2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - No Longer DOCG Pizza, but Who Cares?

They make one part (the smaller one) adults only and you will never go again? A little harsh, isn't it?
It's a little obnoxious. What percentage of their customer base is families? We'd rather take our kids to restaurants where they are welcome, not tolerated.

We got a similar attitude from Pizzaria Paradiso (Dupont) once upon a time, and never went back.

It's a little obnoxious. What percentage of their customer base is families? We'd rather take our kids to restaurants where they are welcome, not tolerated.

We got a similar attitude from Pizzaria Paradiso (Dupont) once upon a time, and never went back.

Obnoxious? They are increasing the space for families and creating the 'adult only' section in a smaller room upstairs. I don't really see how this is something that shows that kids are not welcome. I am sure that I will get flak for this, but...So folks that don't have kids don't count? Maybe they listened to complaints from some of their customers and decided to create a space for them.

Most of the times that I have gone (either Fri or Sat night) I have thought that the place could double as a day care center. If it is that bad around 8-8:30 on a Sat night I would hate to see it on a Sun evening.
Unfortunately the opinion that having a lot of boisterous children in 2Amys on a Saturday night is a bad thing, is not an abberation. There will always those who do not enjoy being around a lot of young children eating pizza. 2Amy's is being responsive to this by giving those types a choice. They will be able to go from home to work to dinner and back home without ever having to interact with a child or a family. If that is how they want to live, so be it. There are also going to be those who are around kids all day long and just want a nice Calgon dinner. [Not that an adult-only upstairs with a bar will be any less noisy or rowdy.]

[Not that an adult-only upstairs with a bar will be any less noisy or rowdy.]
Especially with THAT wine list.

What will the egress be to/from the top floor? Will "children are eeeeeeeeeeeviiiillllllll" killjoys have to exchange eye contact with the "family" riffraff on their way to their ivory tower?

Maybe they can get the "how to control your child" flyer from Colorado Kitchen and have the parents read and initial it before they go upstairs. :o

Gnereally speaking, I'm all for more bar space, but I wonder what will happen to the setup they have now, where Scott (?) puts out most of the non-pizza items from behind the bar. I enjoy hanging out and watching him work, and then just pointing at whatever's hanging on the wall or arrayed on the bar, and saying "gimme some of that".

Maybe they can get the "how to control your child" flyer from Colorado Kitchen and have the parents read and initial it before they go upstairs. :o
I'm sure that will make everyone feel better. :lol:
Gnereally speaking, I'm all for more bar space, but I wonder what will happen to the setup they have now, where Scott (?) puts out most of the non-pizza items from behind the bar. I enjoy hanging out and watching him work, and then just pointing at whatever's hanging on the wall or arrayed on the bar, and saying "gimme some of that".
It seems like that would need to stay downstairs, or prep would have to be done on both floors.

The "kids-conundrum" is a tricky one for sure.

First of all, it's important to note: In my personal observation, 2 Amys has more high chairs available than any restaurant I've ever seen.

It's not a black-or-white issue. It's not all-or-nothing. Let's not get all NRA (give them an inch and they'll take a mile).

I have two small children, and it literally pains me that my Arlington shop isn't very kid-friendly... both in design and in its culture/"scene." I'm glad that people still bring their kids during the mid-day, and we do our best to accomodate them. If a customer complains about some kid(s), then I politely recommend that customer relocate himself... only because it's the easier solution when you look at it big-picture.

I didn't "know about" 2 Amys in its early days... did they always have so many high-chairs?

Just understand the nearly-no-win situation, and let's not demonize establishments (one way or the other) for simply trying their best to manage their space.

The margherita extra I had the other night must have been the weakest pizza I've had yet at 2Amys, and yet it still satisfied as well as any in town...it just didn't kick ass. The diameter seemed a tad smaller than in the past, the outer ring of crust more prominent, much thicker and breadier, and the entire pizza just barely done and hardly blistered - they used to take it to a noticeably darker color. And so it seemed with all of the other pizzas I watched while we waited (briefly) for our table. Perhaps one can't hope for too much from basil in March, but that wasn't super-fragrant either. Crostini were a disappointing value; for your $3 small plate you get exactly one piece.

I still think that they bake the best pizza in town but if this was a typical night, their once-huge lead over Comet and Paradiso has dwindled to a car-length and is in jeopardy.

Went there on Sunday and checked out some of the new specials. While my wife almost always gets the Magherita (and enjoys it a ton each time), I usually end up with a special pizza. On this trip, the special I tried was a white pizza consisting of mozzarella and small cubes of another cheese similar to pecorino - the name was something like cacio de ____, along with roasted sweet peppers, roasted scallions, and cherry tomatos. Interesting combo. The pizza was pretty good. Highlight was the roasted scallion - added a good onion flavor but more mild than your typical raw onions tossed on as a topping. The only complaint is that the flavor of special pecorino-like cheese was mostly hidden by the large amount of mozzarella. This special cheese was really good too because we had it with an appetizer of green beans, chopped fresh chives, oil, and sexy salt. Good appetizer but pretty pricy at $7.95 for grean beans. Next time, I'll have to resort to our favorite standard app - salt cod croquettes - delicious fried balls of salty fish that brighten up with the accompanying lemon wedge. Try it if you haven't had it yet. Also a better deal at around $5 for 3 big balls.

A very significant percentage. Why? Because they've always been very, very, very accommodating to children and to parents who want to eat well accompanied by their children. Probably more so, I would venture, than any other DC restaurant of even vaguely comparable quality. But don't let their unimpeachable past track record stop you from completely writing them off based on an unsourced report by a no-name blogger about what they may or may not be planning to do in the future.

A very significant percentage. Why? Because they've always been very, very, very accommodating to children and to parents who want to eat well accompanied by their children. Probably more so, I would venture, than any other DC restaurant of even vaguely comparable quality. But don't let their unimpeachable past track record stop you from completely writing them off based on an unsourced report by a no-name blogger about what they may or may not be planning to do in the future.
You know I always take the word of some asshole on the internet as opposed to my own experience. Did I say I was writing them off? I probably won't, but they're pretty low on my list.

I haven't found them very, very, very accomodating. They provide high chairs, and have a great deal of ambient noise. That's it. The food has been hit or miss the last couple of times we've been there.

Wow. I was there Saturday night and were advised that they were opening the 2nd level. Nothing was said about it being adults only. They are very child friendly, and their pizzas are hit or miss. Don, what is the name of the Shakespeare play? Is it 'Much To Do About Nothing'?

Wow. I was there Saturday night and were advised that they were opening the 2nd level. Nothing was said about it being adults only. They are very child friendly, and their pizzas are hit or miss. Don, what is the name of the Shakespeare play? Is it 'Much To Do About Nothing'?

Shakespeare wrote that play about DC United. It was entitled Much Adu About Nothing.

Unfortunately the opinion that having a lot of boisterous children in 2Amys on a Saturday night is a bad thing, is not an abberation. There will always those who do not enjoy being around a lot of young children eating pizza. 2Amy's is being responsive to this by giving those types a choice. They will be able to go from home to work to dinner and back home without ever having to interact with a child or a family. If that is how they want to live, so be it. There are also going to be those who are around kids all day long and just want a nice Calgon dinner. [Not that an adult-only upstairs with a bar will be any less noisy or rowdy.]

Great comment!!! Thats it, you hit the nail on the head! I do not enjoy being around a lot of young people eating pizza. I must be a glutton for punishment as I eat here weekly. How many times have you been here?

Children will be an incovenience for customers in the upstairs dining room because the staircase is very narrow and you must navigate the entire restaurant with the stroller before you get to the aforementioned narrow staircase. I think I am a reliable source...then again....

Welcome, pizza man!

I have noticed that my recent (still delicious) pizzas have been ever-so-slightly less-baked than in the past, to the point that, even without gloppy toppings, the middles aren't as crisp/structural. I'd pass a single one off as an oven-position aberration, but now it's four or five. They're still delicious, so I don't bother to ask at the time, but I wonder if there's been a change in approach to pizza doneness in the last six months at 2 Amys?

I am more interested in your ice cream which is, overall, the best in the D. C. area. What kind of a machine do you use to freeze the custard? Do you have a standard base? Two parts heavy cream to one part milk? Lewes Dairy?

Children will be an incovenience for customers in the upstairs dining room because the staircase is very narrow and you must navigate the entire restaurant with the stroller before you get to the aforementioned narrow staircase. I think I am a reliable source...then again....

That is assuming that parents actually use strollers. That is assuming that parents would find walking through the restaurant to be an "inconvenience". Wish you well with your second floor. My family and I won't be there.

That is assuming that parents actually use strollers. That is assuming that parents would find walking through the restaurant to be an "inconvenience". Wish you well with your second floor. My family and I won't be there.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Don't forget what happens when you "assume".

You should bring the kids in...just put them in 1 of those strappy kid carriers that hangs off your chest (or if they are big enough just let them walk)

Walk right up to the waitress and declare, "We want to sit upstairs and we will not take no for an answer."

That would be fun.

Heck, I might try it with my 2 kids (and they can be really annoying)

She can't say, "no". Its Cleveland park and the customer is always right.

meh.

:blink:

You should bring the kids in...just put them in 1 of those strappy kid carriers that hangs off your chest (or if they are big enough just let them walk)

Walk right up to the waitress and declare, "We want to sit upstairs and we will not take no for an answer."

That would be fun.

Heck, I might try it with my 2 kids (and they can be really annoying)

She can't say, "no". Its Cleveland park and the customer is always right.

meh.

:blink:

I wonder how different the upstairs actually is. Like is it any different from the downstairs? Sorry I haven't been by in a little while so I don't know if the construction is done yet. Personally, I like sitting at the bar, even with my son in tow. -- stroller, car seat, backpack, whatever.

What is this "sexy salt" you speak of KeithA?
My guess is that it is a brand of special salt that like everything else uses sex to sell. 2 Amys lists it as an ingredient on a lot of specials. My take is that it is a larger salt crystal - a gourmet kosher salt.

By the way, I haven't heard this anywhere, but it did pop into my mind once, and it must surely be:

"sexy salt" = "sec sea salt."

N'est-ce pas?

Rox.

What is this "sexy salt" you speak of KeithA?

See Don's old post above.

Returned to 2Amys tonight for a nice bite to eat out on the patio. Dreamt of crispy pizza, cold hefenvwesien sp? and creamy sorbet to finish. Started out with the goat cheese and asparagus crostini, so good I ordered another. Then I was ready for my cold, perfect warm weather beer....but they were out of hef and I opted for hop pocket. Good, but not in the way that I had been craving, oh well. After that I had a clam pizza with ramps and the wife had the calabrezze, her default. Everything about the pizza was fine but I am curious to find out from others what the response to the new dough has been. Personally, I didn't like it. It was tasty enough but I've come to expect crisp, char, flavor from the pizza at 2 amys and instead got one that was doughy, floppy but reasonalby tasty, in fact my wife prefers the new crust....

So what do you guys think, is it a good change or is it a change at all? I've read other post about floppy, doughy crust and it does seem to be an anomoly, yet all the pizzas I saw tonight looked more like this than in the past. I have to say, this is the first time that I have had a pizza here that wasn't exactly the same as the one I had before it. This was almost the anti 2amy's.

I've had two pizzas since the regime change and mine have had no change.

The Margherita I had two Saturdays ago was crispier, exactly the way I like it...personally I don't like the crust as much when the it's soft and floppy...but all one has to do to guarantee that is to ask their server to tell the kitchen to cook it a little longer than usual.

The Margherita I had two Saturdays ago was crispier, exactly the way I like it...personally I don't like the crust as much when the it's soft and floppy...but all one has to do to guarantee that is to ask their server to tell the kitchen to cook it a little longer than usual.

That is what I do and the pizza turns out perfectly every time.

I've had two pizzas since the regime change and mine have had no change.

"New dough"? "Regime change"?

Huh?

I was there last week -- all the old faces, including Peter Pastan, and no discernible change in crust. Did I sleep through something?

I would think a place of this caliber would have the cooking down by now. :blink:
It wouldn't shock me if they dialed back the standard doneness by a few seconds to please the kiddies who think black stuff is eeewwwww. Of course, if that's the case, the waiters should ask patrons for their preferred doneness level.

Two Saturdays in a row I ordered the same pizza: The Margherita Extra. A basic pizze D.O.C. with cherry tomatoes. Last week the center was soft and floppy, difficult to even cut. This week's pizza was an entirely different experience, crisp all the way through and fantastic.

This week was a bit of a 2 Amy's pig out. We had all three appetizers: stuffed fried squash blossoms, carpaccio, and that heavenly fava bean crostini. I would skip the first two and order extra servings of the crostini. For dessert we had the deviled eggs, which continue to be one of my favorite versions in the city.

Got out to 2 Amy's for the first time and left encouraged that there is good pizza in the DC area (even if the environment isn't ideal for my taste).

We started off with the deviled eggs (I've become a bit obsessed as of late) and enjoyed them, although I wasn't crazy about the texture of the included yolk, it made them seem a bit goopy to me. Salt and pepper was required even with the anchovie-pesto sauce that was included, but there were certainly a decent start.

Next was the star of the show: the Ripieno Extra Ricotta. I loved the dough (it was a bit soft, but I like my calzone/stuffed pizze to be a bit softer as it is thick and should be doughy) and the pork inside was splendid. I would have preferred heavier sauce and maybe a little less ricotta, but that is a minor complaint and something I will inquire about next time I order. This pizza gave me hope that I had lost after Matchbox started its decline several months back that I will have a relatively inexpensive go-to pizza place that is close enough to where I live.

Unfortunately, the little lady got the downer of the meal; a pizza topped with white truffle oil, asparagus, carmelized onions, and a grated cheese similar to parm that I cannot remember. All fun, good sounding ingredients but a sweet, sticky mess when combined. She got through about 1/10 of it before she pushed it away and gave up. This needed more cheese (which I rarely say, I always like less cheese on my pizza, but this needed some cohesiveness), less onions (sweet doesn't work on pizza unless it's tangy like pineapple, in my opinion) and something other than truffle oil for a sauce. Nice idea that really doesn't work.

Based on what we saw, though, we are really looking forward to heading back for another round, the kiddies and cramped seating is a bit much after a while, but good pizza and a friendly atmosphere are enough to bring me back for another go.

Unfortunately, the little lady got the downer of the meal; a pizza topped with white truffle oil, asparagus, carmelized onions, and a grated cheese similar to parm that I cannot remember. All fun, good sounding ingredients but a sweet, sticky mess when combined. She got through about 1/10 of it before she pushed it away and gave up. This needed more cheese (which I rarely say, I always like less cheese on my pizza, but this needed some cohesiveness), less onions (sweet doesn't work on pizza unless it's tangy like pineapple, in my opinion) and something other than truffle oil for a sauce. Nice idea that really doesn't work.
Yeah, too little sauce or cheese is one problem with some of 2Amys pizza creations. When they forego tomato sauce, sometimes it works, but often I find it is too dry. Like you, I still like trying these creations and when its a dud, sometimes the way to fix it is to ask for a side of sauce that you can add a bit from.

I also went last week and had the usual good Margherita. But thought it worthy to comment on some of the appettizers. First, we had the salt cod croquettes again - which were fried perfect, but saltier than usual. Also, still don't know why they serve 3 - instead of 4 - making it a fight among a foursome. Also had the white beans with chives and oil. This sounded good - but ended up being rather plain. The beans could use longer cooking, but the chive-flecked oil was very tasty on the bread. Lastly, we had the special ricotta with arugula - which was very good. A nice amount of light fluffy cheese to go with nicely dressed salad. The best of the night.

I finally made the trip from Germantown just to try 2 Amys after reading all the rave reviews in the press and online. Was it worth it? Nope! Very disappointing! I ordered the DOC Margarita. It was so thin and soggy it was difficult cut. There was barely any sauce and the cheese was mostly melted into a watery puddle. My partner had the regular 2 Amys and it wasn't any better. Actually we couldn't tell the difference why one was "DOC" and the other was not. (assuming the type of cheese).

For $28+tip for 2 pizzas and 2 sodas, this was extremely overpriced. Mama Lucia's pizza is better.

A special on the small plates list that's not to be missed: fava bean crostini. A pale green puree of beans with a texture similar to hummus generously spread on two toasted baguette slices, topped with olive oil and parmesan shavings. Like spring (summer?) on a plate.

Although I love the pizza at 2 Amy's, I always, always enjoy the starters and small plates more. Haven't had a clunker yet.

A special on the small plates list that's not to be missed: fava bean crostini. A pale green puree of beans with a texture similar to hummus generously spread on two toasted baguette slices, topped with olive oil and parmesan shavings. Like spring (summer?) on a plate.

Although I love the pizza at 2 Amy's, I always, always enjoy the starters and small plates more. Haven't had a clunker yet.

I've been on a 2 Amy's kick lately-mainly because of the fava bean crostini. From the bottom of my stomach I thank the unfortunate people who have to shell those damn things. They are unbelievable.

Another sign of summer is the chanterelle, squash blossom, cipollini, and chive pizza. Perfectly cooked-not soggy in the middle at all-with delicate flavors that force you to pay attention to what you are eating to enjoy the subtle flavors. I use the crust to sop up the leftover olive oil and salt from the crostini.

Finally gave the the Pork Sausage a try on Saturday night and cannot see myself ordering a pizza from 2 Amy's again without that and pancetta on it. Throw on the polpettine's and you have the best pizza that I have tasted in the DC area. Perfect char and nice strong, acidy (word?) tasting sauce to even out the copious amounts of pork grease swimming on top of the cheese ;)

A 2 Amy's pork sausage, pancetta and polpettine pizza. Whoda thunk? ;) How did the crust hold up under all that meat, cheese and grease?

I'd be lying if I told you it didn't take two hands to eat each slice (one on the crust, one supporting the collapsing middle), but it was surprisingly not soggy given all the variables listed above.

That video made me really hungry. Jesus. I think next time I'm at 2 Amy's, I'm going to get a SuperMeat, which entails ordering the big charcuterie plate, not touching it until your Marguerita Extra comes, and then dumping the whole damn thing on top of the pizza.

What results will most likely be my own personal heaven.

Welcome, pizza man!

I have noticed that my recent (still delicious) pizzas have been ever-so-slightly less-baked than in the past, to the point that, even without gloppy toppings, the middles aren't as crisp/structural. I'd pass a single one off as an oven-position aberration, but now it's four or five. They're still delicious, so I don't bother to ask at the time, but I wonder if there's been a change in approach to pizza doneness in the last six months at 2 Amys?

there is a difference: softer, breadier, less elastic, easier to cut with a knife, and i agree they are still delicious.

mango sorbet the other night was creamy and luscious, a first bite delivering an assertive mango flavor that then backs down and turns lemony.