Founders Brewing Rí¼bí¦us - Grand Rapids, MI

PappyVanWise

We're heading back to Grand Rapids, Michigan for Founders summer fruit beer.  Here we have a straight up Raspberry Ale, similar to their Blushing Monk limited release from 2011 but with almost half the alcohol content.  Now in the Festina Peche postings, I decried the not quite fruit not quite beer flavor of the offering, here we have all fruit.  In fact, I dare say this is what it would taste like if you dumped Crystal Light powder into a High Life...but...it's still good!

Now I think this might be the most debated beer we've featured, if everyone tries it.  Some people will say this is as much beer as sangria is wine, but I disagree.  Founders wanted to make a Raspberry Ale, and that's what they did.  The sweet, tart raspberry flavor is finished with the maltiness you'd expect from beer, and I think it works perfectly.

From the Founders website:

"Not another boring summer wheat beer or lemonade shandy"”Rí¼bí¦us is Founders' way to celebrate the season's warmest months. Optimizing the flavor of fresh raspberries added at multiple stages during fermentation,
this stunning berry red masterpiece is the perfect balance of sweet and tart. No question about it, with a hefty malt bill and 5.7% ABV, this beer is 100% Founders."

Personally, if I want a fruit beer, this is where I'm going.  Mostly fruit with a beer kick at the end, but I can definitely see where this offering will have detractors.

Keep in mind, it is a Founders limited offering which mean you can expect to pay $15+ for a 4 pack.  Think about splitting one with friends if you want to try it, but don't think a fruit beer is going to be your thing.

Enjoy,

Eric

• Like 1

I do not profess that I have a sophisticated palate, but all I got out of this was raspberry soda without the added sweetness of high fructose corn syrup.  I was not tasting/feeling the maltiness so much.  Not terrible, just not what I was hoping for.  At the price point (I paid $14 for one four pack, and $12.50 for another), I think I will pass next time around.

Was was able to buy a single of this from the Whole Foods in Arlington (They have a new singles selection that's worth checking out-- wish more places would do this).  Most fruit beers don't have a particularly strong fruit flavor to them, but just as Founder's Cerise has a *huge* cherry flavor to it, this beer tastes very strongly of raspberries.  It doesn't really taste much like beer, though, but is still good in its own way.  Ultimately, it's just too sweet for me. I couldn't manage to finish the bottle.   

This has been a go-to fruit beer of the summer (which means I've had it 2-3 times, not really a fruit beer guy for the most part). I've been very impressed with it really. Slightly tart, very nice fruit, crisp and fairly easy to drink. Yes, its a bit sweeter than I like (though compared to the Southern Tier Creme Brulee I've been drinking since it recently came out its not bad at all...), but still a very nice summer beer.

• Like 1

Was was able to buy a single of this from the Whole Foods in Arlington (They have a new singles selection that's worth checking out-- wish more places would do this).  Most fruit beers don't have a particularly strong fruit flavor to them, but just as Founder's Cerise has a *huge* cherry flavor to it, this beer tastes very strongly of raspberries.  It doesn't really taste much like beer, though, but is still good in its own way.  Ultimately, it's just too sweet for me. I couldn't manage to finish the bottle.   

The Van Ness Whole Foods has a similar singles section.  You can fill a six-pack with a mix-and-match of beer and then they charge you whatever the combined price of your singles total.  Nice way to sample stuff.

This did not do it for me.  The raspberry is there but I also sense a medicinal quality that is off-putting.  It's also too syrupy for me.  I've had the New Glarus raspberry offering before which I remember to be cleaner with a more genuine raspberry flavor, so maybe I'm spoiled by that.

• Like 1

This did not do it for me.  The raspberry is there but I also sense a medicinal quality that is off-putting.  It's also too syrupy for me.  I've had the New Glarus raspberry offering before which I remember to be cleaner with a more genuine raspberry flavor, so maybe I'm spoiled by that.

I agree 100%.  This had a medicinal quality for me as well.  Didn't do it for me.