BLT Steak, a New York-Based, Upscale Steakhouse Chain on 16th and I Street - the Current Chef is Michael Bonk

I recently signed up for a premium channel package on Verizon FiOS, and one of the channels is Recipe.tv. To my surprise, it only offers some recipes from a few chefs in a few locations in southern California and Hawaii. One of them is BLT Steak in Los Angeles, which might now be closed (based on a quick Google search). The dish that was featured, and I'm not making this up, was a New York Strip, cooked for eight minutes at high temperature, served with a garnish of cress....absolutely zero technique, not even an interesting side or sauce, or an interesting sliced presentation, nothing.

I had dinner at BLT Steak tonight for the first time in quite awhile. I got my "usual" bar order (if solo diners get a Hanger Steak ($30)), they still get BLT service (which is outstanding), the cheese puff (which is enormous), and the chicken liver (which is excellent)). It may sound silly, but one of my personal hallmarks for measuring steakhouses is ordering a Baked Potato ($10 with all the trimmings), and I've never had a bad one at BLT Steak; at Capital Grille, for example, I've had them when they've clearly been baked long before - they had turned brown just underneath the skin which is a dead giveaway, and they were mushy which is also a common symptom (but mushiness could also be an overripe potato; though in this case, it was just pre-cooked). Obviously, they *must* pre-cook baked potatoes, and play a guessing game as to how many to bake, and when, but tonight BLT Steak guessed right, at least in my case, just as they have every time - perhaps they mash the ones which have turned brown (which would be a perfectly acceptable use of them).

While there were a couple of tiny nitpicks (the cheese puff was perfect, except it was a little doughy in the middle - with the size of this thing, it must be nearly impossible to get right all the way through), and the steak was *maybe* an ounce less, and perhaps a couple dollars more, than it used to be. But all-in, this was probably the first meal in my last three here that makes me want to return.

Raised back to Italic in the Dining Guide.

And tomorrow for lunch, I have half of an Earl's Sandwich "Brie on Sourdough (light mayo only)" - a March special - and three slices of leftover BLT Hanger Steak which I will insert into the sandwich, and have the world's finest Steak & Cheese. Yum - 9.5 hours and counting.

Based on the two visits I've had to BLT Steak since Will has been in the kitchen, I strongly recommend that everyone

1) Plan to go before July 1

2) Save up some money

3) Order everything on the blackboard menu (Will's specials)

4) Order the wagyu

• Like 2

On 6/3/2015 at 8:35 AM, DonRocks said:

Will Artley's final day at BLT Steak is July 1.

The current chef at BLT Steak is Marc Hennessy, who has worked with ESquared Hospitality for quite awhile. There were some announcements about Marc last November, but I'm not sure who was running the kitchen between Jul 1 - Nov 1, 2015.

Screenshot 2016-08-13 at 18.20.52.png

On 8/13/2016 at 6:22 PM, DonRocks said:

The current chef at BLT Steak is Marc Hennessy, who has worked with ESquared Hospitality for quite awhile. There were some announcements about Marc last November, but I'm not sure who was running the kitchen between Jul 1 - Nov 1, 2015.

Screenshot 2016-08-13 at 18.20.52.png

In Aug, 2016, Jorge Chicas replaced Marc Hennessy as Chef de Cuisine - Hennessy moved over to BLT Prime in the Trump Hotel.

Screenshot 2018-05-20 at 13.22.09.png

In Jul, 2017, Michael Bonk replaced Jorge Chicas as Chef de Cuisine - Chicas moved over to Hummingbird in Alexandria.

Screenshot 2018-05-20 at 13.19.08.png