Stretch

2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - Reopening Mon, Sep 24 at 5 PM!

While not up to the task of keeping my visit count up to the level of Stretch I had dinner at 2 Amy's over the weekend. While it was a usual busy Saturday night, the wait was not unbearable.

Enough has been said of the pizza, but I wanted to mention a special item on the little things menu, porchetta! The front half of a small stuffed and roasted pig was atop the bar waiting to be sliced and served. A nice treat that I have not seen since my last trip to Italy. The garlicky flavor combined with the pork was a wonderful combination. If you see this porcine treat on the bar, get some.

The porchetta was wonderful. We had it at the bar Saturday night while waiting for a table as well. It was served with delicious crusty bread and tarty pieces of poached or macerated fruit. A great beginning to a great meal.

While not up to the task of keeping my visit count up to the level of Stretch I had dinner at 2 Amy's over the weekend.  While it was a usual busy Saturday night, the wait was not unbearable.

Enough has been said of the pizza, but I wanted to mention a special item on the little things menu, porchetta!  The front half of a small stuffed and roasted pig was atop the bar waiting to be sliced and served.  A nice treat that I have not seen since my last trip to Italy.  The garlicky flavor combined with the pork was a wonderful combination.  If you see this porcine treat on the bar, get some.

You got the front end Saturday because Mrs. B and I ate up the ass end Friday night. If you sit at the bar you can pick at the "crumbs" off the cutting board all night, whenever the bartenders' backs are turned.

belated posting due to travel

had lunch at 2 Amy's on Vets day - the pizza was back to its former glory after some 'good but not great' pies on our last visit - we had a margarita which was characterized by the most generous dollops of mozzarella I've seen on a 2 Amy's pizza, and another pizza w/ pancetta and arucola

also had the meatballs which were their usual yummy selves

I ordered razor clams as an app - didn't actually know exactly what I was ordering but always like to try new things - they were grilled w/a little olive oil, lemon and parsley - not sure what I was expecting but I wasn't that impressed (and in general I love shellfish)

I paid my first visit to 2 Amys on November 5. We had a Margarita, and a 2 Amys with pepperoni. The Margarita was a good pizza, but the one I had was not worth driving across town for. There was not much cheese on our pizza, and it did not seem as if they cooked it long enough because it was still a bit doughy. I was less impressed with the 2 Amy's pizza, I enjoyed the sauce and the spicy pepperoni (which my wife did not like), but I thought that the cheese was flavorless, and like the crust on the margarita it was too doughy. The best thing that we had were the cod croquets, they were filled with cod and fried perfectly.

It might have been that I hit it at the wrong time (a Saturday lunch), but I was hoping for much more. I should also add that I found the service to be rather lacking, my Mother had to ask for her glass of wine three times before it finally arrived.

I paid my first visit to 2 Amys on November 5.  We had a Margarita, and a 2 Amys with pepperoni.  The Margarita was a good pizza, but the one I had was not worth driving across town for.  There was not much cheese on our pizza, and it did not seem as if they cooked it long enough because it was still a bit doughy.  I was less impressed with the 2 Amy's pizza, I enjoyed the sauce and the spicy pepperoni (which my wife did not like), but I thought that the cheese was flavorless, and like the crust on the margarita it was too doughy. 

I've always enjoyed their pizzas - the key for me is to order the margherita with extra buffala...otherwise there's not enough cheese to go around as you suggest. They also have really tasty sausage that shows up on specials sometimes, like with chanterelles, fontina, and cherry tomatoes - another favorite.

My other 2 amy's fav is the simple green salad - baby arugula with a lemon vinaigrette. Just the right tang and peppery zip to cut through the pizza cheese & carb fest. My only complaint was the 1 time that they must have run out of baby arugula and substituted much stronger full-grown...would have been nice to know before we ordered.

Take out from 2Amy's last night: 1 Norcia, 1 Etna, and 1 special.

The special had asparagus, anchovies, caramelized onions, and granna on it.

The special was good, but not great. I was excited when I first heard the ingredients. I thought this pizza would work well following my favorite chocoloate covered pretzel theory of eating: salty + sweet = delicious. In this specific case, the saltiness of the anchovies set off against the sweetness of the caramelized onions should equal deliciousness.

Alas, it only worked so-so. The onions were too sweet, and there weren't enough anchovies. Still, some leftovers are in my fridge right now awaiting their demise at lunch time.

I love 2 Amys, but even they couldn't get me to order pizza with asparagus on it. Then again, my taste tends to be more pepperoni and sausage than peppers and onions. :lol:

My other 2 amy's fav is the simple green salad - baby arugula with a lemon vinaigrette. 
My wife had that salad and really enjoyed it.

I was at 2 Amy's last night and it does seem that the solution for those who like their pizzas more heavily topped, ordering extra toppings is the way to go. One of my dining companions ordered a Two Amy's with extra mozzarella and extra pepperoni and I have to admit, it looked really good. I was perfectly happy with my Margarita with mushrooms, but next time, I may have to go the extra cheese route.

Also, we finished with a butter rum ice cream...boy was that good!

Not to start something here, but....

I think the solution to those who want their pizzas more heavily topped is to go some place else. :lol:

Not to start something here, but....

I think the solution to those who want their pizzas more heavily topped is to go some place else. :lol:

Why, if you can order extra toppings? :P

Why, if you can order extra toppings?  :lol:

Ask Chef Gillian about special requests and you'll see. :P

On a less snarky note, it's supposed to be authentic Neapolitan pie. That's how it and its toppings are designed. If you don't want Neapolitan-style pie, go somewhere else.

These views are an opinion that represent me, myself, and I and no one else whether current employer, former employer, or former employer who fired my ass.

Ask Chef Gillian about special requests and you'll see. :lol:

Yeah, but how big a deal is it to throw some extra cheese, or whatever, on a pizza and charge a couple of extra bucks?

I am a person who loves extra cheese as well. Usually I order the 2 amys with basil and garlic, and this has been enough for me. Last time, however, I added gorganzola to the mix and it was exactly the boost of pungent cheese that my pizza needed.

On a less snarky note, it's supposed to be authentic Neapolitan pie. That's how it and its toppings are designed. If you don't want Neapolitan-style pie, go somewhere else.

These views are an opinion that represent me, myself, and I and no one else whether current employer, former employer, or former employer who fired my ass.

Extra toppings.......?

No pizza for you!

(Authenticity is much-overrated)

Yeah, but how big a deal is it to throw some extra cheese, or whatever, on a pizza and charge a couple of extra bucks?

it's not that difficult. the extra toppings are listed on the menu. sometimes there are even lamb meatballs, which are better than cheese.

the pizzas here don't always get knocked out of the ballpark, it's true, but there's nothing else like them i know of in these parts.

also, it's really worth taking a look at the appetizers listed as daily specials and the assortment of small things on the bar menu. i avoid mondays, when the bar menu is not available.

No pizza for you! 

(Authenticity is much-overrated)

I'm not talking about authenticity. I'm talking about things like the taste and texture of the dough, sauces and toppings.

I'm not talking about authenticity. I'm talking about things like the taste and texture of the dough, sauces and toppings.

"...it's supposed to be authentic Neapolitan pie... If you don't want Neapolitan-style pie, go somewhere else." -- JPW

I order my 2 Amys with extra sauce. Fortunately, they forgot to instruct the employees to snarl if someone questions Pastan's genius or endangers his AOC status. :lol:

To tell you the truth, I'm a Vace guy myself, if I'm just mainlining 'za, but I like 2A's other offerings quite bit.

"...it's supposed to be authentic Neapolitan pie... If you don't want Neapolitan-style pie, go somewhere else." -- JPW

I order my 2 Amys with extra sauce.  Fortunately, they forgot to instruct the employees to snarl if someone questions Pastan's genius or endangers his AOC status.   :lol:  

To tell you the truth, I'm a Vace guy myself, if I'm just mainlining 'za, but I like 2A's other offerings quite bit.

Sure, sure, go ahead point out me contradicting myself. :P

They do kind of fit together though -- authentic calls for one type of bread sauce and toppings in certain proportions. Perhaps 2 Amy's does it that way because that's the way it's best enjoyed and not just to keep their designation. Then again I am the husband of neither Amy so maybe I'm just talking out of my ...

Edited by JPW

Since I frequent 2 Amys, I've gotten a little bored of the pizzas on the menu, so I've been experimenting with toppings lately and non of the combinations I come up with are ever as good as those that you can get right off the menu. The best that I've been able to do is improve upon the ones on the menu slightly. Has anyone come up with any good combinations that I haven't been able to think of?

Bump

Four words:

Egg Nog Ice Cream

Damnit, I missed the blueberry chocolate chip ice cream earlier, and I'll be damned if I miss this. Moorenko's in Silver Spring has some around, but it's suffering from freezer burn (ugh).

Thanks for the heads up :)