Stretch

2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - No Longer DOCG Pizza, but Who Cares?

On 10/3/2018 at 2:27 PM, jca76 said:

glad to hear that they are ramping up a bit.  there were no hot specials as of sunday (when rick was there).  i don't know whether they lost staff during the closure, but jeffrey coincidentally left about a week before the flood, and i don't think they've replaced him with another chef yet.

I've been to 2 Amys 2-3 times since they reopened. A couple things I've noticed are:

* They now have two unisex restrooms

* The tables in the main dining room seem more bunched together (tonight, it was difficult to navigate from one side of the room to the other)

Neither of these is "good" or "bad" so much as they are observations, though I do miss the picture of Sophia Loren.

PS - Get a bottle of the "Carbonic Sangiovese" ($30) - it will come in a carafe, but I've had it each time I've recently been, and haven't regretted it. Think: Cru Beaujolais (Morgon or Moulin-a-Vent) in the best possible sense - this quality of wine would generally set you back 50% more in Restaurant World.

• Like 1

I'm happy to say that 2Amys seems to be back at full strength.  There are now multiple special pizzas and hot kitchen specials every night. And the wine bar specials is back to its pre-flood length.  They've also added a champagne section to their wine list.  It's on the expensive side and doesn't seem to have the amazing low/no markup pricing that was sometimes on the old "reserve" list or that Etto had/has for champagne  But it's a nice addition.   

I haven't noticed a change in table spacing.  The unisex restrooms strike me as a good solution to the fact that one restroom typically had a wait while the other did not. But it does turn the stall + urinal men's room that accommodated two people into a restroom for one.  The former men's room, which still has a urinal and separate stall, now has a sign telling people to lock the door behind them.  I gather that people wouldn't be comfortable with using it as a unisex restroom for two, i.e., with a urinal outside of a unisex stall?  But that would increase the number of people who could use the restrooms at a time.   

It was good to be back at the bar at 2 Amy's.  It was somewhat quieter last night, perhaps people were suffering from election hangovers?

***Porchetta Alert*** 2 Amy's was not serving the traditional porchetta last night, which pre-flood was a Wednesday night fixture.  They indicated they are still not up to speed yet, so be warned if you are looking for a Porchetta Wednesday fix, it might be worth checking in with 2 Amy's first.

That said, still some delicious eating to be had.

Rabbit en porchetta with pickled cabbage ($12) this was the traditional porchetta stand in, really good and I'm not a big rabbit fan.

Pickled sardine and roasted pepper crostino ($8) whatever crostino they are serving is pretty much a must order, and this did not disappoint

Sicilian anchovies with bread and butter ($7) no meal is complete without these tasty fishies

Braised Artichokes with olives and aged goat cheese ($10) an excellent vegetable course

Salt cod croquettes (7.95) these make a regular appearance in our ordering

Caponata (6.95) I felt this could have been a bit more punchier

Citrus marinated beets with sardinian sheep's milk ricotta and vincotto ($10) the beets were good, the ricotta was amazing

Fancy Greek bottarga with toasty bread, butter, lemon and sicilian evoo ($14) its tough to  beat bottarga on toast points

Piggy, pistachio and prune terrine with the appropriate condiments ($10) a good dish, but probably wouldn't have ordered if the traditional porchetta was available

Chocolate mousse and Wild honey ice cream...because after all of that, why not get two desserts.  😀

Rabbit, Terrine, Anchovies

2 amys rabbit DR.jpg

2 amys terrine DR.jpg

2 Amys anchovies DR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went for lunch twice in the past two weeks. Both times had the Etna 2.0 which is really good. I always liked when they had special pizzas with fried eggplant slices and now happy to have a regular pizza on the menu - it is good and smoky from the oven and the smoked mozzarella. The old Etna's eggplant was kind of hidden in the sauce and not so great - the new version is much better. My companions' pizzas were good too. The only thing that was a shame was the salt cod croquettes which were overly salty on one visit. We get this dish 75% of the time and always love it. I like the new addition of the lemon aioli instead of only the fresh lemon slice for variety (still better with fresh squeezed lemon IMHO), but the salt just killed the dish. I'm not sure if they didn't rinse the salt cod enough or what. Hopefully they'll get back to their usual stride next time. 

Interesting, per the 2 Amy's website:

No longer DOC

When 2amys opened in 2001, it was a very different time in the pizza world.  We were excited to be a part of what we saw as an inclusive and dedicated group of restaurants trying in their own way to preserve the legacy of Neapolitan Pizza.  

At that time, there were only a small handful of restaurants in the States involved, and we felt it was an important story to tell.  In the past 17 years, the rules regulating production have been changed, amended, and adapted (apparently you can now cook in a gas oven if regulations don't allow wood), and 2amys has been cited for improper peel usage, among other serious violations.  Although peel usage is not well defined in the dissaplinare, we have decided to move on and are no longer a member of the VPN.  We wish them the best of luck in continuing to redefine the history of pizza.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tweaked said:

We wish them the best of luck in continuing to redefine the history of pizza

That sounds very Taylor Swift/Katy Perry-type snarky.  But I kind of like it too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After a long drive home on Boxing Day (3 hours from Richmond to DC...ugh) I went to 2 Amy's for dinner.  The place was slammed, the entire back bar area filled with people waiting on tables.  I guess people were tired of being at home with relatives!

Fortunately, few people were actually eating at the bar, and I was able to snag a seat at the end. Miguel and Tammy took good care of me.

Highlights included:

Sicilian Anchovies with bread and butter - A must order

Roasted Eggplant with cherry tomatoes, almonds, smoked paprika, and sheep's milk ricotta - This was a log of roasted eggplant sitting in a pool of cherry tomato sauce and a wedge of the always excellent ricotta (apparently sourced from Sardinia)

Butternut Squash and farro salad with vincotto and tardivo radicchio - a great winter salad, the vincotto adding complexity to farro and squash.

Photo:  eggplant and ricotta

2 amys eggplant.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2018 at 4:06 PM, dpamlin said:

That sounds very Taylor Swift/Katy Perry-type snarky.  But I kind of like it too!

If you like VPN snark, you should check out the pizza episode of Ugly Delicious on Netflix.