DonRocks

Administrative Announcement - Looking for Local Experts Around-the-World: Countries, Regions, Cities,and Cuisines (e.g., Australia, Guangdong, Singapore, Barbecue) - Similar to What We're Doing with Andy Hayler

"I can only deal with one problem per day. Today isn't the day for your problem. Tomorrow doesn't look so good either."

Please file your problem with the complaint department. That's 15th floor, left off the elevator, pink door on your right at the end of the hall....NEXT PLEASE!!!!

[Happy Valentine's Day everyone :lol:

All this recent chatty one-liner stuff was a fun diversion, but now it needs to be kept in check. I let it run because it was Valentine's Day (and even encouraged it), but now it's time to limit it to "On A Whim," etc.

I am entering a particularly busy phase for the next few weeks, and I'm not going to have a lot of time to massage things behind the scenes, so please understand if one-liners, off-topic posts, etc. get axed. You can always PM me if you have questions about anything, but please do it selectively.

Try and make each posting substantive and on-topic, and please resist the temptation to post 5-10 times a day.

Sneers,

Oscar The Grouch]

BUMP

[Happy Valentine's Day everyone :lol:

All this recent chatty one-liner stuff was a fun diversion, but now it needs to be kept in check. I let it run because it was Valentine's Day (and even encouraged it), but now it's time to limit it to "On A Whim," etc.

I am entering a particularly busy phase for the next few weeks, and I'm not going to have a lot of time to massage things behind the scenes, so please understand if one-liners, off-topic posts, etc. get axed. You can always PM me if you have questions about anything, but please do it selectively.

Try and make each posting substantive and on-topic, and please resist the temptation to post 5-10 times a day.

Sneers,

Oscar The Grouch]

[i'm sick of going in and editing triple-spaced postings. From now on, I'm going to hold down the delete key for a split-second too long and remove the first letter of your posting in addition to the blank line.

So go ahead and triple space if you want - you'll look like an illiterate buffoon when I'm done with you.

Click here for your last-chance primer on how not to triple-space.

Cheers,

Rocks.]

[i'm sick of going in and editing triple-spaced postings.  From now on, I'm going to hold down the delete key for a split-second too long and remove the first letter of your posting in addition to the blank line.

So go ahead and triple space if you want - you'll look like an illiterate buffoon when I'm done with you.

Click here for your last-chance primer on how not to triple-space.

Cheers,

Rocks.]

Don

A humble suggestion: Why don't you just take these Invision folks aside and politely tell them to fix their stupid "power" software? This can't involve more than a line or two of "power" code.

Just trying to be helpful.........

A humble suggestion:  Why don't you just take these Invision folks aside and politely tell them to fix their stupid "power" software?  This can't involve more than a line or two of "power" code.

Not much is as simple as a line or two code change. Think about all the associated code verification, unit, system, and regression testing, packaging, and releasing of another version. From Invision's point of view, it will not be worth the ROI unless they can piggy-back it with another problem.

All that said, is it really that hard not to add an extra when replying?

Not much is as simple as a line or two code change.  Think about all the associated code verification, unit, system, and regression testing, packaging, and releasing of another version.  From Invision's point of view, it will not be worth the ROI unless they can piggy-back it with another problem.

All that said, is it really that hard not to add an extra when replying?

It was just a light-hearted post. But in any case, with all due respect, I really doubt it's all that complicated to fix.

And as to being "that hard" for people to "add a line," apparently it is because DR has to constantly post that people should not triple space. In actuality it's not a question of being hard, but rather it's the user-friendly problem; not putting in that space when replying is counterintuitive and people just don't know/remember to do it. IMHO it's a perfect example of software engineers being wrapped up in the technical aspects of their work (such as code verification, unit, system, and regression testing, packaging, and releasing of another version) and forgetting about the ordinary people who get to use their stuff.

BUMP

[Happy March 31st everyone <_<

Sneers,

Oscar The Grouch]

I just moved a motherlode o' threads to the "Media and Press" forum (or whatever it is that I named it), so if you're looking for a thread that isn't here, it's there.

The "View New Posts" option (on the top-right of the screen) comes in handy if you want to see a list of recent postings in all forums (it keeps you from bopping around back-and-forth).

Cheers,

Rocks.

If your postings are showing up off by an hour, it's because you haven't checked the Daylight Savings Time box.

Click on "My Controls" up near the top of the page, then "Board Settings" near the bottom-left, and you'll see it.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Just a friendly reminder that only one person is allowed to post from each account/screen name. Since the board doesn't allow face to face conversations on line we will not know who is talking if one more than one person posts from an account it can become confusing. Also, you the original member is responsible for whatever is posted under your screen name, whether or not you posted it yourself.

If your spouse or significant other would like to join us all you need to do is send me an email at membership@donrockwell.com with the new screen name, your SO's real name and where they live. You don't need to go through the whole registration process.

Each member is also only allowed one screen name. If we discover that a member has more than one screen name the second one will be deleted [as will the first. Rocks.]

And a reminder to key employees of restaurants: you're welcome - encouraged, even - to post about your establishment (within reason), but you must identify yourselves when doing so.

I now return you to your regular rainy morning posting :)

Edited by DonRocks

This is a tough call, but I'm going to go ahead and make it. I'm not naming any names in the event that I'm wrong, but I've spent a fair amount of time researching this, and at this point I think it's appropriate to issue a warning to restaurateurs.

--

I believe there is - or should I say was - someone on this website posing as a terminally ill patient, hoping to get sympathy and free food.

She's supposedly "two weeks away from death," yet she's eating and drinking all over town. I've talked with people that have seen her, and she doesn't exactly look like she's on her last leg.

She isn't dying; she's merely dying for attention.

And read this for a brief description of what she most likely "has":

Munchausen By Internet

Yes, I feel sorry for this person, but not for the reason she wants me to.
Rocks.

To our newest members patiently waiting in registration limbo,

Please bear with us. The board decided to take a short nap on Saturday (or was it Sunday?) and has since decided to give us (me) some behind the scenes problems. Hopefully it will only take a day or two to fix and I can return to accomplishing my new goal of 2,000 members by our 18 month anniversary :)

Thanks for understanding,

Your Membership Director who wishes she knew more about this technical stuff (but only a little bit)

[speaking about general situations here, and not any specific incidents:

It is never, ever okay to mention to a restaurant that you 'post on dr.com' in order to expect free food or better service. Period.

If you know a chef posts here, and enjoyed your meal, it's okay to say something after the bill has been paid. Use your judgment as to what's appropriate.

Also for good measure, if you're posting about a restaurant here, and you receive something complimentary (because you're friends with the chef, etc.), it's always in good form to say so if you're recounting your experience there.

Cheers,

Rocks.]

[if any of your postings disappear today, and you're wondering whether or not I deleted them, the answer is yes. And I simply don't have the time to PM everyone explaining why I did, so just assume they were either way off-topic or inappropriate.

And there are at least two members here I'm on the verge of suspending, which I've only done once before to anyone, and that was only for an hour.

Stay on-topic, be respectful of others, do not discuss policy issues on the threads, and dispense with the stupid one-liners.

Cheers,

Rocks.]

[in case you didn't notice, the board was down for a short while today while we upgraded to a newer version of Invision Power Board software. There are some added features, including beefed-up security, but at this point, you guys know as much about things as I do. Cheers, Rocks.]

[in case you didn't notice, the board was down for a short while today while we upgraded to a newer version of Invision Power Board software. There are some added features, including beefed-up security, but at this point, you guys know as much about things as I do. Cheers, Rocks.]

Thank you for beefing up the security. There's been far too much riff raff coming round here. That, and all the cash in my wallet seems to be missing. (Although that could be due to a few bottles of wine at Notti Bianche :) ) :angry::angry:

The new graduated triple-spacing penalties are as follows:

0-10 posts, triple-space removed, post left intact.

10-50 posts, first letter of post removed.

50-100 posts, first line of post removed.

100-200 posts, first line and first letter of second line of post removed.

200+ posts, post deleted, restored upon user request.

Click here for a 60-second primer on how not to triple-space.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Well, I guess we know now where you stand on the death penalty. :)

For every triple spaced post, you have to buy Rocks (or me, if you can't find him), a bottle of 1996 Cortese Rabaja Riserva. Only $80 or so...you can swing it.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Wow! remind me to never triple space (but I didn't see anything about not quintuple spacing however)

Cheers,

Rocks.

I would think....oh forget it I just can't say it. I Love You Don. :) .

I would think....oh forget it I just can't say it. I Love You Don. B) .
Yeah, but you triple-spaced! :):angry::angry: