Eamonn's, A Dublin Chipper in Old Town - By The Owners Of Restaurant Eve - Closed Jul 27, 2019

I looked in the window this afternoon and there was a flurry of activity. I saw Todd in there with a different sort of work attire, with a whole bunch of others working on getting things set up. And, I already have my special cards for gaining admittance to the PX.

Yo! Any word on when the Chipper is opening? I've been dying for some fried fish all Summer long and I'm trying to wait for the Chipper, but I don't know how much longer I can wait!!

And the menu is in! Cod, "Ray" (presumably skate), batter burgers, batter sausages, Mars bars, dough balls, a bunch of sauces, a couple of sides. Prices better than reasonable and the appropriate amount of cheek (not veal cheeks, though deep fried veal cheeks might not be so bad............)

The cod is delicious and the place was packed. I thought our large serving looked more like a small in terms of portion, though a reasonable size for only $7. It was a beautiful piece of fish, lightly battered, and cooked perfectly to just shy of medium. We look forward to returning when ABC comes through the upstairs is open for business. Congrats to the Armstrongs et al!

I will generally agree with the other posts. They seem to have the Dublin chipper thing down pat, in terms of the food. The only thing needed to complete the package is for ABC to authorize use of that beer tap next to the cash register. And I can't wait for the PX to open. That is going to be a really nice space up there. (Wireless access???)

Here is a pic of the battered Milky Way bar (with Al Dente's sleeve in the background):

post-43-1156214182_thumb.jpg

Congratulations to Cathal and Meshelle and Todd and Dustin on the opening.

Thanks be to Cod indeed! While it's tough to beat a shot of a deep-fried Milky Way, these slighty blurry photos should give you some idea of how the new place looks:

A picture window of Rockwellians: post-241-1156215072_thumb.jpg Cathal and Dustin: post-241-1156215110_thumb.jpg

post-241-1156215124_thumb.jpg and the party winds down. . .

Congratulations to everyone for a great 'quiet' opening and a special thanks to Cathal for doing all the cooking himself and to Todd for the 'lemonade' :)

a lovely addition to the casual dining scene in Alexandria - fish and chips were very nice - we tried the cod and the ray - liked the dipping sauces, esp the curry and the chesapeake....the onion rings need a little work though....but I'm sure they'll fix that soon enough

nice to see all the Irish chocolate, tea bags, biscuits etc and a fridge full of Club Orange and Rock Shandy!!!!!

and triple extra bonus points for the great music being played.....The The and U2 to name but a few - made for a very pleasant soundtrack to the meal

nice also to put a few more faces to names....

Chips & curry...only a slight second place to the deep fried Milky Way. The Irish lemon soda was probably the only item that needed an acquired taste. Unfortunately, I was looking up at the menu board throughout the ordering process instead of looking at the baskets below the counter. If I had looked, there would have been a bag of Taytos to accompany the cod, chips and candy that came from the frier.

Ugh, the bridesmaid's dress will never fit in November!

Eammon's, thanks be to cod, is off to a smashing start! Sure, 'if it's fancy yis want go to Restaurant Eve', but this place is going to rock and roll. The space is beautiful - sparkling chandeliers, gorgeous dark woodwork, mirrors, etched and stained glass all around. It was supposed to be a very soft opening, so the staff are still learning the routines, and Chef Armstrong was all alone at the fryers and no doubt in the weeds as the curious were just walking in off the street and lining up for orders. Orders are taken and paid for at the counter and the brown paper sacks of fish and chips are brought to the table. I really enjoyed my cod - I prefer mine with a very healthy dose of malt vinegar (on the table) as well as extra salt rather than the sauces so I saved the sauces for the chips and the nice onion rings. Yum!

I left before the second round - the "batter burghers" (I always thought a burgher was someone who lived in a burgh, not something one fried in batter :) ) but I shared a small bit of fried Milky Way bar (yikes, talk about the three major food groups - sugar, grease and salt!)

Hearty congratulations to the Armstrongs and their staff on all their hard work bringing baby Eammon's into the world for us to enjoy.

[for the record: 92.6 miles round trip, two states, one federal district, and two bridges. Piece of cake.]

The batter burgher is what I want to try! Can someone describe it in more detail? Do you eat it with your hands? Does it come with sauces?
While I did not have it, expect fried batter instead of a bun. I would hold it by the paper wrapper to dip in the sauce and eat. They have 7 different sauces to choose from. I like the hot chili which is similar to the sauce that comes with the fried calamari at Eve. The "Marie Rose" sauce is similar to a remoulade.

This place sounds great. Does anyone know if it will take reservations?
I think you can rent out the PX for private parties, to the extent that constitutes a "reservation."

Really, it is just a counter where you place your order, they send it back to the kitchen, someone brings your food out in a brown paper bag and yells your name. They do have some plastic forks for the cole slaw. You bus your own table.

I think you can rent out the PX for private parties, to the extent that constitutes a "reservation."

Really, it is just a counter where you place your order, they send it back to the kitchen, someone brings your food out in a brown paper bag and yells your name. They do have some plastic forks for the cole slaw. You bus your own table.

Just like any fish and chips place. They cook, you eat, you clean up....not nice to leave spilled salt or vinegar on the table when you leave...

Congratulations indeed!!!

Loved the laid back, yet somehow also familiar design of the place. Very friendly staff (although they might get tired of explaining the different sauces to each person who walks in....but they did it with a smile).

Thanks be to Cod! It was impecably fresh, and wasn't too heavily battered or fried. The chips were perhaps the best I've had in recent memory, both crispy and tender on the insides, and went perfectly with both the curry and chili sauces. Delicious.

However, I was still curious and decided to go with a Round 2 with the menu: batter sausage and a deep fried snickers. The batter sausage was incredible, delightfully thin, crispy exterior hiding a moist and delicious sausage. i dont really know how else to explain it. if you are a fan of sausages, just get one(or two).

Does anyone know if they make the sausage on site?

The deep fried snickers blew away my expectations. So simply, so tasty....so knowingly terrible for you. But I'll be back for more. The sprinkled sugar coating was a great addition to it.

I can't wait to go back and wash all the great food down with some pints!

Aye, yer shir leerite.

Really? Always seems to me that when they are posting on food news they are just regurgitating what someone has already posted on this site and it doesn't seem that hard to believe that someone might mistakenly label this site a blog.

How much fish do you get with your order?

To be honest, I was just a little bit disappointed in the somewhat smallish piece of cod I received (though this could be because it tasted so good and I just wanted more). Though its been some time since I crossed the Atlantic for fish and chips, I seem to recall newspaper-bursting amounts of fish with my orders. Of course, I was probably paying $30 for those orders...

To be honest, I was just a little bit disappointed in the somewhat smallish piece of cod I received (though this could be because it tasted so good and I just wanted more). Though its been some time since I crossed the Atlantic for fish and chips, I seem to recall newspaper-bursting amounts of fish with my orders. Of course, I was probably paying $30 for those orders...

I would agree, but if you order the batter sausage in addition to the cod, you will leave feeling satiated.

Eamonns is opened officially today, August 24. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were testing days. The fish and chips are excellent. The room seats about 20. Upstairs not open yet but beginning to take excellent shape.

Cathel and Meshelle have done another excellent job and have created a much needed, inexpensive place for Old Town.

Eamonns is opened officially today, August 24. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were testing days. The fish and chips are excellent. The room seats about 20. Upstairs not open yet but beginning to take excellent shape.

Cathel and Meshelle have done another excellent job and have created a much needed, inexpensive place for Old Town.

Christopher, welcome to DR.com.

We were sooo looking forward to eating there last night, but I think we hit in the middle of the dinner rush, and after one look at the stack of people waiting for food, our friends knew that they were too hungry to wait that long. Bummer! Can't wait until we can get there...again! For real! I know that this is all part of the opening-week shuffle and that it will all be better soon :)

This is a fun place. The cod was excellent - very fresh and well battered and the various sauces made for good tastes. Try the "Fronch" with the chips - you won't be disappointed.

I have to admit that the Batter Burgher was a little strange, but worth a try. I bet the beef they use would make a good straight up burger though.

And you haven't experienced sweet and gooey until you've had a fried Milky Way with molten nougat running down your chin. And I mean that in the best way possible.

Thanks to Todd for taking jenrus and me on a tour of the PX. This is going to be a really sophisticated spot for cocktails. You can have your clubs with beds or couches hanging from ceilings. Next time I'm out for an evening in Old Town, I'll take a spot on the antique blue velvet couch and pretend I'm in some 1930's black and white movie, thank you.