2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - No Longer DOCG Pizza, but Who Cares?

14 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Rick Cook, who has come from Etto, and who worked at both BlackSaltm and at The Grill Room with the legendary Frank Ruta.

i believe that rick also did a stint at oberlin in providence, one of ben sukle's two restaurants.  oberlin is great, and sukle's flagship, birch, is in my opinion one of the best fine dining (in food style, although the environment is casual) restaurants in the country, and hands-down the best value for the level of food.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 3:28 AM, DonRocks said:

I went through this little exercise on my own, came to the same conclusion, and haven't ordered anything but the Sicilian anchovies since.

Peter, if you're reading this, consider making an order of six anchovies (instead of four), featuring two-each of the three different types? That way, diners can make a direct comparison - sort of like a "wine tasting," but an "anchovy tasting." This is something I'd order, because if you order only one type, the frame-of-reference is missing, so trying the more-expensive versions by themselves just isn't worth it (to me, anyway).

On 5/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, DonRocks said:

Fried Anchovy Bones with a carafe of 2 Amys' 'No Longer' Rosé - a match made in, well, a match made under the sea and under the soil. Get them, and then try anything and everything else you see that looks or sounds good - do not hesitate to turn yourself over to the hands of Rick and the wonderful bartender Allie: They will help you to dine, and to dine well.

Actually, Peter, if you want to geek-out to the point where you're a total loser, make a tasting plate of 2-each of the 3 anchovies, and *don't co-mingle the anchovy bones* - keep them separate by region, and serve a couple of bones alongside of their meat, so you can have an anchovy bone cross-tasting as well. 🤔

Of course, that would mean three separate fry jobs. 😦

Sometimes I overthink things.

3 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

So, a week or so ago we went and saw their DOC designation was revoked. Serenity now!  

Didn’t stop us from ordering their killer vegetable pizza. 

Happened a while back.  The Powers That Be in Italy imposed new rules involving something or other -- "peel usage," apparently -- and Peter politely decided not to play ball.  Can't say as I blame him:  "Il Disciplinare" verges on self-parody.  For example, with respect to the wooden "peel" used to insert the pizza into the oven:  The insertion must be done "with a quick wrist movement, holding the peel at an angle of 20-25° from the base of the oven."  Good riddance.

BTW, 2 Amys is closed for a couple of days due to a "technical issue" (per Instagram).

Sorry to hear about the pipe issue. A couple of weeks ago, I had the prettiest and probably tastiest pizza ever at 2Amys after having eaten here countless times in the past decade or so. It was perfection - squash blossoms, roasted baby zucchini, tomato puree, parsley, cherry tomatos and a big piece of burrata in the center drizzled with olive oil. I usually enjoy the pizza and love the other stuff but this was so seasonal and delicious. Hopefully, the repairs are quick. 

45 minutes ago, B.A.R. said:

why would the wine need to be thrown away due to a flood?

Just a guess - but I'm assuming they stored a lot of wine in their basement space.  If the wine got soaked - there likely would be potential cork damage / contamination.

53 minutes ago, B.A.R. said:

why would the wine need to be thrown away due to a flood?

7 minutes ago, Rovers2000 said:

Just a guess - but I'm assuming they stored a lot of wine in their basement space.  If the wine got soaked - there likely would be potential cork damage / contamination.

Are you sure it's actually being *thrown* away? Insurance companies are odd - if they've declared a total loss, they're probably asking 2 Amys to give the wine up as salvage. Then, the insurer will get whatever they can for it - probably pennies on the dollar, but that's how they work.

10 minutes ago, B.A.R. said:

Right. Must be an insurance thing. I can see why they would be unsalable to damaged labels, etc...but not undrinkable

This sounds like an intake pipe that burst; if there was any outtake pipe involved, that would pretty much render the wine undrinkable as well (from a restaurant's perspective).

Still, 2 Amys stores some of their wines fairly high up on the shelves (in the bar dining area), and I'd be surprised if even five feet of water in the kitchen reached those.

Five *FEET* - can you imagine what the basement looked like? There has got to be massive structural damage - this restaurant could be closed for awhile. Even the pizza oven will need to be replaced.

Just cross your fingers ... I think they were being *really* optimistic when they said "weeks."

14 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

This sounds like an intake pipe that burst; if there was any outtake pipe involved, that would pretty much render the wine undrinkable as well (from a restaurant's perspective).

Still, 2 Amys stores some of their wines fairly high up on the shelves (in the bar dining area), and I'd be surprised if even five feet of water in the kitchen reached those.

Five *FEET* - can you imagine what the basement looked like? There has got to be massive structural damage - this restaurant could be closed for awhile. Even the pizza oven will need to be replaced.

Just cross your fingers ... I think they were being *really* optimistic when they said "weeks."

The structural thing is what terrifies me.  Those old places in that area aren’t exactly robust from a foundation / basement perspective (I remember a day long ago that I was helping the owners of Bourbon down the street in Glover Park literally bail water due to a bad storm out of their basement - and couldn’t believe how decrepit it was)...

Regardless, they’re in my thoughts and I will 100% be spending some time / money there when they reopen.  

58 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

my understanding is that the majority of the wine, including the nicer stuff (e.g., the "reserve" list) was stored in the basement.  

On 7/23/2018 at 3:20 PM, DonRocks said:

This saddens me so- we were regulars since they been open many many moons ago, Sunday nights at the bar was always a joy, filled as it was with all of DC’s (restaurant) finest; hell one of the staff babysat my older brother way back when...

Also- Don: what’s a basement? We don’t have these; lastly, Katrina: not a competition, just a thought

7 hours ago, lotus125 said:

The specials list is a bit shorter than usual. But I think they're still regathering strength.  

What time did you go? At 5 PM, they brought out a much longer specials list than they featured during the earlier afternoon. And they had the anchovy bones! It seems like the same old 2 Amys to me - it even looks the same.

Well after 5.  There were no hot specials or special pizzas, i.e., the other side of the specials list, but there was a note that these are coming soon.  And the wine bar side seemed just a touch shorter than I was used to.   Otherwise, save a few changes on the regular menu (with customers like me grousing about any old favorites that were changed), it's pretty much the same.   Happy to have them back! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lotus125 said:

Well after 5.  There were no hot specials or special pizzas, i.e., the other side of the specials list, but there was a note that these are coming soon.  And the wine bar side seemed just a touch shorter than I was used to.   Otherwise, save a few changes on the regular menu (with customers like me grousing about any old favorites that were changed), it's pretty much the same.   Happy to have them back! 

There was one special pizza last night, FWIW - the specials list wasn't *quite* as extensive (it's possible they lost some kitchen staff during the closure - I didn't see Rick Cook, for example), but it was well-worth visiting: Anchovy Bones, Bottarga with Lemon, EVOO, and toast, Matsutake Mushrooms with Pecorino, Mortadella (offered all day), and a couple terrific desserts ... and that's just what we ordered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

There was one special pizza last night, FWIW

glad to hear that they are ramping up a bit.  there were no hot specials as of sunday (when rick was there).  i don't know whether they lost staff during the closure, but jeffrey coincidentally left about a week before the flood, and i don't think they've replaced him with another chef yet.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:27 PM, jca76 said:

glad to hear that they are ramping up a bit.  there were no hot specials as of sunday (when rick was there).  i don't know whether they lost staff during the closure, but jeffrey coincidentally left about a week before the flood, and i don't think they've replaced him with another chef yet.

I've been to 2 Amys 2-3 times since they reopened. A couple things I've noticed are:

* They now have two unisex restrooms

* The tables in the main dining room seem more bunched together (tonight, it was difficult to navigate from one side of the room to the other)

Neither of these is "good" or "bad" so much as they are observations, though I do miss the picture of Sophia Loren.

PS - Get a bottle of the "Carbonic Sangiovese" ($30) - it will come in a carafe, but I've had it each time I've recently been, and haven't regretted it. Think: Cru Beaujolais (Morgon or Moulin-a-Vent) in the best possible sense - this quality of wine would generally set you back 50% more in Restaurant World.

• Like 1

I'm happy to say that 2Amys seems to be back at full strength.  There are now multiple special pizzas and hot kitchen specials every night. And the wine bar specials is back to its pre-flood length.  They've also added a champagne section to their wine list.  It's on the expensive side and doesn't seem to have the amazing low/no markup pricing that was sometimes on the old "reserve" list or that Etto had/has for champagne  But it's a nice addition.   

I haven't noticed a change in table spacing.  The unisex restrooms strike me as a good solution to the fact that one restroom typically had a wait while the other did not. But it does turn the stall + urinal men's room that accommodated two people into a restroom for one.  The former men's room, which still has a urinal and separate stall, now has a sign telling people to lock the door behind them.  I gather that people wouldn't be comfortable with using it as a unisex restroom for two, i.e., with a urinal outside of a unisex stall?  But that would increase the number of people who could use the restrooms at a time.   

It was good to be back at the bar at 2 Amy's.  It was somewhat quieter last night, perhaps people were suffering from election hangovers?

***Porchetta Alert*** 2 Amy's was not serving the traditional porchetta last night, which pre-flood was a Wednesday night fixture.  They indicated they are still not up to speed yet, so be warned if you are looking for a Porchetta Wednesday fix, it might be worth checking in with 2 Amy's first.

That said, still some delicious eating to be had.

Rabbit en porchetta with pickled cabbage ($12) this was the traditional porchetta stand in, really good and I'm not a big rabbit fan.

Pickled sardine and roasted pepper crostino ($8) whatever crostino they are serving is pretty much a must order, and this did not disappoint

Sicilian anchovies with bread and butter ($7) no meal is complete without these tasty fishies

Braised Artichokes with olives and aged goat cheese ($10) an excellent vegetable course

Salt cod croquettes (7.95) these make a regular appearance in our ordering

Caponata (6.95) I felt this could have been a bit more punchier

Citrus marinated beets with sardinian sheep's milk ricotta and vincotto ($10) the beets were good, the ricotta was amazing

Fancy Greek bottarga with toasty bread, butter, lemon and sicilian evoo ($14) its tough to  beat bottarga on toast points

Piggy, pistachio and prune terrine with the appropriate condiments ($10) a good dish, but probably wouldn't have ordered if the traditional porchetta was available

Chocolate mousse and Wild honey ice cream...because after all of that, why not get two desserts.  😀

Rabbit, Terrine, Anchovies

2 amys rabbit DR.jpg

2 amys terrine DR.jpg

2 Amys anchovies DR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went for lunch twice in the past two weeks. Both times had the Etna 2.0 which is really good. I always liked when they had special pizzas with fried eggplant slices and now happy to have a regular pizza on the menu - it is good and smoky from the oven and the smoked mozzarella. The old Etna's eggplant was kind of hidden in the sauce and not so great - the new version is much better. My companions' pizzas were good too. The only thing that was a shame was the salt cod croquettes which were overly salty on one visit. We get this dish 75% of the time and always love it. I like the new addition of the lemon aioli instead of only the fresh lemon slice for variety (still better with fresh squeezed lemon IMHO), but the salt just killed the dish. I'm not sure if they didn't rinse the salt cod enough or what. Hopefully they'll get back to their usual stride next time. 

Interesting, per the 2 Amy's website:

No longer DOC

When 2amys opened in 2001, it was a very different time in the pizza world.  We were excited to be a part of what we saw as an inclusive and dedicated group of restaurants trying in their own way to preserve the legacy of Neapolitan Pizza.  

At that time, there were only a small handful of restaurants in the States involved, and we felt it was an important story to tell.  In the past 17 years, the rules regulating production have been changed, amended, and adapted (apparently you can now cook in a gas oven if regulations don't allow wood), and 2amys has been cited for improper peel usage, among other serious violations.  Although peel usage is not well defined in the dissaplinare, we have decided to move on and are no longer a member of the VPN.  We wish them the best of luck in continuing to redefine the history of pizza.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After a long drive home on Boxing Day (3 hours from Richmond to DC...ugh) I went to 2 Amy's for dinner.  The place was slammed, the entire back bar area filled with people waiting on tables.  I guess people were tired of being at home with relatives!

Fortunately, few people were actually eating at the bar, and I was able to snag a seat at the end. Miguel and Tammy took good care of me.

Highlights included:

Sicilian Anchovies with bread and butter - A must order

Roasted Eggplant with cherry tomatoes, almonds, smoked paprika, and sheep's milk ricotta - This was a log of roasted eggplant sitting in a pool of cherry tomato sauce and a wedge of the always excellent ricotta (apparently sourced from Sardinia)

Butternut Squash and farro salad with vincotto and tardivo radicchio - a great winter salad, the vincotto adding complexity to farro and squash.

Photo:  eggplant and ricotta

2 amys eggplant.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An early dinner at 2 Amys last night featured the restaurant in high gear, at its most ambitious and creative self; still, it was slightly different than any of the many dozens of meals I've had here in the past.

With only a couple of tables left, 2 Amys was kind enough to seat us near the window, where a friend could stretch out a recently strained knee. 200 ml bottles of San Pellegrino Aranciata ($2.50) got us through the entire meal.

I'd gone to wash my hands, and on the way back, glanced at the bar to my left - on it sat something that was the length of a loaf of bread, but the circumference of a basketball, and I knew it was in my immediate future.

Sometimes, 2 Amys puts exclamation points on their daily-specials menu, and last night was no exception.

2 Amys Daily Specials 2.jpg

The Roman Artichoke !! (Carciofi alla Romana, $8) was a capitulation to the kitchen, as there was no description for it, but with two exclamation points, it must be good, right? It was. A single, majestic artichoke, presented on a plate with some olive oil, like a gigantic Hershey's Kiss, gave no indication of its stuffed, inner self. The bottom half was stuffed with a green, pesto-ish hash of what seemed to be parsley, lemon, and possibly mentuccia. Beautiful in its simplicity, this extremely mild dish allowed nature's basic ingredients to take the bow, and served as a much-needed counterpoint to its partner dish.

Roman Artichoke.jpg

Porchetta with Farro and Green Sauce !!!!! ($17) was a five-exclamation point dish, both in name, and in ambition. This was that huge, basketball-thick roulade I saw when I glanced over towards the bar, and was the result of a cook's psychedelic fantasies on steroids. The rolled-up pork monster was multi-layered, with some of the layers being nearly lard, and this was the richest dish I've had in recent memory - two of us could only finish half of it; if we'd gone any further, any hope of enjoying our pizzas would have been lost. I'll be cursed (literally, cursed, and cursed *at*) for saying this, but my endless respect for this porchetta, and the creative energy and labor that went into making it, mostly ended on the plate - it was so rich that actually eating it became an exercise in theory, and I felt guilty for taking the portion from whichever hungry NFL linebacker missed out on it later in the evening. The spicing was subtle and suave with whispers of clove and vanilla, the little rectangles of skin, tooth-breaking, the "green sauce" something like a pesto (slightly darker, and with a bit more verve than what was in the Roman artichoke), and the farro, curious. I had some for lunch today, and I'll have some for dinner tonight (simmered down in a previously vegan, homemade blistered-red pepper soup (*)) - bravo to 2 Amys for offering this dish, and for having taken the time and effort to make it: There's nothing else like this being offered in the DC area.

Porchetta 1.jpg

As many times as I've been here, over the course of what must be close to 25 years, I don't ever remember having ordered the Pozzuoli Pizza ($14.45) before. I forgot to order the pizzas "well-done," and I'm curious to see what they'll be like if I do. Remember, 2 Amys is no longer DOCG-certified, and that may have shown last night in the pizzas - they were unlike any I've had here in the past: not better, not necessarily worse; just different, very thin in the center, with a thicker crust at the periphery, blistered and charred, with a fine flavor, but also markedly more bready in the interior of the rim. The Pozzuoli was made with tomato, Fontina, 2Amys sausage (!!!!!), grilled peppers, "hotties" (only in appearance), and parsley. I wish I could purchase this sausage in bulk - to have with breakfast, to freeze, to put aside for the nuclear winter: It was as good as sausage can possibly be; the Fontina was somewhat assertive and rind-y: a slightly riper version than I was expecting, but not at all overripe - although this isn't a spicy pizza, the ingredients aren't shy, and it seemed wise to use a cheese on that half of the spectrum. I look forward to getting this again (note: We asked for the pizzas to be sliced).

Pozzuoli.jpgScreenshot 2019-02-17 at 21.36.08.png

The second pizza was a daily special: Burrata di Bufala, Squash Blossoms, Tomato Purée, Cherry Tomatoes, and Parsley ($16.45). Served with a half-orb of Burrata in the middle of the pizza, this was a self-service spread-around - necessary to prevent the pizza from becoming soggy (as it was today for lunch). If you're familiar with 2 Amys' pizza, and can picture how the crust was different on this evening, then you know exactly how this pizza was - the tomato purée was sweet and terrific, the Burrata making it milky and homey, and this was a fine foil for the Pozzuoli.

Burrata di Bufala 2.jpg

Yet another "imperfect, but perfect" showing at this monument to rustic Italian dining.

---

(*) ETA - It was *magnificent* in the soup, both the meat and the farro.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

The second pizza was a daily special: Burrata di Bufala, Squash Blossoms, Tomato Purée, Cherry Tomatoes, and Parsley ($16.45). Served with a half-orb of Burrata in the middle of the pizza, this was a self-service spread-around - necessary to prevent the pizza from becoming soggy (as it was today for lunch). If you're familiar with 2 Amys' pizza, and can picture how the crust was different on this evening, then you know exactly how this pizza was - the tomato purée was sweet and terrific, the Burrata making it milky and homey, and this was a fine foil for the Pozzuoli.

Burrata di Bufala 2.jpg

This was wonderful last night, too, so delicious yet lighter than you could ever imagine a pizza with burrata could be.  The cool burrata added not only richness but also a delightful textural and temperature contrast.  I loved the thinner interior, and the delicate layer of tomato puree was just right.  A brilliant invention.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Simon said:

This was wonderful last night, too, so delicious yet lighter than you could ever imagine a pizza with burrata could be.  The cool burrata added not only richness but also a delightful textural and temperature contrast.  I loved the thinner interior, and the delicate layer of tomato puree was just right.  A brilliant invention.

Curious: Did you spread the Burrata around, or did you use it as a focal point, and fork it (or dip the crust)? I think it would be good as a dip for the cornicione <--- yes, he just used that term.

Did you notice a difference in the crust? Good? Bad? Neither?

Say hi next time!

12 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Curious: Did you spread the Burrata around, or did you use it as a focal point, and fork it (or dip the crust)? I think it would be good as a dip for the cornicione <--- yes, he just used that term.

Did you notice a difference in the crust? Good? Bad? Neither?

Say hi next time!

Spread!  And I loved the new crust, though mine wasn't nearly as blistered as yours in the pictures.

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

Spread!  And I loved the new crust, though mine wasn't nearly as blistered as yours in the pictures.

It wasn't that easy because of the rind - in retrospect, I should have started around the outside, and worked my way in (like a vortex); I worked my way out, and it acted as a centrifuge for the other toppings. Although I ended up knifing-and-forking, lifting, cutting, and redistributing as I went.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, DonRocks said:

It wasn't that easy because of the rind - in retrospect, I should have started around the outside, and worked my way in (like a vortex); I worked my way out, and it acted as a centrifuge for the other toppings. Although I ended up knifing-and-forking, lifting, cutting, and redistributing as I went.

Regarding the crust, two thirds of the pizza was among the tastiest crust I've ever had if you picture the remaining  one third as the inner circle of the middle of the pizza.  That crust was so thin as to be annoying when trying to eat it with the toppings. And I did order it well done to try to get it a bit sturdier.

The bad news:  Porchetta Wednesday is no more. If you need a porchetta fix go on Saturday nights.

The good news:  The rest of the stuff is as tasty as ever.  Plus Miguel and Tammy working the back bar. 

Sicilian Anchovies + Bread & Butter:  An always order

Braised Radicchio and Artichoke Tart:  Super rich with ricotta cheese from Sardinia

Pickled Sardines with Cara Cara orange, fennel, mint: Perhaps the dish of the night

Tardivo Radicchio alla Romana: A pile of tardivo dressed with an anchovy sauce

Marinated Carrots with Sheep's Milk Ricotta: One of the dishes sitting on the wine bar, looked unassuming, but those carrots were super sweet and carrot-y.  Tossed with a little bit of cumin and topped with the ricotta from Sardinia.

2 Amys Sardines.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tweaked said:

The bad news:  Porchetta Wednesday is no more. If you need a porchetta fix go on Saturday nights.

The good news:  The rest of the stuff is as tasty as ever.  Plus Miguel and Tammy working the back bar. 

And just take a look at this, which I'm told was, not surprisingly, sold out by 6:00 or so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Yes Sicilian.  They offer two types now, instead of three.  Sicilian and Cantabrian.  I've only ever had the Sicilian.

They were amazingly delicious last night.  (Was that you at the bar at 8:00, Tweaked?)  As were the "tortilla española with a few cute little chorizos," the artichoke braised with carrots, lemon, fennel, and pine nuts, and, as always, the pork cutlet panino.

48 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

They were amazingly delicious last night.  (Was that you at the bar at 8:00, Tweaked?)  As were the "tortilla española with a few cute little chorizos," the artichoke braised with carrots, lemon, fennel, and pine nuts, and, as always, the pork cutlet panino.

Ha, no.  Photo is from a couple of weeks ago.  I was scrolling through my phone and looked too good not to post.