Administrative Announcement - Use Email Address To Sign In

DonRocks

I know that Rocks, crackers, mktye and I are the only people who pay attention (and for Rocks it's only during the daylight :D ) but we have had a huge bump in our membership numbers over the past few weeks. Friday alone 10 members were activated. We haven't had that many people activated in one day since we were getting all of the publicity this time last year.

Even better, new members are joining in and people who are long time members-first time posters are joining the conversation as well. Just a few weeks ago a number of us were trying to figure out how to get new members and non posting members active. I guess all we had to do is sit back and welcome them in. Must be because we're being nice to each other or something :P

I also want to add that mktye is taking "two steps forward, one step back" since we're now doing monthly prunings of inactive users. We've done this since the one-year point of the website - if someone signed up over a year ago, has never posted, and hasn't signed in during the past 12 months, we go ahead and remove their membership. This has been going on at about the rate of 10-20 per month. So thanks mktye, for swimming upstream and still making progress.

I just do the bookkeeping. The real thanks goes the 1500+ members. Currently, the three most common responses to the question we ask all new registrants -- How did you hear about DonRockwell.com? -- are:

1. An internet search engine

2. Linked/mentioned on another a food blog/forum

3. From a friend/member

Without you all, word would not spread and we'd not be drawing in the new people who keep the membership growing.

So thank you to those who post about your dining experiences, cooking adventures, favorite beverages, out-of-town eating and so on. Without your posts, the googlebot and its ilk would have nothing to record and DR.com would not show up in web searches.

And thank you to those who write about DR.com on your blogs, personal web pages and other forums. Links to nearly all of those can be found here.

Last but not least, thank you to those who talk about DR.com with your friends, colleagues and acquaintances. The relationships and interactions between members are what make this site something special and more than just a big database.

If any of you are wondering what actually goes on during the member registration process, here is a quick (well, as quick as I can make it :P ) run-down:

Register here to enter your choice of log-in name, display name and email address. This information then goes to create an account and you are listed as "Validating" in the registration queue. The password you enter always remains completely private and none of the administrators ever have access to it (which is why, if you forget your password, we need to reset it to something else).

Daily (usually around mid-morning), I send out validation letters to all of those who have registered in the last 24 hours. One of the main purposes of this letter is to show that the email address you gave when registering is a valid, working email address. We also ask for your first and last names, city of residence, how you found DR.com and if you are in the food industry (food writer, chef/cook, server, sommelier, food educator, food chemist, food/dining-related business owner and so on). This information is kept strictly private and only available to Don Rockwell and the site's membership administrators.

[If you have registered and do not receive a validation letter within 24 hours, please, please, please check your email's spam repository!!! ]

Once I receive a response to the validation letter at the membership account address (the validation letters are sent from the main donrockwell.com email account -- if you simply hit the reply button and respond to that address, there will most likely be a delay before your response reaches the membership account), I enter your personal information in the membership spreadsheet and validate your account so you will be a "Member" and have full access to the board. You can then begin posting, search the site and access the Restaurant Guide.

At that point, I stop bugging you. :D However, if you ever do have any questions about your account, forget your log-in/password, want to change your display/log-in name, update your email address, or just have a question about the site, I am here. Just contact me via email or PM and I'll be happy to do whatever I can to be of assistance.

And for those who've read this far... a few fun statistics about the membership as it stands today:

37% of members live in DC

36% of members live in VA

20% of members live in MD

7% of members live outside of the area

24% of members are industry professionals (given our rather loose definition)

The most popular first letter for a display name is "M" with 148 members (yay "M"!) and the least used, with 4 for each, are "Q", "X" and those starting with a number. :lol:

[EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS AND GET IT IN YOUR CORTEXES. FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, ANYONE INSERTING A TRIPLE-SPACE WHEN QUOTING A POST WILL BE STABBED. THANK YOU.]

[PAY HEED HERE - A GOOD TWENTY PEOPLE DO THIS AND I'M GOING TO BEGIN SENDING ROCKO AND KNUCKLES TO YOUR DOORSTEPS AT 3 AM. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT? STOP BEING RECALCITRANT AND SPEND TWO MINUTES READING AND LEARNING THIS.]

When replying to a post, please remember to do this:

[qu0te]Original Post[/qu0te]

Inserting your reply here will automatically double-space (which is what you want to do)

instead of this:

[qu0te]Original Post[/qu0te]

Inserting your reply like this will triple-space (which is not good)

Thank you,

Your mother.

For those stuck in registration limbo and wondering why you cannot post: PLEASE check your email spam folders for messages from donrockwell.com. :lol:

And once again...

If any of you are wondering what actually goes on during the member registration process, here is a run-down:

Register here to enter your choice of log-in name, display name and email address. This information then goes to create an account and you are listed as "Validating" in the registration queue. The password you enter always remains completely private and none of the administrators ever have access to it (which is why, if you forget your password, we need to temporarily reset it to something else).

Daily (usually around mid-morning), I send out validation letters to all of those who have registered in the last 24 hours. One of the main purposes of this letter is to show that the email address you gave when registering is a valid, working email address. We also ask for your first and last names, city of residence, how you found DR.com and if you are in the food industry (food writer, chef/cook, server, sommelier, food educator, food chemist, food/dining-related business owner and so on). This information is kept strictly private and only available to Don Rockwell and the site's membership administrators.

[if you have registered and do not receive a validation letter within 24 hours of registering, please, please, please check your email's spam repository!!! ]

Once I receive a response to the validation letter at the membership account address (the validation letters are sent from the main donrockwell.com email account -- if you simply hit the reply button and respond to that address, there will most likely be a delay before your response reaches the membership account), I enter your personal information in the membership spreadsheet and validate your account so you will be a "Member" and have full access to the board. You can then begin posting, search the site and access the Restaurant Guide.

At that point, I stop bugging you. :unsure: However, if you ever do have any questions about your account, forget your log-in/password, want to change your display/log-in name, update your email address, or just have a question about the site, I am here. Just contact me via email or PM and I'll be happy to do whatever I can to be of assistance.

Two thoughts for a chilly Friday morning:

1) Politeness and common decency towards other people are always in style.

2) If you shoot up the town while drunk, you'd better clean up your mess before the sheriff comes home from dinner.

Jason wrote me this weekend, and said, "What do you think of something like this? Just whipped this up quick this morning. It's the same width and hight if the invision logo. I'm sure a professional graphic artist could do better."

Well, Jason, it's a lot better than what we had - thank you VERY much for doing this! Cheers man! Rocks.

For the rest of you, look at the bottom of the page. There you will see a drop down box that currently reads "IPB 2.2.0 Default". Change that to "temp" while chuckling at the category header.

I think the font suits Rocks perfectly.

For the rest of you, look at the bottom of the page. There you will see a drop down box that currently reads "IPB 2.2.0 Default". Change that to "temp" while chuckling at the category header.

Thanks JPW. I thought we were approving of the emporer's new clothes :blink: I like it.

Thanks, Joe. I had no idea what anybody was talking about. :blink:

Is this a first, tentative step?

It's great to see the name of the site and its founder instead of "Invision". The font is stately.

Might I suggest a bolder move, removing ".com" and extending the name further across a banner with imagery and/or design elements that nod to the nature of the site?

It would be wonderful if long-time members could brainstorm and suggest something unique to Donrockwell.com or local dining/culinary scene that might be a worthy signature or icon. (No visual puns on name.) The only thing that comes to mind to this relatively new member is the ventworm cake.

Then remove "IPB" portal, change color schemes, incorporate additional icons next to the different names of forums...

Jason wrote me this weekend, and said, "What do you think of something like this? Just whipped this up quick this morning. It's the same width and hight if the invision logo. I'm sure a professional graphic artist could do better."

A professional graphic artist would have included the big "Mario Puzo" too :blink:

puzo960826.gif + 10_DR_Logo_2.gif = rockstarjv6.jpg

Just to let everyone know what's going on ... I went to report the website down and when I went to the Invision client area, I found this which was sent Monday:

----------

Hello,

During a recent server survey we noticed that your site is using an extreme amount of server resources. This is generally caused by the large number of concurrent users on your site. After further investigation, we have concluded that your site is no longer fit for a shared hosting environment. This is based on recent statistics from both your account and the server as a whole.

Due to this, we would recommend that you look into purchasing a dedicated server. More information on this can be found at http://www.ipshosting.com/?dedicated. Our dedicated servers not only offer all the benefits of IPS Hosting, they also allow you complete control over your own account, the ability to create new accounts and resell web hosting, full 'root' access,a free server transfer, $49.00 off setup fees for current hosting customers, and much more!

Unfortunately, if you do not wish to upgrade to a dedicated server we must ask that you look for another web host. Please keep in mind that our resource usage policy is much the same as most other web hosts and as such we strongly believe that the upgrade to a dedicated server would be your best option.

If you have any questions about this, or a dedicated server, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

Thank you for choosing Invision Power Services!

Best Regards,

Invision Power Services Hosting

System Administration Team

---------

I sent Invision a request to get the website back up and I'd deal with this later today. The website being down may be completely coincidental to this - I doubt they'd simply pull the plug on four days notice. I also note that my hosting package expires tomorrow (it's around the two-year mark) which may have had something to do with it. But I suspect this may have just been the server going down randomly - either way I'll deal with this behind the scenes. Dedicated servers START at $229/month, and I'm hopeful that there could simply be some inefficiency that can be corrected - there hasn't been any "sudden and rapid growth" - but this could quickly turn into Ouchville.

Cheers,

Rocks.

How about a DR.com fundraiser? Potluck at someone's house -- bring a dish and a dollar?
If we come to this we can gladly do something at my place in Adams Morgan. I can hold about 30-40 between the patio and the living room. I'll even break out a few new cocktails.

I won't take any money from any members here.

But Don, you wouldn't be taking -- we'd be giving. And, basically, we'd be giving to...ourselves. Seriously, can anyone remember how they used to decide where to eat and what before DR.com was here?

Dudes,

Could everyone sign in today and post about their most recent restaurant experience? I'm curious to see where people here have been dining. Hell, post on the McDonald's thread if you want to (I admit it - I went there once last week myself).

Cheers!

Rocks.

Dudes,

Could everyone sign in today and post about their most recent restaurant experience? I'm curious to see where people here have been dining. Hell, post on the McDonald's thread if you want to (I admit it - I went there once last week myself).

Cheers!

Rocks.

Eeks. This is the culinary equivalent of always taking care that you are wearing nice underwear in case you are taken to the emergency room (or in case you find yourself getting unexpectedly lucky, but Mom didn't ever intend for her good advice to be co-opted like that, now did she?). I mean really. Here you are, a slab on the morgue table, and they slice open your gut to find out what your last meal was...and they find two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. When they investigated, they found that Don Rocks forced you to admit that you'd eaten at Mickey D's and you died of embarrassment.

Ellen

For those stuck in registration limbo and wondering why you cannot post, search the site or access the Restaurant Guides: PLEASE check your email spam folders for messages from donrockwell.com. ;)

And yet again...

If any of you are wondering what actually goes on during the member registration process, here is a run-down:

Register here to enter your choice of log-in/display name, password and email address. This information then goes to create an account and you are listed as "Validating" in the registration queue. The password you enter always remains completely private and none of the administrators ever have access to it (which is why, if you forget your password, we need to temporarily reset it to something else).

Daily (usually around mid-morning), I send out validation letters to all of those who have registered in the last 24 hours. One of the main purposes of this letter is to show that the email address you gave when registering is a valid, working email address. We also ask for your first and last names, city of residence, how you found DR.com, if you are in the food industry (food writer, chef/cook, server, sommelier, food educator, food chemist, food/dining-related business owner and so on) and, if in the food industry, the name of your restaurant, business or place of employment. Providing your personal information is something we ask of all members and it is kept strictly private and not shared with anyone outside of the website administrators.

[if you have registered and do not receive a validation letter within 24 hours of registering, please, please, please check your email's spam repository!!! ]

Once I receive a response to the validation letter at the membership account address, I enter your personal information in the membership spreadsheet and validate your account so you will be a "Member" and have full access to the board. You can then begin posting, search the site and access the Restaurant Guide.

At that point, I stop bugging you. :P However, if you ever have any questions about your account, forget your log-in/password, want to change your display/log-in name, update your email address, or have a question about the site, I am here. Just contact me via email or PM and I'll be happy to do whatever I can to be of assistance.

Pin tr.v. pinned, pinning, pins

The Free Dictionary Definition:

1. To fasten or secure with or as if with a pin or pins.

2. To transfix.

3. To place in a position of trusting dependence: He pinned his faith on an absurdity.

4. a. To hold fast; immobilize: The passenger was pinned under the wreckage of the truck.

4. b. Sports To win a fall from in wrestling.

5. To give (a woman) a fraternity pin in token of attachment.

The DonRockwell.com Definition:

1. To make it so a thread always stays at the top of a forum independent of the date of the last post. It does not mean a thread is closed to discussion. Usually done with important threads and/or those which warrant ready access. Example: The thread for Zora's Blog here. ;)

(And for those wondering: threads closed to discussion are marked with a little red "x" to the left to the thread title.)

There's going to be a new forum devoted specifically to Farmers' Markets and area Farms. I'll be taking the existing "Farmers Markets" thread and moving it over ther from the Shopping and Cooking forum. Slowly, when I can find some time, I'll be splitting that thread into one thread for each individual farm, one thread for each individual market, etc.

Hillvalley and zoramargolis will host that forum, and for now the Events and Gatherings forum will be left unhosted, the thought being that anyone and everyone should feel free to organize events, anytime you want, without a lot of red tape or bureaucracy. (Let's not forget this is the very reason this website came into existence.) cucas87 will be helping to organize things, and monavano will be keeping the calendar updated, so please keep these two abreast of anything you wish to organize (flip me a PM too, please). If we ever have any "official" dr.com events (and it seems like there is, or was, a decline in interest in these), I'll figure out what to do about that stuff later. Maybe we'll become more formal and organized as time goes on, but for now I don't see the need. I'm winging all of this, so please allow me the right to change direction on short notice if something arises.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Technical question which will eventually be moved to another thread...

Why is it that some pictures, apparently pictures that can be seen by others, show up as a big red "X" on my screen? I assume there's something my computer doesn't have on it, but what?

I'm certain I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Cheers,

Rocks

Technical question which will eventually be moved to another thread...

Why is it that some pictures, apparently pictures that can be seen by others, show up as a big red "X" on my screen? I assume there's something my computer doesn't have on it, but what?

I'm certain I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Cheers,

Rocks

These pics are hosted on eGullet, and I've had others not be able to see them before. Maybe the browser? I will put a link to the pic for now, then try to find a host that I can use where everyone can see my purdy veggies.