2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - No Longer DOCG Pizza, but Who Cares?

Saturday evening dinner at 2 Amy's confirmed why I love this place, shortcomings and all. Heirloom tomatoes with sheep's milk ricotta - fantastic. The olive oil and salt they use here are superb - not sure where they source them but they almost make the dish. Mixed green salad was a bit underdressed, which was disappointing since I love the marriage of the subtle dressing and the sharp tang of the arugula. Followed up with the usual margherita pizza for me and marinara for my wife. Both fantastic, especially with Grotta del Sole, their fizzy red wine. I think it's funny that the word FIZZY is bolded on the wine list and that the server also cautioned that it was fizzy when i ordered. I guess maybe it catches some people off-guard but I like it, especially in the summer My daughter loved her polpettine too. Pacing was not an issue this night either and the service was prompt and courteous. Altogether a fantastic evening. I love this place.

• Like 1

Spent Tuesday evening in a very uncrowded dining room (due to the small bit of snow we had that evening) which was probably a weeknight first for me.

This place continuously hits home runs...between the delicious pizza (Etna, extra crispy), good wine (Cataldi Madonna Montepulciano), great cheese (ricotta with chives and olive oil, gorgonzola with chestnut honey), and the numerous limoncellos I left completely happy. To date, I have yet to experience the "soupy" pizza that some complain about (granted, I always order mine extra crispy) and even when I've stopped in at the most busy of times, still come away satisfied.

Spent Tuesday evening in a very uncrowded dining room (due to the small bit of snow we had that evening) which was probably a weeknight first for me.

This place continuously hits home runs...between the delicious pizza (Etna, extra crispy), good wine (Cataldi Madonna Montepulciano), great cheese (ricotta with chives and olive oil, gorgonzola with chestnut honey), and the numerous limoncellos I left completely happy. To date, I have yet to experience the "soupy" pizza that some complain about (granted, I always order mine extra crispy) and even when I've stopped in at the most busy of times, still come away satisfied.

We were there late after a movie Wednesday night. Sat at the bar and ordered from the small plates there. White beans, pickled sardines, fried cauliflower, beef tendon salad, duck prosciutto and sauerkraut and ended with ricotta with acacia honey and pine nuts. The pickled sardines and fried cauliflower are deeply deeply flavorful but everything was delicious. The sourdough bread is excellent.

So I think I've figured it out. 2 Amys is still the restaurant it once was, it's just much much much better if you go when the place is half full as opposed to bursting at the seams. Last night at 6:00, we strolled in and took our seats at the bar (the upstairs was completely empty and a little too quiet) and received the friendliest service we have ever gotten here from our sweetheart of a waitress. The Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Crostino could have been heavier on the salmon and lighter on the cheese, but the bread was outstanding and it was a nice little app to start. I have a weakness for Cannelini Beans, simply prepared in EVOO with some salt and pepper, and my wife loved the Eggplant Parm, which was a bit sweet for my taste.

The highlight of the meal, though, was shockingly the pizza. Pardon my language but HOLY SHIT where was this pie the last 10 times I was here?? Cooked (truly) well done with their delicious sausage, pancetta, and prosciutto, this pie was good enough to make me forget about some of the soggy, underdone messes I've gotten here in the past and start thinking about the next time I can get back here. Great char and still a little soggy in the very center, but that was understandable with all of the greasy pork I had them pile on. Most important for me was the outer 3 inches of the pie were the perfect balance of chewy and crunchy that I love to see in a great Neapolitan pizza.

With such a marked improvement over previous pies and service, I would have to asssume that it had something to do with the fact that the ovens and staff weren't overburdened by the typically huge crowd they have in the restaurant during peak hours. With this knowledge, I think our future visits to 2 Amys will probably not be on Thursday-Sunday nights and preferably earlier in service. The (quieter) version of this restaurant that I went to last night served up one of the best casual dining experiences I have had in DC.

ETA: Get the Spiced Caramel Ice Cream if they have it and you have room for dessert. Hot damn.

Quick dinner at 2 Amys tonight. Had the best rendition of eggplant Parmesean I have ever eaten. Soft, melting eggplant with basil, tomato sauce and a crisp layer of broiled Parmesan. Best Eva!

i have had this before, and totally agree, except the last two times it was heavily charred on the surface, not obliterated and surprisingly good despite the bitterness, but hardly the best ever, and not the best they can make it.

what was the best ever, for me, who had only had them once before, were the pig ears. the strands of fried ear were thick enough to provide some chomping through the cartilage, and the pork flavor, when it did appear, was reminiscent of bacon grease. the fries were powdered here and there with red pepper, not raising the temperature of the pig one bit, which cools down fairly fast, before you even have a chance to wipe the slick off your lips. although served as an appetizer, this dish really should be shared. i started losing some interest about halfway through but finished the plate nevertheless; this isn't something you can share with the sort of dining companion who doesn't like eating soft-shell crabs because they remind her too much of biting her nails.

mustard might have been nice with the ear, but it didn't show up at our meal until we finished things off with an open-faced pork loin panino, dressed with a sweet sauerkraut and red and green pepper diced small to resemble confetti. pork -- in the form of pancetta -- also appeared on a special pizza, but it imparted a saltiness that drowned out the subdued flavor of the artichoke in the topping. anyway, 2 amys was throwing a veritable pork feast the night we were there, comparable to what palena has been doing lately with veal all over its cafe and back dining room menus.

the predominant spice in the caramel ice cream is ginger.

the beer selection here is easily giving the tranfomed alliance tavern across the street a run for its money. (from just one visit but several walk-bys, it looks like the switch from wine to beer is an ingenious way to rev up business.) a draft chocarubbica ($12.50, I believe) went well with the food, with both the cocoa and coffee beans pleasantly subdued. it may sound exotic but is a fairly quiet beer and easy to finish. even expanded, the two amy's beer list doesn't run all that long, but it seems driven by the same high level of ambition behind the list at birch and barley, where a few of the offerings even go so far as to redefine beer. they aren't playing that game at alliance, which these days i guess you could call a sports bar.

If you can get over to 2Amys to order the current batch of octopus salad, hurry thee! It is so meaty and firm. It is without any, any, any of the chewiness or bounciness octopus sometimes shows. Decorated with citrus and dill, you'll ignore the wonderful fresh herbs and flavors and dwell on how perfectly the octopus is cooked.

Other worthy and recent additions include the roasted artichokes with prosciutto and mint and the braised fennel with green olives and anchovy. The fennel dish was solid, but a bit lacking in true fennel/anise essence. But the green olives were salty and rich and this dish borrows the nuttiness the cauliflower with anchovy dish typically displays. Must be the shared anchovy ingredient.

The ice cream menu hasn't included the roasted pineapple flavor in a long, long time. It's back. Get this. Remember Gillian Clark's heavenly pineapple upside down cake at Colorado Kitchen? Take the buttery flavors, the nutty caramel flavors, the slight crunch, and the sweet pineapple and swathe it in 2Amys' decadent vanilla ice cream. Brilliant!

If tonight's display at the wine bar is any indication, things are about to go seasonal and revised at 2Amys. This is welcome news. A few new cocktails (I can't believe I just wrote that word, as I detest it) are on the blackboard. Should be a refreshing and tasty spring and summer at this neighborhood favorite.

I would like to try 2 Amys but I am restricted to evenings and weekends. Is there any good time to beat the crowds? I hear that they function better when they aren't packed.

Two of us got one of the tables by the bar pretty easily around 6:30pm. I've also gone close to 5:30 on weekdays and had no problems. I've gone in pretty late on Saturdays and had the place practically to myself.

Do many people go to 2 Amy's who don't want their pizza cut into slices?

I ask because I am always bewildered when the pizza comes to the table as a unified whole - and when I ask if the server can cut it, the server looks somewhat put out, and has to walk away to get the slicer and then come back.

What is going on? Is this one of those embarrassing things where I've always assumed I was doing things the correct way but have really been totally off my rocker? Or is this one piece of the overall 2 Amy's experience, which seems to be designed to give delicious food in a completely uncomfortable environment so that you will go away more quickly? (One exception is that last night a waitress was very nice, which is not my normal experience there, either).

I ask because I am always bewildered when the pizza comes to the table as a unified whole - and when I ask if the server can cut it, the server looks somewhat put out, and has to walk away to get the slicer and then come back.

What is going on? Is this one of those embarrassing things where I've always assumed I was doing things the correct way but have really been totally off my rocker? Or is this one piece of the overall 2 Amy's experience, which seems to be designed to give delicious food in a completely uncomfortable environment so that you will go away more quickly? (One exception is that last night a waitress was very nice, which is not my normal experience there, either).

I can't speak for Naples, but I've seen many Europeans eating pizzas such as these with a knife and fork, from the outside in (yes, your first bite is 100% crust). Sometimes I do it that way, and sometimes I get it sliced - there is no right or wrong answer.

If I order from the Italian Store, I'll always pick the slice up, and fold it in half before I start attacking it (in terms of etiquette, I do try and keep my elbow elevated so the grease doesn't run down my forearm) - I wouldn't do that at a Paris café, but sheet mon, you're next door to Cactus Cantina drinking wines out of tumblers, so do what you want.

Cheers,

Rocks.

We spent a week in Rome with a couple of kids, so we saw a lot of pizza. Not once did it come sliced. Then again, 2 Amys is not in Italy.

I generally ask for mine to be cut (in addition to being "extra crispy" or "well done") when I place my order. It's never been an issue.

I have a little insight into this. Cutting the pizza is not done in Naples, everyone cuts their own pizza, and then either picks it up, folds it, and then eat it, or they simply spear it on the fork and eat it that way. In the past pizza was served by street vendors, and eaten while walking, (folded libretto style), or it was served directly on the marble table of the pizzeria. The dough essentially serving as the "plate".

I feel that if you are making a particularly nice looking pizza, slicing it ruins the presentation in addition to adding to the "soggy" center effect-all the hot juice running down between the slices and pooling in the center of plate.

At the very least, if the customer does not ask for their pizza sliced at the time of ordering, it should be presented to them whole, in it's intended state, and then it can be sliced upon request.

We spent a week in Rome with a couple of kids, so we saw a lot of pizza. Not once did it come sliced. Then again, 2 Amys is not in Italy.

Yes, I suppose it's partly because "when in Rome . . .," but I imagine it's also because the Romans do it for a reason, and Peter Pastan has concluded that the reason is a good one. Just guessing here as to what that reason might be, but I think it's that the pizza loses its heat much quicker once it's sliced. I never get my pizza cut when it's to go, because if it's sliced then by the time it gets home it has lost all its luster.

Sam, I'm sorry you've experienced surly waitstaff -- a complaint I hear often. Odd thing that is, because I find the staff at 2 Amys to be uniformly the friendliest and most helpful of any restaurant I know. Perhaps it's because we're there about ten times a month, but we always receive stellar and gracious service. That's why I think of it as the very best sort of neighborhood restaurant. Latest revelations: pancetta on the margherita; eggplant parm; pork loin panini; fava bean crostini; walnut-caramel and pineapple ice creams. Can't wait to try the octopus salad and the fennel dish. Oh, and the rotating draft beers are great, too.

This is the longest period of time I've ever gone between visits at 2 Amys - I had carryout six months ago, but it has probably been almost a year since I've been in. Mistake.

Like Sushi-Ko, you can get a pretty good idea of the quality of 2 Amys by the people you see eating here on Sunday nights, i.e., don't be surprised if you run into some of the best chefs in the city. At almost 9 PM, this place remained packed, and deservedly so. The lights at the bar are so bright that it feels like you're dining inside an operating room, but it's worth it for what you'll get - I've never found anything but rock-solid service here from some of the best food bartenders I've ever come across (in particular, I'm thinking of the incredibly efficient girl (with a couple tattoos), and one of the great unheralded figures in DC dining, "the guy on the menu.")

The wine list remains perhaps the best bargain list in the entire DC area, with the vast majority of bottles under $40, and probably half of them priced in the $20s. I got a bottle of 2006 Cantina di Venosa "Terre di Orazio" ($27 (A dry Moscato)) that went with every course, and then some.

Six small plates ordered (all served at room temperature), listed in ascending order of preference:

6. Cauliflower with anchovy, garlic, and hot pepper ($6) - Dominated by savage, cuttingly overt garlic, the only major failure of the evening. One bite of this, and you're vampire-free for a week.

5. Asparagus with Roasted Peppers and Egg ($6) - A rather boring dish, looking almost like a three-bean salad but having a very neutral, dull flavor that even an egg couldn't save.

4. White Bean and Mussel Salad ($6) - These were probably smoked mussels from a jar (which I enjoy), and they worked surprisingly well with the cool, mild, well-cooked white beans.

3. Rabbit Stuffed with Rapini and Pecorino Cheese ($7.5) - Cut from a tired-looking loaf, this was anything but tired, delicious, moist, and whatever it was wrapped in was great too.

2. Ember-Roasted Eggplant with Smoked Ricotta and Mint ($6) - Laughably phallic, this was an unbelievable combination of flavors, incredibly high-quality ingredients.

1. Burrata di Bufala ($7.50) - the best Burrata I've ever eaten, period. Drizzled with good olive oil, sprinkled with just the right amount of salts, and (importantly) served with fantastic, fresh-cut bread. This is as good as food gets.

So how good was the Burrata? Well, I got a second bottle of the wine to go (they had to open it and pour a sip, by law, then stick the cork back in and bag it). But there's also a second order of Burrata sitting in my fridge, right now. And I can't wait to have at it.

Cheers,

Rocks

The wine list remains the best bargain list in the entire DC area, with the vast majority of bottles under $40, and probably half of them priced in the $20s. I got a bottle of 2006 Cantina di Venosa "Terre di Orazio" ($27 (A dry Moscato)) that went with every course, and then some.

I have not had the wine, but they use the pomace from it to make my favorite grappa.

5. Asparagus with Roasted Peppers and Egg ($6) - A rather boring dish, looking almost like a three-bean salad but having a very neutral, dull flavor that even an egg couldn't save.

Try the fried asparagus on the "small plates" list -- my family fights over the stalks this time of year. The fava bean crostini have also been great lately. And the ice cream, of course . . . .

And yes, all four (?) of the regular staff at the bar are just about the perfect neighborhood hosts, and enthusiasts for all the great food and drink there.

1. Burrata di Bufala ($7.50) - the best Burrata I've ever eaten, period. Drizzled with good olive oil, sprinkled with just the right amount of salts, and (importantly) served with fantastic, fresh-cut bread. This is as good as food gets.

So how good was the Burrata? Well, I got a second bottle of the wine to go (they had to open it and pour a sip, by law, then stick the cork back in and bag it). But there's also a second order of Burrata sitting in my fridge, right now. And I can't wait to have at it.

Wholeheartedly agree on the burrata. I was daydreaming about it the other day.

it has probably been almost a year since I've been in. Mistake.

Same circumstances, same sentiment, after the dinner I had at 2 Amys' bar last night.

Burrata di Bufala ($7.50) - the best Burrata I've ever eaten, period. Drizzled with good olive oil, sprinkled with just the right amount of salts, and (importantly) served with fantastic, fresh-cut bread. This is as good as food gets.

Agreed on all counts, with one addition: the pepper freshly ground over-top is another extremely important component. The profile of good olive oil, good quality salt that brought both flavor and texture, and that black pepper, perfectly complements the insanely delicious burrata. And that bread really is fantastic.

Rapini with garlic, vincotto and hot pepper ($5.75) was good, though overdressed. The vincotto brought a great sweetness to the bitter rapini, but even the hot pepper couldn't balance the amount they poured on there. And the garlic wasn't really at all present (or maybe its flavor was lost in the vincotto).

Based on the Suppli a Telefono ($4.95 for 5) a friend shared last night, the quality of this dish has continued to slide: they're smaller than ever, round like arancini, fried for too long (dark, dark brown), and lacking in moisture and tomato flavor within. They truly pale in comparison to real suppli in Rome.

Oddly enough though, the most disappointing component of my meal last night was the pizza. The Two Amys ($8.95), which I loved last time, was extremely bland this go around. It wasn't undercooked -- which seems to be a pretty frequent complaint with 2 Amys' pies -- it was just bland and overly wet. The tomato sauce lacked pop, the cheese brought more liquid and flavor, and the crust actually seemed thinner than usual (if that's even possible).

Given that it's within walking distance of American University, I'll definitely be working 2 Amys into my dinner rotation more frequently. The great service at the bar, the quality of the non-pizza items, and the awesome beer selection (so many of the admittedly expensive Italian beers they've got there, including my Al-Iksir, I've never seen other than at Birch & Barley/Churchkey), all make me want to go back immediately. I'll just be shying away from the pizza in the future, and sticking with the bar menu -- especially the burrata.

Anyone else think that one of the new waiters looks just like Rocks' younger doppelganger?

Dinner tonight was the ongoing seasonal special pizza of twoAmy's sausage, ramps and baby artichokes. Perfectly cooked. The fried soft shell crab sandwich also kicked ass. Perfectly fried. just the right amount of mayo and a couple of excellent onion rings. Mmmmmmmm

The fried soft shell crab sandwich also kicked ass. Perfectly fried. just the right amount of mayo and a couple of excellent onion rings. Mmmmmmmm

Had this recently and found it slightly too starchy and too salty. But still dug it, especially with the totally yummy Terradora diPaolo Falanghina.

too salty

salt is what almost ruined a small plate of eggplant, but a revelatory ricotta, glistened with olive oil, is what saved it.

and i like that ramps have appeared on the special pizza so rampantly this spring. i like artichoke on my pizza as well, though i am not sure that accompanying it with pork wins me over; its flavor then veers too much in the direction of a discordant lemon.

the small lamb meatballs in tomato sauce, if you like meatballs, that pop up as a special appetizer (and appear on the regular abruzzese pizza), are a good deal and would be enough to sauce a big bowl of pasta -- although i suppose there's scant room in the kitchen for pots of boiling water. ask for some bread and you can make a meal out of this.

gragnano was out last weekend, a supply problem, which wasn't a problem for me because i've been exploring the beers on draft (which typically cost $12; one of them has myrrh, which i was able to recognize from my wide familiarity with bathing products). the effervescent wine will return, however, if it hasn't already.

Great small plates over the weekend. Best was the chanterelle mushroom crostino off the specials list. Tons of great mushroom savory flavor with garlic. Also good was the caponata with a sliver of anchovy on top - a nice blend of sweet and salty. Surprisingly for such a simple dish - the zucchini romesco with smoked ricotta was excellent. I don't know what they did to the zucchini besides grill it and coat it in oil and spices - but it was really really good. Less interesting was cheese plate of regular ricotta with chives. It was a very pretty plate, but kind of bland and I didn't like the fruity mostarda which had an odd spice that didn't sit well with me. I partly ordered the cheese plate just to get one of the tarali - italian pretzel biscuits flavored with fennel. it was ok and different, but I think I'll pass next time. All of these were new and fun to me and worth a try (except maybe the regular riccota). We also had our typical order of salted cod croquettes off the regular menu which continue to be amazing. 2 Amys really knows how to fry things well. I love that this place had such good small plates that I felt like I was in an Italian tapas/pinxtos bar, not a pizzeria, and so I didn't even have any pizza. Good to remember for those who want to go and skip the pie (although I do love their pies).

We have plans to eat at Pupatella and Pizzeria Orso in the near future so we thought that we'd hit 2 Amy's to set a proper baseline for comparison. Of course, we were not disappointed. Started with their version of a negroni at the bar, which was a nice tonic on a warm evening and didn't fill me up too much so as to detract from my eating enjoyment. Dinner started with the potato frittata and the sheep's milk ricotta. Both showed how simple things, done properly, can be fantastic. In particular, the salt and the olive oil served with the ricotta elevate the dish to a whole new level. Margherita pizza and marinara pizza to follow. Both with nicely charred, chewy but not dense crust. Again, fantastic. Washed down with Grotta del Sole gragnano. Nicely paced meal with good service despite it being a crowded Friday evening.

If the competition can achieve anything close to this level of execution, we will all be fortunate. We're lucky to have this place in DC>

Apparently the trick in going on a weekend is to go when it's raining. Instead of a long wait for a table and a horrendously noisy dining room, it was calm and more than half empty at noon today, because of a mild rain that seemed to keep all the walkers home.

Daughter insisted on the roasted olives (which are good, but don't really involve the kitchen in any real way), son asked for the potato/prosciutto croquettes (which were fine, but a little light on the prosciutto). Pizzas were spot on, both the Margherita and the Abruzzese (polpettine, garlic, parsley, pecorino). No problems with "soupy" pies, but I've never had that problem here.

Service was excellent - though we didn't order drinks, water glasses never dropped past half-full.

It's not in my hood, so I'm not there often, and I never go when it's batshit-crazy-busy, but I've had nothing but great experiences here.

Apparently the trick in going on a weekend is to go when it's raining.

On Fridays, when they open for lunch at 11:00. We were the first to arrive and had the back porch all to ourselves for several minutes. Nothing spectacular from the meal, just very well-executed dishes (mussel soup, suppli, sardines with peppers, margherita) all-around. I think we like the crust at Motorino in NYC better but it's a really close call. The ice cream here was top-notch as always.

Went yesterday, had really nice cured sardines with great bread (and butter and oil). The pizza I opted for was the one with meatballs, which is quite good. My only complaint was that the center got a bit too droopy/soggy. I'd have preferred a slightly more charred crust, but I know they serve up to what most people like, which is not so much char. It will not keep me away though the pies are good.

My other peeve is that there are no reservations, but you know that going in so you just deal. Carryout is pointless for me as the pie needs to be eaten fresh IMO.

Stopped in for an early dinner last night with the family. Arrived before 6 pm and only had a 5 minute wait.

The meal started well with deviled eggs for the kids and goat cheese/salmon crostini. Wife also tried something with radishes which she said was fantastic.

We ordered three pizzas: Margherita Extra, Two Amys and Two Amy's with Pepperoni. Sadly all three very soupy and disappointing - made us wish we had gone to Mia's instead.

Service was fine.

Not even Spring yet -- when 2 Amys really shines -- but boy . . . the small plates last night were really on. You can have a virtually perfect meal there, just sitting at the bar, without even thinking about pizza. Roasted root vegetables; a roasted artichoke; beets with walnuts and ricotta; and the best -- fava beans with pecorino. And that was all before the vanilla ice cream with chocolate-covered pistachios . . . which I think might be my new favorite, were it not for the roasted pineapple. The ice cream at 2 Amys is one of DC's best-kept secrets. Swept away any regrets for not checking out Boqueria, which probably would have cost me twice as much, and couldn't possibly have offered a better series of dishes than this.

Not even Spring yet -- when 2 Amys really shines -- but boy . . . the small plates last night were really on. You can have a virtually perfect meal there, just sitting at the bar, without even thinking about pizza. Roasted root vegetables; a roasted artichoke; beets with walnuts and ricotta; and the best -- fava beans with pecorino.

Amen. That's why 2 Amys remains one of my favorite restaurants, despite the occasional bashing by those who need calipers to measure the amount of char in the pizza crust in order to enjoy it.

Their charcuterie and cheese plates are also great. I used to work down the street from 2Amys and ate lunch there probably once a week. The basilico, cooked open faced, was my favorite pizza on the menu. Too bad I never make it up there any more. Sigh.

Good food, sort of healthy, and not too expensive were the requests for the evening. The fried artichoke (my favorite version in the city), porchetta, the previously mentioned favas, burratta, orange creamsicle ice cream, and a couple of glasses of wine were perfect. Running into friends in the parking lot made it even better.

I hadn't been to 2 Amys for several years, just because the location is not remotely convenient to either my home or work. But when we found ourselves at an event earlier this week at Sidwell Friends we went in for a late dinner. It's still pretty great. I'm not sure whether I prefer their pizza or Seven Hill, but the 2 Amys pizza is damn good. The wine list has some interesting offerings, and the whole thing is quite affordable. I wish it were more conveniently located for me, because I'd frequent them all of the time.

It had been a long time since I had been back to 2 Amys until we ventured back Saturday night. After a fantastic meal, we won't wait so long between visits. Small plates and pizzas were fantastic.

The highlights:

• Roasted corn salad - there wasn't all that much to this salad other than corn, salt, and olive oil but it was awesome. The perfect time of year for this salad and it didn't disappoint.
  • Sheep's milk ricotta & heirloom tomatoes - again, so simple but the combination of creamy cheese, perfect tomatoes, fruity olive oil and salt made this a home run
  • Arugula salad - peppery arugula tossed with shaved fennel and a vinaigrette that complemented but didn't overwhelm
  • Margherita pizza - as advertised, mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil on a well seasoned, slightly charred crust with good texture (without being chewy)

They also had a cocktail special called a Gin Sophia (Bombay gin, blueberries, sugar, sparkling wine) that my wife liked alot. The bartender made me a fine Negroni as well.

Overall, a fantastic meal and a lovely evening. This place is a gem.

Tremendous special pizza for lunch today:

-squash blossoms, tomato puree, grilled zucchini (thin strips), burrata

Perfectly charted and just the right level of doneness this is one of the best pizza's I've had in quite some time and I'd put it on part with some of my other favorites from their specials menu. As usual the restaurant was hopping with family's but the bar area was empty and I was more than happy to sit and chat with Emily and the other barstaff (who are underrated in my opinion).

The SO and I visited in the early afternoon today.  We'd never been before and he had heard good things about it; being a New Jersey boy, he takes his pizza seriously.  We started with the potato and prosciutto croquettes:  he liked them and I loved them.  We split the Norcia pizza (tomato, salami, grilled peppers, fresh mozzarella, grana).  He was very happy, and thought that the grilled peppers were particularly good.  I enjoyed it as well.

We visited Il Canale in March and he thought the 2 Amys pizza was better.

I meant to try the new La Piquette today but they are closed for lunch, so I went across the street and braved insane pre-Thanksgiving crowds and the city's most uncomfortable bar seats to have lunch at Two Amys instead.  Really glad I did.  Grilled mussels were 3 skewers of 5 medium-sized mussels each served on top of a tasty Romesco sauce with crunchy toasted breadcrumbs.  What a great little dish.  Salt cod croquettes -- simple, smooth and creamy interior, perfectly fried and crisp on the outside -- completed the meal.  I'd also call out the Castagnale (an amber ale brewed with chestnuts) from Birra Del Borgo.  I'm always on the lookout for lower-alcohol beers that pack good flavor, not easy to find, and this one really fit the bill.

All in all, a really enjoyable meal, and, added bonus when I walked outside, first snow of the year!

I will always have a soft spot for 2 Amys, but years of noisy success have seen her settle into a chaotic mix of highlights and not-so-highlights, the latter particularly affecting the items on which they originally made their name.  The pizza, which once set the bar for Neapolitan in the area, is still popular but continues to show weaknesses in the bake, perhaps due to too low an oven temp, chiefly overdone bottoms beneath pale and lightly spotted tops.  The suppli are well-fried, but the risotto within is somewhat bland and underseasoned, as is the perfunctory presentation: unceremoniously rolling around on a dinner plate.  Service was friendly if a bit disorganized, and of course you should be prepared for the crush of children anywhere on the early side of dinnertime.

Fortunately, the rest of the menu is full of reasons to keep going back.  There are other places to get a salumi fix in DC, but 2 Amys offers up generous portions of these thinly sliced, well cared-for morsels.  The rillettes are no longer individually potted, but served in a generous cut with a good bread.  Pickles, olives, lightly cured anchovies (as boquerones, garnished with arbequina olives) remain excellent.  And if you don't mind the rich butterfat content, their ice cream (currently vanilla or snickerdoodle) is a generous bowl of heaven.

I will always have a soft spot for 2 Amys, but years of noisy success have seen her settle into a chaotic mix of highlights and not-so-highlights, the latter particularly affecting the items on which they originally made their name.  The pizza, which once set the bar for Neapolitan in the area, is still popular but continues to show weaknesses in the bake, perhaps due to too low an oven temp, chiefly overdone bottoms beneath pale and lightly spotted tops.  The suppli are well-fried, but the risotto within is somewhat bland and underseasoned, as is the perfunctory presentation: unceremoniously rolling around on a dinner plate.  Service was friendly if a bit disorganized, and of course you should be prepared for the crush of children anywhere on the early side of dinnertime.

Fortunately, the rest of the menu is full of reasons to keep going back.  There are other places to get a salumi fix in DC, but 2 Amys offers up generous portions of these thinly sliced, well cared-for morsels.  The rillettes are no longer individually potted, but served in a generous cut with a good bread.  Pickles, olives, lightly cured anchovies (as boquerones, garnished with arbequina olives) remain excellent.  And if you don't mind the rich butterfat content, their ice cream (currently vanilla or snickerdoodle) is a generous bowl of heaven.

Johnny Monis' advice to me at 2 Amys: it's as good as ever, but you have to order it well-done. I did, and I agreed - it's as good as ever. And certainly, Scott Hager and Debbie Johnson are both as good as ever if you can grab a bar seat.

• Like 1