DonRocks

Administrative Announcement - Looking for Local Experts Around-the-World: Countries, Regions, Cities,and Cuisines (e.g., Australia, Guangdong, Singapore, Barbecue) - Similar to What We're Doing with Andy Hayler

Just tried to get on and a message popped up that donrockwell.com could not be found.

So, I tried again right away and it's apparently worked. Typical ulcer-inducing server problems, no doubt.

This from Rocks:

Invision Power Services is under a DOS ("Denial Of Service") attack.  This affects all of their boards, not just www.donrockwell.com.  They're trying to find out where the attack is coming from, and once they do, hope to have the board(s) up shortly afterwards.  They said they were hoping for a couple of hours, but I'll be surprised to see things up-and-running again today.  The guy on the phone told me it was a centralized problem with their system, and is not spread to other peoples home computers.

As for me, I'm going to turn my computer off for a few hours and not even give it another thought.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

[invision will be moving this website to another, "more stable" server beginning late this evening. They anticipate that the site will be down for 2-4 hours during the move, hopefully in the middle of the night (they were thinking around midnight), although who knows at this point.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Edit: The site was successfully moved to a new server in the middle of the night.]

Edited by DonRocks

[When I get time, I'll be breaking up these Olney postings into individual restaurant threads, with a separate "Olney" index pinned up at the top of the forum in the "Where To Eat" thread. (It's perfectly fine to have ten different threads for restaurants in Olney). In general, please try to make one thread per restaurant (people can then use the "Where To Eat" thread to index through things). It's okay to compare-and-contrast, of course (you don't need to be militant about this), but keep in mind that these types of postings will eventually be moved into whatever individual-restaurant thread they seem like they most belong in. Cheers, Rocks.]

On our new wireless home network (how did I ever live with dial-up) to say.....

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!!!!

We have 500 members!

Later gaters.

And while we're fixing up the board, not to seem overly petty or anything, but the nation has been on STANDARD not DAYLIGHT time for several weeks now, so why is this board still timing messages in EDT? Is this why so many Rockwellians have been reported as showing up for their reservations one hour early, and thus going off to the bar to kill time and getting zonked?

I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Note Double Space:    And while we're fixing up the board, not to seem overly petty or anything, but the nation has been on STANDARD not DAYLIGHT time for several weeks now, so why is this board still timing messages in EDT?  Is this why so many Rockwellians have been reported as showing up for their reservations one hour early, and thus going off to the bar to kill time and getting zonked?

I'll get down off my soapbox now.

3 steps and you're good-to-go:

1) Click on "My Controls" on the top-right part of the screen

2) Click on "Board Settings" in the left column on the screen

3) Uncheck the "Is Daylight Savings Time In Effect?" box and click on "Adjust my account settings"

[EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS AND GET IT IN YOUR CORTEXES. FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, ANYONE INSERTING A TRIPLE-SPACE WHEN QUOTING A POST WILL BE STABBED. THANK YOU.]

I don't know what you're talking about.

:lol:

Edited by JLK

[Greetings all,

The postings over the past few days have become much shorter, choppy and less focused (it's very tempting to throw out one-liners - believe me, I'm as guilty of it as anyone).

But as the membership grows, let's take a moment to remember to stay on-topic and keep things substantive.

Thank you!

Rocks.]

[My email was rejecting messages for several days last week, so if anyone was trying to reach me, please try again.]

I just want to say welcome to all our shy little newdles (that's a combination of newbies and noodles).

A whole bunch of you have signed up since the holidays wound down, and I want to encourage everyone to post with zest, elan and enthusiasm. We're a community here, and everyone is an equal and vital part. Please don't be shy. Plunge right in. Maybe one day you'll become famous!

And even if you don't, you'll still have fun here. Promise!

Rocks

P.S. Click here if you're still hesitant! :)

[EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS AND GET IT IN YOUR CORTEXES. FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, ANYONE INSERTING A TRIPLE-SPACE WHEN QUOTING A POST WILL BE STABBED. THANK YOU.]

[PAY HEED HERE - A GOOD TWENTY PEOPLE DO THIS AND I'M GOING TO BEGIN SENDING ROCKO AND KNUCKLES TO YOUR DOORSTEPS AT 3 AM. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT? STOP BEING RECALCITRANT AND SPEND TWO MINUTES READING AND LEARNING THIS.]

When replying to a post, please remember to do this:

[qu0te]Original Post[/qu0te]

Inserting your reply here will automatically double-space (which is what you want to do)

instead of this:

[qu0te]Original Post[/qu0te]

Inserting your reply like this will triple-space (which is not good)

Thank you,

Your mother.

[EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS AND GET IT IN YOUR CORTEXES.  FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, ANYONE INSERTING A TRIPLE-SPACE WHEN QUOTING A POST WILL BE STABBED.  THANK YOU.]

[PAY HEED HERE - A GOOD TWENTY PEOPLE DO THIS AND I'M GOING TO BEGIN SENDING ROCKO AND KNUCKLES TO YOUR DOORSTEPS AT 3 AM.  WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?  STOP BEING RECALCITRANT AND SPEND TWO MINUTES READING AND LEARNING THIS.]

When replying to a post, please remember to do this:

instead of this:

Thank you,

Your mother.

Is this directed at me?

Invision hosts another group I am active in and it has the same problem that exists here...sometimes takes 5 minutes to refresh a page or respond to a request to add a comment. I love this software...

and I triple spaced just so I could stay on topic...

Math exercise:

Multiply 40 Private Messages by 2 minutes each.

That's 1 hour and 20 minutes on top of everything else.

Please understand when I can't reply to all my PMs. I can barely open-and-skim them right now. And the thing that kills me is that about 35 of the 40 messages today were from people whom I consider friends, miffed when I don't reply, and everyone thinks I'm being aloof. I'm not! I'm just deluged, and may need to put a cap on future membership. I don't care about numbers. I'd rather it be smaller and better, than larger and without soul.

Tired,

Rocks

Don has graciously taken over membership for me for the next few days while I work some things out. This means he has even less time than normal. Not to mention 18 registrations yesterday, which is wonderfully absurd but more work than I normally deal with in a week. Oh, and yeah, he does have a couple of real, paying jobs to pay attention to.

Give him an early Valentine's Day present. Unless your (insert favorite body part here) is about to be decimated because of something that has happened on the board, ask me for help. Or if you do PM him, please don't expect an answer.

On behalf of Don's sanity, thanks.

Math exercise:

Multiply 40 Private Messages by 2 minutes each.

That's 1 hour and 20 minutes on top of everything else. 

Please understand when I can't reply to all my PMs.  I can barely open-and-skim them right now.  And the thing that kills me is that about 35 of the 40 messages today were from people whom I consider friends, miffed when I don't reply, and everyone thinks I'm being aloof.  I'm not!  I'm just deluged, and may need to put a cap on future membership.  I don't care about numbers.  I'd rather it be smaller and better, than larger and without soul.

Tired,

Rocks

Okay, so I am not quite as popular as Rocks and I don't have quite that many, but my inbox is full of PM's that I have not had a chance to respond to. I'm in the middle of at least 5 conversations and need to put you on hold while I go figure out who decided to replicate the effects of a tornado in one of my math classrooms. I promise to get back to you but it probably won't happen today but I didn't want to leave you hanging in limbo.

"I can only deal with one problem per day. Today isn't the day for your problem. Tomorrow doesn't look so good either."

(from the greeting card aisle)

Edited by johnson