, too, as we tried to get two orders and instead got only one, the last of the night.

Other highlights were the bruschetta, which married creamy burrata perfectly with asparagus and some very nice, well grilled bread

Started with the Asparagus Bruschetta, which was the highlight of the meal. Perfectly charred Italian bread slathered with ricotta (and what seemed to be better than your run-of-the-mill stuff to boot) was topped with grilled asparagus and a healthy slab of burrata then drizzled with olive oil. As Leelebo mentioned - the char against the creaminess of the cheese worked very, very well. The second best burrata I have ever had (next to the inestimable offering at Dino.)

I also had the Local Asparagus Bruschetta ($9) with homemade ricotta and burrata cheese last week. The theme of my dinner was "Dunkel," and I'd hoped to make it through all three of Rustico's offerings: Eggenberg Spezial Dunkel ($7, 4.8%, 14 oz. draft), Weltenberger Barock Dunkel ($9, 4.7%, 16.9 oz. bottle), and Etaller Kloster Dunkel ($11, 5%, 16.9 oz. bottle), but (leitweight that I am), I only managed to enjoy the first two, though enjoy them I did.

As for the bruschetta, I liked it too, but I have some criticisms: It's too big (it's easily enough for two people); it's too rich (they shot the ricotta on through a fire hose, and (I'll be criticized for this) the skin of the burrata was just too thick); and the bread was charred to the point of being, well, charred. Don't get me wrong: I really enjoyed this bruschetta, but there's a good reason that it's served with a steak knife.

you guys should try the roasted beet salad with pistachio dust next time. By far the best beet salad I`ve had.

The Salad of Salt-Roasted Beet ($10) with goat cheese fondue, blood orange vinaigrette, and pistachio dust may not "the best" beet salad I've had (I've had a lot of beet salads), but it's on the podium. This was the showstopper, the highlight of my dinner, and as strange as the fondue aspect may sound, it managed to take a hackneyed combination - beets and goat cheese - and present it in a novel form while at the same time elevating it to the highest highs. I would travel cross-town just for this dish.

After the above two courses, I was right on the border of being stuffed, but I was there, didn't know when I'd return, and feared I might make a late-night bulgogi run if I didn't have something else small. I wish I'd stopped, however, because (I'm just going to come right out and say it) the Steak Tartare ($11) with red onion, capers, Dijon, and pasta chips was the worst rendition I've had in ages - it was dry, absolutely dominated by the acidity of the capers et al, and I really couldn't even tell I was eating beef. I suspect this was just an "off prep," and that Rustico usually does it better; regardless, as Meat Loaf said, "two out of three ain't bad."

Cheers,

Rocks

We finally went to Rustico. It was our first trip, and we met a friend for lunch. The fries were amazing, creamy soft on the inside, perfectly crispy on the outside. The arugula salad with watermelon was very nicely done, Mr. lperry enjoyed his brisket sandwich, and I split a roasted mushroom pizza with our friend. The pizza tasted delicious, and the only problem I had with it was that I literally poured the oil off it before I took a bite. (I know pizza isn't low fat - but that was a little much.)

As much as we liked the food, the service was not really great. The restaurant was fairly empty, but our waitress was less than attentive, spending quite a bit of time chatting with friends. The food was brought out, but she didn't check back so drinks didn't get refilled. Also, when we ordered the fries, Mr. lperry asked for ketchup, and the waitress argued with him about it. A simple, "OK, but how about I bring you the other sauces on the side so you can try them?" would have come across much better.

In sum, we enjoyed the food, and we hope that we just hit them on an off day for service.

We went to Rustico Tuesday night. It was crowded and loud but we were seated right away. My beer (Bell's Two Hearted Ale) came out flat and lukewarm. I sent it back and, while the replacement wasn't flat, it wasn't particularly cold. The softshell crab appetizer was good. My burger came out overcooked. My wife's pizza was so-so. The service was mediocre.

Rustico is one of our go-to dinners out. Everything just seemed a bit off. The attention to detail seemed to be missing. We may go back to see if this was a singular occurrence but it will be awhile.

We went to Rustico Tuesday night. It was crowded and loud but we were seated right away. My beer (Bell's Two Hearted Ale) came out flat and lukewarm. I sent it back and, while the replacement wasn't flat, it wasn't particularly cold. The softshell crab appetizer was good. My burger came out overcooked. My wife's pizza was so-so. The service was mediocre.

Rustico is one of our go-to dinners out. Everything just seemed a bit off. The attention to detail seemed to be missing. We may go back to see if this was a singular occurrence but it will be awhile.

We ate at the bar area last week before going to a performance. I thought the service was a bit off too, with our server being quite minamalistic in her interactions with us. She walked very quickly past our table and dropped off menus without a word, and well, it didn't lighten up much after that. Mr. MV remarked that the bar/lounge looked busy, and she offered that it wasn't the crowd, but a new computer system that had her running circles and trying to catch up.

The mussels with blue cheese and lardons were big, plump and fresh. They came with grilled bread for sopping up the plethora of juices. Very good.

We also had a "fried green tomato pizza" that came with grilled zucchin, fresh arugalai and fresh ricotta. Hold the pine nuts. Great seasonal 'za.

So, although the service could have been a bit more friendly and interactive, the food made us wonder why we hadn't been there in so long.

Went to Rustico last night. I tried to call to make a reservation for 7:00 pm and they told me that they didn't take reservations for that time, but that we could call ahead. They also didn't let me know (and perhaps they didn't know judging from words from our server) is that a big group of 60 was taking over the bar area, which made the wait for tables REALLY long.

Despite this we found a booth at the bar after some jossling and got drinks. Everyone but me ordered what seemed to be interesting beers that they enjoyed. I got a gin and tonic, my usual. Service was very good despite the swamped and I mean swamped bar.

I ordered the spinach salad and mushroom pizza with chickpea crust. The server quickly asked if I was allergic to wheat (I am sure the salad would have been edited accordingly had I said yes), which I thought was very thorough, although I am not allergic, just avoiding it. Started with the spinach salad which was very good with grilled ham, blue cheese, spinach and onion strings. I really liked this dish. I thought about ordering it with those mussels which looked very good, but I was craving pizza. The mushroom pizza was interesting. The chickpea crust was actually very good, not as good as real pizza crust, but good. The thing I was unsure about was the mushroom cream. I liked the mushrooms, goat cheese and spinach, but the mushroom cream just didn't add anything for me, especially with the crust being chickpea. My friend got hers with bacon which looked like a good addition, I should have done that, although again I don't know how that would have mixed with the cream sauce. I think if I continue to have to get the chickpea crust that tomato sauce pizzas might be better with it.

Anyway I can't wait for the Ballston location to open as there is a lot on the menu I wouldn't mind exploring.

I went to the Rustico Oktoberfest celebration on Saturday. They had a great selection of beers from around the US and from Germany, along with dishes from the various members of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group (Rustico included). I had a chance to talk to Rustico's Greg Engert and the folks from Buzz Bakery about the anticipated opening of branches of both Rustico and Buzz in Ballston.

It seems that the initial target date of October 25th to open both operations fell victim to construction delays and usual Arlington County inspection/permitting issues. Greg said that the new target date for Rustico was late November (hopefully before Thanksgiving). I also found out that they plan to have even more beers on tap than they have available at the Slater's Lane location, including three hand drawn Cask Ales in the rotation. This in addition to hundreds of beer brands available by the bottle.

The folks at the Buzz Bakery booth (love those Guinness cupcakes!) said they were hoping to open at Ballston sometime in mid December.

If they can keep to the new schedule, it looks like Christmas may come a little early to Ballston!

TSchaad

I went to the Rustico Oktoberfest celebration on Saturday. They had a great selection of beers from around the US and from Germany, along with dishes from the various members of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group (Rustico included). I had a chance to talk to Rustico's Greg Engert and the folks from Buzz Bakery about the anticipated opening of branches of both Rustico and Buzz in Ballston.

It seems that the initial target date of October 25th to open both operations fell victim to construction delays and usual Arlington County inspection/permitting issues. Greg said that the new target date for Rustico was late November (hopefully before Thanksgiving). I also found out that they plan to have even more beers on tap than they have available at the Slater's Lane location, including three hand drawn Cask Ales in the rotation. This in addition to hundreds of beer brands available by the bottle.

The folks at the Buzz Bakery booth (love those Guinness cupcakes!) said they were hoping to open at Ballston sometime in mid December.

If they can keep to the new schedule, it looks like Christmas may come a little early to Ballston!

TSchaad

Greg must be doing too much globetrotting to stay abreast of current events at Rustico, or is possibly gun shy from his long delays in getting the doors at ChurchKey opened. The target date for Rustico Ballston remains October 25. Initial training for the new staff (those that are new hires--not those transferring over from Rustico Alexandria) is at a fever pitch over on Slaters Lane. I have no idea about the status of Buzz.

Greg must be doing too much globetrotting to stay abreast of current events at Rustico, or is possibly gun shy from his long delays in getting the doors at ChurchKey opened. The target date for Rustico Ballston remains October 25. Initial training for the new staff (those that are new hires--not those transferring over from Rustico Alexandria) is at a fever pitch over on Slaters Lane. I have no idea about the status of Buzz.

Replying to my own post, Rustico Ballston ran a three day soft opening this weekend, and they say it will be open for business on Tuesday, October 26. Prosit!

Stopped in at lunch for a pizza and beer. Haven't been to the Alexandria location, so can't compare or comment there. It shares some real similarities with Fireworks Pizza down at the Courthouse metro - a amazing number of beers, with at least 30 drafts, less apparent outside dining. Pizza I had was good, but not quite as good as Fireworks and not nearly as good as Orzo. Staff was friendly, look forward based upon some of the posting above to trying some of the other food offerings. In many ways I see them as more of a competitor to Rock Bottom Brewery (more meeting place and/or beer hall than upper end pizza restaurant). RBB has a loyal following in the serious beer drinking, party people set and their Wednesday happy hour attracts large crowds. I think the bartender at Rustico said the Happy hour there is $2 off the beers which doesn't compare well with the $1.50 pints at RBB happy hour. I'll be interesting to see how it develops and shakes out. I'll be back.

So, TMFIII and I swung by last night to check it out.

The bar area was packed and loud as hell. We were told about 15 minutes for a table - I had just enough time to order a beer and our buzzer went off. Fortunately our table was much quieter.

They do a different crostini with dip every day - the one we had yesterday which I remember nothing about the ingredients was delicious.

For our entrees, Marshall beat me to ordering the pork shank. Therefore I deliberated quite a bit and decided on the duck. His pork shank appeared to be quite tasty given how quickly he ripped it to shreds and his consideration of taking the bone home for a midnight snack. I could go but I shan't.

The duck was killer. Thin slices of perfectly cooked duck over duck confit dirty rice. I've been craving duck for a few days and this fulfilled it perfectly.

Marshall had a dessert of chocolate puddin (that's how it showed up on the receipt, and I wish it'd been written that way on the menu. I had more beer, which might be why Marshall's girlfriend told me I smelled "beer-y" when I ran into her on the way to the Metro.

Speaking of beers, the draft selection was very nice, if, I felt, a bit on the pricey side. I didn't get a chance to look at the bottle menu. Comparing it as a beer drinking destination to Rock Bottom I think isn't overly accurate; RBB makes their own beers, and Rustico celebrates a number of different styles from all over the world.

Glad to have it around, though with $20-30 per entree, and the price on beers, you wouldn't see me hitting it as often as some other places.

Stopped in yesterday for a late lunch/snack. Had more people than I expected at 3:30. Bartender on duty was really nice forget his name made me a raspberry stoli. I had a spinach salad and fries. I love the dressing on the spinach salad. Virginia ham on it was good. I love their fries. It was a nice reprieve before making dinner for friends. If I drank beer this place would be a Mecca. But I have to say as a resident of that neighborhood it is really nice to have a nice neighborhood restaurant not quite as fancy as Willow but nicer than ted's. I am very excited to have it in the area. I think this will be Hubby's new game watching spot.

BALLSTON REVIEW:

I might not be the target audience and here's why: I don't love greasy food. My husband had a fantasticly yummy shrimp/spice pizza. It was really, really wonderful but tasted oily and left a nice oil spill on the pan. I had a fabulously tasty duck salad that GOT Better As I Ate It! I don't know what physics was involved with that, but I liked it a lot. Trouble, it was oily too! So, even though I loved the taste of the food, loved the service, loved the location and decor, I'm not sure I"ll be back.

Now, if you love beer and don't mind a little grease, this is a wonderful place for you. I love the little 4oz tasters of beer. Perfect (for some).

BALLSTON REVIEW:

I might not be the target audience and here's why: I don't love greasy food. My husband had a fantasticly yummy shrimp/spice pizza. It was really, really wonderful but tasted oily and left a nice oil spill on the pan. I had a fabulously tasty duck salad that GOT Better As I Ate It! I don't know what physics was involved with that, but I liked it a lot. Trouble, it was oily too! So, even though I loved the taste of the food, loved the service, loved the location and decor, I'm not sure I"ll be back.

Now, if you love beer and don't mind a little grease, this is a wonderful place for you. I love the little 4oz tasters of beer. Perfect (for some).

Think of it as not grease, but TASTE! :)

I had a fabulously tasty duck salad that GOT Better As I Ate It! I don't know what physics was involved with that, but I liked it a lot. Trouble, it was oily too!

I had the Duck Salad at Ballston last week and really enjoyed it. I did not notice it being especially oily, but I did think that the dish was a little out of balance. I know that many folks would argue that "more meat is better," but I thought the meat/salad ratio tilted a little too far to the duck. I would have gladly sacrificed a bit of the duck for more of the rest of the salad ingredients. Also, I thought the big deep bowl in which it was served made eating this dish somewhat awkward. These are but minor quibbles, however, and I would definitely order this again after having the opportunity to try out a few of the other items on the menu.

Was back again, this time had a basic cheeseburger. I won't repeat my original assessment, only say this time around it'd be pretty much the same. Great selection of beers, looked pretty busy, the burger was on a scale of 1-10, maybe a 6 or 7. Rays Hellburger is a 9-10, the burger place over by the Italian Store maybe a solid 7, Best Buns burgers (also in Ballston) comparable or a step better. About the same as Teds or RBB. Just trying to give some reference points. Understand they're new, but usually the things that improve as the staff settles in is the service, food sometimes, but not as much. It should do well and I'll go again. FWIW.

I haven't been to Rustico/Arlington yet, but this has certainly piqued my interest. It looks freakin' awesome (don't know what the grease quotient might be though).

Hmm. I'm intrigued by your calorie-laden flavor bomb and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. What if I roll in there about 10:00 tonight? Does anyone know what time their kitchen closes (either location)? I don't see hours posted on their web site...