2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - No Longer DOCG Pizza, but Who Cares?

I have no complaints about 2 Amys. The appetizers are terrific, the wine selection is very good, and the pizzas are still delicious, even taking advantage of seasonal ingredients, I've noticed.

Also the staff is wonderful. It seems that some of them have been there for years, which is always a good sign.

I have no complaints about 2 Amys. The appetizers are terrific, the wine selection is very good, and the pizzas are still delicious, even taking advantage of seasonal ingredients, I've noticed.

Also the staff is wonderful. It seems that some of them have been there for years, which is always a good sign.

Went for lunch today, and had been about a month ago with Shaggy. Both times the pizzas were very good, I thought. Service at the bar was terrific, and the meats they are offering are a nice addition to the menu. Today I had the special pizza--roasted ramps, sausage and Parmesan. Man, that was good--spicy and fresh ramps with a good deal of bite left to them, flavorful sausage and ample Parmesan.

I'm way too cautious to wade into the great pizza debate that rages on this site. All I wanted to add was that I had a couple of pretty damn good pizzas here.

Why can't 2 Amy's get their charcuterie right? It is one of my favorite places for an afternoon of meat, cheese and wine but their meats are not well cared for. The edges are dry and the meat is unevenly sliced. Please, someone help them!

On a brighter note, fava bean crostini are back ;)

the fava bean crostini are bright green and delicious.

however, the pizza here tonight has left a bitter taste in my mouth. it's bad enough that the bottom of the crust of our pizza was burnt to a crisp, and worse listening to our server explain that char comes with the pizza, but just about intolerable to receive a lecture from the floor manager about how some people don't like the way they char the pizzas at 2 amys. please, i have eaten at least a hundred pizzas here and have never run into anything remotely this bad before. this pizza should never have been served in the first place. so what the hell is 2 amys doing these days beligerently defending burnt pizzas to its customers? (believe me, after the entertaining little scene at our table, they were glad to see us leave; maybe i have been out too long in the sun.) ;)B):):blink::(

the fava bean crostini are bright green and delicious.

however, the pizza here tonight has left a bitter taste in my mouth. it's bad enough that the bottom of the crust of our pizza was burnt to a crisp, and worse listening to our server explain that char comes with the pizza, but just about intolerable to receive a lecture from the floor manager about how some people don't like the way they char the pizzas at 2 amys. please, i have eaten at least a hundred pizzas here and have never run into anything remotely this bad before. this pizza should never have been served in the first place. so what the hell is 2 amys doing these days beligerently defending burnt pizzas to its customers? (believe me, after the entertaining little scene at our table, they were glad to see us leave; maybe i have been out too long in the sun.) ;)B):):blink::(

My last pizza there was pretty damn good, but we were in just after opening and the place was empty. Usually I am concerned that the pizza is going to be undercooked. That said, I cannot believe that the floor manager acted in that manner. Very poor form. I guess they figure that they don't need the business. :blink: Did they correct things?

My last pizza there was pretty damn good, but we were in just after opening and the place was empty. Usually I am concerned that the pizza is going to be undercooked. That said, I cannot believe that the floor manager acted in that manner. Very poor form. I guess they figure that they don't need the business. ;) Did they correct things?

it was not crowded, either, when our pizzas emerged from the oven, so maybe they were having problems getting it going or there was some dirt on the floor. we ate one pizza, half-burnt, beyond char, but the second was well past saving, and the commotion began when our server, who had neglected our table entirely once the pizzas were presented (by the manager, who threw them down, grabbed our appetizer plates and ran off without replacing them), asked if we wanted the pizza wrapped up to take home. the manager actually returned to the table with the pizza to show us there was nothing wrong with it, and i had to flip it over to show her. this escalated into what in another restaurant might have been taken for a shouting match, except that the place had filled up by then and the dining room had turned into the playground it usually is. her final question: what to you want? my response: i don't want to pay for the pizza. actually, we would have been well within our rights to reject the first pizza as well, and we shouldn't have eaten it because the bitter taste of it lingered for some time.

we live close by and the only thing i don't like about 2 amys is that it gets too crowded and we have to be strategic about when we arrive if we don't want to wait -- the same thing that can be said about a lot of good, or even better than good, restaurants, such as palena cafe. however, i really don't enjoy confrontations like this -- i have only had maybe half a dozen of them at restaurants in my entire life. all i had been expecting when i talked to the server was for the pizza to be taken off the bill -- not to be dressed down and basically told that we were the ones with the problem. i was reading last week that this is a pizza factory. i would agree, but it is the best pizza factory around. i understand that things can go wrong, and it didn't even bother me that the place was at least slightly out of control while we were there, which i was able to observe the minute we walked through the door. afterwards, we went home and watched dogs on television for two hours and it reminded me of the dynamics that had wrecked our meal at 2 amys. it's a people problem, i was one of the people, i'll admit it, but it is going to take me a long while before i feel up to returning to this place.

Agreed -- that treatment was inexcusable. But I think it's important to add that it's anomalous. Generally, the servers and "managers" (the hosts?) are extraordinarily gracious and helpful, and friendly, often under great pressure. It's part of what makes 2 Amys such an (almost) perfect neighborhood restaurant. Which is not to say that they're perfect -- no one is. And your experience last week actually reflects the restaurant's primary fault -- that although the pizzas are *usually* fabulous, there is too much inconsistency in both directions (over- and under-baked) in the post-MacQuaid era. I think the variables are (i) how slammed the restaurant is and (ii) who is manning the oven. There are one or two guys there who are reliable, and when I see them I'm confident of a good pie; others seem not to be able to regulate the timing and temperature adequately.

it was not crowded, either, when our pizzas emerged from the oven, so maybe they were having problems getting it going or there was some dirt on the floor. we ate one pizza, half-burnt, beyond char, but the second was well past saving, and the commotion began when our server, who had neglected our table entirely once the pizzas were presented (by the manager, who threw them down, grabbed our appetizer plates and ran off without replacing them), asked if we wanted the pizza wrapped up to take home. the manager actually returned to the table with the pizza to show us there was nothing wrong with it, and i had to flip it over to show her. this escalated into what in another restaurant might have been taken for a shouting match, except that the place had filled up by then and the dining room had turned into the playground it usually is. her final question: what to you want? my response: i don't want to pay for the pizza. actually, we would have been well within our rights to reject the first pizza as well, and we shouldn't have eaten it because the bitter taste of it lingered for some time.

we live close by and the only thing i don't like about 2 amys is that it gets too crowded and we have to be strategic about when we arrive if we don't want to wait -- the same thing that can be said about a lot of good, or even better than good, restaurants, such as palena cafe. however, i really don't enjoy confrontations like this -- i have only had maybe half a dozen of them at restaurants in my entire life. all i had been expecting when i talked to the server was for the pizza to be taken off the bill -- not to be dressed down and basically told that we were the ones with the problem. i was reading last week that this is a pizza factory. i would agree, but it is the best pizza factory around. i understand that things can go wrong, and it didn't even bother me that the place was at least slightly out of control while we were there, which i was able to observe the minute we walked through the door. afterwards, we went home and watched dogs on television for two hours and it reminded me of the dynamics that had wrecked our meal at 2 amys. it's a people problem, i was one of the people, i'll admit it, but it is going to take me a long while before i feel up to returning to this place.

...her final question: what to you want? my response: i don't want to pay for the pizza. actually, we would have been well within our rights to reject the first pizza as well, and we shouldn't have eaten it because the bitter taste of it lingered for some time.
So what happened? did they take it off your bill?

So what happened? did they take it off your bill?

yes, they did take it off the bill -- without conceding there was anything wrong with it and not until after it was back in my face, instead of the trash where it belonged, and i was asked to explain myself. hey, it was definitely anomalous -- one bad time after many, many good ones. people make mistakes and if we had to start over, things probably would have been handled differently by both sides. even so, small as it may be in the infinite scheme of things, it still rankles.

Over the past year or so, I have noticed that a good deal of servers/hosts/managers have become a bit more testy (is that how you spell testy?). It has been pervasive throughout all of the restaurants that I have been dining at - hole in the walls, chains, fine dining, etc. Not sure why, although I think some of it has to do with the general rude nature of customers. Not saying that you were in this situation at all, just as I have not been over the past year or so, but when servers/hosts/managers deal with crap all day long, sometimes they snap on a perfectly good customer for no real reason. Not that this makes it right, this actually is worse than snapping on the person that is being a pain in the ass for no good reason, but that may be why I have been seeing it more lately.

The best reason to go to 2 Amy's is the incredibly fast service and their wonderful daily specials. Although their crust isn't my favorite, their "signature" pizzas and their topping combinations for their special pizzas use better ingredients and just have more refinement than other places. Like tonite, one of the special pizzas had cockles, pancetta, artichokes, garlic, and grana. It was so good. For appetizers, roasted root vegetables with vin cotto, smoked ricotta with arugula, and an order of suppli (their deep-fried cheese and rice balls). With a couple great beers, it was an awesome meal for a good price. And we had our food in less than 10 minutes! We can be in and out of there within an hour, which we really appreciate now that we're parents who are paranoid about having our kid melt down in a public place. We love that 2 Amy's is also kid-friendly, and liked this aspect even when we were childless. But the variety and freshness of the food, not just the pizzas, is definitely why we return again and again.

Went around three weeks ago and enjoyed it. My wife had the meatball pizza while I constructed my own with buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto and some other tasties. I liked being able to arrive and get seated quickly. One of the things that keeps me away from this place is the crowds during anything remotely close to prime time and the fact they take no reservations and there is no place to stand to wait.

We went Saturday night around 7:45 knowing that we were in for a long wait. Happily, despite being told it would be a 45 minute wait, we were seated in just 15.

The highlight of the meal, other than my usual margarita extra and burreta, were the roasted chickpeas. These were fresh chickpeas, roasted in the pod and served with "sexy salt." They looked similar to edemame but had a delicious nutty flavor. My only complaint was they were sitting in a lot of olive oil. It never occurred to me that you could cook with fresh chickpeas. Does anyone have any clue where I may find them?

Dessert was rhubarb chocolate chip ice cream. Rich and creamy as always but the rhubarb flavor really didn't come through.

It never occurred to me that you could cook with fresh chickpeas. Does anyone have any clue where I may find them?

In the past, I have found them at Super H in Fairfax, and Han a Reum (now H Mart) in Merrifield, and I also have seen them at Halalco in Falls Church. I haven't been to any or those places in a long time, so I can't tell you if they have them now.

I know I'm not alone in saying this: the ice cream at 2 Amys is - bar none - the best I've ever had. I'd kill for a scoop of their stracciatella right now.

But one flavor I haven't seen in a while is their mint chocolate chip. If you haven't tried it, trust me: it will change the way you look at ice-cream forever. Has anyone seen it on the menu recently?

-Owen

if by any luck this weekend is as good as last weekend, you can have your okra fried into pale gold and sand dry shells with the semblance of ammo for space-age muskets. the pods inside are left an amazingly vibrant green. then strike up conversation with an open baguette veal tongue panino made lively by pickled red onions, some hot red cherry pepper and green sauce, topped with a chorus line of sliced boiled egg. this is not the easiest thing in the world to pick up and eat, but it is falling-apart good enough to make you forget the pizza. the meat, which i guess is poached though i have never cooked a tongue, is mild in flavor, and softly textured with the occasionial capillary. which reminds me of a story in which, years ago, my wife, then a teenager, invited by a diplomatic family across the street to a picnic at the beach, was provided with a tongue sandwich not to her liking, probably without even trying it because she was not about to taste anything that could taste her back, although she claims it wasn't peeled, and as inconspicuously as possible, buried it in the sand. a good pale raspberry panna cotta quivered on the dessert plate in a caramel that was cooked almost too short, but tasted close to a honey when it hit up against the creamy pudding.

(the next night, or was it the night before, we went to palena, where the cafe menus almost went out with hotdogs on them, and the fazzoletti -- folded supple pasta in a buttery sauce with cherry tomatoes -- were great. sure, there's nothing wrong with the pasta they pile on at olazzo, and you probably can't make it much cheaper at home, but you can make it better. the squid we had one early evening was as tender as you can get it, but the bethesda dining room is so dark as a cave, even under the flickering light from the faux fireplace, that you wouldn't be suprised to see bats flying out everything someone opens the door.)

I am curious if anyone agrees with me that the bar stools in cafe area in the back are some of the most uncomfortable in town? The wicker, or caned stools have a sunken seat and the support rim around the edges dig into the back of my thighs. I love stopping by on the way home from work on nights that my wife is out of town and dining at the bar. The small plates prep area is great to gaze at while making selections and the bar staff is great. Do they make it uncomfortable to hang out back there on purpose?

I am curious if anyone agrees with me that the bar stools in cafe area in the back are some of the most uncomfortable in town? The wicker, or caned stools have a sunken seat and the support rim around the edges dig into the back of my thighs. I love stopping by on the way home from work on nights that my wife is out of town and dining at the bar. The small plates prep area is great to gaze at while making selections and the bar staff is great. Do they make it uncomfortable to hang out back there on purpose?

The chairs there, in general, are the worst that I ever remember sitting in. And, it really sucks because 2 Amy's is a place where I could sit down and eat for a few hours, ordering a little bit here and a little bit there.

i dig peter pastan and have logged many an hour on seat H -- far-left bar stool -- but yeah, the uncomfortableness is most assuredly on purpose (read: turns). same reason there's no piped-in jazz or effort to dim the din.

but as you alluded, it's a small price to pay to watch scott plate the small plates. he's a sweetie.

has anyone had the cold smoked salmon bagel on sunday? ask nicely during the week and he might serve you a few slices of lox. it's divine.

i dig peter pastan and have logged many an hour on seat H -- far-left bar stool -- but yeah, the uncomfortableness is most assuredly on purpose (read: turns). same reason there's no piped-in jazz or effort to dim the din.

but as you alluded, it's a small price to pay to watch scott plate the small plates. he's a sweetie.

Ah ha, you spill the beans. How well do you know Scott? I mean, I love the guy, but I wouldn't call him a sweetie. I had always said that if he and I and a few other ex-2amys kitchen thugs should start a band, we could call it; Scottie to Hottie and The Cranky Curmudgeons...

Stopped in last night and sampled some items I haven't seen on the menu in the past. All were incredible, but one stood out. Suckling pig head salad. Wow! The head meat varied from light pink to closer to red. Most of the dish was meat, but it was peppered with a bit of cabbage (I'm pretty certain), some carrot, and some orange zest. Dressed with vinegar, this dish offered a great balance of tart and slight sweetness and bitterness. The meat was spongy in a wonderful way (slightly reminiscent of tongue) and the firm pork worked well with the crisp carrot and cabbage. If you like offal or other unconventional meats, you gotta give this a whirl.

Other highlights of the evening were sweet English peas with Pecorino and mint. Those coulda used a bit more mint, but were otherwise nicely flavorful. A sardine and leek tart was also excellent. It included egg and potato and was rather rich.

Went to 2 Amy's for an early dinner tonight. This is a bustling restaurant. A few minutes after we sat down, the girl by the door was already taking down names for the waitlist. The potato croquette was flavorful, but nothing extrodinary, and the outter crust was a bit too hard. I got the meatball pizza and the husband went for the Norcia (salami, tomato, grilled pepper). I didn't like my pizza at all, the meatball was dry and the pecorino was too salty to use on a pizza. The Norcia on the other hand was ultra tasty. I especially liked the sweetness of the grilled peppers. To end the meal, we got the cannoli and the raspberry penacotta. Both were delicious. The cannoli shell was light and crisp. The penacotta was not too sweet, perfect for me since I don't like sugary sweet deserts. The service was minimal as expected in a busy informal place like this. They take your orders, they bring you food, you get your water refilled, and that's it.

I had an enjoyable lunch at the bar at Two Amys this afternoon, my first visit. I hadn't expected all of the non-pizza items, and decided to try some charcuterie and cheese before my pie. I had the excellent prociutto di parma, lardo (I'd never had this before...maybe I'm not getting it, but I found the flavor a bit underwhelming, which didn't help with the guilt of consuming basically pure fat), and an interesting semi hard cheese called barilotto. All washed down with a very nice (if not the most generous pour of) Montepulciano.

I wanted to try their pizza at its most basic, so ordered a simple margharita, which I thought was delicious. I liked the slightly charred crust, and it wasn't too too soupy in the middle, which is an issue I know some people have complained about before (though it seems to me like they could really solve this issue if they just strained the tomatos a bit...maybe it's against the DOC rules).

After about forty five minutes I was happily full from the meal and was beginning to lose circulation in my legs from the bar stool, so I knew it was time to go. All in all an enjoyable meal. Not perfect, but enjoyable, and certainly worth a few more visits (in the dining room...on proper chairs) to explore the rest of the menu.

Nice dinner here last night - always good pizza (I had the 2 Amys with the addition of grilled peppers) and salt cod croquettes. Also tried the sheep's riccota with pine nuts and special honey (eucalyptus - maybe?) which was very creamy and good. Exceptional was the duck prosciutto sliced so thin it was translucent and it almost melted on your tongue - first time having it and it was oh so good. However, the duck comes with a lentil salad which is ok - but doesn't add anything or seem to go well with the duck. So get the duck and push off the lentils.

the list of small plates seemed to be thinning down this winter, but on the new menu last night it was as long as i remember ever seeing it. a shrimp and white bean salad in olive oil speckled with lemon and orange zest, green herbal confetti and a sneeze of red pepper was a paragon of the refined rustic simplicity that shows this kitchen at its best. it was also mildly and satisfyingly fishier, or shrimpier, than you might expect. (is this a trend? in a visit a month or two ago, the oval room seemed to be making an effort to make fish taste fishier, or does this take no effort at all?) a special small plate of lamb meatballs, with a hint of cinnamon and packed with a few raisins, was bathing in a mellow yet sturdy, strained, smooth tomato sauce. there is enough of it to toss with a mound of spaghetti and too much to mash into the meat, but unfortunately there is not a strand in sight at this kitchen that i know of. however, the sauce is good enough to eat with a spoon if you are hungry. carrot cake was a dessert variation on the meatballs, similarly brown and flecked with ingredients, though a different shape, a little crusty, a little chewy to lend it a nice sweet spine.

I was there yesterday also. There small plates at lunch were a bit smaller. They also don't warm their almonds anymore, which I found disappointing. On the upside their pizza was much better than I ever remembered. There toppings were plentiful and their crust was not burned....(for a change)

As if 2 Amys needs any more confirmation of its greatness, three friends and I just had a fantastic dinner there:

Suppli a Telefono: These were really good, though they honestly don't compare to the ones in Rome. The 2 Amys version is smaller, rounder, and more crisp. While the crispness of the breading on the outside is good, the lack of moisture on the inside detracts from the flavor. Plus the little cubes of mozzarella in the center hadn't quite melted, while in Rome they're always deliciously gooey (the name is a result of the way the mozzarella stretches, like a telephone cord, when you rip the balls in half).

After the appetizer, we split four pizzas:

Margherita: Delicious as expected. How can you complain about buffalo mozzarella, tomato sauce, and basil, especially when it's sitting on a perfectly cooked, thin, chewy crust?

2 Amys: To my surprise, I found myself enjoying this one even more than the Margherita. Their fresh mozzarella is very good.

Abruzzese: I think this one was my favorite. The meatballs were decent, but what I really loved was the combination of sauce, pecorino, and and garlic. I'd seen reviews that mentioned the pecorino being too salty and overpowering, and I couldn't disagree more.

Custom - White: Garlic, Mozzarella, and Ricotta - I love white pizza, and the ricotta on this one was great. It would have benefited from some more garlic, and some sort of salty addition. Usually when I make white pizza at home I love to put shrimp on it because they give that kick of flavor to break up all the cheese, but that wasn't an option, and since we had a vegetarian we wanted to stick to only one meat pizza. Meatballs, sausage, or pepperoni probably would have all been good additions, along with either some grana or some pecorino.

In the end the check was only $53 - $15 a person. Can't wait to go back and try some others (tonight's specials weren't all too interesting, but I'm eager to try the Vongole). Of course, considering that there's a wood-burning, brick oven in my backyard back home in NJ, I'll have the chance to think up my own crazy concoctions in just a few weeks. And I've got to say, even though 2 Amys makes a mean Neapolitan pizza, my dad's got them beat. Freshly made mozzarella and lobster pizza is like a taste of heaven.

burned crust...?

that's the whole reason to go... slight bitterness, if I wanted a pizza without black burned bubbles I'd go to some place that finds that unacceptable(i.e. any other non authentic pizza chain across the wide span of america) the black bits are what makes it good! GRANTED! i know I wasn't there and didn't sample the same pizza but at the same time;

the restaurant is an original. One that dares to serve "suckling pig head salad" and doesn't think twice about it.

that's why the restaurant is so damn booked, they do what they want and it's damn good every time I've been there, 40 plus times...

this place isn't a fine dining establishment, you're getting a deal and a real italian pizza.

no matter what backyard pizza was made in childhood... In italy it tastes pretty much like this. (at least when I lived and worked there)...

I eat there as much as I possibly can because the food is so great and unpretentious. Where else can I get real dry cured meat that hangs out next the bar?? they do it there man!!! that's what's so awesome! charcuterie aged in house right next to your face! not to knock; but haven't had a bad experience yet.

I could be a little tickled by this place but I honestly think everyone should...

They bring a true slice of not only italy, but european way of dining to the dc dining scene. A gem. one of my favorites and will be for a long time...

burned crust...?

that's the whole reason to go... slight bitterness, if I wanted a pizza without black burned bubbles I'd go to some place that finds that unacceptable(i.e. any other non authentic pizza chain across the wide span of america) the black bits are what makes it good! GRANTED! i know I wasn't there and didn't sample the same pizza but at the same time;

the restaurant is an original. One that dares to serve "suckling pig head salad" and doesn't think twice about it.

that's why the restaurant is so damn booked, they do what they want and it's damn good every time I've been there, 40 plus times...

this place isn't a fine dining establishment, you're getting a deal and a real italian pizza.

no matter what backyard pizza was made in childhood... In italy it tastes pretty much like this. (at least when I lived and worked there)...

I eat there as much as I possibly can because the food is so great and unpretentious. Where else can I get real dry cured meat that hangs out next the bar?? they do it there man!!! that's what's so awesome! charcuterie aged in house right next to your face! not to knock; but haven't had a bad experience yet.

I could be a little tickled by this place but I honestly think everyone should...

They bring a true slice of not only italy, but european way of dining to the dc dining scene. A gem. one of my favorites and will be for a long time...

I can't tell if that was in response to my post or not. Either way, I agree it's both delicious and a bargain, but what you should keep in mind about so-called "real Italian pizza" is that the definition of the term varies immensely depending on where you are in Italy. In Rome, pizza is not served anything like 2 Amys. The crust is far thinner and crispier, unlike the chewy Neapolitan crust made at 2 Amys, and the difference this makes is truly stark. Neapolitan style is the kind my dad makes, since that's the area of Italy where he was born and grew up prior to coming here, and I tend to prefer it. On top of those two categories, you've got Pizza al Taglio, which is the pizza sold fast-food style in Rome. It's cooked in giant rectangles, cut into smaller ones, and sold by weight on just about every street corner. That also tastes completely different. Then there's Sicilian pizza, and I'm sure a whole bunch of others I've never even seen...

But yeah, 2 Amys is pretty fantastic. I've yet to try any of the other major pizza places in the DC area though (Ella's, Matchbox, Comet Ping Pong), so I'm looking forward to comparing when I get a chance.

We hadn't had dinner at 2 Amys in about five months since moving. Prior to that we had dinner (or brunch) there almost weekly, so I was looking forward to seeing how it had held up. I was happy to see that, if anything, 2 Amys had improved since our last visits.

We had the fava bean crostini and the suppli as starters. The crostini had changed, with three smaller pieces of crostini now replaced with two larger pieces. More importantly, the amount of fava bean puree on these had increased dramatically. This is such a good starter, and one that we ordered regularly, and I think it has improved.

The suppli were as good as always. They seemed crispier than I remembered them, but it could have just been our order.

We had a Margherita extra, and loved it. The crust is not as charred as it once was, I think--those days at 2 Amys appear to be gone, but the mozzarella di bufala, the basil, the crust, and the tomato sauce blend just perfectly.

Finally, our service was good. We'd had some minor issues with 2 Amy service the last few times we were there--disappearing servers (even at brunch, when the restaurant was just starting to fill up), incorrect orders, etc. It was never anything major. Our service on Friday evening, though, was efficient and friendly.

Now we just need to find more excuses to be in that neighborhood so that we can go back...

While the food was still good, there was a heavy hand in the kitchen last night. The crust on the abruzzese pizza was sturdier than lately and not curling up at the end, but the pie was salty enough that we were wondering if it would make our feet swell. We ordered it, though, mostly to roll around the meatballs. A plank of tender room temperature eggplant at first resembled something fished out of the ocean, but it had a hard time swimming free of an oversaucing of syrupy vincotto. Sweeter yet was the eggplant marmalade overwhelming roast lamb on an open-faced panino. Slathered on thick, its flavor was drenched in sugar and it would have been better in a hazelnut butter and jelly sandwich. Crostini painted with brilliant green pureed fava beans and shaved pecorino was the most successful of the small dishes that came to our table. Simplicity had a hard time shining as hard as it usually does here, and it was maybe not the best time for a visit from one of the city’s cap-wearing, youngest star chefs.

Stopped by 2 Amys last night around 8 on the way to a party. The restaurant was packed so we did not bother stopping. At 9:45, on our way home, the restaurant did have a few tables open so we finally got a taste of 2 Amys. We ordered 3 pizzas - margherita, vongole, and the calzone-like Ripieno Extra. They served sparking wine but in a normal water glass. The pizzas were terrific. Nothing gloppy about them but I'm still not sure if they really needed the last second drizzle of olive oil. Loved the thin, chewy, and well seasoned crust. Loved the fresh basil on the margherita pie. The best pizza I've had in DC (much better than Pizza Paradiso or Bebo, but we haven't been to many of the highly touted pizza joints such as Comet or Pete's).

Off day at 2 Amys, which as everyone knows happens here from time to time. We ordered an app, a salad, and a pizza to split between the two of us. The app and the salad came out together, which was just fine, but these were then followed in about five minutes by our pizza. I mentioned that it was pretty fast, and the person (not our server) told us that the pizzas come out of the oven hot, and they need to cool down. We've been to 2 Amys more than 50 times, and had never had our meal paced this poorly. At lunch time, without a full house, this was disappointing. Our server was of the 'take your order and never return to your table' variety. Of course we'll be back--nothing so egregious to put us off of 2 Amys, but always a disappointment when this restaurant underperforms like this.

Off day at 2 Amys, which as everyone knows happens here from time to time. We ordered an app, a salad, and a pizza to split between the two of us. The app and the salad came out together, which was just fine, but these were then followed in about five minutes by our pizza. I mentioned that it was pretty fast, and the person (not our server) told us that the pizzas come out of the oven hot, and they need to cool down. We've been to 2 Amys more than 50 times, and had never had our meal paced this poorly. At lunch time, without a full house, this was disappointing. Our server was of the 'take your order and never return to your table' variety. Of course we'll be back--nothing so egregious to put us off of 2 Amys, but always a disappointment when this restaurant underperforms like this.

I've actually found this to be the norm at 2 Amys (i.e., everything arrives right on top of each other) and have learned to never order the mains until the apps are half-finished.

Refer also to Cork.

I think it's imperative for the diner to proactively take control of the pacing at both of these restaurants.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Dined at 2 Amy's Sat night and once again this place proved why it is one of my favorite places to eat. I can't refute complaints read here and elsewhere about the lack of ambiance, the Romper Room type atmosphere that pervades at times, the cacaphonous noise level, and the uneven pacing of meals. But I find those things matter little when I am eating transcendent fresh buffalo burrata and simple yet perfect margarherita pizza, washed down with a cold Moretti. This place is awesome and i'll never stop coming back.

Dined at 2 Amy's Sat night and once again this place proved why it is one of my favorite places to eat. I can't refute complaints read here and elsewhere about the lack of ambiance, the Romper Room type atmosphere that pervades at times, the cacaphonous noise level, and the uneven pacing of meals. But I find those things matter little when I am eating transcendent fresh buffalo burrata and simple yet perfect margarherita pizza, washed down with a cold Moretti. This place is awesome and i'll never stop coming back.

I, too, have found the food delivered to your table without appetizer-then-pizza pacing. I always make sure to order drinks, then apps, then pizza, or I get everything all at once. I'm sure they do this for quick table turnover. Still, one of my favorite places to eat (even with a 20+ minute wait at 10pm on a Friday).

I had lunch at 2 Amys last week. The restaurant was less than half full. It took the waitress a good 20 minutes to acknowledge us and take our order. Our pizzas arrived less than 5 minutes later. The waitress stopped by when we were just about finished eating to make sure it all came out the way we wanted it to and then disappeared again. Oddly, she offered us drink refills at the same time she brought the check.

On the positive side, our pizzas were excellent. The last few times I've been there, they've been gloppy.

Had a late lunch at 2 Amy's today, ordered the Etna (extra crispy) with a glass of the Caltaldi Madonna Montepulciano. The pizza was perfect (I generally order my pies extra crispy there and have never had an issue with the gloppiness that others have mentioned). I'm also a big fan of the goat cheese and salmon crostino. I don't think you can beat the place in the late afternoon when its relatively child-free.

Closed out the meal with a nice limoncello, I wish I could get my hands on the recipe they use.

Wifey and I went to 2 *mys last night before seeing Harry Potter at the Uptown. We shared an Etna pie, olives, and salt cod croquettes. I also had a beer that was served in the appropriate glassware and at the right temp. Big kudos for that. The salt cod croquettes were moist with a nice crispy crust. The olives are not much to get excited about, but are fun to munch on. The pizza was stunning and darn near perfect. We live in New Haven CT and 6rank Pepes can't competem

Dan

Wifey and I went to 2 *mys last night before seeing Harry Potter at the Uptown. We shared an Etna pie, olives, and salt cod croquettes. I also had a beer that was served in the appropriate glassware and at the right temp. Big kudos for that. The salt cod croquettes were moist with a nice crispy crust. The olives are not much to get excited about, but are fun to munch on. The pizza was stunning and darn near perfect. We live in New Haven CT and 6rank Pepes can't competem

Dan

Pepe's can't compete with Two Amys? Are you serious? What about Sally's or Modern?

Pepe's can't compete with Two Amys? Are you serious? What about Sally's or Modern?

Quite serious. Pepes is good but has become a chain and has suffered in quality. Besides, who wants to wait 2 hours in line for a pizza? Modern's pizza has been constantly soggy. I honestly have no comment on Sally's as every time we want to go there, they are closed.

It strikes me that Pepe's and 2 Amy's are significantly different in style and aim to as to make direct comparisons problematic.

FWIW my stops at Pepe's have been at off hours, with no line and -- perhaps because it was a calmer time of day -- good quality.

It strikes me that Pepe's and 2 Amy's are significantly different in style and aim to as to make direct comparisons problematic.

FWIW my stops at Pepe's have been at off hours, with no line and -- perhaps because it was a calmer time of day -- good quality.

They are more alike than you realize. They are both Neopolitian style pizza restaurants that use brick ovens. 2 Amys is more authentic in the style than Frank Pepes given their DOC status. The other major difference is that 2 Amys uses wood to fire their oven while Pepe's uses coal.

Dan

Actually, the original owner of Pepe's may be from Naples, (I don't know), but there is nothing "Neapolitan" about the pizza there. The differences in style are to numerous to list...

Not saying it's a bad pizza, it's just not really comparable to Neapolitan pizzeria, (which now that I think about it, means that it is comparable to 2amys, because they don't make a true Neapolitan pizza either.) :rolleyes: