Stretch

2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - Open Again, Mon, Sep 24

my husband and i were there last nite and had potato and prosciutto croquettes (crispy on the outside, smooth and rich, parsleyed potato puree with prosciutto pieces on the inside), then the Abrusseze (meatball) and the special bresaola, garlic and arugula pizzas (salty brined meat and the bitter arugula are a great combo). the other special of the day pizza was an anchovy, asparagus, grana concoction that i shied away from because 2 amy's does not skimp on their anchovies. have to be in the mood for that much salty fishiness. while cutting our pizzas, we had a good chuckle over Don's post about the dull knives. :) ah well, it's a good way to tone the arms. :angry:

Oh my God! It was perfect. I had the Margherita. Crisp to the tooth, yet still a touch soft. Just a hint of tangy sauce, a spare bit of superb cheese, whole basil leaves. I've never been to Naples, so I can't compare, but that pizza was righteous. A symphony coaxed from such a few ingredients.

I also had some boar salami that was extraordinary in and of itself. Had I more time, I would have availed myself to the entire antipasta menu.

I overheard two of the cooks talking how their ducks just hatched.

Cook 1:"They're Mallards"

Cook 2: "Mallards, not Muscovy?"

Cook 1: "Nope, Mallards. The ones with the green heads," rubbing his head for added affect. "Peter says their good eating"

And Rocks, they had some seemingly new serrated steak knives at all place settings and strategically placed pizza cutters (at least on the bar).

Superb.

And Rocks, they had some seemingly new serrated steak knives at all place settings and strategically placed pizza cutters (at least on the bar).

They also have them at about every table in the place too! The power of Rocks!

New on the menu: warm ricotta tart with Sorrento lemon ice cream. The tart has a lightly sweetened, slightly fluffy ricotta filling in a very short crust. The ice cream is just barely sweet enough to keep your mouth from puckering.

:unsure: Lemon ice cream - my favorite.

New on the menu: warm ricotta tart with Sorrento lemon ice cream. The tart has a lightly sweetened, slightly fluffy ricotta filling in a very short crust. The ice cream is just barely sweet enough to keep your mouth from puckering.

:unsure: Lemon ice cream - my favorite.

I had this dessert last night - the lemon ice cream hit the spot, especially given the swampy heat outside (the 2-block walk from the parking spot was painful), but I thought it overpowered the tart (which, for my taste at least, was a bit overcooked - the crust was more than a few shades past golden-brown). As tasty as the lemon was, 2A's Mint Chocolate Chip is still my favorite - it's like no mint ice cream I've ever had, earthy as well as sweet, no industrial mint extract in sight.

For dinner, we started with the suppli, which has won out over the salt-cod fried appetizer as our standard, then I had the basic pizza with tomatoes and eggplant (which I wouldn't recommend to someone who likes a drier pizza, but fortunately, I'm usually in the "extra sauce" camp -- which, I know, is a controversial and inauthentic camp). My fiance had pesto and one of the special ingredients, grilled green onions, on his pizza - the onions were huge and served whole, so we had an extra step cutting them up and distributing them more equitably on the pizza. As always, we had to be rolled out, only to find ourselves eating the leftovers two hours later.

I keep going back to 2 Amys because the pizza is great, but I also love the specials. On Saturday night, they had a panini with rapini, roasted lamb, and eggplant marmalade. It was very tasty and so different than what I usually eat. My dining companions kept laughing at me as I was dumbfounded by this sandwich. The lamb was a nice big slice almost like fresh roast beef and the rapini was bright, crunchy and slightly bitter. I think what made the combo so unusual to me was the cold marmalade that consisted of cooked and macerated eggplant, some sugar I think (it was sweet) and some hot chili flakes. Overall delicious and different. If you were like me for a long time and only ordered pizza at 2 Amys, I highly recommend branching out to the specials menu.

I keep going back to 2 Amys because the pizza is great, but I also love the specials. On Saturday night, they had a panini with rapini, roasted lamb, and eggplant marmalade. It was very tasty and so different than what I usually eat. My dining companions kept laughing at me as I was dumbfounded by this sandwich. The lamb was a nice big slice almost like fresh roast beef and the rapini was bright, crunchy and slightly bitter. I think what made the combo so unusual to me was the cold marmalade that consisted of cooked and macerated eggplant, some sugar I think (it was sweet) and some hot chili flakes. Overall delicious and different. If you were like me for a long time and only ordered pizza at 2 Amys, I highly recommend branching out to the specials menu.

Funny you should mention, we have been several times with the thought that we'd share a panini and a pizza (last night, we very nearly ordered a smoked mackeral panini), but when it comes right down to it, the pizza is too hard to pass up. Next time, we'll have to strengthen our resolve.

Lunch today:

red wine, I forget which one

anchovies, bread & butter

deviled eggs with green sauce

lemon marinated picholine olives

vongole pizza

special pizza with peppers, hot & sweet sausages

plain cheese pizza and vanilla ice cream for young Mr. Shorter

lemon thyme ice cream...warning profanity ahead...that is some seriously fucking good ice cream.

All of it was delicious and I am kicking myself for not going before.

Took advantage of my kids and most of Washington being out of town last weekend sneak over to the bar at 2 Amy's -- for my money, far more comfortable than the crush of the nain dining room on a Friday night, even people do have to reach around for their drinks (as they, unlike me, wait and wait...). If nothing else, I just enjoy watching the two 'tenders (Scott and Sarah?) dance nimbly around each other as they keep the the vino and the prosciutto flowing.

Unlike, apparently, every other yuppie in the 202, 301 or 703 area codes, I'm still not willing to drink the cool aid on the pizza. Get me to Vace. But the rest of the menu, cured in the basement and scrawledon blackboards, is spectacuar. Marinated sardines -- these guys have a way with kind of fish that would people who say they don't like their fish "fishy" tasting run screaming from the restaurant. Damn right it tastes fishy, the god and the Sardinians meant marinated sardines to taste. The wrapped a rabbit around something, then wrapped pancetta around the rabbit, roasting it and serving it with pickled rhubarb that tatsed slightly of cinnamon. Lardo. Can anything be better than uncookedpork fat? Actually,one modest complaint here -- there was a little too much meat in the fat. Don't you hate meaty lardo? And the cheeses, of course: something old, something "pew," something borrowed and something bleu.

Pizza? I think we had some of that, too.

we stopped by last week.....had the meatballs as usual and some very nice fresh mozzarella, drizzled w/ olive oil and sea salt and a little lemon zest....very nice and perfect for summer

did the arucola and pancetta pizza....slightly less aurcola and slightly more pancetta that usual made brr a happy camper (pancetta seemed very salty tho'....)

Unlike, apparently, every other yuppie in the 202, 301 or 703 area codes, I'm still not willing to drink the cool aid on the pizza.
Yeah, yeah. We all know how contrary you are.

It's very good pizza, but does not make good leftovers.

Quick question. My wife and I love 2 Amys, but when we tried to go the other night , we discovered that there's now a security guard in the big lot behind the restaurant where we usually park. We always use that lot when we go. Credit the guy for warning everyone that they would be towed if they tried to park there, but there was literally no other place to park within a four block radius. After cruising around for ten or fifteen minutes--along with many other frustrated would-be diners--we gave up and went elsewhere.

Anyone else have this problem and, if so, what's the solution? Is there another parking area nearby for those of us who have to drive in from the 'burbs?

Quick question. My wife and I love 2 Amys, but when we tried to go the other night , we discovered that there's now a security guard in the big lot behind the restaurant where we usually park. We always use that lot when we go. Credit the guy for warning everyone that they would be towed if they tried to park there, but there was literally no other place to park within a four block radius. After cruising around for ten or fifteen minutes--along with many other frustrated would-be diners--we gave up and went elsewhere.

Anyone else have this problem and, if so, what's the solution? Is there another parking area nearby for those of us who have to drive in from the 'burbs?

I have luck out by finding street parking, you really have to go early. I saw the guard the last time I was there, that lot was my normal parking spot. I am not sure why Giant needs such a large lot. I have never seen that lot full!

Park on the other side of Wisconsin Ave, back amongst the rich people with driveways, and an apparently significant mental distance -- though not physically far -- from the strip.

That guard has been there for a couple of years. I always park in that lot - the key is to park on the other side close to Newark Street so she (it's always a she) doesn't see your car, and casually amble past. If she says something to the effect of "if you parked in the lot, you'll be towed," simply smile, give a quick nod, and say "thanks" while you keep walking. I think the key here is to be discrete and casual, like you're someone just living in the neighborhood and cutting through - being towed has not once crossed my mind, and I've parked there dozens of times. If you're really worried about it, walk up Newark to Wisconsin (like you're going to Giant), and then cut back down Macomb. As an absolute last resort, jump up and down while tousling your hair, then drop to your hands and knees and start crawling around, screaming out, "I'm just looking for Macomb! Has anyone seen Macomb?"

Okay, now as soon as I type this someone will be towed. I'm just reporting on what I've observed to date, so don't blame me! :unsure:

Cheers,

Rocks.

I never park in the Giant lot--overwhelming fear of being towed...

I drop of Mr. BLB to get us on the list while I drive around aimlessly looking for a parking space for 10-20 minutes.

Or more often, he is so horrified by the wait that he rushes back out to the car and we give up and go to Dino or Palena.

Jennifer

Giant now has multiple security guards - spotted them swarming like mosquitos two weeks ago. I think they mean business finally. If you're willing to walk an extra block, it's usually fruitful to cross Wisconsin and park on Newark.

Heather - you're right about the pizza. Terrible as leftovers. The small bit of cheese pretty much evaporates, and the crust gets even thinner.

Heather - you're right about the pizza. Terrible as leftovers. The small bit of cheese pretty much evaporates, and the crust gets even thinner.
I was surprised, actually, at how poorly it reheated.

I want to know what kind of anchovies I had. They were excellent. And I have to go back and try the meats and cheeses.

Those anchovies are da bomb. Shogun and I weren't too keen on the sardines, which we found overly vinegary (though this may have been altered in the last couple of weeks). Is the smoked sturgeon still on the small plates list? It's excellent.

Those anchovies are da bomb. Shogun and I weren't too keen on the sardines, which we found overly vinegary (though this may have been altered in the last couple of weeks). Is the smoked sturgeon still on the small plates list? It's excellent.
The smoked sturgeon wasn't there yesterday that I can remember. The anchovies might be the best I've ever tasted.

The smoked sturgeon wasn't there yesterday that I can remember. The anchovies might be the best I've ever tasted.

The small bites menu consisted of the following as far as I can remember last night:

Caponata Crostini

Smoked Scallop and Anchovy? Crostini

Smoked Sturgeon

Anchovies

Grilled Fennel

Octopus Salad

Argh! My mind is drawing a blank. There was a lot more than that and I'm usually better at recalling menus -- perhaps I need more coffee. There was definitely no rabbit or pork rillette, much to my chagrin.

Also on the specials was a fried zucchini crochette that was to die for. Special dessert was the vanilla panna cotta. And, I don't know if anyone else has tried the Burrata di Buffala, but it's by far the creamiest mozzarella I've ever had. They simply top it with olive oil and sea salt and I eat it straight up.

I'll second (or maybe third or fourth) the reheating comments. You can't reheat the fresh mozzarella. Once it cools after you melt it, you're out of luck.

Had the anchovies tonight....soooo good

I was there on one of those blazingly hot nights last week, the special pizza had grilled zucchini, scallions, pine nuts, dried tomatoes olive oil and I believe fontina but I could be wrong on the cheese. It was a little earthy/nutty... I am totally drawing a blank. When I first got the pizza I thought the tomatoes were a bit sparse but they really packed a punch. I ended up trying to just arrange my bites so I had nibble of tomato on each bite. For dessert we had a very simple dish of assorted melon and mint/lemon sorbet. To drink beth had a mimosa variation made with blood orange and I had a huge hefeweizen (I didn't realize how large the "Large" was) I couldn't think of a more perfect meal to beat the heat. Everything we ate was exactly what I fantasize about on a brutally hot and stuffy night. I am so lucky to live within walking distance of that place. A couple of other things, the rabbit, which I saw out on a cutting board the other night, is a fantastic dish although when I have had it before, I found myself wanting a bit more for the price. A few weeks ago Beth and I got an assortment of small plates that night but both ended up fighting over the rabbit. We ended up just ordering 2 more. I guess it isn't the dollar figure that was bugging me as much as I just wanted an entire entree of the rabbit. Also worth noting we got there at 9:35 on a Wednesday night and it was still a 45 minute wait. Unbelievable... I actually saw people waiting outside there during Deluge '06 a couple of weeks ago. I think I am going to organize a benefit or have an eat-a-thon or something to raise money to help them buy out Papas Liquor and that lower room of Cactus Cantina, anyone want to help?

Most of you probably already know this, but the big salumi plate is too much pork for two people, especially when followed by two pizzas. I was unable to eat anything until noon today. :)

Ice cream update: Key Lime last night. OK if you like that sort of thing. I didn't.

Most of you probably already know this, but the big salumi plate is too much pork for two people, especially when followed by two pizzas. I was unable to eat anything until noon today. :lol:
Jake, you want to handle this one, or should I? :)