Firestone Walker Double Jack - Paso Robles, CA

PappyVanWise

This one is a recommendation from outside of the board.  When my wife's boss asked my thoughts on this one, I had to admit to not only not trying it, but never having any Firestone Walker beer. So why not jump head first into a new brewery with their Double IPA?

Here's some info on it from their website.

"Double Jack IPA is our first ever Imperial IPA. It features a big malty middle to cloak the high alcohol and mouth puckering hop bitterness. Huge tangerine, grapefruit and juicy fruit aroma blossom over the herbal blue basil and malt earthiness of this aggressive beer. Best enjoyed in moderation."

Sounds like some conflicting tastes in one bottle, so I'm interested in how they all work together.  It gets a whopping 97 from the field on Beer Advocate, which could be our highest rating yet.  I know it seems like we're going back to the IPA well so soon, but the fruit beers didn't appear to be a conversation starter.

Firestone Walker has some pedigree and money behind it, according to their story, so let's see how they do brewing beer.

"Firestone Walker Brewing Company brewed its first beer in 1996  in a small  facility rented from the Firestone Vineyard estate in Santa Barbara County.  In 2001 owners Adam Firestone and David Walker purchased the SLO Brewing Company located in Paso Robles, CA.  Firestone Walker's ales are selectively fermented in the Firestone Union oak barrel brewing system. The Firestone Union incorporates 65-gallon, medium and heavy toast American oak barrels.  Firestone Walker Brewing Company continues to grow as the palates of Americans migrate to craft beer. Our brew staff have picked up "Mid Size Brewery of the Year" at the World Beer Cup an unmatched four time."

It is available in 22oz bombers at $9 or so and clocks in at 9.5% abv.

Enjoy,

Eric

I've had the Double Jack from a bomber and on draft (at Smith Commons on H Street), and enjoyed it immensely.  Nice hop aroma and flavor (grapefruit and pine).  I know the description refers to a "big malty middle," but I would say it's just malty enough to balance the hops and the alcohol (I guess that's the point).

Given it's relative accessibility compared to Imperial IPAs of similar quality, the Double Jack is a definite re-buy for me.

I am drinking this right now at Churchkey, on draft. I don't get "big" malt at all, which is a good thing in my book. It definitely doesn't taste as high-grav as it is. I think it's really well balanced and not a total hop bomb. I'm enjoying it immensely.

This beer pretty much gave my taste buds a punch in the face.  Super hoppy with grapefruit and pine throughout.  Very good example of the style and quite drinkable.  Not sure how you get malty at all out of this one.  Not an everyday beer but good when matched with the right food.