Matchbox, a DC-Based American Chain Employing an Aggressive National Expansion - Now Controlled by Thompson Hospitality

Matchbox in Rockville is less than half a mile from Mama Lucia's (Federal Plaza), which has MUCH better pizza at a lower price point. Nearly across the street from Mama Lucia (1 block east of the Pike) is Urban BBQ, which makes a burger better than Matchbox.

Sorry, just don't get the love for this place. Some mini-burgers, a shared salad, a couple of large pies (that's a large?!?!), soft drinks, plus tax/tip was just a few bucks shy of $100 for me, the wife and kids a few weeks back, and I can't say that we left completely full. The food was fine, but nothing special, and no bargain at that price. I can't imagine waiting on line for this - reminds me of the waits at Cheesecake Factory down the street.

The same meal at Mama Lucia's was $30 less, and I took home nearly a whole pie in leftovers, enough for me and the kids for lunch the next day.

A work errand brought me to Rockville at 6 PM, and rather than fight traffic cross-county I decided to wait it out & have dinner at Matchbox.

Finally, a "veggie" pizza that isn't limp & insipid. Roasted garlic, roasted poblanos, onions, mushrooms, fresh herbs & mozzerella came together beautifully, and the the clever garnish of tiny, paper-thin potato crisps added crunch and visual interest. Crust was flavorful, crisp and nicely charred in a few spots. I would order this again in a heartbeat.

I'm not a beer drinker, usually, but the pizza & my long day seemed to call for one. The very nice & patient bartender poured me sips of almost all of their drafts until we found one that I thought would go with my dinner. He was attentive & personable despite the crush.

The place was packed (on a Monday!) with quite a few people waiting for tables. Congrats to them - they might have broken the curse of that location.

Matchbox in Rockville is less than half a mile from Mama Lucia's (Federal Plaza), which has MUCH better pizza at a lower price point. Nearly across the street from Mama Lucia (1 block east of the Pike) is Urban BBQ, which makes a burger better than Matchbox.

Sorry, just don't get the love for this place. Some mini-burgers, a shared salad, a couple of large pies (that's a large?!?!), soft drinks, plus tax/tip was just a few bucks shy of $100 for me, the wife and kids a few weeks back, and I can't say that we left completely full. The food was fine, but nothing special, and no bargain at that price. I can't imagine waiting on line for this - reminds me of the waits at Cheesecake Factory down the street.

The same meal at Mama Lucia's was $30 less, and I took home nearly a whole pie in leftovers, enough for me and the kids for lunch the next day.

Only been once with my wife. My recollection is the same as yours but my wife suggested that we go there. I personally wouldn't drive to Rockville for pizza or burger but my wife has a way of persuading me.

The attraction of Matchbox in Rockville for me? Best beer selection in the area (not hard to accomplish). And the outdoor bar seating (when the heat index is below 105 :mellow: ). I refuse to wait for tables pretty much anywhere I go, so I'm not up for that at Matchbox. But I can almost always find a seat at one of the bars - and the bartender service has been disappointing on a couple occasions, but excellent more often than not. Sure Mama Lucia offers a nice pie for the money, but you lose the bar amenities.

The attraction of Matchbox in Rockville for me? Best beer selection in the area

OK, I hadn't looked at the beer list on my one visit, so this is a fair point. The beer/wine list at ML's is pitiful, there's no bar, though they do have a pleasant outside patio.

I wouldn't compare the quality of the pizzas at Matchbox with Mamma Lucia, at any of their locations. It's a different style, using (IMO) better ingredients.

I didn't have the veggie, so I can't compare to the pizza you enjoyed. But the Matchbox spicy meatball had bland crust and meatballs - the only flavor came from the hot stuff. The chicken pesto was similarly bland. I agree the style is different, and there is room in the market for artisinal pizza as well as NY-style (I frequently dine at Mia's, which is more comparable to Matchbox but IMHO much better). But if I'm going to pay a premium price, I want premium taste, and even at the same price I'd choose Mama Lucia's every time right now.

Matchbox on Capitol Hill. Since I discovered that I could order onion strings as a side, I seem to be unable to go there without ordering them. I dump them by the handful onto my pizza (in this case--and usually--spicy meatball).

I still adore the miniburgers at the Chinatown Matchbox, but I will say that on this visit, the pizzas AND the service were severely lacking (pizzas were pretty bland and service was slow and a bit awkward). I suspect that we hit them during an unexpected kitchen backup (we were there on the later end of a Friday lunch), which could explain both problems. The chocolate chip banana bread pudding at the end of the meal lifted my spirits, though - I have no idea why I crave that doggone dessert like I do, but there, I said it. We sent our cohorts to Matchbox for brunch on Sunday, and they really enjoyed it.

What is the appeal? Can someone please enlighten me...

I've gone to the newish Matchbox on 14th Street three times in the last 10 days, hoping I might get why it's so popular, hoping it might be a good addition to my neighborhood. Fun space, great service every time, different parts of the restaurant each time -- bar, upstairs and pizza bar. The pizza is so very unremarkable. How is it possible that such a thin crust (ordered extra crispy), thrust into a wood-burning oven, is so limp and flavorless? The burger, also unremarkable. The rib eye and cheese sandwich, morsels of overcooked beef engulfed in monster bread.

Yet the place is packed, constantly. This just fuels my ongoing fear that the Logan-to-14&U corridor will become another bar-driven Adams Morgan... And that the gems in the neighborhood will be squeezed out by the regrettable. :(

[Pls disregard this post - can't figure out how to delete it, posted twice by accident...]

I've gone to the newish Matchbox on 14th Street three times in the last 10 days, with different people each time, hoping I might get why it's so popular, hoping it might be a good addition to my neighborhood. Fun space, great service every time, different parts of the restaurant each time -- bar, upstairs and pizza bar. The pizza is so very unremarkable. How is it possible that such a thin crust (ordered extra crispy), thrust into a wood-burning oven, is so limp and flavorless? The burger, also unremarkable. The rib eye and cheese sandwich, morsels of overcooked beef engulfed in monster bread.

Yet the place is packed, constantly. This just fuels my ongoing fear that the Logan-to-14&U corridor will become another bar-driven Adams Morgan... And that the gems in the neighborhood will be squeezed out by the regrettable. :(

• Like 1

Fun space, great service every time

I think you answered your own question. That's really all you need to attract people. And you could probably take out the great service and still be popular.

I'm usually not a huge Matchbox fan but the 14th street location was just what was needed yesterday afternoon. At 4:30 on a Sunday the options were limited and Bar Pilar was too loud. I'm also not a miniburger fan in general because it's hard to find them cooked to the perfect medium rare. The three I had yesterday were about as close to medium rare as a miniburger can get: juicy with good flavor. The only imperfection was there was not enough cheese for my taste but I'm a cheesy kind of gal. Another pleasant surprise was that we ordered six miniburgers, one without a specific type of cheese, and the burgers came out as requested. The girly cocktail also helped raise expectations. I don't know that I would rush back with all of the other options on 14th but given a similar situation I won't reject Matchbox the first time around.

I was googling the Mosaic District to see what's open now and saw on the Mosaic District's Facebook page that Matchbox is opening there on April 12 (dinner only to start). That'll bring them up to 6 total locations (which includes the random one in Palm Springs CA).

I had read a while ago that Matchbox was also thinking of finding a spot around Clarendon. I wonder if that's still the case.

I was googling the Mosaic District to see what's open now and saw on the Mosaic District's Facebook page that Matchbox is opening there on April 12 (dinner only to start). That'll bring them up to 6 total locations (which includes the random one in Palm Springs CA).

I had read a while ago that Matchbox was also thinking of finding a spot around Clarendon. I wonder if that's still the case.

I feel like that old timer who actually remembers why that 30-year-old real estate development is called "Jackson's Farm."

• Like 1

We have no plans on Clarendon (or the surrounding area) at this time. We are stoked about being in Mosaic on the 12th!!

• Like 1

Matchbox announced today that they will offer temporary jobs to employees of Frager's Hardware. Many of the matchbox restaurants are a few blocks from Frager's, which burned down last night.

Matchbox's actions show why The Hill is a special, unique community.

• Like 3

I have had several quick meals at Matchbox Mosaic over the last few months. It has now supplanted every GAR restaurant as the place I'll go for a casual meal with family and friends in and around Fairfax. Everything I've had has been solid, and I particularly enjoy the proscuitto, fig, and arugula pizza

I have had several quick meals at Matchbox Mosaic over the last few months. It has now supplanted every GAR restaurant as the place I'll go for a casual meal with family and friends in and around Fairfax. Everything I've had has been solid, and I particularly enjoy the proscuitto, fig, and arugula pizza

I'll second this. We have had just one meal so far at the Mosaic Matchbox (including that wonderful pizza) and I would say it's the perfect choice for groups that include anyone from fearful eaters to adventurous types. The room is very pleasant and the service was really good too.

I'll second this. We have had just one meal so far at the Mosaic Matchbox (including that wonderful pizza) and I would say it's the perfect choice for groups that include anyone from fearful eaters to adventurous types. The room is very pleasant and the service was really good too.

I, too, have had one meal at the Mosaic Matchbox, and found it to be very good. That said, Ovvio Osteria is the King of Merrifield, and it's not even close.

• Like 1

Is anyone else in this boat? I like Matchbox's beer selection, the sliders and the onion straws on top of the sliders, but truly that's all that gets me back. The pizzas I've had range from "meh" to not good. The curry chicken salad sandwich is OK, but I don't crave it. The other sandwiches are lamb/beef meatbombs. For my eating habits, I'd prefer a selection of chicken or turkey sandwiches, but that's just me. The menu hasn't changed much, if at all, since the Mosaic branch opened. Do they tend to mix the menu up occasionally in the other locations?

I agree that the beer and mini-burgers are usually are reasons for visiting Matchbox (well, that and the fact that Jason and I had one of our first few dates there, so it's always fun and nostalgic for us).  I only order pizza if I am really hungry, but I usually enjoy it.  I do really like a couple of their salads - the chopped salad with the little pasta ringlets in particular is a frequent favorite.

From my Twitter feed, it seems like the 14th Street location does a lot of interesting specials - but we always go to the Chinatown location.

• Like 1

I like the beer, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the onion things. I like some of the pizzas and some of the salads.

I dislike the noise level (Chinatown and 8th St). I dislike the waits. I HATE the reservation policy. Oh, and we have not been to 14th Street, despite it being not too far from us, because of the noise levels and the inability to make reservations.

We would go a lot more often if it were a bit quieter, and if we could make reservations.

Is anyone else in this boat? I like Matchbox's beer selection, the sliders and the onion straws on top of the sliders, but truly that's all that gets me back. The pizzas I've had range from "meh" to not good. The curry chicken salad sandwich is OK, but I don't crave it. The other sandwiches are lamb/beef meatbombs. For my eating habits, I'd prefer a selection of chicken or turkey sandwiches, but that's just me. The menu hasn't changed much, if at all, since the Mosaic branch opened. Do they tend to mix the menu up occasionally in the other locations?

Dr. Xmus - You'll be seeing menu changes very shortly at all the matchbox outposts.  We've committed to 2 menu changes a year as a general rule of thumb.  Our Executive Chef in Merrifield, Daniel Watterson, is as antsy about the first menu change in Merrifield since we opened in April as you are (he inherited the opening menu).  With stops at The Inn at Little Washington and The Ashby Inn on his resume, Daniel's food is simple, rustic and consistently delicious.  I'll let you know when the changes go into effect.

• Like 3

After spending some time at the Playseum on Barracks Row with the little dude on a rainy Saturday, we ran a couple buildings over to Matchbox for lunch.

My first impression of the space was that I felt like I just walked into a chain restaurant in the suburbs (which I guess is kind of what Matchbox has become).  Service was nice, if nondescript. (That's a good thing in my book.)

They were kind enough to bring over a kid's menu and crayons, but I ended up sharing food with E from the main menu.  We had a chopped salad and the "oven dried tomato and fresh mozzarella" pizza.  I was looking forward to the spicy meatball, but figured I'd play it safe with the 2-year old.  Everything was fine...but I really missed the pizza from our standard weekend pizzeria, Menomale.

The place was slammed, so people clearly like what they're putting out.  While I can't poke any big holes in the product, I can't really say that it is worth choosing over better pies at Menomale (or Ghibelline or Etto if we feel like venturing across North Capitol).

I can't decide if I'm crazy for thinking this, but doesn't it seem logical that a pizza place would have some sort of child's size pizza on their children's menu?  They had the standard mac and cheese, chicken fingers, etc....but no pizza.  Odd, I think.  Then again, Menomale doesn't have a kid's menu and we are regular customers there...

For me, Matchbox serves the purpose of going to a nice place, where the food is decent to good, reliable, and not too expensive...plus they usually have a good beer selection.  The kind of a place to go with non-foodie types or out-of-town guests where you don't have to think too hard.

For example, I have a high school friend who lives in small town Pennsylvania who comes down to DC for concerts once or twice a year and we usually meet up for dinner before the show. The first couple of times he came down I tried hipper trendier places, such as Bar Pilar, and it was obvious he wasn't digging it.  Last time we got together we hit up the 14th Street Matchbox before going to the 9:30 Club, had a couple of beers and a couple of pizzas, and it worked out great.  I did take him to Cafe St. Ex for a post-Match Box pre-9:30 Club beer...so he did get some hipster in.

We also go to the Hill Matchbox with friends who have three kids.  They know what they like on the menu and what their kids will eat.  Again, we don't have to think too hard and can still have a fun meal.

That's the niche Matchbox fills and it does it well.      

• Like 3

We've now tried two Matchboxes -- Mosaic District and Chinatown -- with the kids. Both were successful meals. An order of the sliders is always a must for us, then there is enough variety for everyone to be happy, and the food is well-prepared. Good libations too!

This news is not at all surprising to me, or any number of friends who also worked for the group in the last few years.

"Could Matchbox Become The Next Cheesecake Factory?" by Nevin Martell on washingtonpost.com

Have to really applaud what these guys have achieved. I've only been in a Matchbox once or twice and tend to avoid big chains since they often run counter to quality. But that's not always true and wish them well. It is pretty cool to see so many nationalizing restaurant groups launching here. Really reflects on the wholly transformed area DC has become...in mostly very good ways.

This news is not at all surprising to me, or any number of friends who also worked for the group in the last few years.

"Could Matchbox Become The Next Cheesecake Factory?" by Nevin Martell on washingtonpost.com

A couple weeks ago, I had dinner at Ted's Bulletin, and simply could not believe the meal I had. 'Is *this* what people are going out to eat for?' I asked myself. And, I suppose the answer is just as it always has been: yes. And I pitied the masses that night.

• Like 4

Please write a review and post here and dcdining!!

Ssssshhhh!!! I'm trying to get away with pictures on "Where Did I Dine?" (The irony being the last restaurant I went to, my cell phone died before I walked in, so I had to purloin a menu (apologies in advance to the restaurant)) in order to have something to scan in and put on that thread.

Writing reviews is a taxing thing for me.

Only if the Cheesecake Factory becomes as deafening as fighter jet engines cranked to full throttle in the middle of live fire range at a heavy metal concert. Only then will Cheesecake Factory resemble the ambience of Matchbox....

A couple weeks ago, I had dinner at Ted's Bulletin, and simply could not believe the meal I had. 'Is *this* what people are going out to eat for?' I asked myself. And, I suppose the answer is just as it always has been: yes. And I pitied the masses that night.

I think Ted's has gone down hill the past two years quite quickly. We use to enjoy the Navy Yard location a while back, but the last 2-3 visits have just been walk in to get some desserts, which is a natural progression to the Cheesecake Factory I guess. There are restaurants (& chains) that work for the masses simply because everyone can find someone on the menu and the wait isn't 2 hours long in a line on a downtown street. Also everyone has a particular dessert they know they want which is more important than the meal. This is "Always leave them with a smile" dining.

So far, I think Matchbox, while Ted's has not, as a chain has kept it's quality in the upper middle range of pizza places. However that's a relative curve, since It's not a speciality Neapolitan pizzeria nor is it pizza hut.

I think the bigger question you are asking Don, is why do the masses not support mom and pop or local restaurants that produce quality food? My answer would be that they don't really exist anymore after getting trampled on by the fast food chains and faux neighborhood restaurant chains.

Ssssshhhh!!! I'm trying to get away with pictures on "Where Did I Dine?" (The irony being the last restaurant I went to, my cell phone died before I walked in, so I had to purloin a menu (apologies in advance to the restaurant)) in order to have something to scan in and put on that thread.

Writing reviews is a taxing thing for me.

I know, but I love your writing!

We ate at Matchbox (Capitol Hill) first the first time in a long time last night.  The spicy meatball pizza was still good (and the onion strings are never a disappointment :wub: ), but I actively disliked my "wedge" salad. I don't believe I've ever had it before, but it's been a very long time if I have.

I'm not sure if I noticed on the menu that, instead of being made with a wedge of iceberg, it's made with "artisan" romaine, but that really wasn't the problem with it.  The hearts of romaine were an adequate enough substitute for iceberg.  It was the dressing that was the issue.  I found it kind of gross, with way too strong, imbalanced flavors.  When the waitress asked how it was and I was not enthusiastic, she offered to take it away and bring me something else.  (Service, by the way, was excellent, and we did the "call ahead" thing for a table so we didn't have to wait very long once we arrived.)

I declined because I was ravenous.  The menu says it comes with red wine vinaigrette, but it tasted like balsamic and was way overly syrupy.  There was also a gorgonzola dressing on it that would probably have been okay if that had been all the dressing (I love blue cheese!), but between the cloying sweetness of the vinegar component and the smokiness that might have come from liquid smoke (?), it was not very palatable.  The smokiness threw me because I didn't see any visual evidence of grill marks or charring; it seemed like raw lettuce.  The smokiness also seemed detached from the small pieces of Nueske's bacon scattered about.  I kept, for unknown reasons, getting occasional mouthfuls of a heavy smoky taste.

My husband enjoyed his tuna with wasabi, which the online menu refers to as "Spicy Cajun Tuna," and asparagus risotto.  The combination of the "Cajun" description, along with ginger soy butter and wasabi in the menu entry brings flashes of Guy Fieri to mind.  Plus risotto :blink: .

Anyway, other than the salad, which I was hungry enough to eat, we enjoyed the meal.

On 5/11/2005 at 10:21 PM, Al Dente said:

Went to matchbox tonight "on a whim". Try the white pizza with prosciutto. But instead of prosciutto, have anchovies on the side. Mmmmmmmm.

I can't believe this was over 11 years ago. Fuck, I'm old.

• Like 3