Kapnos, Kapnos Taverna, and Kapnos Kouzina - Greek in Multiple Area Locations - Closed

I really wish he would sell off Kapnos, I really appreciated all the vegetarian options, and I liked the roast meats, it was a great compromise when dining out with picky eaters.  I wish a judge could order that the company went to "the ladies" and they would just rock it.  I know that isn't what happens, but what a loss for all the employees of all these places and the people under him who weren't apart of all this.  Haven't seen anything on all the stuff in the Liberty building in Ballston, but if one goes, assume they will all go, although I believe it is two leases (maybe three separate, but I think he did one for two places, and the other for one).

• Like 1

Just now, dracisk said:

Samos is around the corner. I only went once a long time ago, but I believe it's also highly regarded. I need to get back there or try Ikaros!

Over the decades there have been other excellent or superior Greek restaurants....but there wasn't anything comparable for maybe the first 20 years at least imho.

On 8/24/2018 at 2:10 PM, ktmoomau said:

I really wish he would sell off Kapnos, I really appreciated all the vegetarian options, and I liked the roast meats, it was a great compromise when dining out with picky eaters.  I wish a judge could order that the company went to "the ladies" and they would just rock it.  I know that isn't what happens, but what a loss for all the employees of all these places and the people under him who weren't apart of all this.  Haven't seen anything on all the stuff in the Liberty building in Ballston, but if one goes, assume they will all go, although I believe it is two leases (maybe three separate, but I think he did one for two places, and the other for one).

Agreed. I really liked Kapnos, and appreciated having it in Arlington when other good restaurants have closed (ah, Willow). Went to Kapnos numerous times with lots of people, but can't bring myself to go anymore.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2018 at 12:27 PM, Kev29 said:

Bethesdans are a little slow on the uptake -- Kapnos Kouzina is still crowded when I walk by there in the evening. Even in dead-ass August. 

Ha...

"Celebrity Chef Mike Isabella Declares Bankruptcy in Wake of Sexual Harassment Lawsuit" by Tim Carman and Maura Judkis on washingtonpost.com

Both Kapnos Kouzina in Bethesda, Md., and Requin at the Wharf in the District are not part of the bankruptcy proceedings. Isabella said the restaurants are “the anchors to keep us afloat. 

4 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

The bad press did it. I am contemplating what I should do and blame bad press...Seems like a very fall 2018 thing to do.

Wait for the forced sale in bankruptcy and start going again? Also recommend a good Twitter tirade.  Hold your rattle in one hand and just pound away on that phone with the other.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:29 AM, Kev29 said:

Ha...

"Celebrity Chef Mike Isabella Declares Bankruptcy in Wake of Sexual Harassment Lawsuit" by Tim Carman and Maura Judkis on washingtonpost.com

Some say the fish rots and smells from the head down. Not a surprise for the financial/legal maneuver. That restaurant group will do what it can to salvage its losses I am sure. But honestly, if I was an investor, I'd have the guy at the center of the bad press removed. 

13 hours ago, zgast said:

Wait for the forced sale in bankruptcy and start going again? Also recommend a good Twitter tirade.  Hold your rattle in one hand and just pound away on that phone with the other.

totally considered a Twitter tirade last night about institutional misogyny and then realized that I very much enjoy my professional reputation as it stands now. 

• Like 3

From today’s Washington Post article:

“Two restaurants, Kapnos Kouzina in Bethesda, Md., and Requin at the Wharf in the District, were not part of either bankruptcy filing, and it is unclear how they will be affected.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/12/13/mike-isabellas-company-is-going-out-of-business-seven-months-after-sexual-harassment-lawsuit/

4 hours ago, cheezepowder said:

All Kapnos locations except at National Airport have closed and may reopen under a new name (see Washington City Paper).

I had lunch today at Our Mom Eugenia, and thought how much better (and less expensive) their spreads were than the ones from Kapnos, even on their best day ever - the meal itself wasn't perfect, but the spreads were leagues above what Kapnos could ever hope to achieve.

4 hours ago, Kev29 said:

At this point, eating at National Airport is like a visit to DC's culinary graveyard

Hey, hey now, don't you say anything bad about my beloved Bao Bar.  They could take over some Taylor Gourmet spots that have died and I would be happy.

• Like 3