I Want One Of Those

delyn

http://gizmodo.com/358671/a-steak-toaster-...a-steak-toaster

I want the customer list for this product. Talk about people with too much money on their hands! :mellow:

There was some show that was on ABC called American Inventor where a guy had actually built something like this. He puts a thick steak in and if I recall correctly, something like 2 or 3 hours and a minor bit of electrocution later, it was cooked rare or medium rare.

The more kitchen gadgets I buy the less I use. :D

I share that sentiment... For years I wanted a mandoline, oh how I wanted it! I imagined all the fancy garnishes I could make to amaze and impress dinner guests...the possibilities were endless! As it turns out, I've had the (top of the line, French) mandoline for 4 years, and have used it exactly once! I'm so intimidated by the thing that I can't bring myself to use it!

Are those any good? Especially the "Batter Blaster". I recently saw it at Whole Foods and am wondering....
NO.

4 oz flour

4 oz buttermilk

1 egg

1 oz melted butter

Eyeball:

Maple syrup/sugar

Baking soda

Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients.

There's your Batter Blaster. Tastes way better than anything you will find in a mix or spray can and takes fewer than two minutes to throw together.

Not only that, but where the Batter Blaster you need to go out and BUY, everything for from-scratch pancakes you should have on hand (with the possible exception of the buttermilk*).

*If you don't have buttermilk, try adding a tsp or so of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to plain old milk and let it sit for a few minutes. Or, forget that and just use regular milk, plain (but replace the baking soda with baking powder).

THE KITCHEN IS NO PLACE FOR MEDIOCRITY!!! :D

*If you don't have buttermilk, try adding a tsp or so of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to plain old milk and let it sit for a few minutes. Or, forget that and just use regular milk, plain (but replace the baking soda with baking powder).
I've always done 1:2 baking soda to powder for buttermilk pancakes. (1/2 t & t for 3/4 c flour) Pinch salt. Crumbled bacon instead of cinnamon's good.

NO.

4 oz flour

4 oz buttermilk

1 egg

1 oz melted butter

Eyeball:

Maple syrup/sugar

Baking soda

Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients.

There's your Batter Blaster. Tastes way better than anything you will find in a mix or spray can and takes fewer than two minutes to throw together.

Not only that, but where the Batter Blaster you need to go out and BUY, everything for from-scratch pancakes you should have on hand (with the possible exception of the buttermilk*).

THE KITCHEN IS NO PLACE FOR MEDIOCRITY!!! :D

So I figured. Thanks for the easy recipe, I'll give it a try. Guess what? I happen to have buttermilk on hand from the scratch cake I made the other day. I agree...the kitchen is no place for mediocrity!

Warmest,

I share that sentiment... For years I wanted a mandoline, oh how I wanted it! I imagined all the fancy garnishes I could make to amaze and impress dinner guests...the possibilities were endless! As it turns out, I've had the (top of the line, French) mandoline for 4 years, and have used it exactly once! I'm so intimidated by the thing that I can't bring myself to use it!
Remember they include the hand/finger guard for a reason, and that in the Emergency Room they refer to these as the finger guillotine, but otherwise you should experiment with the device and you will come to wonder how you ever got along without it -- especially if you forked out for the high end model. They really are useful. Another tip -- make sure you have enough room on the countertop or wherever in order to anchor it properly.

Are those any good? Especially the "Batter Blaster". I recently saw it at Whole Foods and am wondering....

Reminded of this post when I saw the Batter Blaster on sale at HT (plus I had a coupon for it), I decided to test it out, using gebaby as my guinea pig. No complaints from him, as he gobbled up the 1.5 (1 big and 1 small sized) pancakes made, although I am also sure adding blueberries helped.

Pros:

No clean up

No refridgerating leftover batter

Can make as little or as a lot as you want

Can make goofy shapes with it

It's Organic! Natural ingredients

Cons

A small pancake runs very thin, almost crepe-like, so it's best if you "layer" it

Bubbles a lot, but takes awhile to cook despite the bubbling.

A bit sweet for me, but not too bad in flavor

Not a bad Monday morning, breakfast-wise.

SousVide Supreme (in case anyone wants to channel the Voltaggio brothers.) Christmas gift, anyone??

I'm actually pretty excited about picking up one of those. What appeals to me is, of course, experimenting with new flavor and texture possibilities. But the convenience of the make-ahead cooking should be a boon for dinner parties.

I may wait until January to snag one to avoid $50 shipping charges, but ghin (gotta have it now) fever could kick in any day. :angry: