Al Dente

Matchbox, a DC-Based American Chain Employing an Aggressive National Expansion - Now Controlled by Thompson Hospitality

All inspections have been passed. Training is going on round the clock, the ovens are roaring and we're planning on Saturday night after a private practice on Friday.

Lots of volunteers here if you need more practice. :)

Lots of volunteers here if you need more practice. :)

Ditto! I've been waiting and even pm'd Pizzaandbrew to see if there were any updates. I needed to arrange a lunch with my sister and cousin on the 18th so we went with Againn instead. Maybe we'll be able to change plans since it looks like they may actually open. Now all I need to do is find a phone number to call the place. (No, it's not on their webstie, or listed anywhere; I even called one of the other restaurants yesterday and was told they didn't have a contact number yet...but they will be open on Saturday evening :) )

Ditto! I've been waiting and even pm'd Pizzaandbrew to see if there were any updates. I needed to arrange a lunch with my sister and cousin on the 18th so we went with Againn instead. Maybe we'll be able to change plans since it looks like they may actually open. Now all I need to do is find a phone number to call the place. (No, it's not on their webstie, or listed anywhere; I even called one of the other restaurants yesterday and was told they didn't have a contact number yet...but they will be open on Saturday evening :) )

My apologies for not responding! Not intentional but with 3 restaurant openings in the last 6 months things have been a littel crazy. Not a great excuse - simply the truth. Phone number for rockville is 301 816 0369. To my knowledge, it may not be operational yet. Thanks for your patience folks. Looking forward to a great opening.

Chris

My apologies for not responding! Not intentional but with 3 restaurant openings in the last 6 months things have been a littel crazy. Not a great excuse - simply the truth. Phone number for rockville is 301 816 0369. To my knowledge, it may not be operational yet. Thanks for your patience folks. Looking forward to a great opening.

Chris

Thought this also might be helpful: http://www.matchboxrockville.com/index.php/locations

Nice - thanks Christopher. Can't wait to add you guys to the pike rotation, especially looking forward to brunch!

All inspections have been passed. Training is going on round the clock, the ovens are roaring and we're planning on Saturday night after a private practice on Friday.

I will be happy to happy to add my help tomorrow too if you are looking for people to practice on.

Chris

Thanks for the number! Looking forward to coming by soon, though I'll wait to call until the initial rush dies down... :) Good luck on your opening tomorrow night!

Stopped in Monday night to check it out. Similar to DC, but obviously a much wider layout. Patio was under construction but looks like it could be nice when the weather turns.

Apps:

6 sliders - cooked well, buns were great (actually better than my last MatchboxDC experience). Onions were tasty although a bit on the cool side.

Bacon wrapped shrimp with grits - great flavors, grits were delicious even to my usual non-grits eating self. They were lukewarm, not sure if that is how they are intended to be served?

Pizzas:

Matchbox meat (with added wild mushrooms) - best of the bunch. Great flavor, well cooked and just the right bit of spicy.

Spicy Meatball - another win here, good flavors. Added bonus - an extra meatball (instead of the usual 1 per slice).

4 Cheese - this was the one letdown of the night. The outside edges were way overdone, and the middle of the pizza was super greasy. Only pizza not finished.

Dessert

Lemon tart - I think came with some type of blueberry sauce, which was m-e-h. However the tart was great - great texture and as someone who wants lemon deserts to be tart and not overly sweet, it was spot on.

Service:

Our server was very friendly and for the most part attentive. We were seated upstairs, so it did seem like there were periods we didn't see him for a while when I assume he was downstairs @ the kitchen. The only thing I noticed that seemed odd to me was the other server(s) covering our area walked by with water pitchers multiple times while our water glasses remained empty. Thought it would make sense for them to keep an eye out.

Overall a good experience and probably will be back sooner than later. It *is* on the pricier side of our usuals (A&J, Joe's, etc.) but definitely happy to add to the Rockville list.

Had a very nice time at Matchbox on Friday, 12/17. Sat in behind the bar at what I'm calling the children's section because it was full of family with young kids, which given I was with my 5 and 7 was great. The wife and I ordered two beer, and we split 9 mini-burgers (three with gorgonzola), and a small pepperoni pizza. Burgers were great, cooked medium as asked for. Unlike Wahoooob, the onion straws were hot. I liked the pizza, but I didn't mind it being a little soggy in the middle. Wait times were an hour at six and more like two hours at seven. Make reservations if you can. All and all, a very impressive debut.

Ignacio

I went to the new Rockville location on Friday night. The food was consistent with the Chinatown location. We had the sliders for an app. They were fine, but honestly I think the ones at Founding Farmers are much better (and bigger). For an entree, we split a meat pizza. It was very good but extremely spicy. The crust was crispy but not burned, although I thought the pizza could use more sauce. For dessert, we had the coffee & doughnuts. Those were sooo good, especially the outside layer. Just the right amount of cinnamon & powder sugar over a freshly fried crispy exterior. They are addictive!

The biggest issue was the service. I realize they have only been open a week, but dinner took over 2 hours!! It was sooo slow. The waiter had no idea how to multi-task. He'd go to one table, then disappear, then go back to them, then go on to the next table. It was about 15-20 minutes between his table rotations. There were 4-5 different "runners" that just seemed to be hanging around waiting to reset tables when people left. None of them would refill water (we had to ask the waiter) and empty plates sat on the table until the waiter took them. The host staff were also sitting parties of 2 at tables for 4-6, when there were empty tables for 2, and people waiting in the lobby. What a mess!

If they can work out the service issues, I think this place will finally lift the curse of the location. Until then I'm going to wait awhile before going back.

The biggest issue was the service. I realize they have only been open a week, but dinner took over 2 hours!! It was sooo slow. The waiter had no idea how to multi-task. He'd go to one table, then disappear, then go back to them, then go on to the next table. It was about 15-20 minutes between his table rotations. There were 4-5 different "runners" that just seemed to be hanging around waiting to reset tables when people left. None of them would refill water (we had to ask the waiter) and empty plates sat on the table until the waiter took them. The host staff were also sitting parties of 2 at tables for 4-6, when there were empty tables for 2, and people waiting in the lobby. What a mess!

If they can work out the service issues, I think this place will finally lift the curse of the location. Until then I'm going to wait awhile before going back.

We had no problems with our service. Water refilled regularly, etc. We were sat at seven and out by eight. It's a biggggggggggggg restaurant, however. I can easily see how some servers are more up-to-speed than others.

Just walked in with my 2 kids and encountered about ten servers clustered at the host stand. They initially looked like they would seat us, but after a whispered conversation they told me 1/2 an hour wait. There were empty tables visible from outside, and it's too cold to entertain my kids outside. We left. Maybe it was a shift change? Who knows, but I went to spend my money elsewhere.

Just walked in with my 2 kids and encountered about ten servers clustered at the host stand. They initially looked like they would seat us, but after a whispered conversation they told me 1/2 an hour wait.

Heather, thank you for posting this. It helped minimize my dismay at their host area performance yesterday afternoon and make it to a table. Really, a smile and eye contact instead of bored-face and elbow on the host stand as a chin rest would have been nice. The staff member twirling menus as though he was on a sidewalk with a "condo-closeout" arrow sign was not entertaining [could his energy been used to help turn tables?]. Yes, a manager was in the middle of this milieu and seemingly oblivious.

The table service and food were better than the initial contact would have boded.

All the Matchbox locations are closed today [Christmas Eve] and tomorrow. I hope the Rockville team settles in because it was a great space for a glass of wine, a late lunch and updating my gift acquisition strategy.

We went Thursday night, having made a reservation. We were seated promptly. Table service was excellent, and during the meal three managers stopped by to ask us about the service and food. Clearly, they are aware of problems. Pizza was very good; don't pass up the donuts for dessert!

We went last night early(5pm) before Caps game in Rockville. Food was good though my wife thought sliders were a drop undercooked. My two teenage boys inhaled 3 sliders each and a large pizza and siad next time they will each have their own small pizza.

Waitress never asked me if I wanted another glass of Malbec.

I'll be back and hope the place stays in business.

I was disappointed when we couldn't be seated before, because I had driven over from Takoma Park with the kids especially to give the new place a try.

I'm back for an early dinner tonight after errands & hoping for the best. :) I want this place to succeed here, especially if I end up moving back to the area.

I was disappointed when we couldn't be seated before, because I had driven over from Takoma Park with the kids especially to give the new place a try.

I'm back for an early dinner tonight after errands & hoping for the best. :) I want this place to succeed here, especially if I end up moving back to the area.

I hope you fared better than we did...we walked in around 5:45 hoping not to have too long a wait...I thought that might be early enough. Nope--we were told 30-45 minutes. Having not eaten a meal in a day and a half, I was too hungry to wait. Went to Silver Diner and had a delicious omelet instead. I had so wanted to introduce the place to Mr. S, since I had such a nice lunch here a week ago on Saturday. Plump scallops with a flavorful sweet potato mash, and a banana bread pudding that was out of this world for dessert. Service was friendly and unobtrusive. We'll have to try back when the kids are back in school and Monday is once again a slow night.

I was debating whether to stop in last night after my errands, but a parking space in front of the door & a single seat left at the bar were signs that it was meant to be. My half chopped salad needed salt & a squeeze of lemon to wake it up but was OK after those additions. My self-created pizza (spicy sausage, smoked gouda, wild mushrooms) was a flop, but I will take part of the blame for that. My topping choices didn't work with the assertive tomato sauce, and the gouda was added to an already generous topping of mozzerella. Crust had a faint ring of char around half the outside, and was floppy in the middle, probably because of the topping overload. Next time I would ask for no sauce, less cheese, and an extra 30 seconds in the oven. I had a glass of Vitiano (cab/sangiovese/merlot) with the pizza & it was fine.

The bar was slammed, but I had great service from my bartender, Jamie. I'd go back if I find myself near Congressional Plaza again.

To people complaining about the wait.... try making a reservation. :)

Good point, as the Rockville location is now on Open Table. (I made a res for my lunch the previous Saturday.) We were just hoping to hit that sweet spot before the dinner rush begins. We probably would have waited under different circumstances. Having fasted (liquids only) a day and a half for a medical procedure prevented me from even considering the wait. :)

I went into the downtown location tonight after a dinner at Jaleo. Didn't partake in the food, but wanted to share that I was really impressed with the beer offerings on tap. Enjoyed a Bell's (?) IPA and a Rogue Schwarzbier (the latter particularly hit the spot for me). Service at the bar was very friendly and we watched (and smelled) pizzas being made and served all evening with envy. If this place were in my neighborhood I would definitely stop by for drinks regularly and I look forward to going when I can try the pizza. The fire-something was the last to come out before the oven was shut down and smelled a-maz-ing.

Was at the rockville location a few weeks ago. I wasn't supposed to eat a pizza, but I did. Actually I ate half of mine and half of my friends we had the coppa and sweet sopresseata pizzas. Both were awesome. I know there are more refined pizzas out there, but this remains probably my favorite after Red Rocks. I really love it. Wait would have been long, luckily we scored bar seats.

Had a nice glass of wine and a leisurely lunch. It was a great day to spend with a friend.

Matchbox Rockville is amazing! We have been there 3 times in as many weeks. The fire & smoke pizza is delicious and the Crab & Avocado Salad was unique and wonderful. We did find the sliders to be slightly underwhelming in comparison to the other items, but still worth a try. I could eat here everyday (please make reservations!!). The best part of the meal may be the "doughnuts" you can get for dessert. While we had the Trio dessert we realized that nothing beats those fried pieces of deliciousness! Will definitely be back soon!

I went into the downtown location tonight after a dinner at Jaleo. Didn't partake in the food, but wanted to share that I was really impressed with the beer offerings on tap. Enjoyed a Bell's (?) IPA and a Rogue Schwarzbier (the latter particularly hit the spot for me). Service at the bar was very friendly and we watched (and smelled) pizzas being made and served all evening with envy. If this place were in my neighborhood I would definitely stop by for drinks regularly and I look forward to going when I can try the pizza. The fire-something was the last to come out before the oven was shut down and smelled a-maz-ing.

Thanks for the kind words about the beers, Choirgirl 21. If your tastes are more in-line with the Schwartzbier, you may want to try to make it to Chinatown on Monday night for our Great Lakes Glassware Giveaway. We're gonna pair some of our menu items with a few beers from Great Lakes (and they really know how to use their malts). We're featuring the Christmas Ale (they hid some of this holiday favorite specifically for this event), Conways Irish Ale, The Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and the Commodore Perry Pale Ale. Every guest who tries a Great Lakes Brew will leave with a piece of Great Lakes glassware (while supplies last).

Nice dinner last weekend with friends at Matchbox in Chinatown.

Started with a Match-hattan - Makers Mark, sweet vermouth, orange bitters - and it hit the spot. Ordered the beet salad and was equally pleased. Fresh greens, lightly dressed, a few hunks of goat cheese, with cubed beets and walnuts (I think). Overall, a nice, light way to start the meal.

I had eaten pizzz at Orso the night before and leftovers that day for lunch so I wasnt in the mood for pizza and I don't eat red meat so no mini burgers, so I went for the linguini with roasted tomato sauce. I really liked it. Nicely al dente linguini, generously portioned, and tossed with some roasted tomatoes, smoked mozzarella, and croutons for texture. Quite satisfying for such a simple dish. A couple glasses of Shoofly Buzzcut, or something like that off their whites by the glass list, and I had a fine meal.

Service was prompt, courteous, and not intrusive which was nice as the place was quite busy that evening.