2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - No Longer DOCG Pizza, but Who Cares?

Had the burrata cheese and the mixed green salad over the weekend. The cheese is the usual burrata of riccota wrapped in mozzarella. It was a 6 out of 10. Good, not great. The ricotta was tangier and more assertive then I've had with other burrata's and the mozzarella layer was very thin (i.e. mostly ricotta). Nowhere near Dino's which I'd give a 9 for the cheese and push up to a 10 with the roasted tomato and red pepper tapenades (the olive with it is ok too, but not as good as the other 2). However, 2 Amys is half the price at $6 and comparable size. I guess you get what you pay for.

I also mention the mixed green salad because while it is just greens (lettuces and frisee) and alittle endive with oil, I found it to be excellent again over the weekend. The perfect mixed of crunch with hints of pepper. I almost ate the huge portion all by myself.

Also fyi - our waiter said the upstairs is ready except for permits. So the opening should be some time soon in July. On a down note the waiter told us that he foresees problems because the kitchen is already operating at full capacity. So once the addition opens maybe a table will be quicker had, but possibly longer waits for food. I think I'd prefer the table with wine and wait for the food. I guess we'll see.

FYI. The upstairs room has been open for about a week, and basically constitutes additional dining room space - another half-dozen two-tops plus a few larger tables. There's a small service bar for the staff, but that's it. No new space to wait around in. Still, they've built a pretty, little room to contrast with the noisy downstairs, with cork floors and wall trim to help dampen the sound. Service is apparently still being sorted out; there's a server dedicated to keeping the floors in communication, but it's a long way to the kitchen.

Can you specifically request seating up there or is it available only when the main room fills up?

My cousin and I had a late lunch here two Sundays ago. The place was packed even at 3:00. Fairly standard but generally decent meal -- doughnut to start, suppli and anchovies as appetizers, margherita as the main, and ice cream (vanilla and raspberry chocolate) for dessert.

The doughnut was no longer hot (apparently we got the last one available), which immediately made it less appealing than the Colorado Kitchen version. The suppli rocked as usual. The pizza was slightly undercooked, so I need to remember to request that it stay in the oven longer! Ice cream was a huge winner.

We got out for under $40 after tax and tip, which is why this place will always be one of the best deals in the city.

Went here for the first time yesterday. We probably had about a 15 minute wait. Not too bad, but not too good either considering we did this with three young kids and they were hungry after the 45 minute drive from NOVA.

Anyways, I had the Norcia. Good stuff. Wife was all ready for a pizza until she saw the soft shell crab panini on the specials. It was good, too. Although, I wouldn't really call it a panini. It was barely grilled.

My master plan was to get some donuts to go at the end of lunch, but they had run out by then. Next time (and there will be a next time), I'll have to get them first.

I'm new to this site (but have lived in NOVA my whole life) and I'm learning a lot.

Depending on where you live in Northern VA you should also visit American Flatbread in Ashburn which IS worth the trip or Roberto Donna's Bebo in Crystal City who I believe currently has the D. C. area's best pizza. Unlike MANY others on here I am not a fan of Comet. For myself Two Amys' pizza margherita is their best.

Depending on where you live in Northern VA you should also visit American Flatbread in Ashburn which IS worth the trip or Roberto Donna's Bebo in Crystal City who I believe currently has the D. C. area's best pizza. Unlike MANY others on here I am not a fan of Comet. For myself Two Amys' pizza margherita is their best.

Yeah, I think we'll try AF next. We're in western Fairfax, so it's closer. I picked Amy's for Sunday lunch because I really wanted some donuts. They look really good on the web page. :angry:

I've heard AF is really family friendly. Well, I thought the staff at Amy's did a great job of making a family with three young children comfortable. They moved some tables around us to give a little extra space and gladly cleaned up the water I spilled trying to keep my acrobatic daughter from falling out her chair. My kids usually behave fairly well in restaurants, but I'm usually a little nervous going into a crowed urban restaurant because I assume they'd rather not have young kids there. I feel like my kids need to be near perfect. Well, they didn't make me feel that way at all.

Yeah, I think we'll try AF next. We're in western Fairfax, so it's closer. I picked Amy's for Sunday lunch because I really wanted some donuts. They look really good on the web page. :angry:

I've heard AF is really family friendly. Well, I thought the staff at Amy's did a great job of making a family with three young children comfortable. They moved some tables around us to give a little extra space and gladly cleaned up the water I spilled trying to keep my acrobatic daughter from falling out her chair. My kids usually behave fairly well in restaurants, but I'm usually a little nervous going into a crowed urban restaurant because I assume they'd rather not have young kids there. I feel like my kids need to be near perfect. Well, they didn't make me feel that way at all.

I think of all the restaurants in DC, 2 Amys is the LAST place you need to worry about misbehaved children. Generally, my boy is very well behaved, but sometimes when we're there, he completely melts down, but due to the noise of the restaurant, no one ever hears him.

Is 2 Amy's slipping? At lunch this weekend my soft shell sandwich was great, but our pie was a little undercooked. It was not so bad that you would send it back, but not up to the standard that I've come to expect from them. Has anyone else noticed this? Hopefully it was just one off pie and not part of a pattern.

Is 2 Amy's slipping? At lunch this weekend my soft shell sandwich was great, but our pie was a little undercooked. It was not so bad that you would send it back, but not up to the standard that I've come to expect from them. Has anyone else noticed this? Hopefully it was just one off pie and not part of a pattern.
My pie last week was just fine. Although, my memory of that lunch is a little fuzzy...

Do you think it's fair to say that it's slipping because of one experience that you had? Also, based on the recent comments in this thread, if you like your crust crispier, I think that it is best to ask for it that way these days at 2Amys because they are definitely cooking the pies a bit less than what people might be used to. The ingredients, especially the meats, remain top-notch, and this is still the best pizza on a consistent basis in the area in my opinion.

Do you think it's fair to say that it's slipping because of one experience that you had? Also, based on the recent comments in this thread, if you like your crust crispier, I think that it is best to ask for it that way these days at 2Amys because they are definitely cooking the pies a bit less than what people might be used to. The ingredients, especially the meats, remain top-notch, and this is still the best pizza on a consistent basis in the area in my opinion.

I never hesitate to ask for it well-done to minimize the potential for a less than crispy crust. Could they be changing becuase that is what the vast majority wants?

I never hesitate to ask for it well-done to minimize the potential for a less than crispy crust. Could they be changing becuase that is what the vast majority wants?

That's what I would guess. Believe it or not, I think the charred, crunchy crust is not as appealing as the doughy, soft crust for most people. It might have to do with the fact that most pizza places serve soft crust, thus making it more a familiar and safe option for a lot of consumers.

That's what I would guess. Believe it or not, I think the charred, crunchy crust is not as appealing as the doughy, soft crust for most people. It might have to do with the fact that most pizza places serve soft crust, thus making it more a familiar and safe option for a lot of consumers.
I'm in the softer dough camp although I think it is relative. I've been dozens of times and sometimes you get a crackling crust with a few burnt spots and other times like last week you get a softer dough. I think the difference is probably 1-2 minutes of cooking time in the roaring oven, so that probably explains the lack of crispness consistency.

That said, last week's special when I was there was excellent. It was basically a gussied up Margherita with the addition of squash blossoms, a few garlic slivers, and great roasted red and yellow tomatos. The tomatos added such a nice flavors - they should have that topping all the time.

Another thing to note is that it appears they removed most of the center tables from the bar area and now are using it as more space to wait. Although there are still tables ringing the bar area and seats at the bar.

Went for dinner tonight. Got the deviled eggs and one of the special starters. Deep-fried mussels in a tempura-like battered chain speared on skewers with a wedge of lemon on the side. Mmm... tender, seafoody with a nice delicate crust. Pizza with squid, roasted tomatoes, tomato confit, zucchini blossoms and garlic was also nummy. Was sad there were no yellow tomatoes though.

Went last weekend and for the first time had a seat upstairs in the new dining room. Very nice space with about 8 tables, mostly two tops. Seems like they are still figuring out service up there, but it was pretty much equal to downstairs. Had a great special pizza with roasted tomatos, fried eggplant (this was great, crisp outside - delicious soft inside), pine nuts, smoked mozzarella, and roasted garlic.

I am part of a group 6-8 new parents heading to 2 Amys this Sunday for a first restaurant outing with the infants. How busy are they at 3 PM? We’re trying to avoid the busiest times so we can hopefully get tables close together, if not one table. We’ll be calling the manager to give advance warning (since reservations aren’t an option), but someone here must have an idea how they’d handle this situation.

I am part of a group 6-8 new parents heading to 2 Amys this Sunday for a first restaurant outing with the infants. How busy are they at 3 PM? We’re trying to avoid the busiest times so we can hopefully get tables close together, if not one table. We’ll be calling the manager to give advance warning (since reservations aren’t an option), but someone here must have an idea how they’d handle this situation.

In my experience, Sunday at 3 can be pretty busy, but not overwhelming. Your best bet is to have one or two of the parents go ahead of time and put your name in. They are pretty accommodating to bigger groups, and I'm sure with advance warning you'll be taken care of.

You may want to consider (if possible) showing up when they open, which is at noon on Sunday. That guarantees you'll get in with no wait, and have access to those great donuts...

I always expected more on the pizza side from 2 Amy's and never really got it on my first two visits. I mean, I am the one person that always applauds what they do there OTHER than their pizza, but after having the margherita with polpettine today for lunch, I have to say that I was wrong. It was a near perfect pizza, I could have used a bit more cheese, exactly what I was looking for today. Simply wonderful.

After reading on yesterday's "Ask Tom" about a poster's not great 2 Amy's experience, we decided to go there last night, and bring a friend who has a fondness for their deviled eggs. We got there around 7 pm and probably could have got a table right away due to the weather, but our friend was running late, so we sat at the bar and ordered a few drinks and the delicious proscuitto and turnip puree crostini and the pasta fritatta. At around 7:45, I spoke with the hostess and put our name on the list, and there didn't really seem to be a wait at that time. When our friend got there at 8, we were seated right away, but the bar area was full and the waiting list seemed to be at least 6 parties long. Our water took a while to get to the table, but the waiter came over, took our drink and deviled egg order and came back a few minutes later for our pizza order. Our deviled eggs were served very promptly, and our pizzas came out lickety split as well. I'm really glad that I ordered my puttanesca pizza well done, because I tasted my husband's pizza crust, and it tasted incredibly undercooked, and very doughy. He enjoyed it, though, and didn't complain too much about the crust since his toppings--onion and polpettine--were so delicious. Our waiter didn't really come over much during our meal, which was fine with us since we didn't have any problems. Overall, an enjoyable meal.

Had a great special pizza last night: tomato sauce, pine nuts, parsley, smoked buffalo mozzarella, and fried slices of eggplant. It was the second time I've had it and it seems to be a regular in the specials rotation. I especially enjoy the eggplant which gets crisp and charred on the outside and is mushy and sweet on the inside. Definitely a great creative pizza topping. We also started with the squash soup special which was good, but nothing special.

I had the Soggiest Pizza Ever™ for lunch today. Not just flabby - undercooked and soaking wet. I was in a tearing hurry and didn't have time for a do-over. Maybe someday Comet will open for weekday lunch... :mellow:

Apparently they held onto the recipe for your pizza and duplicated it for me on Friday night. I even asked for it 'well done' and it still came out with a pool of greasy moisture in the middle of the plate.

After a couple great initial experiences, I am almost to the point of only ordering starters at 2Amy's. It's not that the pizza is horrible, but it just isn't in the same league IMO as Comet and RR and is definitely lagging behind Bebo at this point as well.

This is a real shame, and I've experienced it, too. There has clearly been a conscious decision taken to cook the pizzas less here. The scary thing is that the wine list, small plates, cured meats, desserts, and cheeses (roughly in that order) still make 2 Amys one of the most important restaurants in DC. (Why more places don't pour the totally awesome Terradora di Paolo Aglianico by the glass is frankly beyond me). But, despite the excellent quality of most of the toppings, the pizza can no longer be recommended. Even if you order it well done (the last two well done pizzas I've ordered here were still underdone).

But, despite the excellent quality of most of the toppings, the pizza can no longer be recommended. Even if you order it well done (the last two well done pizzas I've ordered here were still underdone).

I'm curious to know when you've ordered these pizzas. I almost always go on Sundays and I've had good luck ordering my pizza well done. Could it be that some folks in the kitchen heed the well done request and others ignore it?

I'm curious to know when you've ordered these pizzas. I almost always go on Sundays and I've had good luck ordering my pizza well done. Could it be that some folks in the kitchen heed the well done request and others ignore it?
But why should I have to make a special request in order to get my pizza cooked properly? It wasn't just not "well done." The dough was undercooked.

But why should I have to make a special request in order to get my pizza cooked properly? It wasn't just not "well done." The dough was undercooked.

I think cooking pizza properly is kind of like cooking steak properly. Different folks have different ideas (although we all know rare to medium rare is ideal :mellow: ) If by undercooked you mean actually raw, that's another story.

I think cooking pizza properly is kind of like cooking steak properly. Different folks have different ideas (although we all know rare to medium rare is ideal :mellow: ) If by undercooked you mean actually raw, that's another story.

I wonder if there has been some significant change in staff in the kitchen. It is certainly a downer to hear all these negative reports.

I've been a number of times in the last few weeks, mostly on the weekends, and the pizzas are identical each time. I haven't been ordering the pizzas well done, but the crust comes out fine and the bottom has a decent amount of char on it. I find that I need to fold the crust because it's still considerably floppy, but that's pretty standard IMO.

I wonder if there has been some significant change in staff in the kitchen. It is certainly a downer to hear all these negative reports.

Well, yes. When Edan MacQuaid was pizzaiolo, his pies were almost always perfect. There's less consistency now. Some of the folks manning the oven know how to manage the pies; others, less so. I don't know whether there are particular days or times of day when your odds are better. In light of his track record and the fact that he cares about how his pizzas are served, I wouldn't be surprised if Peter Pastan achieves the proper consistency soon. In the meantime, it's a good excuse to focus more on the bar items, meats and small plates, which are generally superb.

In light of his track record and the fact that he cares about how his pizzas are served, I wouldn't be surprised if Peter Pastan achieves the proper consistency soon.
Call me cynical, but why should they? They have been inconsistent for quite some time now, and they keep packin' them in regardless.
In the meantime, it's a good excuse to focus more on the bar items, meats and small plates, which are generally superb.
Definitely get the rabbit roulade stuffed with bitter greens if it's available. I don't remember which days it is offered.

I actually went to 2 Amy's for the first time (I don't have a car, so the location is tricky) at the beginning of January. Everything was tasty--my margherita extra pizza was the table favorite--but the experience just didn't live up to the fanaticism surrounding the place. Our server was excellent, and the wine and beer selections were really nice, but the pizzas (of which we ordered four) fell somewhat short of expectations. The crust was alright--certainly not raw or significantly underdone, but definitely not as firm and crisp as I usually prefer. The toppings were obviously of high quality, but their proportions seemed to be off--too much cheese on some, too little on others.

As it was my first visit, I'll definitely go back and try again--however, it's interesting to read the recent comments now that I've actually experienced the food for myself.

They have been inconsistent for quite some time now.
The reports here notwithstanding, I'm beginning to think that they're not inconsistent, but that they've taken a conscious decision regarding doneness level of the pizzas. Maybe all the kiddies they pack in were scraping their mouths on the previously well-baked pizzas?

(And before we get into that discussion, I'm totally cool with all the kiddies that come to 2 Amys; it makes sure the ice cream stays fresh day to day!)

two pizzas and no sopping messes to report last night.

a special ripieno stuffed with escarole, anchovies, capers and pecorino was salty (as advertised), rustic, well-charred and good, and it doesn’t seem particularly well-pitched to the kiddie crowd. The crusts here have been softer than they used to be for some time. Luckily, it sounds, we haven’t stumbled upon any undercooking, although one time, several months ago, it did come close.

It is easy to totally skip the pizzas if you think they are dicey. Last night you could have made a meal of a double portion of hearth-cooked lamb, lentil and artichoke stew, followed up with small skewered mussels battered and fried into pods. Root vegetables among the small plates and cheese and ham (grilled, I think) and flatiron steak panini sounded interesting, but I was too full for them.

Pacing upstairs was at a noticeably slower tempo than typical of downstairs, but there were only a few occupied tables in the early evening, which may have explained it.

I think all of the talk of the "doneness" of the crust comes down to your personal taste. I regularly go to 2 Amys (its close by) and I always enjoy the pizzas. Typically the crust is doughy, yet never raw on the edges with some charred spots to and bottom has char. The slice is floppy in the center because it is very thin with usually heavy ingredients on it. Now I like that. Other times I'm in the mood for a crust that is crunchy and I go to Vace. However, I know lots of people love Comet which I think has the worst, saltine-like cracker brittle crust. So I guess read the posts to see what type of pizza suits your taste and patronize that place. We are lucky to have so many non-chain pizza places in NW that use fresh ingredients.

That said I concur with the comments that some of the best stuff at 2 Amys is not the pizza but the salads, small plates, and wine. I typically go for one of the specials whether it be a pizza or something else and my wife every single time loves the Margherita. So each to their own.

The reports here notwithstanding, I'm beginning to think that they're not inconsistent, but that they've taken a conscious decision regarding doneness level of the pizzas.

Our pizzas last night fit with your theory. They still had lovely char spots, but four pizzas all came out about the same, which was floppy and mushy in the middle. And it can't be blamed on heavy ingredients when it's the margherita, right? Still some very tasty pies, but I prefer Comet or Bebo's style.

However, though I'm usually quite satisfied with the pizza there, this Saturday's was dissapointing. I decided to get the margherita as usual, but opted for the addition of mushrooms and olives. Though taste-wise, I enjoying it quite a bit, the pizza (which I asked for well-done), was quite soggy in the center just being floppy as a whole. Either I just noticed it this time or something was off.

The recent flurry of threads is interesting to me because I had reported floppy pizza (see above quote) in the Pizza thread a few months ago and I was chastised by pizza man and given a seminar course in Toppings & Pizza 101.

Guess maybe I wasn't too far off the mark after all. It's a shame too because I'm kinda craving that fizzy red wine (the name escapes me) and a nice pizza.

It was really buzzing here both in the restaurant and take out orders with the big game going on. They were particularly on their game here last night, with the pizza being excellent (though I've never had a bad experience in the 10+ times I've been). Enjoyed the pizza special with calamari and assorted vegetables (and a tinge of some hot peppers), the ever-reliable norcia (salami) and a margherita extra (w/cherry tomatoes) that shows how great simple pizza can be.

It was really buzzing here both in the restaurant and take out orders with the big game going on. They were particularly on their game here last night, with the pizza being excellent (though I've never had a bad experience in the 10+ times I've been). Enjoyed the pizza special with calamari and assorted vegetables (and a tinge of some hot peppers), the ever-reliable norcia (salami) and a margherita extra (w/cherry tomatoes) that shows how great simple pizza can be.

Well, if they were on their game there during the Super Bowl itself, they sure weren't during the pre-game show. As it happens, I made my first-ever visit to 2 Amy's this past Sunday afternoon. And coincident with your review here, I also had the margherita extra (w/cherry tomatoes). However, I wouldn't call the pizza I had excellent. It looked good, with a paper-thin crust in the center of the pie and a nicely puffed-out and char-spotted outer crust, but it didn't eat good. Rather than being crisp as it should have been, the outer crust was gummy and rubbery. The thin center of the crust was a soggy mess. It was an ordeal to cut slices off the pie, even with the serrated knife that was provided. Two simple things would have eliminated these issues if only the kitchen had been on top of things. First, a few more minutes in the oven until the crust was properly done. Second, the cherry tomatoes (which were not nearly ripe enough to be served) had been cut in half, but the seeds and liquid from them had not been removed before placing them on top of the pie. Whether this was done before or after baking, I don't know, but it doesn't matter. How could any chef expect a paper-thin crust not to get soggy when dumping several teaspoons of liquid on top of it? If I was in the kitchen, I would not only have seeded and drained the cherry tomatoes but also raosted them separately before placing them on the pie, so as to bring out whatever flavor was lurking in them despite their lack of ripeness. A little more salt either in the dough or on top of the pizza would have helped as well to enhance the flavor of a pie that was pretty bland save for the basil. All in all, this was a very underwhelming pizza, especailly given the praise this restaurant has received in print for several years now.

To be fair, though, the eggplant parm starter and the cannoli I had before and after the pizza were quite good, verging on excellent. The eggplant was as expertly seasoned as the pizza was not.

shaved black radish salad from the other side of the menu is a plate of witches' apples, soot-rimmed petals smudged with anchovy. a lenten treat, it is salty, faintly hot, even more faintly bitter and sweet and dressed with olive oil. with a sharp mandoline, you can easily make this at home. a lemony artichoke pizza topping suggests it may be gone with a change of seasons, though it was still lingering there on sunday evening, when the squeals of restless children seemed shriller and louder than usual. still, where else can you go out to eat food this good and watch a three-year-old intently coloring with the tines of a fork?

if crust is the deciding factor, this place and comet are now tied. the crust at the ping pong place a week or so ago rolled up the same way it rolled up here, which doesn't bother me, though i know it bothers others, who take it as a sign of undercooking. but the nod goes to 2 amys, only because a squash topping at comet came out flat and stiff, and uncaramelized, its sugar untested by fire. more brimstone, please. but a smoky stew of a minnestrone and plump chicken wings are reason enough to visit, which we would do more often if it didn't happen to be such a close neighbor of buck's. one new thing on the camp menu: zesty, filling open-faced pork tacos. ours weren't perfect -- the pork was on the dry side --but they were still good. for sublime simplicity, a small plate of italian broccoli at buck's, with the chef's signature smokiness, is as good as any way to start a meal at amy's.

Mind you, I find the whole concept of a pizza being DOC utter bullshit, but still this is pretty serious shot across the bow. Or, rather, into it.

Todd Kliman: I just now went through my email files to dig up the interview I did with MacQuaid...

He said some interesting things.

Among them:

That 2 Amys "is taking a lot of shortcuts" where the DOC regulations -- the laws that define Neapolitan pizza -- are concerned. For instance, the time it's supposed to take to refrigerate the dough. "They don't follow the recipe," he said. And he pointed out that 2 Amys doesn't even use an Italian oven. The oven comes from Woodstone, in Seattle, the same company that makes the ovens (albeit gas) for California Pizza Kitchen.

With his new place, he said, "I'm going for a little bit more authenticity. ... I'm working my way up to doing naturally fermented dough. It's got a more interesting flavor, a nicer crumb."

He said his place would have four or five set pizzas, and then a blackboard menu with specials.

As to how it would differ from 2 Amys: "I intend it to be a nice plate to work, i guess is the first thing. ... I intend to have the oven built on site, with bricks from Naples. I want to try and open it up a little bit more, have the staff interact more with clientele. I want to have 100 percent of kitchen in full view. ... I want to aim for something cozier, a little less noisy. ... Something with more of a communal kind of feel than a pizza factory."

Did you just call 2 Amys a pizza factory? I asked.

"it's totally a pizza factory. It's a good one, but they can make a thousand pizzas a day there."