Stretch

2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - Reopening Mon, Sep 24 at 5 PM!

Most of you probably already know this, but the big salumi plate is too much pork for two people, especially when followed by two pizzas. I was unable to eat anything until noon today. :)

Ice cream update: Key Lime last night. OK if you like that sort of thing. I didn't.

I am dumbfounded that you and your hot date couldn't finish any amount of pork. Then again, I would have had it first :lol:

Enjoyed some of the excellent heirloom tomato salad at 2 Amy's last night. The salad is made up of thick slices of a variety of tomatoes sprinkled with salt and olive oil. The great part is that it is only $5! Puts to shame the $12 version that I had a Dino last summer where the plate only contained 5 thin slices.

Oh yeah, the grande salumi plate is great too!

Scott was dying to try this place after having my leftover pizza and especially once he heard they had Tupper's Hop Pocket on tap. So we went back with the kids. Scott and I split the anchovies and Emma got a small plate of the picholines to start. For our mains, Emma and Ian got a plain pie, Scott got the Vongole, and I had a pie with prosciutto and arugula. Emma nabbed half of my arugula for her pizza, a good thing because the initial amount was too much.

The prosciutto is wonderful on its own but boring as hell on the pizza, and the arugula would benefit from being just a little dressed. The Vongole was delicious. I know there are some not willing to drink the kool-ade, but the crust there is easily the best I have had in the Washington area. I have a bad jones for char though so other milage may vary. The blackberry chocolate chip ice cream was a bit too sweet, but much more pleasing than the key lime pie. Both kids scarfed it up. Scott got the vanilla and whie it's good, it's very eggy and not to his taste.

I had dismissed 2 Amy's as being "too far" but from Rockville it's easy to zip down MacArthur Blvd and cut across. And the noise level isn't an issue with kids 7 and 4 years old. :lol:

(Is it me, or can the clientele be so preppy as to make one's jaw clench involuntarily? :) )

(Is it me, or can the clientele be so preppy as to make one's jaw clench involuntarily? :lol: )

We'll help populate the place tomorrow with the unprepared, so my question is about location. Can you get there from Tenleytown metro, walking down Wisconsin for a 10-15 minute walk, and by down I mean southward? Is that true? Thanks :)

Can you get there from Tenleytown metro, walking down Wisconsin for a 10-15 minute walk, and by down I mean southward? Is that true? Thanks :)
That's a bit optimistic, but it's certainly within walking distance. Alternatively, you could hop on any of the 30s busses that run down Wisconsin. Get off at Macomb.

I've never done it, but I wonder if walking from Cleveland Park via Porter might be just as fast... Get thee to Google maps!

I've never done it, but I wonder if walking from Cleveland Park via Porter might be just as fast... Get thee to Google maps!
The answer is emphatically, NO! It is quite a hike from Connecticut and Porter to Wisconsin and Porter from the Cleveland Park Metro. The best route is the Tenleytown Metro and any of the buses going south. Depending on the time of day, there won't be a long wait. Further, it is all downhill from the Metro and I regularly do this to go to Johnson's Nursery at Wisconsin and Van Ness. Depending on how much stuff I have to carry, I will easily walk to Newark Street to catch my bus home.

I had dismissed 2 Amy's as being "too far" but from Rockville it's easy to zip down MacArthur Blvd and cut across. And the noise level isn't an issue with kids 7 and 4 years old. :)
2 Amy's isn't "too far" from Burke, VA! That is, if you like their style, which we do. Wood fire, extremely thin crust (when I think "thin crust" vs. "thick crust" Pizza Hut comes to mind and this is an entirely different world) , pureness, emphasis on quality rather than quantity.

I grew up on thick chewy crusts from a gas fired oven, with tons of melted cheese, which is great for comfort food. But whatever style you call 2 Amy's and Pizza Paradiso, that's what we love now. It's too austere for comfort food, nevertheless I find it comforting.

2 Amy's has a slight edge over Pizza Paradiso but harder to get to for us than Georgetown so we don't go as often. Definitely worth a trip over the river, definitely worth the gas, even over $3 gallon.

Good beer on tap and nice side dishes really help, as does the pleasant ambience.

The answer is emphatically, NO! It is quite a hike from Connecticut and Porter to Wisconsin and Porter from the Cleveland Park Metro. The best route is the Tenleytown Metro and any of the buses going south. Depending on the time of day, there won't be a long wait. Further, it is all downhill from the Metro and I regularly do this to go to Johnson's Nursery at Wisconsin and Van Ness. Depending on how much stuff I have to carry, I will easily walk to Newark Street to catch my bus home.

walking from the cleveland park metro one block beyond the uptown theatre and (make a right) following macomb all the way to the restaurant is the same -- 20 minutes, uphill, but it's a far nicer walk than along wisconsin avenue from tenley circle.

walking from the cleveland park metro one block beyond the uptown theatre and (make a right) following macomb all the way to the restaurant is the same -- 20 minutes, uphill, but it's a far nicer walk than along wisconsin avenue from tenley circle.

Yes, I think its actually faster to walk up Macomb from Cleveland Park than it is from Tenleytown. Either way, you're looking at a walk of about 20-25 minutes.

I've had luck going early. Like (waiting in line) before they open on the weekends or arriving before 5p during the week. I missed lunch at work a couple of weeks ago and treated myself to an early dinner. It was a wholly different place -- like a cool, airy café that nobody's heard of -- dreamlike.

I caught this piece done with the WaPo GOGs on yesterday's CH9 evening news-nowcast (click on video link).

Too bad their reporting didn't clue the viewers about the parking...

Lydia hit the nail on the head. 2 Amys is the best Italian wine bar I've seen in the US outside of New York City. But only between 2 and 4pm.

I really like 2Amy's neighborhood-y feel, and from some of the people I've talked to there (pretty friendly crowd), it strikes the same chord for a lot of people. I love the bartenders, and on my several visits, they were great. The wines by the glass are pretty decent, and the bottle prices very gentle (this is a pizzeria after all). My only regret is that I didn't bring companions, because there was a bland sameness to all the dishes I tried, except for the excellent charcuterie!

The fried rice balls were delicious on first bite, but became boring real fast-five are only good if you're sharing. Same with the fennel and gorgonzola, swimming in a pool of bland olive oil, beans w/bottarga (ballsy, but, well, beans), the porchetti-first bite heaven, third bite-pedestrian. I could go on, but the pizza's the thing here, and I found the crust bland as well. Wasn't knocked out by the calzone, either. Everything could use a little sea salt or something-some zing, or zip.

Pretty good drinks n snacks fare, great staff, nice friendly environment, typical DC-kids, parents, people on dates, Chris Matthews. I rode my bike there, so parking wasn't an issue. Definitely will return soon to the bar for the conviviality, and the ham. Bust that Smithfield, dammit!

i have found on every visit i have been, that pretty much every small plate, salad and appetizer lack zing, salt or whatever you might want to call it....except the salt cod salad which was so overly salty.

the pizza is usually pretty good; the wines by the bottle amazingly affordable and the desserts pretty good. everything else, i have learned to stay away from, no matter how good it sounds.

We made it there Friday by metro from Silver Spring, taking the bus down from Tenleytown as suggested by Barbara upthread, no problems. Take bus 30, 32, or 36 from Tenleytown metro. There is a bus stop right at Macomb street.

My wife had a salad of heirloom tomatoes with ricotta cheese, then the Abruzzee with Polpettine (little meatballs), Sliced Garlic, Parsley, Pecornio, and I had the Etna with Eggplant Confit, Tomato Puree, Olives, Capers, Sicilian Oregano, Grana, and goat cheese on top. Wow!

Now is the time of year for eggplant!

when the kitchen door is open and a cook is standing there panting, watch out if you can't take the heat, because early last night it was hotter inside the dining room than it was outside, where a couple of dozen people were cooling their heels waiting for their turn on the list. zucchini croquettes and eggplant in anchovy sauce were worth the discomfort, but by the time you're digging into your pizza special #2 with hot sausage, fontina, yellow tomatoes and onions, also good, you'll start to notice that any ice left in your water glass has melted and perspiration is setting in. about this time, your neighbor is up from the table and explaining to you that he is taking out a wasp behind your wife's chair. he has grown expert at this from practice at home, and it turns out it was a yellow jacket, and you know how relentless those can be. if one of the dozens of small children populating the restaurant does get stung, however, at least you won't hear them screaming, the decibel level is that high. our waitress is moving her mouth but we're not sure what's coming out. you can get the thermostat down some before you leave with a bowl of raspberry lemon sorbet, but the baba with fruit is also worth ordering, especially if you have never seen it on the menu before and you eat it slowly, but in the thermal department it is just about useless. a few blocks back home, tivo mysteriously has recorded a program on maine cows and before you know it you are in the reviewing stands for, among other things, a best udder competition. i have never seen udders like these, i marvel to my wife. yes, she says, but i don't think that two amy's will be moving to crystal city anytime soon.

Had my first experience at 2 Amy's tonight and I liked it quite alot. The Crust was chewy, crisp and flavorful from the wood fired oven. I had the clam and my wife had the Puttenesca. I liked the way the tomato sauce served as a contrast from my pizza which had no sauce. I very much enjoyed the rillettes as they were everything I would expect them to be, creamy, meaty, fatty goodness. My wife had the escarole salad and said she didn't like it, to bitter, but devoured it nonetheless. :) I really have to say that the most brillant things we ate tonight however were the desserts. She hade the special pastry filled with riccotta and I had the blueberry-peach sorbet. Both were incredibly simple but perfectly executed. I really appreciate a sorbet that taste good, has the creamy texture because the temperature is correct and has no ice crystals in it, perfectly executed. The special, highly recommended by all the employees, was the sorbets equal. Crispy, flaky pastry filled with sweetened riccota and served with sweet cream ice cream. A difficult task is making a filled pasrty crisp enough to shatter when you cut it with your spoon, this literally exploded, fantastic.

I enjoyed the pizza enough but I truely enjoyed the dessert. Wonderful neighborhood spot.

I've eaten here many times but tonight really was a highlight. Everything we ate was delicious, but especially wanted to mention the proscuitto and white bean crostini, the delicious sausage with "hotties" and "sweeties" pizza special and the incredible pear with caramel swirl ice cream.

I think I have a better appreciation for this place now that I've eaten there again. This time I had the pizza with the little meat balls, I added cherry toms to it. I think that, for me, slight mods to the standard fare make it more to my taste. I think that the crust is something that all other pizza joints in town should envy and strive to emulate. I had a debate with my boss about the relative merits of 2 Amys and Pizza Paridiso, and while I have enjoyed the other in the past, I find 2 Amys more to my liking now. Maybe like the difference in beer you drink while in college and that which you enjoy as an adult. I think 2 Amys pizza is more refine, more restrained and balanced; whereas PP's pizza is loaded and all out. Now that I'm all growed up...I think I like the restraint :)

I think that, for me, slight mods to the standard fare make it more to my taste.
Exactly right. I often order a Margherita with one extra topping....usually the eggplant confit, arugula, or sausage, depending on my mood.

I recently finally made it to 2 Amy's....the pizza definately lived up to all the hype. The crust was perfect and the toppings weren't over the top! The only complaint was the total price. One pizza, 2 glasses of wine, and 2 appetizers came out to way more than we thought. But that was definately our fault. Can't wait to get back for more since they just ruined all other pizza in the area for me...

Just wanted to mention my last 2 visits to 2Amy's, as all the food I ate was superlative-a huge (at least 30) plate of GREAT fried anchovy bones, which, puzzlingly, went really well with my red wine; breakfast radishes with bread and butter that were cool and crunchy, but definitely did NOT go with red wine; rabbit and pork rilletes rimmed with a couple of fingers of fat-creamy and very rich, very satisfying; and a crostini of duck confit over leek puree that contained a lot of complex flavors (incuding salty!). Really had a good time on both visits, even though MPD busted the bartender on my last visit.

Well, not that I've ever been short of an opinion but.................I think Two Amy's pizza margherita is outstanding but I've yet to find another pizza there that I like as much. I also believe their ice cream is the best in the D. C. area of any restaurant or store.

We got takeout from 2 Amy's on Friday night due to a sick baby and dreary weather. My husband wanted to order the suppli and I was slightly concerned as to how they would hold up. I was very pleasantly surprised when we got home and they were still piping hot and crispy. Maybe this belongs in a takeout thread, but their containers have little holes punched in the top, which I think helps prevent sogginess.

Side note, when I went in to pick up, I saw on the counter an order of meatballs. OMG, did they look good! Has anyone had them and if so, how are they?